The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Just a flying visit to catch up on events since yesterday afternoon.

It is cold and rather grey today, but the sun is trying to put in an appearance.

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit overcast and rain predicted for this corner of the country. I realised that I hadn't got a 2017 calender so I kept my eye open for any bargains and fortunately found some in Pitsea Tesco's at 19p. each so I grabbed a couple. Not much else to report, be back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

I have made tea and eaten breakfast.

I don't think we are going anywhere apart from the park or nearby fields today so that Robbie can have a run.

A couple of days ago I found my soldering iron and solder. Yesterday I managed to summon up enough enthusiasm to bring it into the house along with some shrink wrap and Kapton tape. Perhaps before the weekend is out I may manage to solder 4 tiny wires.

Tony

• Like 6

Some near neighbours accompanied cremated remains back to Ireland recently. The Catholic Church had recently changed rules on disposal of ashes so the urn got taken to where the person had wanted their remains to be scattered and then taken to a more approved final place.

Tony

I can't see how they could make you move to a more approved place. I might accidentally on purpose drop the urn and say "oops"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't see how they could make you move to a more approved place. I might accidentally on purpose drop the urn and say "oops"

I had to dispose of my aunt's ashes.  She had lived at Keswick most of her life so my wife and I thought that Derwentwater would be a suitable place.  We went to Keswick with the plastic urn in the boot but then realised that someone might object to us going out in a rowing boat with said urn.  We then had to trawl the charity shops to buy a small rucksack.   Thus equipped off we set and hired a rowing boat and took a rucksack with s with a 'picnic' in it.

We then rowed our around Derwent Isle and deposited the ashes with fabulous views all around.   I'm sure she would have approved as she had a great sense of humour.

Jamie

• Like 17

Some places do object to human ash being scattered at beauty spots. I think they are missing a trick, though. They could charge a fee for scattering ashes.

It would be a "Pay As You Urn" system.

Oh puhleaze!

How would they tell you were dropping ashes?

Walking around some NT garden with ash falling out of your trouser leg.

• Like 2

On the ferries we had a chef who committed suicide. The company held the service on the ferry. After a few words they went to the stern of the top car deck and dispersed the ashes. Most of which blew back up onto the car deck onto the gathered group.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all; the sun has come out after a dull, wet week.

My late FIL was ex-RAF, long service. Mrs mole managed to arrange for his ashes to be scattered from the BBMF Lancaster, over fields somewhere in the Midlands while heading back to Scampton from an event. They supplied a map reference for the drop and it was duly observed from the nearest road. The RAF was also represented at his funeral by a pilot from 111 Squadron, his old squadron in WW2. He was an engine fitter then, promoted through the ranks and commissioned post-war.

We went to the theatre last night to see the stage adaptation of "Monstrous Regiment". Great fun.

Laundry needs doing, then a trip out after lunch for shopping and possibly a pint or two. The excitement is underwhelming. 

Have a good day.

Pete

• Like 7

On the ferries we had a chef who committed suicide. The company held the service on the ferry. After a few words they went to the stern of the top car deck and dispersed the ashes. Most of which blew back up onto the car deck onto the gathered group.

He really didn't want to leave, did he?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I realised that I hadn't got a 2017 calender so I kept my eye open for any bargains and fortunately found some in Pitsea Tesco's at 19p. each so I grabbed a couple.

One for this year and one for next. Good thinking.

Ouch, I only give cabbage and sprouts about 5 minutes and broccoli about 3 (once the water has come back to the boil)

Since most veg (not spuds!) can be eaten raw, even 5 minutes will degrade their vitamin content significantly.

I recall reading that frozen veg retain more nutrition than fresh ones from the grocer; as soon as they are picked, they start to degrade; freezing, apparently, slows, or halts, this degradation

I find cooking veg pretty simple 

When boiling things 

Potatoes 20 mins 

Carrots (large) 20 mins or 15 if cut small

Cabbage, Runner Beans, Brocoli, sprouts 15 mins

Peas Sweetcorn (frozen) 5 mins

THey can all go in one saucepan the pototoes go in with the cold water when that boils it is twenty mins to go so five mins later sliced carrots, cabbage etc can go in, clock continues once boiling again. another ten mins then peas go in boil fo another 5 mins.

Drain sufficient water into the gravy (wholemeal floor&veg stock for us) then serve

This is almost the exact formula for school dinners - boil until all the goodness is gone - which explains why generations of schoolchildren hated veg.

• RMweb Gold

I think the disposal of ashes followed a statement from the Vatican about ash scattering rather than the secular authorities in Ireland.

Overseas Hindus used to think it was necessary to spread ashes onto the waters of the Ganges but modern thought seems to suggest any river will do. I have told in these pages before of how Robbie "helped" with the dispersal of FiL's ashes in the River Trent.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

This is almost the exact formula for school dinners - boil until all the goodness is gone - which explains why generations of schoolchildren hated veg.

Overcooked veg is not a favourite of mine.  I'm with the "just cooked" school of al dente potatoes and carrots with a slight crunch to greens.  Boil salted water first.  Potatoes go in on a rolling boil and nothing else goes in with them. Carrots go in five minutes later to another pan again on a rolling boil at which time lower the potatoes to a brisk simmer.  Another five minutes and it's time to place the greens (of any / all required varieties) in the steamer / colander / kitchen sieve to steam - not immersed at all - above the carrots and with the lid over the steamer.  Allow five minutes and the whole lot should be ready.  Lift carrots and potatoes from their water or strain and return to the pots then allow all veg to rest for a couple of minutes before serving.

Morning all.  More than somewhat tired here.  A mighty effort saw the house, drive and hobby area thoroughly cleaned and tidied ready for today's event.  Fifteen turned up - a goodly and comfortable number - to share chat, tea, biscuits, cake and enjoy the final open-house running day at Penhayle Bay.  A lot of effort goes into these days from cleaning everything (house, scenery, driveway, wheel rims, rails etc) to setting up the table with the nibbles.  Kitchen fairies seem a bit hard to come by on Saturdays!  A thoroughly enjoyable five hours was had by all.  Friendships were renewed and in some cases made for the first time.  Many questions were answered about our own future plans.  

Sharon cooked pasta carbonara for tea while I tidied and closed up the outside areas.  After a hot afternoon a large glass of chilled wine went down a treat.  Since when I have been struggling to stay awake and am about to abandon that struggle.  

Sunday tomorrow; the seaweed-wranglers are predicting a lack of sun and a significant amount of rain.  Between 20 - 30mm they say.  I'll take the shampoo outside and shower on the drive ;)

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I think the disposal of ashes followed a statement from the Vatican about ash scattering rather than the secular authorities in Ireland.

Overseas Hindus used to think it was necessary to spread ashes onto the waters of the Ganges but modern thought seems to suggest any river will do. I have told in these pages before of how Robbie "helped" with the dispersal of FiL's ashes in the River Trent.

Tony

Don't ask to have ashes interred in a cemetery administered by a private company.  I was charged £700 by Dignity plc to have my father's ashes placed next to my Mum's in the cemetery at Lancaster.   Fortunately it didn't have to be paid by either my brother or I due to the way the will was structured.   Robbing bar stewards comes to mind.

Jamie  

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dying seems to be an expensive business all round.

I have repeatedly told Mrs BoD that as far as I am concerned she can just put me in one of the bins.

She asked whether I should go in the one for recycling or the one for landfill.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have repeatedly told Mrs BoD that as far as I am concerned she can just put me in one of the bins.

Aditi's Dad being the sort of person who was careful with expenditure so that he could be generous where necessary, specified that he wanted the cheapest coffin as it was only going to be burnt anyway. He suggested the "medical school coffin".

Aditi said she remembers going to her Grandfather's funeral when she was 5 before coming to England. Open pyre, no coffin.

• Like 13

If you've got flower beds, she could put you there. Then you could come up smelling of roses....

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

France declines to let you scatter ashes where you will. The undertaker receives the urn, and is able to empty it in certain designated locations. I found a quiet word in his ear when arranging the funeral worked wonders. I still have the urn - complete with post-it note "Madame Dudley - Bonnetable" but it is empty!

The current Mrs Dudley is due to be released from dock this afternoon. Visiting hours finish at 16.30, and that's when I am due to collect her. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Started off wet here, (very) and luckily the front dormer roof repair appears to be holding.  Then it stopped, and restarted, and stopped and restarted and .....

All posts since last night are read and rated, and it seems that we are a bit thin on the ground today, probably many of us are exhibiting/demonstrating/attending as it seems to be a busy weekend for many.  So those ailing and celebrating are as usual offered greetings all round.

DIscussion about to salt or not to salt, and how long to cook veg is interesting.  I was brought up in Scotland where two of the main dieterary ingredients were salt and sugar.  My mother cooked veg until it was almost mush, in what seemed like dead sea water.  So my palate was used to that regime from when I started to eat solid food.  That continued when I left home, as I cooked on much the same way when I could be bothered to cook at all - which wasn't all that often, as I survived on canteen meals, takeaways, and the like, and when I was eating, the first port of call was the salt dish.  When I met 30747, her mother had a similar but now QUITE so heavy handed approach to veg - slightly less salt, and slightly shorter boil (possibly 25 minutes instead of half an hour).  This also rubbed off onto her sisters, and one still cooks that way to this day.  30747 has never liked salty food, and she has used almost NO added salt in cooking, and veg is almost al dente.  So over the years, that's what I've got used to, though I do still add some salt at the plate.  Chips, however, are a different story, and we both like a generous shaking from both salt and vinegar bottles.  We don't have chips very often.  On the sugar side, most Scottish cakes and some bread are a lot more sugary than their Southern counterparts, and also more food colouring.  Pink iced buns and cream cookies are good examples of these delicacies.

Jobs still beckon, so hopefully back later.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 4