The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

At RAF Leeming some years ago a series of airmen smashed the sumps of cars on a new road hump. It was put down to bad driving and excessive speed, Then a senior officer did it.....

The hump was altered.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the support. Been discharged and called back ct scanned and still not sure. Prob surgery Mon now. Pain management better now as admitted again.foot wrecked basically and will require more surgery in the future. Sorry typing poor I'm on a. Little phone.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I hate driving at weekends as all the cockwombles come out to play. When I went to Tesco's lunchtime I found a parking bay at the end of the car park where there are bays on one side only. Problem is that if all the bays are occupied people tend to park their cars opposite. When I went to reverse out of the space I waited for a woman with a loaded shopping trolley to pass only for her to park the trolley in the space I needed to manouver and then proceed to load the contents into her car parked opposite the bays as stated above. When it comes to parking I've put a film on my Facebook page thats funny but not to the poor guy in the film. He's returned to his parked car to find it blocked in by another (badly parked) car. He's tooing and froing to extracate his car and a woman arrives and assists him to get his car out. Then as he's getting ready to drive off the woman unlocked the badly parked car and got in and drove away. :banghead: :ireful:

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

By contrast, anyone with oleopneumatic suspension can pretty much go how they please....

My Allegro estate was pretty good on some very bumpy roads but not if driven too fast. I once witnessed a police panda car Allegro go haring across a flat field until it hit a dip. It nosed into the dip and as it did so I saw something falling off the bottom of the car. When I went over to inspect what it was it turned out to be the oil filter, followed by a trail of engine oil.

I expressed an opinion over lunch ( not about lunch) . Not sure if we get another invite!

Tony

I hope it was not about taking a “crap in the fields...."

My GS was great in the snow, just crank it up to it’s full height...

I am sitting here at 2:47pm and it’s 66f / 19C - at last the snow is actually melting!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 16

Evening all. Supportive wishes to NHN again. I hope the pain management and surgery goes well. I suggest feet up and run some trains!

Today has been a successful day. I made it to Sileby and enjoyed a good look around the event. There were some nice layouts with three in particular keeping me entertained for a considerable time. One of these layouts, Malmesbury, belonged to the late Chris Burch, who died just a week before our show last year. He was due to bring this layout to our show. It was great, if quite sad, to see the layout operated as a tribute to him today. One of the gentleman who had assisted Chris with the build had passed away earlier this week so the layout's attendance was a double tribute. I hear that Malmesbury is heading for a museum in the real Malmesbury!

I caught up with a couple of friends from around the shows as well as a family from our local church. The wallet stayed firmly in my pocket apart from the at the refreshment window. The bacon cob was delicious and the cup of tea much needed as tiredness set in early afternoon. I think the lack of sleep last night caught up with me.

A lack of time prevented me from taking up Peter BB's kind offer to help with Swad Lane. In fact I did not get a chance to speak to Peter today so I must send him a private message.

I considered dropping into the Great Central on the way home, but the tiredness dictated otherwise. I did manage to get some of the school planning jobs done during the afternoon before heading out on the first Avon book collection run.

Sarah and Amber have not long returned home. I am sat in Amber's room waiting for her to drift off to sleep before Sarah and I have our meal together.

Enjoy your evening.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

By contrast, anyone with oleopneumatic suspension can pretty much go how they please....

Or even better a 65T hydrogas fitted Challenger 2 Main battle tank...bump? What bump??

• Like 9

Even my conventionally suspended Megane Scenic was very tolerant of speed bumps.

If you take them at an angle only one wheel lifts at a time and you can go a lot faster. Not that I've ever done anything like that myself you understand.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

If you take them at an angle only one wheel lifts at a time and you can go a lot faster. Not that I've ever done anything like that myself you understand.

In my present car I don't think I have felt a speed bump. Probably because I slow down for them. I don't like giving Robbie a rough ride when he is aboard.

• Like 14

Yesterdays predicted long day was very long. I eventually returned home after 23 hours but did manage to complete the project in time for the client. After 5 hours sleep it was time to get up to go and meet a friend in London who I haven't seen for 6 years. Today is the only time he is in the country for the next 2 years. For some reason I had to inspect my eyelids when I got home again.

After 2 hours of reading I've managed to catch up on all the posts since my last one yesterday morning.

Flavio - Having read your post from yesterday. I have to agree with you about food when on an all inclusive holiday. I have never taken one but many friends of mine have and all complain about the standard of the food. I always eat in the establishments frequented by the locals and endevour to be taught how they cook. I've never been disappointed. The best and worst street vendor food I've had was in Hong Kong a few years before we handed it back.

Simon - Having the chimney swept isn't only for the removal of soot. Unswept chimneys is a major cause of chimney fires. As has already been mentioned, it may also be an insurance requirement.

NHN - I hope that the pain management is good and the surgery goes to plan.

Rick - I hope that this episode of gout subsides quickly. A very unpleasant condition.

• RMweb Gold

When I was little we moved in with the Mum's parents as Gran had health problems.  Grandad had been renting the  three story house but when offered the chance Dad bought it. Grandad loved a big coal fire and would put a sheet of newspaper over the front to get it to draw. He would wait until the flickering  of flames was clearly visible through the paper before removing it. If Dad was around he would be in the Kitchen muttering to Mum 'He'll bl00dy set the chimney alight' and so on. Inevitably he did one day the flames in the chimney were causing the air to roar up it. Dad was panicking. Grandad got a bowl of water and threw it on the fire sending clouds of steam up the chimney. Dad said to him 'I hope you have learned your lesson'. 'Oh yes' Grandad said ' I have just saved the cost of getting the chimney swept' which rendered Dad speechless.  

As they say please don't try this at home.

We did have a chimney fire ourselves once the place needed doing up and there was some dry rot in some floorboards which I burnt to get rid off them and keep us warm. I installed a Parkray which ran the central heating and worked fine. However one day a bit of clinker stopped the ash gate from being closed properly and the fire got a bit hot. As soon as we realised this  I removed the grit and realised the chimney was alight. Fortunately we could close the damper on the Parkray and starve it of air so it went out. 

Although I had swept the chimney thoroughly before installing the Parkray, I hadn't realised that the resins in the wood had stuck to the sides of the chimney as these condensed out of the smoke. Being resinous they had not been dislodged by the brush. So be careful if burning wood on an open fire. In a proper woodburner it should burn more efficiently and not have the unburnt resins in the smoke.

Don 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Another quiet Saturday night spent in the good company, it was just the two of us, but it was very nice. We managed to catch up on a little bit of recorded TV and finish of the bottle of wine that we opened up last night.

Earlier this evening, I was doing a bit of research on the MERG website, looking into the problem that I was experiencing with the control modules that I'm using. It looks like I have either a faulty IC or I need to add a couple of resistors (1 pull up and 1 tie down) to the data line. But first I will take a couple of test readings at various points on the PCBs, which I'll do first thing in the morning.

Anyway, it's time for bed, goodnight all.

Evening all,

Sort of recovering from Tonbridge, where I helped TonyA with Liss Forest Depot.  I think the knee has survived, but best to wait until morning when I'll find out how stiff it is.

On the HJ front, I put an even less Valentine card through her door and we are still talking.

post-11383-0-70039600-1487464006.jpg

Hopefully this photo has loaded.  Worth fighting for?

Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Sort of recovering from Tonbridge, where I helped TonyA with Liss Forest Depot.  I think the knee has survived, but best to wait until morning when I'll find out how stiff it is.

On the HJ front, I put an even less Valentine card through her door and we are still talking.

attachicon.gifHAZEL_1.jpg

Hopefully this photo has loaded.  Worth fighting for?

Bill

If you are happier then yes.

• RMweb Premium

At RAF Leeming some years ago a series of airmen smashed the sumps of cars on a new road hump. It was put down to bad driving and excessive speed, Then a senior officer did it.....

The hump was altered.

There is a nearby "gated community" that installed a speed hump near the gate/barriers. Due to the speed at which the residents approached the barriers - particularly when open, humps were installed.

Cue many complaints from the residents about the severity of the hump. (it was one of those moulded rubber types and very obvious). The hump lasted about two days before it was removed. It was eventually replaced with one made from cobbles and a lot less forgiving.

But:

Many of the residents of the community drive high-powered 4x4s, so didn't take too much notice the new hump. Yet these self, same residents were complaining of excessive speeds on the approach road to the gates.......

Two more humps were installed about 75 and 150 yards from the barrier. You couldn't miss these.

About two weeks after they were installed, a local bus service went over it so fast, that it ripped out the sump on the rear-engine vehicle. Lots of oil spilt, needing partial resurface of the road.

Two days later, another bus from the same company suffered the same fate. You'd think that the drivers would be told to go slow over the humps

The next day, both humps were removed and re-profiled over the next week or so.

Two months later, they've been re-shaped again! Still noticeable to the average car, but probably not a X5, Q6 or other similar Chelsea tractor.

I used to regularly visit the said estate to pick up driving customers and the number of times that cars would accelerate between the humps and then stand on their brakes really began to annoy me. Another thing I won't miss about being on the road...

Cheers,

Mick