The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

You need to get her to work with you on some projects. How about teaching her to run the milling machine for instance?

I did introduce Lorna to the air stapler the other day. After she learned to deal with the minor explosion every time she pulled the trigger she went mad looking for more things to staple. She has also expressed an interest in running a lathe, although I'm a tad nervous about that. Maybe I'll start her off on the little Toyo. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

No way! If she gets the hang of the lathe and mill, I will not be permitted any machine time.

Besides, if she is in the workshop for any length of time, she's bound to find the secret chocolate biscuit and devon toffee stash.

If I let her alone with the air nailer it would only be a short time before we found the local JW team nailed to one of the willows by the muddy hollow.

• RMweb Gold

He has been doing that but she's got a steady boyfriend already Vincent and he has been "approved" by all the family!  (and friends as everybody adores her)  :yes: She's also got a younger sister 12yo going on 16 so I suspect he's probably watching out for her more at the moment

• Like 2

So:

Tetanus - last I had was thirty years ago - I'd had my five in a lifetime by then. 

Bins:

Black other blue lid - mixed recycling, but no black plastic - paper/cardboard caddy inside - fortnightly

Brown - garden waste - fortnighlty

Black - general - the other fortnightly fortnightly

Story about last tetanus jab. I had to have it because I was scratched by a swan that has fishing line caught in its beak. ungratelful bu99er!

So off to local hospital on a Sunday afternoon to receive jab.

Several weeks later (this is when I was married to first one) we're in a pub, and this rather gorgeous blonde starts talking to me Wife no 1 was not amused. The chatting up continued for some time as she was trying to identify where she knew me from. Wife mk 1 was still not amused, and was looking daggers at blonde.

Eventually (with lots of not amused and daggers) we got to what she did for a living. Turned out she was a sister at local hospital. And she'd given my the tetanus jab. 

in my bum.

Now I'm still not sure if that's how I wanted to be recognised.

(Wife mk 1 and I parted not long after that.)

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Gold

Took ages for my smallpox jab scar to go. I needed it a trip to Wales when I was a child.

Yes, in 1962, a gentleman from Pakistan arrived in Cardiff carrying the smallpox virus. I remember the huge queue at the doctor's surgery, as everyone waited for their jab when this was discovered.

It killed 19 people, but not the original carrier!

• RMweb Gold

I found out yesterday that my horn is very loud. Leaving a roundabout to join an M25 slip road, the car alongside me (in the lane for those continuing right ) just started to move into my lane while I was still in it. I couldn't move left as that was full of other traffic (joining from the other direction, the lanes are marked, I was in the correct one). Either he thought he could accelerate past me or somehow hadn't seen me. I braked hard and sounded the horn to deal with both situations. If I hadn't braked he would have side swiped me and his tiny car would not have bounced off into some barriers. I was behind him down the slip road. As soon as we got onto the M25 he moved over to the left hand lane and slowed down. Aditi said I had probably woken him up.

Compliments on a cracking picture.

You must be proud of her.

Love her to bits - she's a pain for her parents, though. That's her camera she's holding, she's following in the family photography footsteps. I'm looking forward to taking her and her cousin Henry (Laurence's brother) to France for a week in August - should be interesting!

• Like 18

Eventually (with lots of not amused and daggers) we got to what she did for a living. Turned out she was a sister at local hospital. And she'd given my the tetanus jab. 

in my bum.

Surprised she didn't say;

"Sorry - I didn't recognize you with your clothes on."

• Like 1

Last word on bin collections from me. Years ago rubbish used to be collected in steel bins without linings, a dirty heavy job for the binmen. Then black bin bags were issued that were big enough to line the bins, better for the binmen of course. Except that some householders did not use a steel dustbin; they had an old steel dolly tub that was barrel shaped i.e. fatter in the middle. This meant that when filled with rubbish the contents stuck in the tub and had to be manhandled out by the binmen. Lovely. Told to me by one-time binman Harry Lewis who I believe is now chairman of Morecambe 0 gauge model railway club.

PS. I refuse to use the terms "binperson" and "personhandled".  

• Like 10

Lovely. Told to me by one-time binman Harry Lewis who I believe is now chairman of Morecambe 0 gauge model railway club.

PS. I refuse to use the terms "binperson" and "personhandled".  

Good to see it as 0 gauge instead of O gauge!

How are you emphasizing 'refuse' here? RE-fuse or REF-use?

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Love her to bits - she's a pain for her parents, though. That's her camera she's holding, she's following in the family photography footsteps. I'm looking forward to taking her and her cousin Henry (Laurence's brother) to France for a week in August - should be interesting!

Hope the CT goes well - it should locate the 'problem' - so lets hope it does and that he mends soon.  In the meantime RMwebbers are with you.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Another good day collecting data, that's it now the list is complete. On my way home I called in at Waltons Model Shop in Altrincham and ordered myself a Merchant Navy Class "Royal Mail" and I still got home before lunch. As Sheila was still out at her Zumba class when I got in, my first task was to put the kettle on and make myself a cup of tea, which I drank as I finished off my computer work, which nicely timed to finish just in time for lunch.

After lunch I went down to the cellar to programme the 4 servo drive modules. These were then connected to the control panel, then the servos connected to all the outputs 16 in total. Each servo module has 2 separate 12v supplies, 1 feeds the control circuit and 1 feeds the servo drive circuit, each supply is daisy chained to the next module. Everything was then tested to see if it all worked and I'm pleased to say it did. Once the testing was completed I roughly placed all the items on the boards and marked where they will be placed. So now I can start laying track, drilling holes for the point actuating rods as well as planning the cable runs underneath the boards.

Dick. Fingers crossed for Laurence.

Goodnight all

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hope the CT goes well - it should locate the 'problem' - so lets hope it does and that he mends soon.  In terms of granddaughter she seems to be a 'chip off an 'old' block' so with your guidance she should do well.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

So:

Tetanus - last I had was thirty years ago - I'd had my five in a lifetime by then. 

Bins:

Black other blue lid - mixed recycling, but no black plastic - paper/cardboard caddy inside - fortnightly

Story about last tetanus jab. I had to have it because I was scratched by a swan that has fishing line caught in its beak. ungreatlful bu99er!

Several weeks later (this is when I was married to first one) we're in a pub, and this rather gorgeous blonde starts talking to me Wife no 1 was not amused. The chatting up continued for some time as she was trying to identify where she knew me from. Wife mk 1 was still not amused, and was looking daggers at blonde.

in my bum.

I can well believe Wife mk1 thought there must have been more to it than just seeing your bum to lodge you in her memory. I think the blonde may have fancied you.

Don

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, just caught up.

Smiffy, I hope that the CT gives you all some answers, you've also got a great granddaughter there.

GDB, it certainly looks as if Abbie is worth throwing a party for.

On a totally different track I was always told that Muffin the mule was an Irish sexual Offence.

On that note I'll say good night all.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

So:

Bins:

Story about last tetanus jab. I had to have it because I was scratched by a swan that has fishing line caught in its beak. ungreatlful bu99er!

in my bum.

Surprised she didn't say;

"Sorry - I didn't recognize you with your clothes on."

Even worse, she could have said "I knew I'd seen your face somewhere before." :jester:

• Like 13