The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Is there anything wrong with out of date beer? Have you tasted it before chucking it down the sink? Some beer, especially bottle conditioned will keep for absolutely ages, and improve in flavour too. Just a thought.  :onthequiet:

I have in my store 10 bottles of Chimay with a sell by date of 2007, I had a couple over Christmas (there was 12 bottles) with no ill effects, as long as you leave the live yeast in the bottle. :stinker:

• RMweb Premium

It's an Android tablet, Tony.  Samsung S2.  Why is it everything links via google?  To make it work you have to have a google e mail account that we will never use. Pointless, it just annoys.

Still, it mostly sorted out now, other than some kind of virus protection - which there is a lot of chatter about not needing on such a device?  Any advice on the matter?  I have a spare Kaspersky licence, but we haven't been able to get it to upload and install itself as yet.

In more interesting news, a busy day at Grumble Glen, while some of the guys were ballasting the relaid track I was stripping the Steamplex boiler for the inspector.  We're having to push on as we need it to be sorted ahead of the other locos as we need to be sure everything is sorted for our visit to the Ffestiniog quirks & curiosities gala at the end of April. :senile:

• RMweb Gold

It's an Android tablet, Tony. Samsung S2. Why is it everything links via google? To make it work you have to have a google e mail account that we will never use. Pointless, it just annoys.

Still, it mostly sorted out now, other than some kind of virus protection - which there is a lot of chatter about not needing on such a device? Any advice on the matter? I have a spare Kaspersky licence, but we haven't been able to get it to upload and install itself as yet.

In more interesting news, a busy day at Grumble Glen, while some of the guys were ballasting the relaid track I was stripping the Steamplex boiler for the inspector. We're having to push on as we need it to be sorted ahead of the other locos as we need to be sure everything is sorted for our visit to the Ffestiniog quirks & curiosities gala at the end of April. :senile:

My advice would have been make sure you have a Google account before you do anything!

I am very boring, I have, despite all the moans from experts used Norton on my devices. Every year I buy a multidevice licence from Amazon for my Windows PCs, Macs and Android devices.

Ccleaner and Malwarebytes are also available. I made use of them before I installed Norton on the Tablet I now have (a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. )

Hope your tablet works as well as mine has. We have Samsung phones too.

Edit

To answer your first query about why Google? Google developed Android.

Edited by Tony_S

A successful day on site but they wanted to finish earlier than I was prepared for. I also had to deal with a sensitive personal issue at a management level as well.

On the way home some road works had appeared since early this morning and traffic was extremely slow. All except one Mercedes driver who decided to speed past all of us on the wrong side of the road for about 300 metres and then cut up another car.

I made a coffee when I got home which was probably a mistake. I ended up inspecting my eyelids for nearly 2 hours before consuming the coffee.

Mal - The Scotland v Wales game has the potential for being a very close one. I just hope that the referee allows a free flowing game.

Back later

Fullers bought out George Gale & Son in 2005!

But I have since seen on the internet a recent review of draught HSB, where the reviewer, who remembered drinking plenty of the original, remarked on what a good job Fullers had made of it. Said it had the slight smoky sweetness if I remember it right. Fullers are a class outfit remember, not like some. Better they make HSB than no HSB at all.

But I have since seen on the internet a recent review of draught HSB, where the reviewer, who remembered drinking plenty of the original, remarked on what a good job Fullers had made of it. Said it had the slight smoky sweetness if I remember it right. Fullers are a class outfit remember, not like some. Better they make HSB than no HSB at all.

I don't recall making any comment on the quality of the post 2005 product!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

My advice would have been make sure you have a Google account before you do anything!

I am very boring, I have, despite all the moans from experts used Norton on my devices. Every year I buy a multidevice licence from Amazon for my Windows PCs, Macs and Android devices.

Ccleaner and Malwarebytes are also available. I made use of them before I installed Norton on the Tablet I now have (a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. )

Hope your tablet works as well as mine has. We have Samsung phones too.

Edit

To answer your first query about why Google? Google developed Android.

Well, she does now!  Still won't use g mail though, why when we have had a manxnet address forever?  I think Debs tablet is the same thing as you have.  I'm now not allowed near it, probably just as well!  It certainly had the best screen of all we saw, except maybe one iPad that was three times the price.  We didn't want to be apple-d.

My HP Pavillion lappy had Norton on it when bought, it slowed it down to a crawl.  Binned it and installed Kaspersky, it now runs about ten times faster.

Whales - wonder how the local authority will cope with having to get rid of 100 whales? When a very large whale stranded in Scotland recently it was cut up and carted away to a landfill site. Wonder if there's anything to retrieve from the whales beforehand - whale oil f'rinstance?

Gales - glad to say that Gales HSB is sold at The Parcel Yard on Kings Cross station.

Fails - an epic fail from Scotland today in a superb rugby match from Paris. A truly exciting game, apart from the handbags incident, where we had a couple of good players injured in the first half. There was one very odd conversion taken by Finn Russell - think he was told to hurry up and he did hurry without concentrating and missed a simple punt. France were tired but managed to kick themselves to victory. Now we're 5th in the table, just above Italy, boohoo!

We play Wales next week at Murrayfield - Wales are a good team, but having seen what Scotland did against Ireland andtoday against France, if we get a bit of luck we should ride it!

Mal

Sorry, Mal, don't agree.  The game was ruined by incompetent refereeing.  Pretty irrelevant was the unnecessary "hurry up" for the Scottish conversion, you are allowed as much time from in front of the posts as wide out.  Mind you, the kicker should go back about 20 meters to avoid being charged down.

The main problem was the scrum, where both teams chucked it into the second row.  As the French put on an eight man push before the put in, it resulted in an automatic penalty and a gain of 30 meters or a pot at the posts.  Now if the French had called another scrum, they would have got a Scottish prop yellow carded, then his replacement, so the Scots would have played the game with a rolling 13 players. 

Now Nigel Owens would have insisted on "down the middle", yes the ball would have sat there for a while but the first twist or duck from either team would have resulted in a penalty.  At least Nig can referee the scrum.

Personally, I wouldn't let anyone referee at international level unless he or she has a certificate that they spent a decade playing at the coal face. 

Knee is aching and I'm feeling miserable.  May put the bin out and just go to bed.  Or find some decent music and continue my German translation.

Keep well all.    Bill  (the sober, human Bill; not the pissed, equine Bill)

PS - how can Classic FM follow an ad about investment scam with one about claiming PPI ?

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

My HP Pavillion lappy had Norton on it when bought, it slowed it down to a crawl.  Binned it and installed Kaspersky, it now runs about ten times faster.

All the PCs we have have a Intel i7 processors and loads of RAM so it would be most unlikely I would notice if they were slow. I didn't notice any change in the performance of the Mac when I installed Norton.

Sorry to hear of the job news Andy... May have been a blessing in disguise. Could hve been control of yet another Assclown.

I am an Apple guy BUT cannot get on with the IPad. Disappointed at first because there is a trend in Pro Music devices for the IPad to remotely control them (even valve guitar amps). Thankfully many also use the iPhone. The "Fire" suits me fine for casual usage.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Just heard from our daughter Vickie, she mentioned that Evie had seen the end of a crime programme that she'd (Vickie) had been watching, in which somebody had been hidden a body in an attic.

Evie said "that's stupid, I wouldn't hide a body in an attic".

Vickie then said, "alright Evie, where would you hide a body then?"

To which Evie immediately replies, "in a cemetery, there's lots there and they'd never find another one!"

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear of the job news Andy... May have been a blessing in disguise. Could hve been control of yet another Assclown.

I am an Apple guy BUT cannot get on with the IPad. Disappointed at first because there is a trend in Pro Music devices for the IPad to remotely control them (even valve guitar amps). Thankfully many also use the iPhone. The "Fire" suits me fine for casual usage.

Best, Pete.

Not a Pro device but my Yamaha audio amp is much easier to control from the Android app than from its remote control. As the amp can use Apple Airplay I have found myself playing music from the iPod touch through the Yamaha amp controlled from an Android tablet. Following Pete's information that much is available for iPads I have found the Yamaha amplifier app on the Apple Appstore. Perhaps I will continue to use two devices, I will have a play!
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

I spent the early part of the evening on the phone to my brother in Canada. We have no real agenda, we just spend about an hour or so chatting about general stuff, it's a regular monthly thing and it's nice to talk. After that I spent the rest of the evening with Sheila. Earlier today I realised that yesterday was the 39th anniversary of when we first started seeing each other, where they hell did that go?

Goodnight all.

• Like 16

Not a Pro device but my Yamaha audio amp is much easier to control from the Android app than from its remote control. As the amp can use Apple Airplay I have found myself playing music from the iPod touch through the Yamaha amp controlled from an Android tablet. Following Pete's information that much is available for iPads I have found the Yamaha amplifier app on the Apple Appstore. Perhaps I will continue to use two devices, I will have a play!

One of the most of the most amazing applications for the iPhone is from the Danish company TC Electronics. They make guitar FX pedals. On some of the newer ones there is a blank spot where one can download sounds that have been put together by other users, eg a specific reverb sound with another component in it to make it unique.

Get the free app from Apple store then download the data from TC.

Now this is the most interesting part!

Grab your guitar and connect to the relevant pedal (by cable for me - though it could be wireless too) and then hold your iPhone close too one of the guitars pick ups (usually a variable reluctance sensor or transducer).

Hit download on the phone and the data transfers to the foot pedal via the guitars pick up - no wired connection to iPhone.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A good game of hockey at "The Fridge" tonight. Nicknamed so, as it's often warmer outside than in, at Blackburn Ice Arena.

An emphatic 9-3 win, (despite having two of the top players serving match bans after their antics and over-exuberant referee last night,) over Sutton Sting propels the Hawks into 5th (from 7th) place in the league - it's only an 8-team league. One point behind 4th and a possible end-of-season playoff place.

4th-8th are only separated by three points with anywhere between 9 and 5 games to go depending on the team - we have 9! http://eiha.co.uk/nihl-n1-moralee-conference/

Looking at all the fixtures, we probably have the easiest run-in, so I'm very hopeful that we will avoid the drop or relegation playoff and a possible chance of the end of season league playoffs - that Blackburn have won in 2013, 2015 and 2016.

8th will be automatically relegated and be replaced by the league winners from the league below. 7th will play a promotion/relegation play off against the second team in the league below. That's the game to avoid.

Unfortunately, tonight was probably the last game that Junior NB can accompany me, as she won't be home from Uni for the next few weeks.

Next four days at the commute is the plan, with plenty to do, mainly building some demo control panels for our guys to take to the Glasgow/SECC exhibition.

Have a good start to the week folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14