The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just back from t'vets. We have a large dressing on the sore foot, a waterproof sock to put over it in case we want to go out (no walks) and, you guessed, the Cone of Shame to stop him eating the first two. An Alsatian Cone is as big as a bucket so we are having difficulty moving about, especially squeezing past me on the computer to get to/from the kitchen.

Ed

All the decent size fellings remain on site - and duly seasoned make their way into the wood burning stove.  I've yet to see a piece of our cherry that would be fit for anything better to be honest.  The small stuff is chipped and also remains on site but it seems totally useless at keeping down undergrowth.

We had a guy a couple of miles down the road whose hobby was wood-turning - he used to take quite small bits and turn little pots and spinning spindles and tiny vases for craft fairs - did quite well out of it - now taken by the Big C, unfortunately

Mr Blair took us into a war which led to a series of events contributing to the rise of the Islamic State. I think that says a lot for his judgement.

Don

I thought we's agreed not to do politics because other people (amazing I know) may not share your views?

Interesting to note that at the present time 15.50 Donw post has 11 Agrees, Smiffy post has 7 Agrees and 3 ER's posted on both posts.

I have had the chimney sweep in today, to clean the woodburner flue and also the now obsolete flue from the oil boiler than was removed last year. I hadn't had either swept for a good while, but was amazed at the amount of soot that came from each. I really must get it done annually as per recommendations.

I often get wood for the woodburner when I see friends and neighbours throwing out bits of wood. THey often just leave it for me to collect now! Nice cheap way of getting wood. Not many trees around here unfortunately!

• Like 8

Late start to two days off.

Yet another hacker tries to get into my email resulting in my ISP blocking it until I change my email.

So off we go down the change password route via the original ISP email.... (see below) The verification email is sent to I know not where - cue a call to the call centre.

Wait time reported at 15 minutes, turned into nearer 30.

To make things hideously complicated.

My original ISP was swallowed up by ISP no2, which then was taken over by the current ISP. When we changed broadband provider a few years ago, it was put into Mrs NB's name, as one of the domain names we have is linked to her work.

Because I'm not the current broadband account holder, many hoops have to be jumped through so I can deal with any problems on her behalf, even though they have spoken directly to her at least three times and she has given permission for me to handle the account for her......

After much discussion of the Data Protection Act, the password has been changed but can take up to four hours to get through the system.. Grrr

Looks like I'll be using another email provider from now on....

Back to the good stuff.

The bathroom flooring has been lifted and a new 3mm MDF layer put in place ready for the top surface.

Many brownie points will be earned.

Catch up later as I'm out with one of my final or three driving jobs for the afternoon.

Cheers,

Mick

Never use an ISP email address. It's a trap they use to lock you to their service. I have switched ISPs many times but I've had the same email address for 15 years.

• Like 1

Speaking of fruit trees we once watched a demonstration by a woodturner using his old Holtzapffel  lathe. He turned a piece of cherry tree into a pill box with a screw lid and top. Very attractive little box too. During Victorian and Edwardian times there was a passion among the well heeled for making treen artifacts using machinery that could be available with many accessories for turning fancy shapes. The work produced could be stunning, not only if you didn't tighten the work in the chuck properly. 

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 11

That reminded me of the Dartmouth Higher Ferry. When we moved to Brixham we used it quite often Marion said to me is it safe? Oh yes I said. However some months later the chains became loose and the ferry drifted down river with cars and passengers aboard. They got the passengers off quickly but the cars had to wait until the ferry could be towed back. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Don

IIRC one New Year the captain of the Erskine Ferry got plastered and parked the ferry in the middle of the Clyde. Presumably a boarding party was organized to get him off.

• RMweb Gold

I thought we's agreed not to do politics because other people (amazing I know) may not share your views?

Strange I am the only one you commented about, others had made remarks on that bit of news and other things.Let's be balanced.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I really must get it done annually as per recommendations.

You must indeed Simon, as it is normally an insurance requirement, and if you had a chimney fire and had to claim on your policy, they would ask to see either the certificate of sweeping or at the very least a dated receipt stating the date of the sweeping if the sweep is a non NACS practitioner.  I also suggest using Flue Free as well to reduce the creosote buildup in your chimney and flue - I use it regularly, and find it most helpful.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Again late on parade due to an early start to get to town, then a few minutes before we were due to go, we had a phone call saying our meeting had to be postponed as the guy we were meeting had to have a day off for personal reasons.  Still went in, as there was other stuff to be done, and on visiting the bank we found that the insurance claim for the roof had been paid already - based on the builder's quote and without an invoice - so I was also able to make the builder's day by giving him one of these old fashioned paper things that convey money from one party to the other without going near online banking.  He was most pleased as when  we got home he was just packing up having finished the job.  As a bonus, while he was up there on the scaffold, he cleaned and rehung the guttering and cleaned the facia boards and the PVC window frames, cleared the downspout, did a coat of woodstain on the external woodwork, and sorted out a couple of problems with the slaters felt and the flashings on the bedroom window.  Well, we have been using him for almost 20 years now, so he does go the extra mile.

Greetings of the generic variety are as usual offered, as there were a lot of posts to read and rate here and on other threads.

Back tomorrow after a trip to Kendal.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 16

The Marigold Hotel was a long long way from Delhi. South Indian culture is quite different to what Aditi's parents would have been accustomed to in the north.

An Indian colleague and friend of mine who had for a time been an expatriate in the US but now lives in India likes to explain to westerners that while India is the largest democracy in the world it is not as monolithic as western democracies.

Rather he likes to say by way of analogy that India is more like Europe, in that it consists of a large number of different 'countries' each with their own languages, histories, traditions, cuisines and ethnicity but under a single government.

I have found this to be very helpful working with people from India. The 'tech' community in places like Bangalore (and presumably business community in Mumbai) is creating more of a melting pot, but the notion of the country being one big swathe of pink on the map does not do justice to the complexities.

The greatest differences may be observed comparing north to south, but even that is a great simplification.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

An Indian colleague and friend of mine who had for a time been an expatriate in the US but now lives in India likes to explain to westerners that while India is the largest democracy in the world it is not as monolithic as western democracies.

Rather he likes to say by way of analogy that India is more like Europe, in that it consists of a large number of different 'countries' each with their own languages, histories, traditions and ethnicity but under a single government.

I have found this to be very helpful working with people from India. The 'tech' community in places like Bangalore (and presumably business community in Mumbai) is creating more of a melting pot, but the notion of the country being one big swathe of pink on the map does not do justice to the complexities.

I would take this more seriously if I knew that in the villages they did not  have to crap in the fields.

Still, they have Nuclear Weapons and a Space Program....

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Another member of the 69 Club, I'm afraid - it was on the news just now that the singer Peter Skellern has died.

Chris

So sorry to hear that news; he was a very talented musician, both on his own, with Richard Stilgo and with the Grimethorpe Colliery Band.  His brand of music was largely from before the current era, shall we say; e.g. 'Love Is The Sweetest Thing'.

I would take this more seriously if I knew that in the villages they did not  have to crap in the fields.

I think the observation was about the implications of Indian diversity rather than suggesting that India has everything under control.

The fact that there are people who crap in a open field next door to a "nice" western style hotel on the industrial east side of Delhi (Noida) suggests that it's not just the villages. As if inequality isn't bad enough in the west, it is staggering in India.

A good analogy is restaurants. We don't say "I went to a European restaurant for pasta" when we had Italian food. The notion of a western, Indian restaurant doesn't do justice to the different regional cuisines in the same way that a western, Chinese restaurant doesn't do justice to Hunan, Sichuan, Cantonese, etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Let's not do politics, eh? What do you find so hard to accept in that?

I don't find it hard I hadn't posted on politics until a lot of comments were being made and I chipped in with something. I will refrain from any more. Why do you say nothing to others?

Don

• RMweb Gold

I think the observation was about the implications of Indian diversity rather than suggesting that India has everything under control.

The fact that there are people who crap in a open field next door to a "nice" western style hotel on the industrial east side of Delhi (Noida) suggests that it's not just the villages. As if inequality isn't bad enough in the west, it is staggering in India.

Industrialisation is bringing large numbers of rural people into cities. In the rural villages the government has been spending on lavatories but people don't like them and prefer a walk in the countryside and a wash afterwards. The government is trying but the programme isn't as successful as a similar one in Bangladesh. The reason for this is due to one culture having having a "who does what" in connection with defecation disposal and the other one not. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

...Officially Scheveningen is part of The Hague, but they're a fiercely independent bunch so don't tell that to a locals face if you want to return home in one piece :threaten:  It'll be next to the famous Kurhaus hotel, which is older then your Blackpool Pier :P  It won't be as big as the Billund park (or others, like Windsor) but it will be covered, so ideal for the not-so-sunny-days at the beach :yes:

Interestingly I was on a one week course in The Hague in the '70s and managed to get totally sh!tfaced in Scheveningen my first night there :O  :jester:

• Like 2

....Officially Scheveningen is part of The Hague, but they're a fiercely independent bunch so don't tell that to a locals face if you want to return home in one piece :threaten: ....

This is a bit like people from Gateshead being at great pains to say that they are not Newcastle.

• Like 4