The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Back home after my overnight stay at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. Follow-up appointment pencilled in for four weeks time to see if any nasties have found as a result of the procedure.

Biggest challenge was getting out of the hospital today - the place is like a rabbit warren with bits and pieces built and added over the years and connected by a maze of covered walkways and passages. Needless to say, I emerged into the open at the opposite end of the hospital to where my friend was waiting to meet me. No bus journey home as the hospital made it very clear that they did not approve of the idea of me using public transport for the return journey. Being a good boy I did what I was told!

I can sympathise with you there - I've been visiting the Northern General in Sheffield for a number of reasons (nurse girlfriend, day release training as a theatre technician, angioplasty, coronary bypass, miscellaneous A&E etc.) since  the late sixties, and get lost quite frequently. After any even minor surgical procedures, I've had to wait for wife, daughter, BiL etc. to come and collect me - luckily they all seem to have a better sense of direction than me...

Evening all. Hope everyone is doing well?

I have not been logging on much recently due to things getting in the way (Ie life etc) and thus keeping forgetting about ER.

However I have been busy in recent months with my new role as editor of a society* magazine, with the first issue now being with members finally. Glad that first issue is done now and the feedback has been favourable, which is a welcome boost. now trying to get the next issue sorted out :-) all good fun!

(*That society being DEMU)

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl, there was a small amount of snow on cars this morning those that had stayed cold enough, it melted elsewhere, ****** chilly though.

I remember attempting to patrol RAF Boulmer ( north east coast Northumberland), at about 3 in the morning, well up the thighs in snow, that was some time between 1985 and 1988 Inc. This was before they started issuing combat gear to the normal RAF personnel. So I was wearing RAF blue trousers, shirt, tie, pullover, and shoes with the RAF Macintosh!!. Armed with a whistle and a torch.

I also remember a group of women of very left wing / CND affiliation at the gates protesting at the nuclear missiles and bombs that arrived, saying they would stay for as long it would take, till the missiles were removed. Just after the press left, so did they, it was snowing and one of the coldest nights of the year.

Oh the nuclear missiles and bombs? That was the new air defence radar arriving. RAF Boulmer is a RADAR station.

I've spent the day at a model railway show, I liked the show, its a pity it wasn't attended more. Our layout worked well and it appears the owner found a buyer for it. The layout which was formerly part of an RAF Coltishall layout is too long for his new car. (No nuclear devices are included with the layout).

I spent less than a tenner and SWMBO I think spent less than £30 in the 5 hours she spent shopping.

Certain layouts had radios quietly on in the back ground, there are now some happy Norwich City supporters!!!

We raided a Chinese on the way home to save cooking, I'm now recovering from that and the show with my feet up trying to warm them up.

A glass of old Poulteney is acalling.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

A good day with the layout at Newbury show. I don't sleep too well last night but luckily my other half did so she drove both ways.

Will unload the main boards tomorrow as decided it was snowing too hard to get them out and we all wanted food. Now in our local on Old.

Hopefully that will help me sleep tonight.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening; my man flu has subsided to the extent that I thought it a good idea to get out the paint roller and apply the first coat of white to my new playroom. It's going to be the first room finished, but this is more to do with the need to gut kitchen, bathroom and alterations to what will be our bedroom, than playing trains taking priority. Just a handy by-product of the situation you understand. Once the second coat has been applied the carpet fitter can be let loose and then my stuff in boxes can be unpacked and moved in. This will then free up the other upstairs room and more stuff can be moved round. It's all very much like those puzzles with fifteen square tiles which can be slid around a four by four frame to create a picture. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

We had a very pleasant evening with No2 son and his fiancé, the curry also went down well. After that it was a couple of hours of good conversation and laughs. But now that they've gone home we will have a glass of red. Neither No2 son nor his fiancé wanted a glass of wine, so we thought it would be rude if we drank whilst they didn't, so we've waited until they went home. So now it's wine o'clock.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good evening; my man flu has subsided to the extent that I thought it a good idea to get out the paint roller and apply the first coat of white to my new playroom. It's going to be the first room finished, but this is more to do with the need to gut kitchen, bathroom and alterations to what will be our bedroom, than playing trains taking priority. Just a handy by-product of the situation you understand. Once the second coat has been applied the carpet fitter can be let loose and then my stuff in boxes can be unpacked and moved in. This will then free up the other upstairs room and more stuff can be moved round. It's all very much like those puzzles with fifteen square tiles which can be slid around a four by four frame to create a picture.

I am totally incompetent at those sliding puzzles. Perhaps that is why my garage workshop tidying is taking so long?
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Weather says yes for riding......

A combo of Gabapentin, Tramadol, Valium and Naproxen says no.

However, operating the layout is great as for once, I don't have to pretend the little people are talking to me.......

They actually ARE!

Roll on the op.......

I really wanted to tick funny, but I know what you mean!

I did click funny, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Ignore the railway stuff. Some more arms length cars.

Aditi asked "Do you play with those little cars?"

attachicon.gif20170211_141320_resized.jpg

Please, please can I come and play with your train set? :locomotive:

• Like 14

Another good day although the dehydration from the little blue pill is giving me a headache to wake up to !!

Still, saw my cat today, he is a large ginger cat who lives with my Darling Daughter; she says he's (Murray - called by SWMBO's maiden name) my cat, he just lives with her !!  Went shopping with Darling Daughter as well.

Played guitar again today and now exercising painful little finger whilst watching Serie A. Always entertaining is Serie A, if not always football !  

Goodnight all after small glass of whisky and delay before taking blue tablet....of course !

• Like 3

my man flu has subsided to the extent that I thought it a good idea to get out the paint roller and apply the first coat of white to my new playroom

This man flu thing was coined as some kind of feminist derision of men in general. They wished to paint men out as wussy feeble malingerers, while they (the women) who know about pain because they have had to go through childbirth just get on with things. The childbirth thing may be horrible enough, and if men had to do it the human race would die out, but my experience of colds and flu is exactly the reverse of this man flu thing - ie I have never had a day off work through colds (because I know what flu really is - most don't) in 30 years. while my other half, bless her will whinge and whine and expect to be waited on etc when she has a slight snivel, you know, the sort of thing they call man flu, ha ha. Interesting isn't it! 

Actually it is worth comparing which sex frequents the doctors' surgery most and for what type of complaint. Women are there most weeks for absolutely anything, while men almost never go, which is why we are so often found dead one morning and no-one had any idea anything was wrong, and you see so many bus trips to the seaside for the elderly consisting of 95% females.

Back to the childbirth and pain thing. I really do know what pain is because while crawling under the layout, I keep finding those stray track pins get stuck in the gap between my knee caps and the space below them. Excruciating! Even worse than lego bricks!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Please, please can I come and play with your train set? :locomotive:

Visitors will be welcome! Just let me finish the tidying! At the moment I can barely move about as I move stuff about. But much progress is being made. All my power tools are now neatly stored. Loco and wagon storage boxes are where the power tools used to be. I am not quite ready to turn the leaf blower on in the garage (easier than vacuuming it) but perhaps soon.
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

This man flu thing was coined as some kind of feminist derision of men in general. They wished to paint men out as wussy feeble malingerers, while they (the women) who know about pain because they have had to go through childbirth just get on with things.

Ah, yes. Christmas 2000 I had flu. No question. All the real symptoms. On Tuesday, Boxing Day, we had tickets for Kempton Park, so I drove round the M25, still full of Lemsip. As the time for another dose approached I felt ghastly, but recovered in time to drive home. On the Wednesday there was a local party - just a few couples, but I had no energy, and was accused as you suggest. On the Thursday, the flu had gone, but I was short of breath. On the Friday I saw the doctor, who diagnosed "rather a nasty case of pneumonia" and sent me for x-ray. I was not accused of malingering again!

Deb's father had been a navigator on RAF transports in the last war. Born in Pegswood, educated at Morpeth Grammar School, he regarded Boulmer as being a particularly lonely posting - not that he was ever there, just that he knew the County.

Goodnight all after small glass of whisky and delay before taking blue tablet....of course !

Err, I have decided against taking the blue tablet tonight.......I do have these occasional moments of common sense.

• Like 15

Err, I have decided against taking the blue tablet tonight.......I do have these occasional moments of common sense.

Surely this is a bit too much information.....?

Anyhow, I think you're wise not to take the blue tablet. Once you get past a certain age, it's probably not fun to wake up all stiff in the morning......

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This man flu thing was coined as some kind of feminist derision of men in general. They wished to paint men out as wussy feeble malingerers, while they (the women) who know about pain because they have had to go through childbirth just get on with things. The childbirth thing may be horrible enough, and if men had to do it the human race would die out, but my experience of colds and flu is exactly the reverse of this man flu thing - ie I have never had a day off work through colds (because I know what flu really is - most don't) in 30 years. while my other half, bless her will whinge and whine and expect to be waited on etc when she has a slight snivel, you know, the sort of thing they call man flu, ha ha. Interesting isn't it! 

Actually it is worth comparing which sex frequents the doctors' surgery most and for what type of complaint. Women are there most weeks for absolutely anything, while men almost never go, which is why we are so often found dead one morning and no-one had any idea anything was wrong, and you see so many bus trips to the seaside for the elderly consisting of 95% females.

Back to the childbirth and pain thing. I really do know what pain is because while crawling under the layout, I keep finding those stray track pins get stuck in the gap between my knee caps and the space below them. Excruciating! Even worse than lego bricks!!!

Interesting point, before I retired a major part of my job was keeping and administering sickness records. It was obvious that women took more time of sick than men. Women would take a few days or a week or two at the most, men on the other hand would go for years sometimes without a days sickness before taking several months off sick. A good half of those men never returned to work, either their sickness was serious enough to warrant early retirement or they died. Men tend to neglect their health until its too late whereas women pay more attention to their health. I took early retirement 9 years ago when I was 59 though my general health is pretty good. Many of my male colleagues who waited until they were 65 didn't even last as long as I have done.

• RMweb Gold

I always thought the man flu thing was a humorous bit of banter used as much by men as women. I have had far more days/months/years of illness than my wife has and she has worked harder to make our finances more stable.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Recent scientific research has shown that man flu does indeed exist and is worse than anything suffered by women.

Of course, scientific research is carried out by ... erm ... Scientists who just happen to be, ..... mostly..... Men.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ice hockey watched tonight. Although a 4-6 loss, it was probably the best I've seen the Hawks play all season. It was 4-5 with two minutes to go and they were chasing the draw (for an overtime period) when the Solway sharks netted an empty net goal. It was a cup game against the runaway league leaders - so a good performance from the boys.

Tonight's game is the big one - a proper "four pointer" against the team just one point above in the league. They drew 2-2 away against them last week.

Work at the commute tomorrow - a big batch test of some of our gear is the main item on the agenda.

Have a good Sunday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

I always thought the man flu thing was a humorous bit of banter used as much by men as women. I have had far more days/months/years of illness than my wife has and she has worked harder to make our finances more stable.

Then why is it 'man flu' rather than just flu? The implication being that if a man has it is somehow worse (than if a woman had it). I don't know, but I resent the implication that I am going to play on illness more because I'm male than I might do if I were female!

Edited by Dick Turpin