The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

On the way home henwomble in front of me decides to pass bus that was stopped, unfortunately it was at the tail of a traffic jam so that left her no where to go. I had to stop early and when the bus moved off let her back in, the cars coming the other way were not amused!! Shortly after The bus went through lights on orange, but she followed well and truly on red More less than amused drivers...

Had today the annual assessments for last year, score 0.1 up on last year let's see if that increase even more over the average mark will bring even an average pay rise.

One oddity my boss gave me an exceedingly good write up at the end of the figures and then presented me with 2 A3 sheets of paper showing the 'ologists grading system (6 levels).

I'm in the upper half of the technicians grading system. He had highlighted the various requirements of the bottom level of 'ologists almost all of which I already am qualified for or do.

He then said he had talked to the top 'ologist in the company in the USA, my boss then said he wants me to do a couple of courses next year (which starts April the 1st), and my objectives will be set so I can get the 'ologists title.

Unfortunately that will still mean I'm in the same job and pay grade, but it will give me a bit more job security, as all the other technicians won't be an 'ologist.

This tablet won't allow me to add the smilies I think today's interview was due!!!

I hope others on here get equal or better news with their jobs.

• Like 9

The garbage truck (bin lorry/midden motor) has just come round - with chains on.

You mean the dustmen.

"Dustmen in Chains" - good name for a group.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought a moat, portcullis and drawbridge more appropriate.

And a lot of boiling oil or molten lead.

Haven't they still got the defences at Windsor and I bet the oil and spare lead are still in the basement somewhere.   Perhaps a rapier battery on top of the round tower might work as well.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

"Dustmen in Chains" - good name for a group.

Yes, I like thinking of everyday items that would make 'cool' names for popular beat combos (!). My all-time favourite is north of Pulborough on the Mid-Sussex line - Codmore Hill Substation.

• Like 17

Haven't they still got the defences at Windsor and I bet the oil and spare lead are still in the basement somewhere. 

Simply have the Duchess of Cambridge tell him bluntly that he's hideous to look at and tedious to listen to.

Naturally she will want to stand at more than arm's length away.

It is hard, if not impossible, to snub a beautiful woman - they remain beautiful and the rebuke recoils.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Simply have the Duchess of Cambridge tell him bluntly that he's hideous to look at and tedious to listen to.

Naturally she will want to stand at more than arm's length away.

I think she'd prefer about 3000 miles.....

Yes, I like thinking of everyday items that would make 'cool' names for popular beat combos (!). My all-time favourite is north of Pulborough on the Mid-Sussex line - Codmore Hill Substation.

There was a 60s group who were supposed to have come up with their name by getting someone to open a dictionary at a couple of random pages and , with eyes closed, pointing on the page - Mandrake Paddle Steamer. Sounds believable to me!

The other "make up names for ..." game is pub names. You have to try hard to beat some of the real ones, such as "Sun and 13 Cantons" in Soho, or the English-style "Frog and Nightgown" near us here.

• Like 15

Airport pubs?

Flap and Throttle

Windsock Arms

The pub in the terminal for seaplane flights, on the Fraser River adjacent to Vancouver International airport, is appropriately named 'The Flying Beaver'.
  • Like 5

The old air freshener cant be beaten, Gatport Airwick. Maybe not a beat combo though

• Like 12

Lead-free bullets then?

Given that this year's the Centenary of US involvement in the Great War, why not give Donald a taste of their experiences in the trenches? :triniti: :hunter:

:punish:

:jester:

He would have it rewritten and Arnie winning it single handed in about 6 days.

My predicted long day happened. On site early in Watford only for the client to arrive 20 minutes later than scheduled. It then took 2 hours to get from there to Twickenham. To say that this job didn't go to plan is an understatement. It then took over 2 hours to travel the 19 miles home. I'm certainly hoping that tomorrow isn't as bad.

• RMweb Premium

E'ning all. A more or less lazy day off was had while meteorological parameters outside continued to leave a lot to be desired. Off to bed soon and having taken note of three tram vs. car accidents yesterday and today (all due to errors committed by the motorists involved) …

http://www.lvz.de/Leipzig/Polizeiticker/Polizeiticker-Leipzig/Drei-Zusammenstoesse-mit-Strassenbahnen-mehr-als-20.000-Euro-Schaden

…I shall hope that my shift tomorrow will pass without incident, given that I, too, had two fairly near misses on Friday. Perhaps, and given the city council's tremendous inertia relative to taking action towards improving traffic conditions throughout the city, it'd be best for me to tell myself, if it is meant to happen, so be it…

Generic C&Cs to everyone. Nighty…

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

I've had a much better day today than I did yesterday, managing to get home in time for lunch. After a couple of phone calls to my boss, I then spent an hour or so in the workshop continuing work on the control panel. All the preliminary tests showed that it was working correctly, so next time I'll put in the control boards and do some more tests on the actual bits that will be eventually fitted to the boards. Then it's mark out the panel for the signals.

There was only one real Cockwomble of the day, myself and the car in front of me both pulled over to let a van coming towards us pass, only to be overtaken by white van man who then had to pull in sharply to avoid the van we were waiting for. A right Richard Cranium.