The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Please no comments on the politics of the situation but I did think this comment by Mrs amusing.

On hearing on the news someone stating the Queen had been put in an impossible position Mrs commented 'After a lifetime of having Prince Philip insulting people all round the world coping with Trump should be a breeze'

Don

• Like 4

I cannot understand drivers who use their hazard lights when moving. What does it achieve apart from disabling their direction indicators?

The Highway Code Rule 116:

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use warning lights while driving or being owed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.

I don't know if it's the law or not, but it is very common to see transport trucks with their flashers on on mountain roads here in western Canada. It's an indication that they are moving very slowly either uphill, or downhill using engine braking.
  • Like 3

Please no comments on the politics of the situation but I did think this comment by Mrs amusing.

On hearing on the news someone stating the Queen had been put in an impossible position Mrs commented 'After a lifetime of having Prince Philip insulting people all round the world coping with Trump should be a breeze'

Don

I liked this one - from "Have I got News for you"...

post-20244-0-78738000-1485885752_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, crumbs.... John Wetton has died at 67 of Colon Cancer......

Probably the best bassist I’ve seen. You may recall him from Family, King Crimson, UK or Asia.

Get thy ass checked!

Pete.

Truly disheartening...

Getting serious for a minute, my dad died same age, same disease.

Do, PLEASE, get a regular/scheduled/age-appropriate, check as Pete says, I have done since I was 50, recommended age to start according to my doc.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Mongolian school bus - This is like a magic trick! I'm sitting there wondering HOW they are sneaking them back on the other side!

34 in total according to the comments on You Tube , must use something like a wine rack .

Edited by Sidecar Racer

... things like 'right turn on red' and what a flashing green signal means.

Please illuminate me. What does a flashing green aspect indicate?

The first time I saw a flashing amber was in Vancouver, BC.

Now flashing amber left turn arrows are proliferating rapidly here to indicate a permitted, but unprotected, left turn. I find them highly convenient, but more attention by the driver is required.

I was going to link to the same article Horsetan did. There's another flashing amber that that DriveSmartBC site doesn't mention - an 'advanced' warning on roads with speed limit higher than 60kph. If you see it begin to flash, it means that the next full traffic signal, which will currently be showing green, will be showing amber or red by the time you reach it, travelling at the speed limit.

I was going to link to the same article Horsetan did. There's another flashing amber that that DriveSmartBC site doesn't mention - an 'advanced' warning on roads with speed limit higher than 60kph. If you see it begin to flash, it means that the next full traffic signal, which will currently be showing green, will be showing amber or red by the time you reach it, travelling at the speed limit.

So the double yellow aspect then?

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

Don

Perhaps she needs to build a wall.

A tiring but rewarding day. Even though problems occured during the final assessment for the apprentice, he dealt with all of them professionaly and properly. So, not only did he pass but also impressed myself and the MD.

Now home after a long drive with patchy fog and plenty of the expected cockwombles on the road.

Rick - I hope that everything relating to the move goes to plan.

Dick - You have my sympathy for tackling Croydon IKEA. I avoided it like the plague before they re-vamped it. Now I won't go anywhere near the place.

Sherry - I hope everything goes well.

Back later.

• RMweb Gold

Oh, crumbs.... John Wetton has died at 67 of Colon Cancer......

Probably the best bassist I’ve seen. You may recall him from Family, King Crimson, UK or Asia.

Get thy ass checked!

Pete.

Truly disheartening...

Getting serious for a minute, my dad died same age, same disease.

Do, PLEASE, get a regular/scheduled/age-appropriate, check as Pete says, I have done since I was 50, recommended age to start according to my doc.

Totally agree with Pete and Ian.

I had my first of 3 PR bleeds 21 years ago aged 47 (no warnings or signs of anything wrong at all) and after being rushed to hospital had to have a transfusion. I was diagnosed with diverticular disease and had some polyps removed on each occasion which were benign. Since then I've had regular colonoscopies and I think I'm due for another this year. The slight inconvenience of this procedure is nothing compared to what a friend of ours who had colon cancer suffered.

PS My daughter organises appointments and beds for patients at The Royal Marsden Hospital. She finds it heartbreaking the number of people who leave things too late when an earlier examination could possibly have saved their life.

Edited by grandadbob

Thanks Mike, but a Club Duo to myself, with the large folding table, suits me fine. Lunch has come and gone, as has the severalth bottle (quarter, of course) of 2015 Muscadet that I have been provided with in recent trips. The only blot on the horizon, apart from limited vision due to low cloud/mist, is a rather brash bunch of antipodeans further down the car. And I've just spotted another herd of deer having a high old time in some farmer's vegetable field.

Roundhouse's Southern this ain't!

I think Mike wanted you downgraded to stop you getting free wine!

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Ian, I suppose auditors are like policemen, the older you get the younger they look. I noticed this during my last few years before I retired. Another thing is where I worked in local government there used to be a civil service department called District Audit that made regular audits of all local authorities. They were hot, even if your books were in perfect order you still worried when they asked to check them. In the late 80's they were privatised and their work was farmed out to a big finance company. Within a few years the experienced auditors had been replaced by one newly qualified auditor in charge of a group of trainee auditors. As it happened I had heard rumours of a certain council project overunning its budget without it being bought to anyones attention until it was too late and then being brushed under the carpet.

• Like 11

Car passed its MOT today, but walking out of the garage this morning I passed a council bin lorry: both operatives at the rear were attractive young ladies.  Then caught a bus, first in the queue was a lady of about my age best described as "eccentric".  As the bus stopped two kids of about ten appeared in front of her and were surprised when their collars were felt and they were deposited at the back of the queue.

Rant mode on - why do kids of about ten sit in the disabled seats and don't stand up for a disabled person and with the collusion of their bl00dy mothers.  Fifty years ago, I would have got a clip around the ear. Rant mode off.

Bill

• Like 2

Our walk was delayed as we were looking at our neighbour's latest car acquisition. I have mentioned the Fiats and Trabant and the strange 8×8 thing. The latest vehicle is a Corvette and Aditi was somewhat taken with the vehicle so had the guided tour.

Tony

Corvette? In a previous life I lived in Flint, Michigan for a year where they were made. I was married nearby in a place called Holly in 1971. I was divorced in Newton Abbot court in 2014.

And then I remarried ..........!

• Like 3