The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A reasonable round of golf this morning including a few quid on the shop account courtesy of a 2 in the 2's sweep...

Then it was a hectic three hours or so in the bar at wife's work as one her managers had c0cked up the staff rota as it was a very busy lunch/afternoon.

In the meantime, a text from junior NB simply said "Steelers v Storm?"

Junior was up in Sheffield, competing in the BUCS swimming competition and her team unfortunately hadn't made any of the Saturday evening finals.

So after a bit of bar work, it was the M66/M62/M1 to Sheffield to meet up and watch the Sheffield Steelers play the Manchester Storm in the ice hockey Elite League.

A most enjoyable evening with Junior, as it'll be a few more weeks before she's home again.

Plenty of cOckwombles about on the return journey. The ultimate prize goes to the guy doing 55 in the middle lane of the M62 with nothing about in lane 1 at all. It made a bit of an effort to move across about half a lane as I came up behind it with a reasonably full lane three. Using Adam Hills catchphrase, I uttered the words "Don't be a d!ck" as it pulled back to lane 2 just as I was beginning to overtake it.

Work tomorrow (now today) building Cobalt Alpha control panels (they are a great bit of kit) and maybe some testing with the demo layout in readiness for its' visit to the Glasgow SECC exhibition.

There will also be a detour to the local model shop to collect two new locos........... :locomotive:

Have a good Sunday folks

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 17

Good morning one and all

Much of yesterday and a few quid were spent at Biggleswade show.  Some vehicular constipation occurred on the way home and the bus barely made it to Bedford in time for its return journey.  I slept soundly for much of the trip and rather wish I could do so at night.

Today will be devoted to a bit more laundry, a bumper lot of ironing and cooking myself a gammon steak.  It is Sunday after all.  There should also be time for unspecified pottering.  I see that the dining chairs are no longer visible in the skip outside next door but one.  They may have been swiped but more probably they have been submerged by other stuff.  Among that is some expanded polystyrene which once encased something new.  All modellers have a use for expanded polystyrene.  It can be shaped with bread knife, surform blade and other tools to make cuttings and embankments.  I will reflect again on this thought after nightfall.

It is distressing to learn of so many ailments among ERs.  Oh dear, that sounds too much like Her Maj for comfort.  I'll stick to warm thoughts to all, especially the injured and afflicted.

Chris

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Chris

I find cutting and shaping of Polystyrene far too messy. I will use chunks as a base but prefer to shape the surface using papier-mache  Using a small amount of paste and enough shredded paper to take up the paste there are no drips.  That is if you can get your shredder to work. 

Chaz on here (The Furness Valley Railroad) suggested a teaspoon of paste to a quarter of a pint of water which I find works well.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

There is sunshine and a fine, warm and dry day is forecast. Hooray!,,,,,,,,but maybe not as it has been decreed that I need to pay attention to the garden.

I have listened very carefully to it but can't hear anything.  :whistle:

Anyway, in my expert opinion the ground is still far too wet to do anything sensible. The car needs washing but I'm not in the right mood for that either, can't even be bothered to drive it round the corner for someone else to do it.

Yesterday's rugby was disappointing with Quins going down to Bath in a scrappy game. Let's hope Wasps fare better at Sale today -  on present form they should do.

So as I appear to be in lazy mode I think firstly a light cooked breakfast is required (poaching and grilling the eggs and bacon instead of frying) as the diet is ongoing. After that I may summon up the energy to visit the railway room for two or three hours. After a light lunch I can then look forward to the afore-mentioned rugby and later on some roast lamb with all the trimmings.There may be a small amount of beer and wine consumed (remember the diet Bob)

All in all this seems to be a fair agenda for a pleasant Sunday.

I hope yours is as well.

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

Morning all

Chris

I find cutting and shaping of Polystyrene far too messy. I will use chunks as a base but prefer to shape the surface using papier-mache  Using a small amount of paste and enough shredded paper to take up the paste there are no drips.  That is if you can get your shredder to work. 

Chaz on here (The Furness Valley Railroad) suggested a teaspoon of paste to a quarter of a pint of water which I find works well.

Don

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM622&r=1

• Like 7

Nice start to the day again here in sunny Teignmouth.

Yesterday we walked along the prom. I have never seen so many people and dogs walking along the beach and prom. A lovely warm Saturday afternoon and the World and his dog were out.

I expect some may be aware of this but it seems quite fascinating

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39008682

• Like 14

Good morning all.

I am disappointed to see yet another group of (I assume) responsible adults discussing how to drive quickly over speed bumps. Why not SLOW DOWN? It could be your child/grandchild that runs into the road.

I do wonder if a great deal of money could be saved by just leaving the roads unmended rather than building bumps. It would seem that St Evenage is ahead of the field on this.

Best wishes

Ed

• Like 12

Morning all. A dry bright start to the day.

For some reason I slept really well last night but still feel a bit tired.

Not a great deal planned for the day except washing, ironing, shopping for lunch stuff for the week, wash the car, clear out the inside of the car.......

OK, so a fair bit to do.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 15

Morning all !  Bright sunny day in Lincolnshire.

Today a kind friend is travelling south some 24 miles to take me to a small general model exhibition at Hubberts Bridge, near Boston.  

Some chin-wagging with local folks will no doubt be very therapeutic and my friend also has occasional 'visits' from the black dog.  

Daughter arrives for tea at 6 pm tonight so best bib and tucker are needed as our usual daily dress code doesn't go down well and comment is immediately passed !

Have a great day !

• Like 7

...I do wonder if a great deal of money could be saved by just leaving the roads unmended rather than building bumps. It would seem that St Evenage is ahead of the field on this.

The London Borough of Camden has been neglecting its road surfaces for decades. It would rather spend the money on public-sector non-jobs.

St.Evenage are way behind the curve on this.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Mysterious disappearing 'G'night' post last night - very odd but such things happen in etherland.  We had some sunshine about an hour ago - clearly it has decamped to South Essex.

Speed cushions always strike me as peculiar things and I'm not entirely sure of their purpose when you can safely drive over them at the permitted speed in most vehicles - so maybe the idea is that they help enforce the speed limit and that does make sense.  If you really want to slow down traffic below the 30 mph limit then the answer seems to be either humps or speed tables and the latter seem less damaging (why some councils stopped using humps due to claims from motorists so I understand) and pretty effective.  Reading has some fascinating 'access humps' which run laterally down the road surface set high enough to damage most cars but allowing 'buses to get through - their track is also set for 'buses so you (I) couldn't even traverse one with the GS on max lift (I didn't even try before anyone complains).  However as others have observed lousy road surfaces are quite effective at controlling speed.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I saw an article about a car manufacturer (VW?) that is developing a pot hole warning system. Not sure whether it activates collision avoidance technology or just suggests going another way.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Occasional sun poking through the clouds in Babbacombe.

As lightengine quoted for nearby Teignmouth, yesterday was not a bad day, vaguely Spring-like, and Sherry got up onto the Downs overlooking the sea for the first time. Her total walking distance again exceeded half a mile, albeit with a brief sit before half-way. But she is despondent about slow progress, and then there are her hopeless sleeping patterns. Typically I will wake about 2 and find she has decamped to the lounge, where one end of the electric reclining sofa provides leg support a flat mattress cannot. She has researched others' experiences online and discovers many have the same story. And many have done very little in the same time-frame compared to her. Her op scar is brilliantly neat and healing well. Her leg shows no sign of the inital swelling after the op. She stands unaided to shower. Lots of positives after less than three weeks since the op, and only two weeks at home.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Late up again, just managed to catch up as I had my mid morning cup of tea. A couple of early morning tasks completed, one of which was the monthly change if the filter in the water jug, so that's that done until next March. Dull but dry outside, so at least I won't get wet heading down to the workshop.

Back later.

Edited for typos!

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The sun did arrive this morning but has decamped elseware. I still have the sore foot from a few weeks ago, it turned out to be an infection, probably from an insect bite or treading on something sharp but as I can recall neither it remains a mystery.

Good morning all,

There is sunshine and a fine, warm and dry day is forecast. Hooray!,,,,,,,,but maybe not as it has been decreed that I need to pay attention to the garden.

I have listened very carefully to it but can't hear anything.  :whistle:

Anyway, in my expert opinion the ground is still far too wet to do anything sensible. The car needs washing but I'm not in the right mood for that either, can't even be bothered to drive it round the corner for someone else to do it.

Yesterday's rugby was disappointing with Quins going down to Bath in a scrappy game. Let's hope Wasps fare better at Sale today -  on present form they should do.

So as I appear to be in lazy mode I think firstly a light cooked breakfast is required (poaching and grilling the eggs and bacon stead of frying) as the diet is ongoing. After that I may summon up the energy to visit the railway room for two or three hours. After a light lunch I can then look forward to the afore-mentioned rugby and later on some roast lamb with all the trimmings.There may may be a small amount of beer and wine consumed (remember the diet Bob)

All in all this seems to be a fair agenda for a pleasant Sunday.

I hope yours is as well.

Bob.

Bob, what have you done with SWMBO? you don't have a new patio by any chance? :whistle: :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I saw an article about a car manufacturer (VW?) that is developing a pot hole warning system. Not sure whether it activates collision avoidance technology or just suggests going another way.

Tony

I have a method for avoiding potholes.

Just don't drive around Blackburn for three months.........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2