The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Wow, what a game.

Falcons were two tries down in the first five minutes and were losing to Northampton 15-24 at half time. Dean Richards the coach must have had stern words at halftime because we ran in four tries in the first eighteen minutes of the second half and five in total to their one, running out 46 - 31 winners. Fantastic. A great game and good company, what a pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Sorry no ratings can't see how to on this. Surgery meant scews and plates in quite a bit of pain. Laters. Thank you all.

Look after yourself Neil and do as you are bloomin well told and whatever is necessary to facilitate recovery.

Evening all

Another mild day here, can it last?

Great to hear about Sherry's walking; long may it continue.

Neil, hope that your recovery goes well. Drip that morphine!

An interesting weekend overall. Gabe and I had planned a cozy evening yesterday with a nice meal as we are the only ones here. Yeah, right! Eldest son turns up and stays over, wants fed. Daughter turns up from boyfriend's, she's decided to stay here and wants fed. Cozy evening well over!

Good job we'd seen the film about Ray Croc and McDonald's The Founder earlier, then, or we never would have. Michael Keaton excellent as Ray Croc, but what a conniving b'stard. Great movie, well written and acted, possibly 15 mins too long, but good to see some 50s Americana.

Hope your week goes well

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Actually a slightly serious question. Electric ovens here have a self-cleaning mode. They crank up the temperature to the point where all the gunk carbonizes and falls off the lining. The oven door locks while this is going on.

Our oven has 1 self cleaner - ME! The side walls are supposed to be self cleaning but not very good at it.  The manufacturers allege that the roof, back and floor of the oven can be cleaned with a damp cloth, warm water and washing up liquid. That is a complete and utter load of b#llocks.

I use Oven Mate and Brillo pads and eventually after a few hours it ends up looking reasonably presentable - something like this without the pup.

post-5890-0-59989200-1487532275.jpg
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Our oven has 1 self cleaner - ME! The side walls are supposed to be self cleaning but not very good at it.  The manufacturers allege that the roof, back and floor of the oven can be cleaned with a damp cloth, warm water and washing up liquid. That is a complete and utter load of b#llocks.

I use Oven Mate and Brillo pads and eventually after a few hours it ends up looking reasonably presentable - something like this without the pup.

attachicon.gifIMG_1453-1.jpg

I think it might have been someone on here who recommended Lakeland's own brand cleaner. It is very, very good. Leaves the oven like new.

Clothes have been washed and are nearly ready for ironing, the car has been washed and the inside sorted out.

A break for roast pork with all the trimmings before attacking the ironing.

NHN - I hope that the surgery reduces the pain significantly.

Back later

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

One of Sherry's walking targets has been the Buccaneer pub on Babbacombe Downs and today we made it. The landlady has had new hips, so lots of sympathy. They are normally closed Monday, but for half-term last Monday they had planned a special opening with offers on kids' food etc. The pub is being repainted and having the flat roof re-done. Some time on Monday the roofing contractors managed to set fire to things and the fire brigade was busy. They re-opened the same day. Compensation has been paid, and no names have been mentioned.....

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I think it might have been someone on here who recommended Lakeland's own brand cleaner. It is very, very good. Leaves the oven like new.

Warren, I think it might have been me. AFAIK Oven Mate is the only oven cleaner that Lakeland sell. (also available from other sources such as Amazon)

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Warren, I think it might have been me. AFAIK Oven Mate is the only oven cleaner that Lakeland sell. (also available from other sources such as Amazon)

You are right - Oven Mate it is. For some reason I had got it into my head that it was their own brand.

Still very good though.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I have a cat that would lick the oven clean, given the chance.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I have a cat that would lick the oven clean, given the chance.

Cheers,

Mick

We have a dog that will try and lick the dishwasher when it has used crockery in it. He can't cut himself as the cutlery goes at the top of our machine. For some reason Robbie doesn't do it when I am in the kitchen. This is odd because he normally does what Aditi tells him.

We have an oven with a self clean setting. It works really well, much better than the old catalytic liners. As AndyID mentioned there is a door lock that operates while the program is running.

Tony

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Been a busy weekend with taxi duties taking up Saturday and only a few minutes today to work on the layout.

It turns out that the difference between a magnetic uncoupler working as desired and a magnetic uncoupler bringing the wagon to a screeching halt and marooned in siding is....the same between the glacial and scorching setting on a shower unit.

I've been trying out some 3mm cube magnets rather than the huge rectangular ones.

Half term here so juggling child care with working fro home. Always nice to have the children mooching around the house - brings the place to life.

Neil, take it steady.  

• Like 18

To all other insomniacs I'm managing on three to three and a half hours of sleep a night.

The upside is that I can get a lot done in a 20.5 hour day (which is why I pop up on here at odd times of the day).

A positive attitude is essential!

It's mostly due to mild stomach issues, we think. All things must pass...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

To all other insomniacs I'm managing on three to three and a half hours of sleep a night.

The upside is that I can get a lot done in a 20.5 hour day (which is why I pop up on here at odd times of the day).

A positive attitude is essential!

It's mostly to mild stomach issues, we think. All things must pass...

Best, Pete.

At the moment if I don't make an effort I am sure I could sleep 20 hours a day.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from the village where we are safely back home after a weekend in Lincoln.  This went very well and it was great to see No 1 son and his new girlfriend plus her delightful 5 yr old sun.  We took them out for a meal Saturday night then this morning went for a great walk round Hartsholme Park.  After a stop for ice cream we got back to their house and they cooked us a lovely Sunday roast dinner.  We think this is the first time that any of our offspring have entertained us to a proper self cooked meal.   All this despite the lady in question being a telf. (HH will explain if necessary).  

Neil very sorry to hear about the continuing saga of the foot.  I hope that the surgery goes well

Tomorrow should be busy as I have some ebay parcels to despatch and then 4 smoke chimneys to fettle and fit before going to the club to help deliver our joint talk on Iberian railways.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16

Evening all. Just a quick check in before bed. I should have been asleep a lot earlier as it is back to work tomorrow :-(. I wonder what challenges, problems and pressures await. I guarantee that by 9.35 all memories of half term will have been banished. I hope that there will be time to browse the job vacancies in the evening.

In a brighter note the school work was done in plenty of time whilst running the occasional train from layout to layout. All Avon errands done and even managed to have a whiskey in front of the snooker final.

Night all - healing wishes to NHN.

Hmm.

Blood glucose through the roof, feeling a bit rubbish, peeing every 5 minutes. Had fish & chips, but that doesn't usually do much harm.

Waiting to see if it goes down, have discarded insulin and opened fresh.

Sleep seems unlikely.

Thought go to Neil, what a thing to happen.

Morning, awake early due to a busy few days screwing with sleep patterns.

Hope everyone is well? If not speedy recovery.

On the subject of speed bumps and pot holes, tile hill station has speed bumps that anything over 10mph grounds my Mondeo estate. The pot holes are also wheel and tyre destroyers on some of the roads, Richard got forced to go over one of them by a reckless overtaking idiot coming the other way, causing a cracked alloy. Not fun.

Edit: forgot to add, the reason for the busy few days was the replacement of all my bookshelves, with new from IKEA. Putting the shelves together was easy enough, securing them to the wall less so due to the nature of my flats walls (1960s brick and concrete council flat) being rather crumbly and layers of concrete in the exact position needed for securing said bookshelves from above, thankfully securing them to the sides and adding some metal brackets (pack from aldi) to secure them to each other they're pretty secure.

I now find I have empty book space that can be filled... Probably quite quickly as I'm always buying several at every show I attend.

Next job is to tidy up the front room and rearrange some things as well as figuring out why my desktop is seemingly dead.

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 3