The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Thanks Ian for mentioning 'President's Day'  - that at least explains the rather peculiar sales email I've had from Hewlett Packard but I'm still not at all sure what is meant to happen to his Trumpship today.

Mike,

Like pretty much ANY excuse over here, especially where a public holiday is involved, there are HUGE sales advertised/offered, which as likely as not amount to the "standard everyday weekend special discounts" that are advertised <sigh>

In general, public holidays over here, especially the more "minor ones" are simply an excuse to have government agencies and anyone else who wants to join in, take a day off, and the shopping world be open and vying for extra business with the pretense of larger than normal savings "for a limited time, this week only" which usually rolls right into the NEXT exceptional shopping extravaganza. :O

#45 probably is trying to decide which nation he next should tweet about that he has inside information on where some terrorist attack hasn't happened :jester:  :banghead:

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

My word, Five of the clock and still remarkably light.

More cork underlay cut and laid without slicing a finger off.

Things are looking up.

My model railway task was supposed to be simple. Remove body from new loco, insert decoder, check for visible faults, program, play.

However I made the mistake of looking at the Bachmann instruction sheet. Inside the loco body there was no pcb with 8 pin decoder socket. At least there was a motor. So I removed the tender body and there was a pcb but with 21 pins. Perhaps "split from sets" locos are different batches. I did amazingly have a 21 pin decoder and all is well.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Quite amused watching  ITV London News where the main emphasis was on this evening's football match. They decided to send a reporter to have a look at Sutton along with the team's "most famous" supporter ( one Tim Vine ) It took me a couple of seconds to realise that the footage wasn't in Sutton but actually in Cheam Village. 
I suppose Cheam looks a bit nicer on TV than  Sutton High Street.  :scratchhead:

Either that or maybe Mr Vine lives there.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

E'ning all. Been raining since about noon, which isn't a good time for this to happen... :jester:

mobile.159a2lgp.jpg

Which of course meant I had to take 1126 out of service. It sure doesn't get boring out there... :mosking:

Sending best wishes to Neil in particular, as well as anyone else in need!

• RMweb Gold

Quite amused watching  ITV London News where the main emphasis was on this evening's football match. They decided to send a reporter to have a look at Sutton along with the team's "most famous" supporter ( one Tim Vine ) It took me a couple of seconds to realise that the footage wasn't in Sutton but actually in Cheam Village. 

I suppose Cheam looks a bit nicer on TV than  Sutton High Street.  :scratchhead:

The subway entrance at Cheam used to advertise a skool that was for 'Girls and small boys' which sounded a trifle creepy.

And if they were prepared to substitute Cheam for Sutton, why not go the whole hog and film at Nonesuch!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. First off many happy returns to Chris and hope things are looking up Neil.

He doesn't live in Railway Terrace, or is that East Cheam does he.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam? and no I don't believe so Phil. :jester:

Incidentally Alan Simpson ( of Galton & Simpson) who died a couple of weeks ago went to my old school  but long before my time.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Well, the Lasagna at MiL’s was indeed very good - although I am still mystified by the Southern (Italy) preference for the crunchy bits found in the corners of the pan. My SiL’s almost came to blows over it...

Best, Pete.

Pete 

I would be in the fight as well.. the crunchy bits are the best bits... its a bit like Parmesan Cheese .. take rind off, throw away the middle and eat rind with a nice glass of red wine.. preferably a Chianti with a black cock, a bunch of grapes or a cherub with a bow and arrow on the neck label!

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

had to cancel the course tonight as the room was double booked.. another date has been arranged.

trains played with today... some repairs are required!

Happy belated birthday Chris F!

Baz

Trump is 6’ 2” - but have you noticed his tiny hands? The strange movements he makes with them?

It’s like the visual equivalent of an “ear worm” - my Wife and I only watch his hands  to try and duplicate the movements, it’s too weird. I’d like to know if Mike Yarwood is practicing them.

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

Yet another productive day which is becoming a bit of a habit. However, it my go rapidly downhill from Wednesday when I'm back on site with the cockwomble client.

The journey in this morning was interesting thanks to other road users. The first one was a Mercedes driver who couldn't wait like a normal human being and nearly took out the front of my car turning across the front of me. The second was a cyclist who for reasons known only to himself decided to ignore the red light against him and proceeded to ride across the front of me. I've no problems with cyclists, it's just the ones like this who give the rest a bad reputation.

NHN - I hope the recovery goes well. Maybe we ought to arrange a race between you and Sherry. :jester:

Dick - I hope that you've managed to get the sugar levels back to something near normal.

Flavio - I have to agree with your synopsis of SS-GB last night.

ChrisF - Happy Birthday

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

On the train waiting for it to depart LBG.

Had a great evening out with Andrew C, his brother from across the pond and family our other halves etc Needed a good evening to calm me down. Talked a bit of #45 (I like that term Ian A) tales.

Hopefully enough relaxation for tomorrow's visit to the doctors.

First task tomorrow will be to start the ailing battery in the car to get it to mums place and swap cars.

Trump is 6’ 2” - but have you noticed his tiny hands? The strange movements he makes with them?

It’s like the visual equivalent of an “ear worm” - my Wife and I only watch his hands  to try and duplicate the movements, it’s too weird. I’d like to know if Mike Yarwood is practicing them.

Best, Pete.

Pete et al,

I presume you've possibly seen "this" then --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSclEtLXJ8 watch the whole thing, it's actually scary!

Forget just the hands, the hand-shake is positively odd! :O

Had a great evening out with Andrew C, his brother from across the pond and family our other halves etc Needed a good evening to calm me down. Talked a bit of #45 (I like that term Ian A) tales.

Not mine originally, being used/promoted on the 'net as the best way to talk about him, as using his name merely pushes his "brand", so #45 is a better non-brand alternative. :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

I managed to escape from the orifice just a lunch, my Google search earlier came up with the goods and I was able to drive straight there, gather the information required and be home about 2:15. But as Sheila was busy ironing, I disappeared to workshop and tried to find out what the programming problem was that I was having yesterday. Several modules were selected at random and reprogrammed, then fitted into the control panel and tested, I had a 100% failure rate. After 45 minutes of this I came to the conclusion that I either had a faulty programmer, or I was doing something wrong. So at that point, I did what most of us would do when something isn't working properly, I put the kettle on (it doesn't suit me), made myself a cup of tea and then I got out the instruction manual. I could not find any reference to the problems that I was having, so I put it down and started to inspect my eyelids. They hadn't been closed more than 2 minutes when I suddenly realised, the code for programming the modules is a hexadecimal code, the maximum number of modules I can have is 64 pairs, but in hexadecimal form, that is 64 = 3F, I'd been trying to program the modules with 40+, 50+, 60+ etc, all numbers greater than 3F, doh!

Anyway, I'll have another try again tomorrow, if I can get back home early enough.

Goodnight all.

Evening all. Birthday wishes to chrisf and healing wishes to NHN and anyone else who needs them. I arrived home tonight to a very nice PM from Peter BB regarding the comments I had made about Sileby, and the fact I was unable to help out on the day. It was a kind message and lessened the blow that greeted me when I arrived home. Amber has an invite to a birthday party on Sunday. It's timing and location will, almost certainly, cause me to miss the Trowell Model Railway Show. That was a disappointment as it is always a good little show. Usually I take the leaflets for our show to this event. As yet, of course, I am not sure whether I want to press on with organising it. It is decision I will have to make it the next few days.

The new term began today. The first day out 35 teaching days up until Easter has been negotiated. It went ok although there were one or two annoyances. It seems there are plenty of additional meetings thrown my way this week, plus extra cover. Once again the evening was lost to the marking in triplicate approach that has landed on us.

I have had the check of the job pages, but sadly there are no suitable posts available at present.

Night all.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone

I managed to escape from the orifice just a lunch, my Google search earlier came up with the goods and I was able to drive straight there, gather the information required and be home about 2:15. But as Sheila was busy ironing, I disappeared to workshop and tried to find out what the programming problem was that I was having yesterday. Several modules were selected at random and reprogrammed, then fitted into the control panel and tested, I had a 100% failure rate. After 45 minutes of this I came to the conclusion that I either had a faulty programmer, or I was doing something wrong. So at that point, I did what most of us would do when something isn't working properly, I put the kettle on (it doesn't suit me), made myself a cup of tea and then I got out the instruction manual. I could not find any reference to the problems that I was having, so I put it down and started to inspect my eyelids. They hadn't been closed more than 2 minutes when I suddenly realised, the code for programming the modules is a hexadecimal code, the maximum number of modules I can have is 64 pairs, but in hexadecimal form, that is 64 = 3F, I'd been trying to program the modules with 40+, 50+, 60+ etc, all numbers greater than 3F, doh!

Anyway, I'll have another try again tomorrow, if I can get back home early enough.

Goodnight all.

I find Hexadecimal hard to get to grip with Octal is so much easier wouldn't 64 actually be 40 in Hex  so 0 to 3F is 0 to 63 the 64 pairs?

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I find Hexadecimal hard to get to grip with Octal is so much easier wouldn't 64 actually be 40 in Hex  so 0 to 3F is 0 to 63 the 64 pairs?

Don

I used to use hex when programming PLCs. Often up to FFFF (decimal 65535, 1111111111111111 binary). Usually with analog to digital and back again conversion. Calculating the equivalent 4-20mA into the physical world as well. I quite liked maths.

But on a simpler note:

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7