The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's yet another dull start to the day, but at least it's not raining YET. Today I'm off to a couple a very large factories in Thornton near Blackpool, where I have a couple of quick tests to complete before heading back home. I should just back it back for POETs day.

Back later.

• Like 18

I am attaching a report on the recent extensive tornado outbreak in the Mid West (this week Tuesday into Wednesday).

It’s actually very interesting in its comparison with the most deadly outbreak in US history that took place in the 1920s. How lives can be saved by modern technology, in this case accurate information supplied by radar. 3 deaths compared to 695 dead in 1925.

Anyway there is always someone in ER that really enjoys arcane information (even if it is tinged with schadenfreude):

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=3568

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning.

This morning I'm baffled by the Oscars, firstly the amount of coverage it gets in a normal year, secondly by the even more intense media attention re. this years cock up, thirdly (and most importantly) that someone/some people have made death threats to the two accountants who made the mistake. Why would anyone do this; we truly live in a crazy world.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a slightly overcast village.   The Ally Pally meet up is interesting, Bill has obviously not yet seen my draft operating roster.  What he doesn't know is that he's down to cover for my very long lunch break so that I can attend.........  

Apart from that I look forward to seeing any of you that turn up.

Rick, I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad but glad that a) you were there and b) that his passing appears to have been peaceful. I hope that you are able to find somewhere to live quickly and also grieve properly.

Not sure what today holds but there are some errands to attend to this morning and a parcel to post.  I'll also be boxing up some stacks of magazines to take to France. Then hopefully a bit of modelling this afternoon.  This evening will be spent at the clubroom working on fences and the locoshed.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It has been raining and it looks as if the forecast of occasional showers will be correct.

We had a chat with Matthew last night. He seems keen to return to Ireland so is applying to universities to study after he finishes in Utrecht. I know where Dublin is but had to Google Maynooth.

Nothing too energetic seems to be planned for today.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Woke up this morning with a cold so still feeling lousy despite a good nights sleep. Not a word AFAIK in the British media about the tornados in the Mid West despite them being unusual this time of year, global warming deniers please take note. I would have liked to be at Ally Pally but the pins are not as good as they used to be.

• RMweb Premium

I saw a piece about the tornados on The  BBC news channel yesterday. (very early pre 05:00)

When I was doing history at school, (completed 1975), the History books, newly issued, went up to 1972... So the Cold war was both on the news  and History...

It was very strange in history studying things which only happened a couple of years before...

• Like 10

I still remember the Cuban Missile Crisis. I remember Richard Dimbleby reassuring the country that he thought it would turn out OK but I went to bed thinking the bombs might go off that very night.

Quite worrying for a 12 year old (and obviously why I remember it so vividly).

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Sitting in the lounge with my leg up....again.  As an alternative to Homes Under the Hammer, I'm thinking hard about trains.

We had Q's missing rain last night, absolutely pelted it down most of the night rattling off the windows, so I didn't have a great night.  So a little groggy currently, or more so than usual would be more accurate!

Still thinking of Rick and his family, also John who must have had a shock.  Just what did they hope to achieve by that attack? Pointless.  Like daytime TV.  Ask me how I know....

• Like 1

My condolences Rick. Small comfort but at least he hung on for you.

Happy Friday from the boring borough. No POE for me today as I've got wall to wall meetings with dung flinging lower primates. Tonight, however will be a rather beery respite at the Bottle Shop in Bermondsey. Tomorrow is Freemo. This could be interesting.

No Alley Pally for me. I was asked to bring along my modules for part of the Thamessider's layout but its my only free weekend and that means catching up on domestic duties. (I seem to have a tonne of concrete in the front that still needs breaking.

Enjoy your day, back to meetings.

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Sitting in the lounge with my leg up....again.  As an alternative to Homes Under the Hammer, I'm thinking hard about trains.

We had Q's missing rain last night, absolutely pelted it down most of the night rattling off the windows, so I didn't have a great night.  So a little groggy currently, or more so than usual would be more accurate!

Still thinking of Rick and his family, also John who must have had a shock.  Just what did they hope to achieve by that attack? Pointless.  Like daytime TV.  Ask me how I know....

I used to watch daytime TV when I first retired, but not for long. The problem was finding the wheat among the chaff there are some good daytime programs, its finding them. You could always do as I did and become a 'silver surfer'.

• Like 11

LE after 9 years I think push hupy may not see a need to communicate other than to enquire how long you expect shoes to last.

Baz

That is what I expected Baz but my point was that I have not worn them day in day out in that period. The tread is still good. The concern was that the material between the external surface of the sole and the leather fabric of the shoe is granulating/breaking down and the soles are being destroyed from within.

Its not a hole in the sole allowing the insides to become affected.

Whilst 9 years is a lengthy term the uppers are in good condition as I would have expected them to be.

There was 1 hole in the sole 2 months ago and now both soles have been badly eroded away.

• RMweb Premium

It would seem that a lot of ER's seem to that its the Ally Pally show this weekend, TheQ had it right earlier, but I had to look it up, it would seem that it's not until the end of the main month according to the show diary.

It's started to rain, but luckily I'm just about to start the last of my 2 jobs here, I've just hot to put on all my PPE before signing in at the control room. So all being well, I should get away for just before lunch, fingers crossed for that!

Preston show this weekend, if I'm up early enough, I might give it a try as I've never been to that show before and it's only about 40 minutes drive away, is anyone else going?

Back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It's raining and the seaweed twirlers of Exeter got that right - here's hoping they were also correct with their guess estimate of when it will cease.

When I was at school A Level History ended 52 years previously - in 1914 - and that still strikes me as a reasonable distance in time to have allowed for some rational reflection and the emergence of some well argued, and hopefully not wholly convergent, lines of thought and writing.

Last night's branch users' group (BUG) meeting was quite good and Mark Hopwood, MD of GWR, did a pretty good presentation on a 'warts an' all' basis plus handling questions very well on a seemingly equally frank basis and it was good to hear that he and BUG have got one of the local MPs very much on side and she is asking searching questions of DfT and NR about line speed improvements on the branch as well as sparing time for some site visits with Mark Hopwood and meeting the relevant reps of BUG. While the lady clearly has some other very important tasks on her plate at present it was really good to hear that she's paying close attention to the concerns of some of her constituents.

Good to hear that the Ally Pally meeting sounds like being much more successful than the increasingly desultorily attended ones at Warley - all I have to do is try to remember where and when.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Jamie,

What do you know about H W Percy?

Bill

At the moment nothing at all but the name sort of rings a bell. PM me.

As an aside, History ended in 1914 and that must be right as the authors of the best history book ever written, messers Sellers and Yeatman said so.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

At the moment nothing at all but the name sort of rings a bell. PM me.

As an aside, History ended in 1914 and that must be right as the authors of the best history book ever written, messers Sellers and Yeatman said so.

Jamie

Jamie,

I've sent you an e-mail.

Bill

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I used to watch daytime TV when I first retired, but not for long. The problem was finding the wheat among the chaff there are some good daytime programs, its finding them. You could always do as I did and become a 'silver surfer'.

I am both silver, and a surfer, Phil! 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Although I'm late here today I have been up for a few hours. I needed to be early because I was expecting Ricky the Sparks to come and fit some security lighting and a new external power socket. He arrived on time and is having fun outside in the rain. I am helping with tea and sympathy.

RtS: Just about to wire up the socket....fuse OFF for safety....

GB: Fancy a cuppa?.....just putting the kettle on.....funny it doesn't seem to be heating up....ah. that'd be it the fuse is OFF....I can fix that.....

:jester:

• Like 1