The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Ian, we didn't work in the UK for very long either but between us it comes to more than $1000 a month.

Fill in the form with plain speaking explanations for the difficult sections. I found the UK much easier to deal with than the US soc sec, and you might get to talk to a nice man with a funny accent.

Andy

WOW!!! I'd certainly take a even a couple of hundred if I could manage it, that's a Red/Blue loco every other month at that rate :)  :senile: I'll have to get on that.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 19

I really want to retire but my pension was trashed when a company that I had worked at for over 12 years, borrowed from the pension fund then went bust. This was before the laws changed to better protect against such situations. Plus I have quite a few years to go before normal retirement age but got to consider my health aswell as these chest pains only occur when thinking of work or at work.

Anyway just two more days of work this week then we have a show although it appears that we are one operator short at the moment so that will make the weekend a little harder if the layout owner can't find an extra victim to help out. Might have to get my other half do By a little bit of operating but she isn't keen on changing turnouts etc. One slip up and you can have a 12 car EMU crashing into another. Done that myself a few times.

Ian,

Do you need an operator for the weekend?

Bill

• Like 14

Thats what concerns me really but despite that we can pay the mortgage off the savings won't last till retirement age so I need to find something easier to do even if it pays way less. However many less well paid jobs are also stressful these days.

Not sure if it's still possible to do it in the UK, but another other option might be to cash in on your house and move to a less expensive area. If we had not said adios to CA I would still be working. It wasn't a difficult decision for us because we planned to retire here when we bought this house in '95.

Any change you make is likely to mean a significant upheaval. I suppose it's just a case of deciding your priorities.

• Like 1

WOW!!! I'd certainly take a even a couple of hundred if I could manage it, that's a Red/Blue loco every other month at that rate :)  :senile: I'll have to get on that.

As mentioned, when you do claim your US soc sec, they are going to keep pestering you and ask "are you receiving or are you entitled to receive a foreign pension". AFAIK, the only way I could definitively answer that question was to file the stinking application with the UK soc sec, so you might as well get it over with :)

• RMweb Gold

I have just been onto the super duper website for those of us (born after 1951) who will get the "New" State Pension. I have enough Natonal Insurance years to get the full state pension. I don't seem to have any missing years since I started work.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I have just been onto the super duper website for those of us (born after 1951) who will get the "New" State Pension. I have enough Natonal Insurance years to get the full state pension. I don't seem to have any missing years since I started work.

I'm sure I have enough but I had better double check. Do you get credits for years in higher education?

Don't forget you may get less than the full amount because you had some relief on NI contributions when contributing to the teacher's pension scheme.

• Like 3

Today was my first guarding session on the Ratty this year. Everything was reassuringly enjoyable, even if I did get a bit cold on one run - but that will serve me right for being in an outside carriage in February! It was surprisingly busy, but It is half term in these parts, so there were a lot of young children around. One poor little girl will have a good bruise on her head, after she and her brother were rushing to see us getting River Mite onto the turntable, but she tripped and fell headlong into the railings around the turntable. After a few tears, she did cheer up, I am pleased to report.

I am just relieved that I was scheduled for today and not tomorrow, when Storm Doris will hit us. I can't imagine it will be as busy tomorrow!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Work went remarkably well, my first call was the site in Furness Vale, which was the one that I didn't have a company name for. The first door that I knocked on was the company in question and I was greeted by a rather lovely young lady too. Next was Buxton and by 10:00 I'd completed 2 sites and was even able to make myself a cup of tea at one of our own sites which was next to the company in question. However the trip from Buxton to Hyde was pretty awful, but that is just the nature of the amount of traffic and the roads.

Back home for lunch after which I was able to spend another hour or so in the workshop, but still nowhere near sorting the problem. But what I have discovered is that I have half a dozen rogue transceivers, which I will need to replace, luckily as they were provided faulty, they will be a free exchange. But I still have the same problem with the outputs, I think the next step is to use a length of proper data cable and see how that goes, as isolating the two 12v supplies made no difference whatsoever.

Tomorrow is the departmental monthly meeting so I doubt if I'll get anytime in the workshop tomorrow so I expect I'll have to wait until weekend before I next have a play.

Goodnight all

Edited due to fecking spell checker getting it wrong!

Well I'm not going to own up to it am I?

Edited by BSW01

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure I have enough but I had better double check. Do you get credits for years in higher education?

Don't forget you may get less than the full amount because you had some relief on NI contributions when contributing to the teacher's pension scheme.

Yes it did include the reduction due to being contracted out of the additional state pension. The reduction is about £10 a week. The quote I received does rely on my surviving until April this year! My birthday is in September, I should receive a letter 4 months before that. It seems likely to happen as they have my records online. Have you a government portal ID? You can check all sorts of things!

My full years started 74 to 75. It does mention records for 3 years before that but they are I assume from holiday jobs, not full years.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

Back home for lunch after which I was able to spend another hour or so in the workshop, but still nowhere near sorting the problem. But what I have discovered is that I have half a dozen rouge transceivers, which I will need to replace, luckily as they were provided faulty, they will be a free exchange. But I still have the same problem with the outputs, I think the next step is to use a length of proper data cable and see how that goes, as isolating the two 12v supplies made no difference whatsoever.

Now I do my best to understand all this electrical chat, honest, Brian, but I thought that rouge was something that jewellers and young ladies used ...?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now I do my best to understand all this electrical chat, honest, Brian, but I thought that rouge was something that jewellers and young ladies used ...?

I think he's just making it up

Coat, hat, etc

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Evening all. A late one due to a long night of marking and prep plus the continued job hunting. It stepped up pace today after being spoken to like a piece of dirt this morning and having had my judgement and professionalism questioned. Very angry!

• RMweb Gold

Mick you only said that because he put rouge and not that primrosey colour.

When we were looking for our first house many many years ago, we found one estate agent description that sounded quite nice, I said the only thing against it was the primrose bathroom. Aditi said she thought it could be quite nice ( at that time avocado or brown were "popular"). I said I didn't like pink bathrooms. I had the error of my lack of understanding explained.

• RMweb Premium

When we were looking for our first house many many years ago, we found one estate agent description that sounded quite nice, I said the only thing against it was the primrose bathroom. Aditi said she thought it could be quite nice ( at that time avocado or brown were "popular"). I said I didn't like pink bathrooms. I had the error of my lack of understanding explained.

My bathroom is yellow. Not primrose but a proper yellow.

Painted long before I took up my yellow model fetish, I hasten to add.

The first house I bought had bright pink painted walls - it was an elderly lady who lived there previously.

As I didn't have time to fully redecorate before moving in, I simply painted the walls white.

Three coats later, it still had a faint pink glow.

When I finally stripped the walls back, under the many layers of paint the wallpaper was brown and yellow. Now that was truly horrendous

What were they thinking?

Cheers,

Mick

Ian, we didn't work in the UK for very long either but between us it comes to more than $1000 a month.

Fill in the form with plain speaking explanations for the difficult sections. I found the UK much easier to deal with than the US soc sec, and you might get to talk to a nice man with a funny accent.

Andy

I agree with Andy - the UK Pensions people I've dealt with, either in writing or by phone, have all been very pleasant and knowledgeable. (Once you get tuned in to the accent!)

• Like 9