The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

JohnDMJ - PM sent so that ER's isn't clogged up with model rail related posts.

What is the world coming to? A railway-related forum clogged up with Model Railway posts? The end of the world is surely nigh!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

There have been some problems with off shore burials about a decade ago. I dredge to think what happened. ;)

Tony, good to hear the brambles are invading again. They used to stretch from Belton Way downwards. 

It's always good to see Dave F's LT&S photos of the area. 

As for the RN dispersing of its personnel. I'm reminded of the time my skinny brother was put down the barrel of one of their cannons (other technical terms are available) to "clean it". I suspect they'd struggle to do that now! 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and dull here, looks like it will stay that way.

Duncan, I agree with you about yesterday's rugby but I think you'll find Italy v Wales is on ITV with a 2.00pm kick off.

We're off to collect Gemma shortly from her best friend's house where she has been for a "sleep-over". From experience where 5 or 6 12/13 year old girls are involved that should be called a "wide-awake over". She's here for the day while her Mum, Dad and siblings are going elsewhere.

Later I may be taking a screwdriver to my Peckett.   :butcher:

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

I had Sister Diabetes on the phone the other day.  She is worried about a high level of something in my blood of which I forget the name [triglycerite? troglodyte?] and has put me on a different type of statin.  When I collected the prescription I noticed an addition to the request form, viz the chewy minty things that are supposed to boost my calcium levels. 

Chris

Chris, Probably “Triglycerides”  http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/tc/high-triglycerides-overview

Usually due to too much “fats and sugars” in one’s diet. Yet another killjoy...

Best, Pete.

What is the world coming to? A railway-related forum clogged up with Model Railway posts? The end of the world is surely nigh!

It probably is anyway!!!! Ho, ho.

Actually where Early Risers is located in RMWeb, “Wheeltappers” is described in the header as  “ The non-railway and non-modelling social zone”.

No one cares too much, anyway...

Best, Pete.

Edited due to Freudian slip...

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Dry day, occasional sunshine, no major plans (or minor ones come to that) although I do wonder if some sort of breakfast might be offered as I missed out on the offer of one yesterday.

Have a good day one and all and hope the day goes particularly well for Sherry now she's back among us.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's a dull but dry start to the day, so it's off to the workshop for me.

Glad to see that Sherry finally made it home safely, I have a feeling that she will be well looked after too.

Back later.

• Like 10

Morning all,

Cold and damp in South East London.

The knee had blown up, which didn't help when running yesterday's conference. What skills are needed to process 150 people, who mostly turn up five minutes before the start, then move them between workshops? Yes, model railway exhibition management! We did get to meet our new Bishop, however.

Then two hours in the Royal Oak nursing a pint of mild before being joined by HJ.

Finally home, bed, straight to sleep and almost missed this morning's alarm clock for 8:00am Mass.

Knee slightly better.

Keep well all, Bill

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning, I have not been around this forum or site much this year, January has been a month I would rather forget. My brother in law passed away and although this was expected its still hard to come to terms with.

Two days after his funeral my best friend who I have known since primary school some 55 years collapsed and died from a heart attack, totally out of the blue he was very active and seemed to be in good health.

There is more I could say but I guess its just the way things go sometime, things are getting back to normal if that makes sense, I have helped my sister with all  the forms/notifications that follow a partners death and

we seem to have sorted all that needs to be done.

Looking forward to having the time to do some modeling now, obviously I have missed a great deal, so congrats and commiserations as appropriate to events that have unfolded to all of you on here this year.

Cheers Alan

Chris, Probably “Triglycerides”  http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/tc/high-triglycerides-overview

Best, Pete.

It may help explain his condition. His arteries are clogged up with troglodytes. Bwoody cave dwellers!

On the subject of burial at sea. My paternal grandfather, John Charles Wass, was most certainly buried at sea, probably without any ceremony. His ship the "Severn Leigh" was torpedoed by the U37 south of Iceland in Sept 1940. The ship didn't sink immediately and whilst the crew took to the lifeboats, the "sparks " sent out a distress call. The U37 surfaced to sink the Severn Leigh with its deck gun and shrapnel from one of the rounds hit my grandfather's boat and killed him.

The rest of the crew escaped the scene and made it to South Uist. The U-boat managed to survive the war, being scuttled in  May 1945.  

Edited by Judge Dread

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of burial at sea. My paternal grandfather, John Charles Wass, was most certainly buried at sea, probably without any ceremony. His ship the "Severn Leigh" was torpedoed by the U37 south of Iceland in Sept 1940. The ship didn't sink immediately and whilst the crew took to the lifeboats, the "sparks " sent out a distress call. The U37 surfaced to sink the Severn Leigh with using its deck gun and one of the rounds hit my grandfather's boat and killed him.

The rest of the crew escaped the scene and made it to South Uist. The U-boat managed to survive the war, being scuttled in  May 1945.  

The bl00dy inhumanity of war is appalling. I expect the German U boat commander was intent on killing as many of the crew as possible and not content with the sinking of the ship.

Don 

• RMweb Gold

Best, Pete.

Fat and eaten is converted to Triglycerides and may be stored in globules. However when dieting and exercising you hope the fat is transported as triglycerides in the blood to muscles etc where it can be used.

Don 

Been down my shed workshop.

It's cold in the shed workshop.

Could have turned the heater on but too stupid concerned about electricity bills.

Made a new top for my chair-side in the breakfast room. Put a lip on the back to stop things falling off and getting lost under the radiator cover.

Happy with myself. Didn't hurt myself or chimp anything.

Now just the dishwasher (twice by the look of it), clean up the kitchen and cook dinner. And varnish previously mentioned top. Again.

No Monty for me today.

Best wishes to all, and big condolences to Alan. 

• RMweb Gold

Yippee!  Screwdriver has been wielded and decoder fitted to my Peckett which has suffered no damage in the process and it works! :imsohappy:

Now for some rugby   :yes:  and possibly a beer to celebrate. :drinks:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13

The bl00dy inhumanity of war is appalling. I expect the German U boat commander was intent on killing as many of the crew as possible and not content with the sinking of the ship.

Don 

Very possibly but more likely he wanted the radio transmissions to stop. There have been occasions where the the sub has surfaced to ensure the crew had enough water etc to survive. Orders soon came from above for this to not happen and the survivors of a sinking ship were left to their fate.  

• RMweb Gold

Don 

In 'the good old days' of WWI, U-Boats usually (but not always: ie Lusitania) would surface for ships they had positively identified as a merchantman, and invite the crew to take to the boats, and then proceed to sink the ship with gun fire.

The British, ever happy to press a tactical advantage, developed the Q ship,  a freighter type ship with hidden guns.  On seeing the 'panic crew' make a rapid disembarkation to the ships boats, the U-Boat would close in to close range to use it's deck gun.  At a suitable time the Q ship then opened fire, generally sinking the U-Boat.

Eventually the Germans got wise to this ruse, and decided that the risk to their crews was too great, so the 'gentlemanly side' of warfare stopped.  This was one of the causes of the 'unrestricted warfare' where U-boats just torpedoed everything.

As we all know we had brave UK submariners but the Germans U boats and their crews were vilified. Yet in WWII 793 U boats were lost with around 28000 crew.  A mortality rate of 75%.

As as a direct comparison to JD's family tragedy, I would like to draw attention to the Laconia incident.  Rather than try to summarise what happened, the Wikipedia version of events is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laconia_incident.

Whichever side you are on, as William Sherman: "War is Hell".

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1

It is 3.46, and we've just had decaff tea. We were in bed by 22.30, but neither of us slept much. Sherry had been released at 16.30, and I took her luggage down to the car, where I waited for the porter to deliver her in a wheelchair. One hour later, Nurse Anna appeared as a DIY porter. Were the porters all busy? The hospital was very quiet. But there was some sort of rugby match on the tv.

Sherry - and not a few others - had suffered with nausea after Tramadol was administered for pain relief. She is now on more everyday remedies. But she's home. Just like Lightengine's lady, Sherry found the nursing staff and physios to be quite splendid. A good experience. The rehab starts here......

So pleased to hear that Sherry has returned home - there's no better place once you're on the road to recovery. I think that the strong painkillers can upset your sleep for a night or two. Dunno what Tramadol does to us but I was fightened to shut my eyes for a few seconds because of the waking nightmares. No nausea, tho.

Good afternoon all

The atmosphere at the Scotland-Ireland rugby game yesterday was wonderful in the packed-out stadium. It was a very exciting game with some spectacular rugby played by both sides - and how long do I have to wait before spoilers? Tomorrow be ok? - Every time the Ireland supporters sang Ireland, it was quickly drowned out by Scotland. A very friendly crowd of Irish supporters. A good game.

There are designated places for scattering ashed here in Scotland. There's a special area on Arthur's Seat, for instance (technically it is owned by the Queen) and for other areas you usually need to ask for permission not ony to scatter but where to scatter. Unsure about scattering at sea close to the shore.

Alan, sorry to hear about your January and hope that the rest of the year is much better.

Are any other ERs planning to be at ModelRail Scotland on the Friday this year?

Meanwhile, have a great weekend

Mal

• Like 18