The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I saw the 15 Guinea Special as a 6 year old......

I was 15 and had just taken my O'levels.  Saw the northbound at Blea Moor and the Southbound going like hell for leather coming out of Birkett Tunnel at Mallerstang.  Those two black 5's left every banking on fire down the side of Wild Boar Fell.  No going out with a whimper.

Ian,

They should be...but not limp and wilted.

hth

It's a good thing that you're talking about Broccoli Richard otherwise Mick would be posting an EA.

Jamie

• Like 11

....having to take Warfarin to thin my blood ....

On the bright side, if you ever get rodent problems, you can poison 'em with your tablets.

....it has always been expensive to send bodies/coffins to Ireland - the costs was in the hundreds of £s back in the late 1960s so I'm not really surprised by the figure you quoted.

I've found an Undertaker in Catford who claim to be able to repatriate for £1940, so I'll call 'em to see if that price is still valid. If it is, they get the gig.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I find cooking veg pretty simple 

When boiling things 

Potatoes 20 mins 

Carrots (large) 20 mins or 15 if cut small

Cabbage, Runner Beans, Brocoli, sprouts 15 mins

Peas Sweetcorn (frozen) 5 mins

THey can all go in one saucepan the pototoes go in with the cold water when that boils it is twenty mins to go so five mins later sliced carrots, cabbage etc can go in, clock continues once boiling again. another ten mins then peas go in boil fo another 5 mins.

Drain sufficient water into the gravy (wholemeal floor&veg stock for us) then serve

Don

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Once the grandkids had gone home and the place had been tidied up, we sat down and opened a bottle of red, oooo it was nice!

We rarely eat processed food, but when we do eat it, we never add anymore salt and I never put salt in veg when I'm cooking it. Sheila used to put salt on almost all she ate, but as she now has blood pressure problems, she's stopped using it.

Like Neil, I used to take salt tablets when I worked in the forging area when I worked at British Steel, it used to get very warm in there, especially in the summer!

Goodnight all.

• Like 15

I've found an Undertaker in Catford who claim to be able to repatriate for £1940, so I'll call 'em to see if that price is still valid. If it is, they get the gig.

Yes, but what do they charge to remickriate?

• Like 1

Good morning one and all, after lying awake waiting for the alarm to sound.

I will be off to Stafford in a couple of hours or perhaps less.  It should be good and usually is.  Unless I forget to don it I will be wearing my RMweb badge in case anyone fancies a chat or, as the case may be, prefers evasive action.

The last time I saw a GP he asked me three times in 10 minutes whether I used salt in cooking.  I use only the bare minimum, in vegetables to be boiled and in porridge, and do not add it to meals when served.  Yesterday I finished the packet of frozen broccoli and served it with coq au vin.  I use frozen vegetables because sometimes I am an impulsive cook.

Enough already.  Warm thoughts to all, especially those deserving of them.

Chris

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning awl

A good night's sleep was had, nearly 7 hours, Needed that.

The work planned at the MRC went well, but only 5 attended, some people are away and some have switched to an all day Wednesday meeting. Quite windy when I left the MRC About 22:00, but the rain hadn't arrived.

I take very little salt, just a bit on raw tomatoes or chips, chips are a rareity these days and we rarely use any in cooking.

Due to the large amount of servos that will be required on my layout, I went for an Arduino mega, also a cheap Chinese rip-off board. Im half expecting to generate smoke so not wanting to spend much money. Not had much chance to work with it yet, but there are surprisingly useful programmes pre-written on the net that I've been studying.

I do the odd bit of programming at work, which involves telling electronic instruments to produce outputs and the telling others instruments to measure the output. Not too dissimilar to programming an Arduino, but yet another language to learn. It's a long time since programming in atlas / atal or 6502 / Z80 assembler....

Shelf building in the shed extension today, mostly without SWMBO, as she's out with one of her craft groups, it's a lecture / social event so if her hands aren't playing today she can rest them anyway.

It's been observed that the corridor I built has remained dry with its temporary plastic on the roof, which is good news, I'll check it for wind damage later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Going back to Horsetan's recent subject matter it has always been expensive to send bodies/coffins to Ireland - the costs was in the hundreds of £s back in the late 1960s so I'm not really surprised by the figure you quoted.

Wonder if Ryanair would accept it as cabin baggage?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It was soon after we married some 44 years ago that we stopped using salt in cooking. My mother insisted it would be bad for us and was necessary.  some 25 years or more later my mother was telling us that she had reduced the salt they used due to Dad's health problems and we should avoid it. I do get some from HP sauce on a fry up and  cheese which contains quite a bit.

On the question of fresh or frozen depends on whether it is home grown. You cannot beat veg picked the morning before cooking that's fresh. For things which freeze well if you grow enough freezing your own is ideal. Buying from a supermarket it takes a bit of time from the farm to the supermarket assuming it goes straight onto the shelf they may well keep it for a while. I don't think things like Peas and Sweetcorn are better fresh than frozen from a shop. I do find it amusing to see best before dates on potatoes when you know potatoes are stored following harvest, although they need to be stored out of the light so those big displays in the supermarket are not the best way to keep them.

Don 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a village afloat almost.  There was more than a touch of rain last night.  Sunny now though, as the pools of water in the garden slowly drain way.  Mrs H off out early to Pilates, as her Tuesday session was cancelled. Joe Pilates invented the exercise regime while he was interned here, I think in WW1 - useless fact.  Debs' Pilates instructor is Belgian....go figure, as our cousins across the big water say.

Not sure what the rest of the day will bring, my opinion hasn't yet informed me.  No doubt apres Pilates I will be updated.

• Like 4

Some near neighbours accompanied cremated remains back to Ireland recently. The Catholic Church had recently changed rules on disposal of ashes so the urn got taken to where the person had wanted their remains to be scattered and then taken to a more approved final place.

Tony

Just as well I am not a catholic then!

We scattered the ashes of one of Steph's american cousins on the top of Croagh Patrick last year. I wonder if that was an approved final place.

I find cooking veg pretty simple 

When boiling things 

Potatoes 20 mins 

Carrots (large) 20 mins or 15 if cut small

Cabbage, Runner Beans, Brocoli, sprouts 15 mins

Peas Sweetcorn (frozen) 5 mins

THey can all go in one saucepan the pototoes go in with the cold water when that boils it is twenty mins to go so five mins later sliced carrots, cabbage etc can go in, clock continues once boiling again. another ten mins then peas go in boil fo another 5 mins.

Drain sufficient water into the gravy (wholemeal floor&veg stock for us) then serve

Don

Ouch, I only give cabbage and sprouts about 5 minutes and broccoli about 3 (once the water has come back to the boil)

• Like 3

Wonder if Ryanair would accept it as cabin baggage?

I rather suspect that Ryanair would charge you for an extra seat* and insist that the coffin be standing rather than flat.

*plus booking fee, plus priority boarding fee, plus outsize baggage charge

Edited by Horsetan

Morning all. Late on parade as I actually slept through the alarm clock going off for over an hour.

I hope that those attending either Alton or Stafford today manage to see what they want to and come away with intact wallets.

Some comparative research on model rail software to decide what I going to use on my layout and maybe some practical modelling later.

Of course, there is also plenty of 6 nations rugby to watch today as well.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 15