The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I think Dom has or had a robot cleaner. I don't think they have built one yet to deal with spaniel hair!

I thought I might get one, but with two dogs I have to empty the vac twice for three rooms. Those robot things don't look like they can hold anything like enough carp, unless they incinerate it as they go around?

also never drink tea with Russian gentlemen

and never offer to help someone doing bridge repairs, carry bricks around, if you do, never carry any in your pockets.

When the arrested women said that they didnt know the liquid they rubbed on Kim was poisonous the Malaysian Policeman asked them why they wore gloves.

The other one is beware of Russians carrying furled umbrellas.

Btw (again) a quote I’ve heard on both sides of the Atlantic in the past week:

“Cowards (or Worried men) die ten thousand times, the Brave (or Hero’s) die just the once. "

Anyone know the source for this? Is it Cicero?

Cheers, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

I just found it. Shakespeare,  “Julius Caesar”.

Correctly: “Cowards die many times before their deaths. The brave experience death only once”

Meaning they imagine their deaths before attempting anything and then don’t do it. The application in both cases was the avoidance of trying something new.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 12

Ian (Abel)

How about this flight Delay?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39130580

Tony

They probably were annoyed that it got past security AND hadn't paid the correct fare for the class of travel    :jester:

Update: The flight Jemma took to nowhere yesterday ended up being rescheduled for today, landed 10 minutes ago making it 15.5 hrs. LATE for the record books. That's for a flight scheduled for 1:35 flight time! :O

• RMweb Premium

I did usually buy two of each, one for the collection and one to enjoy - and please - there's no 'e' in whisky :blum:

As I bought most of them at distilleries or when I came across them 'by chance' on various holidays and visits the actual collecting of them has been a big part of the pleasure.

I doubt I could resist drinking bottle 2.

There is no "e" in Whisky here, just an annoying American spell checker.

Highland Park is my favourite... Careful checking of the above spelling has been made, along with several alterations..

I once took a flight to the Falklands, we set off from Brize Norton, a couple of hours late, then flew for about half an hour, then dumped the fuel for the 4136 mile fight to Ascension over the Bristol channel, before returning to Brize. We set off 24 hours later, and eventually getting to Mount Pleasant about 52 hours after check in....

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14

They probably were annoyed that it got past security AND hadn't paid the correct fare for the class of travel    :jester:

Update: The flight Jemma took to nowhere yesterday ended up being rescheduled for today, landed 10 minutes ago making it 15.5 hrs. LATE for the record books. That's for a flight scheduled for 1:35 flight time! :O

The latest I’ve been was 11.5 hours on a Virgin flight from Heathrow to Newark. Due to cracked windscreen, they thought they had a replacement but didn’t - by the time they told us this everything  else had left. It was a late flight - I’ve never flown Virgin since.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Correctly: “Cowards die many times before their deaths. The brave experience death only once”

Meaning they imagine their deaths before attempting anything and then don’t do it. The application in both cases was the avoidance of trying something new.

Best, Pete.

Coincidentally, cleaner Alison, doing her usual doomy-gloomy about the faithless married lover, has quoted a line from a contemporary song, probably French. "A soul that's constantly afraid of dying doesn't learn how to live." Perhaps the Bard was an influence.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Pepsico seem to have had their claws into the "Tudor" crisps plant for a long time. They seem to have two site managing directors - fire one of them first as that would save money .. I think that I am making up for you lad... many apologies but it seems that the 90 day consultation is a joke... typical poor management.....

Baz

They are saying that the closure is still just a proposal and no final decision has been made. However, looking at the glossy, full colour, ring bound pack that was given to every employee, detailing to the nth degree the various processes ahead, including what they will be doing to help employees find alternative employment, it looks as if the decision has very much been made and that they just going through the steps needed to fulfil their legal obligations.

Evenin' all.

My son came around at lunch time with a present of pancakes from (ex-) Wifey. Jolly nice too.

I'm sure I saw a butterfly earlier. Is this likely/possible on March 1st?

Chrisf, I hope you are going to match Ivan's starring TV role this evening (Question Time coming from Bedford).

Best wishes

Ed

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

On the positive side I got a confirmation letter today of the appointment to see the surgeon on Monday. Slightly less positive was an hours proper research into my injury, and the long term consequences.  Wish I hadn't really, but I like to know and understand these things. Not a particularly good long term prognosis it would appear, as my foot full of crunched bones is worse than all of the surgical examples I could find. :-(  Bu&&er.

God grief, Neil.... and you did all this tripping on a walk.  I wont ask you for your lottery numbers.

Perhaps they only show the prettier feet on the internet and yours isn't as bad as you think.

Not that I'm saying that your feet aren't pretty, you understand.

.......we will find out a few months down the road when I start trying to walk on it.

A few months? 

Keep the faith, as they say.

• Like 3

Then there are the candidates for the Darwin Awards....

• RMweb Gold

The latest I’ve been was 11.5 hours on a Virgin flight from Heathrow to Newark. Due to cracked windscreen, they thought they had a replacement but didn’t - by the time they told us this everything  else had left. It was a late flight - I’ve never flown Virgin since.

Best, Pete.

We had a 2 hour delay a few years ago on a Virgin flight from Heathrow to LAX due to a crash on the M1 delaying the flight crew.

However I do tend to prefer Virgin over BA partly due to their website works and BA's often doesn't when I try to book flights and BA only having the fish dish left when they get to us with the meal.

• RMweb Premium

longest delay.. overnight as someone bent their light aeroplane on the runway at Leeds Bradford... BMI eventually got us to Heathrow but Qantas did all sorts of changes to get us to Singapore and Cairns.. but then Qantas in OZ cancelled all of our other flights.. people in Cairns reinstated them and made sure we were given seats with extra legroom for all of our flights.

Don't get me going about virgin ontheridiculous atlantic... only time I have ever been bumped down on a flight.. and no apologies either! and then my colleagues on a later flight had to help to pay for some fuel as the plane couldn't get to orlando..

Baz

• RMweb Premium

God grief, Neil.... and you did all this tripping on a walk.  I wont ask you for your lottery numbers.

Perhaps they only show the prettier feet on the internet and yours isn't as bad as you think.

Not that I'm saying that your feet aren't pretty, you understand.

A few months? 

Keep the faith, as they say.

All true, unfortunately.  I was warned of the possible long term consequences when in hospital,  but I was still full of really strong stuff at the time.  As the memories of the discussion come back I have been following them up, and..... :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

• RMweb Gold

Highland Park is my favourite... 

Mine too and thank you very very much for reminding me that I bought myself a bottle for Christmas and tucked it away in the cellar cupboard under the stairs where I have just discovered it, still unopened!

:imsohappy:  :drinks:

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

MiL was told at the memory clinic that although her numerical skills are good she seemed a bit vague about the cost of everyday items. She said she only goes shopping for inessential items, other stuff gets delivered. She said when she was young, if they needed anything a servant would get it, after she was married her husband handled all the finances, she in the early days had accounts everywhere and then a credit card. She said because her late husband had been a good manager she didn't need to worry about pennies now. However I know she is competent enough not to be taken advantage of. You may recall the taxi driver who tried to overcharge her. When I told Matthew he asked if the cab driver was OK afterwards.

The memory people want her to go to a sing-song and laughter group. She said she will go but I suspect she will last about as long as I would. Her hearing problems will mean she has to turn off her hearing aids in noisy situations so it won't be fun. She does get out. She visits other people in her block of flats, and she goes to the gym and plays bridge 3 times a week.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8

Went for my eye test today and was told that there had been little change in my eyes from last time. The optometrist also said to carry on with my present varifocal glasses although I would benefit from stronger reading glasses. I thought that was very thoughtful of her and a change from the last bloke who seemed to have "Pressure them into buying a pair of glasses" as part of his job description. Glad to hear that some of our number who are ailing are on the mend.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 8

On the news today has been the story of the South Lakes Animal Park at Dalton-in-Furness. Apparently nearly 500 animals have died there in the last four years and there are calls for it to be closed. Among that 500 will be many small mammals that have a short lifespan anyway; anyone who has kept small rodents as pets will know that. We have been there several times and thought it no worse than other zoos we have seen. Especially impressed by the tiger enclosures; where the animals are fed by the keepers climbing a ladder to place a chunk of meat atop a telegraph pole. With everything cleared away the tigers are released and climb the poles to grab the meat. Important safety tip; if you are being chased by a tiger don't waste what could be your last few moments on earth climbing a tree. Shoot it with the gun that every sensible person carries into tiger country. The tiger, not the tree. We have been in zoos where big cats are fed with chunks of meat thrown through a hatch near ground level. 

If the local council denies a renewal of the licence and the zoo closes what will happen to the animals? Some will go to other zoos but there is already a surplus of certain breeds. Presumably any that are not wanted will be killed. I don't see how that can be an advance on the situation pertaining at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

On the news today has been the story of the South Lakes Animal Park at Dalton-in-Furness. Apparently nearly 500 animals have died there in the last four years and there are calls for it to be closed. Among that 500 will be many small mammals that have a short lifespan anyway; anyone who has kept small rodents as pets will know that. We have been there several times and thought it no worse than other zoos we have seen. Especially impressed by the tiger enclosures; where the animals are fed by the keepers climbing a ladder to place a chunk of meat atop a telegraph pole. With everything cleared away the tigers are released and climb the poles to grab the meat. Important safety tip; if you are being chased by a tiger don't waste what could be your last few moments on earth climbing a tree. Shoot it with the gun that every sensible person carries into tiger country. The tiger, not the tree. We have been in zoos where big cats are fed with chunks of meat thrown through a hatch near ground level. 

If the local council denies a renewal of the licence and the zoo closes what will happen to the animals? Some will go to other zoos but there is already a surplus of certain breeds. Presumably any that are not wanted will be killed. I don't see how that can be an advance on the situation pertaining at the moment.

Not exactly small pet rodents...

The documents submitted to the council contain details of incidents between December 2013 and September 2016 a jaguar that chewed off its own paw, seven healthy lion cubs and five baboons that were "euthanised" because there was no room for them, a rhino that was crushed to death by its partner, and a giraffe that was shot after collapsing.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Walker's crisps are closing the factory where my son works but not until later in the year, December is the estimate. Happy Christmas.  This is bad enough news but marginally better than we feared yesterday. He seems remarkably upbeat about it.

Moving on, a good while ago I started collecting malt whisky, mostly miniatures but some larger ones too. Unfortunately, every now and again they need dusting. Today is now and again and I'm wondering why I bothered starting the collection. I'm sure I will appreciate them again once the dusting is finished and they are back on display.

Do you want empties?

Or better still assistance with emptying the full ones you already have?

• Like 6