The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Then why is it 'man flu' rather than just flu? The implication being that if a man has it is somehow worse (than if a woman had it). I don't know, but I resent the implication that I am going to play on illness more because I'm male than I might do if I were female!

That's because you haven't undergone childbirth.

Except perhaps when you were very young.

• Like 2

A bit annoyed with the Wales result purely because of some bad decisions made by players. Until the last 10 minutes it was the game of the tournament and then...............

Oh well, I'm not missing celebrating tonight as I'm back at work in the morning.

Night all

• RMweb Gold

Then why is it 'man flu' rather than just flu? The implication being that if a man has it is somehow worse (than if a woman had it). I don't know, but I resent the implication that I am going to play on illness more because I'm male than I might do if I were female!

It's a joke. It isn't serious.
  • Like 4

That's because you haven't undergone childbirth.

Except perhaps when you were very young.

We shall fight the oppressors for his right to have babies , not having a womb, which is nobodys fault, not even the Romans', but that he can have the right to have babies.

I just got a new “Fire” tablet. It came already set up for me including books (and any music I’ve ever bought from Amazon). Pretty impressive piece of kit for about $130.00

May get an inch of snow overnight but it look like the bombegenesis (sic) blizzard will not be south of Conecticut (and they will not get much compared to Boston and points north - Nova Scotia will get the worst weather). “They” (television meteorologists) keep hinting we could get 20+ inches of snow on Thursday/Friday am - I don’t see that at all..... We will all see at that time... 

I’m wondering whether the TV guys ever come on and apologize for getting it wrong - I’ve never heard of that happening.

By the way last Thursday’s storm produced just over 8 inches for us (expecting 12 inches) - which is not much at all - our little road was plowed four times and by the end of the storm was already down to “blacktop”.

Only about two inches left in backyard. I must say that visibility was very bad at the storm’s height though; it just didn’t last very long. Total storm was from 5:00am until about 2:30pm

One more thing. I watched the Liverpool/Tottenham match today, live. I know Gordon S. will not be too happy but the first 20 minutes were possibly the most exciting soccer I’ve seen since the start of the Premier League (and Klopp was most amusing to watch).

Looking forward to the Chelsea match tomorrow, now.

Have a peaceful night, folks! Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 16

Not much happening today. Sad news from New Zealand about the Pilot Whales stranding. Some that are returned to the ocean turn around and strand themselves again. What can drive them to do it? No doubt it has gone on for millennia and will continue. 

Stay safe all, especially any of you pilot whales that read this.

This seems to be a natural phenomenon and who are we (relatively ignorant humans) to do anything to reverse this process?

Given that it happens world-wide with differing species, why can we not accept that it happens but strive to improve our own education as to why it does?

Edited by JohnDMJ

Good morning one and all

A good night's sleep?  I remember those.  I certainly did not have one last night and was wide awake at 2 am dismantling a purchase from Doncaster.  At 3 pm yesterday I was resting on a chair in the exhibition hall and felt dog tired.   Funny how things change.

I have had two e-mails relating to the repair of my car.  That from the insurance company says that the repair will be completed on Wednesday.  The body shop, by contrast, tell me that the vital part is expected from Germany on Wednesday.  Be that as it may, I need to establish whether I can drive the hire car to Swindon and leave it there. The alternatives to that are a five hour bus journey or an expensive train journey.  At least the end is in sight.

Today I will enjoy rump steak for my lunch.  I had been eyeing a slab of sirloin but Jim the butcher said that rump was on special offer so that was that.  Assorted other tasks present themselves for completion but how many if any will get done is a good question.  Whatever else occurs I think I shall listen to the remarkable actress June Brown on Desert Island Discs.

In another communications medium JohnDMJ asked me to say hello to some folk who I presume are his workmates.  I must apologise for not doing so, the reason being that none of those present were displaying identification and it would have been very easy to make a silly mistake.  I do that often enough as it is.

Warm thoughts to all, especially those in need of support and encouragement.

Chris

Morning all !  ENE wind blowing 18 mph and heavy rain until midday. An ideal day for a bit of shopping in Boston !  After a half-decent night's sleep, i care not !  Temperature could rocket up to 4 deg C but by Wednesday it is up to 11 deg C ; I believe we usually call that 'Spring....'

Hoping to see Men's Downhill Skiing from St Moritz at 12.15pm, postponed from yesterday because of poor visibility caused by fog.  Unintentional humour there...not like me at all.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Not raining at the moment but there may be some showers, becoming drier and brighter later although remaining fairly fresh.

In deference to my diet only a light cooked breakfast will be consumed in a little while instead of the rather larger one I usually have on Sundays.  This evening I will be spending a couple of minutes in the kitchen cooking some sirloin steak which seemed to be the better offer when we were shopping.

I'm in a good mood after watching the two excellent rugby matches yesterday and did succumb to a couple of pints of Pride. (first since last Saturday)  Let's hope today's game in Paris is as entertaining.

Have a good one

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18