The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all.

HMRC visit today to review people's expense claims.

That's an all day visit, which will probably go as follows:

HMRC - why did x spend money on this item?

Lurker - I don't know. I will have to find out.

HMRC - can I see the receipt?

Lurker - of course, it is scanned in to the expense system.

HMRC - can I use your computer please?

Lurker - no, sorry. But we can print it off for you. 

I predict that they will find a couple of minor errors because no system is foolproof.

I think it is going to be a long day!

I hope that your days go quicker than mine is likely to!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Another restless night for the youngest, so all a bit jaded here.

As I'm working from home this week it's not a big deal.

swmbo looked out of the window this morning and on noting the neighbour's new car suggested that The Pope might be parked up on the drive. 

The car in question looks like a cross between the Popemobile :angel: and "The Beast".  :triniti:

To quote  Dolly Parton, it takes a lot of money to look that cheap.  :jester:

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Just heard on t'wireless that seagulls are a protected species due to population concerns. Really?

Best wishes

Ed

They have been since the 1869 Seabirds Preservation Act, the only exceptions were that the people of ST Kilda (Hirta) and an area of Lewis / Harris were still allowed to collect them, as it was their main food. I believe the people of Lewis / Harris still do to a small extent, the people of St Kilda having being evacuated in the early 1930s as the life was no longer sustainable.

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Slept like a log last night so why do I feel as if I'm ready to go back to bed? The forecast is that it will get colder by the weekend, north easterly winds are expected. Not much else to report, be back later.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone.

I've had a much better day today than I did yesterday, managing to get home in time for lunch. After a couple of phone calls to my boss, I then spent an hour or so in the workshop continuing work on the control panel. All the preliminary tests showed that it was working correctly, so next time I'll put in the control boards and do some more tests on the actual bits that will be eventually fitted to the boards. Then it's mark out the panel for the signals.

There was only one real Cockwomble of the day, myself and the car in front of me both pulled over to let a van coming towards us pass, only to be overtaken by white van man who then had to pull in sharply to avoid the van we were waiting for. A right Richard Cranium.

Don't you just love a bit of van on van action?

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

They have been since the 1869 Seabirds Preservation Act, the only exceptions were that the people of ST Kilda (Hirta) and an area of Lewis / Harris were still allowed to collect them, as it was their main food. I believe the people of Lewis / Harris still do to a small extent, the people of St Kilda having being evacuated in the early 1930s as the life was no longer sustainable.

Except the Lesser black Backed Gull, which still appears on the NE/DEFRA General Licence as a pest species.

Herring Gulls (which imo are the bigger pest) are still protected, yet you may remove their eggs and destroy nests if there is a risk to H&S (which probably means public health).

• RMweb Gold

Mainly black headed gulls in the park and herring gulls flying about above the house here.

They are not a nuisance here as there is plenty of food for them in Pitsea. What happens when the refuse tip finally closes will be interesting.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

Morning

Fasting blood test and ECG this morning.

I am starving.

Will call in at mums after the doctors visit for lunch.

You’re back. How was trip Ian? Or has it been talked about elsewhere on RMw? Trust you had a chance to forget Southern woes...

Best, Pete.

• Like 16

Sadly I fear this will mean a visit by "The Duck" to Europe, for the commemorations,

Lightengine said        "He would have it rewritten and Arnie winning it single handed in about 6 days."

Arnies ancestors were on the other side, and "The Duck" wouldn't have given him a visa.

But The Donalds ancestry is German also. Was his grandfather interned?

From his German ancestry point of view he could rewrite the Great War with Arnie winning it single handedly for Germany.

Makings of an interesting film and lots of possibilities for re enactment groups.

• RMweb Premium

But The Donalds ancestry is German also. Was his grandfather interned?

From his German ancestry point of view he could rewrite the Great War with Arnie winning it single handedly for Germany.

Makings of an interesting film and lots of possibilities for re enactment groups.

And his mother was Scottish so Arnie will have to wear a kilt. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Reasonable weather but 'colder' is forecast for later in the week so the ready use log pile needs to be restocked in order to provide fuel to keep the cats at the temperature to which they have become accustomed.  So taht might be doen today and later we have the diabolical diabetic eye test thingy but fortunately the forecast of rain has ceased - hopefully correctly.

Have a good day one and all.

• RMweb Premium

And his mother was Scottish so Arnie will have to wear a kilt. :jester:

To be more technically correct she is from the Ghàidhealtachd, and the male Gaels in Scotland (not Ireland) wore the kilt (fèileadh mor or fèileadh beag).

The Scots themselves did not wear the kilt. The Adoption of Kilt wear for occasions anywhere south of a line between say just north of Glasgow  and Dundee is a very modern happening. The Scots are often refered to by Gaels as English.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Except the Lesser black Backed Gull, which still appears on the NE/DEFRA General Licence as a pest species.

Herring Gulls (which imo are the bigger pest) are still protected, yet you may remove their eggs and destroy nests if there is a risk to H&S (which probably means public health).

Surely on of the biggest threats to H&S is destroying nests they don't take kindly to people approaching their nests.

Don

• RMweb Gold

You’re back. How was trip Ian? Or has it been talked about elsewhere on RMw? Trust you had a chance to forget Southern woes...

Best, Pete.

Pete

Yes we had a good trip. I havent really posted much on it. I may post a few on the general Czech railways thread.

Only the second time that the plane we have been onboard has been de-iced. Despite the delays form de-icing, we were still on time into Gatwick and once we had walked the mile (or at least that is what it feels like) from the remote part of North terminal to border control we didnt even have to queue to use the electronic passport machines.

I haven't been on a Southern train for over a week now which is good.

We did travel on an ex Southern one thats now Thameslink yesterday back from Gatwick.

My other half has been to and from work whilst I have been off and the trains are generally Ok now the industrial action has been suspended. Still the odd staff shortage or failure though.

Back from the doctors. ECG results fine but I still am getting bad chest pains which I did tell them about.

Will have to see what the doctor says when I next see them along with the blood test results.

• RMweb Premium

I'm going to escape the confines of the orifice, as I've been given a little project that requires me to drive around the Cheshire countryside gathering some data from some of our end users (customers). The morning was spent putting the list into some sort of order to make driving around easier, but the best of it is, there is a site that is a 10 minute walk from home. Guess where I'm off to then?

Back later

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Pete

Yes we had a good trip. I havent really posted much on it. I may post a few on the general Czech railways thread.

Only the second time that the plane we have been onboard has been de-iced...

Back from the doctors. ECG results fine but I still am getting bad chest pains which I did tell them about.

Will have to see what the doctor says when I next see them along with the blood test results.

When we left Calgary our plane had to be de-iced twice due to "tardy" passengers. They were having difficulty accessing the luggage due to ice to remove baggage and then the passengers turned up and it was easier to let them board. By then the conditions at the normal deicing stand were so awful the plane had to be moved to another. The passengers had got "lost" between check in and security. For those of you who have been to Calgary Airport you will know why this was considered to be a feeble excuse.

Doctors don't seem to mind being told about chest pains. My left hand side pains turned out to be referred pain from the colon and the right hand chest pains were costochondritis (it will get better, take paracetamol etc).

Tony

Edit to change second left to right!

Edited by Tony_S

Nice warmish dry day here in sunny Teignmouth.

Lucky (given name not our choice) the dog has settled. He sleeps like he has been attacked by the tsetse fly. He has received some training in the past but is not road aware. He is very placid and as yet we still have not heard him bark.

Maybe I have missed a post from AndyRam but is there any news?

• Like 15

HUMP day and the drive into the office for the once-a-week check to see if it still exists :)

Actually FORGOT that we're starting to get to the point where the sun is rising on the drive in - was about 5 minutes ahead of cockwomblery fortunately, but will make note for next week!

Nothing to report, Tuesday a complete yawner.

Will be leaving the "office" right after lunch to pick Jemma up from the airport on the way home, then finish the work day in the home office.

A quick downward turn to the VERY COLD for the next two days, then expecting much warmer weather.

Right now -17 and sunny with a wind chill of -28, brisk to say the least  :O

Over the HUMP we go....

Afternoon all

Chillier here today with a bright morning, now a little overcast.

Morning walk was good, noticed the lack of houses for sale. I know that early February isn't the time but I'd've thought that the early spring sellers would have their homes for sale.

If anyone here likes Eno's noodlings his latest album, Reflections, is one-track 54 minutes of bliss.

Butter news: Morrison's Scottish butter still at £1.08 for 250g, whilst Sainsbury's is £1.40.

Have a good afternoon

Mal

• Like 13