The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Belated hello from a chilly Somerset.

I have recovered from an afternoon of pasta making; and even though I say it myself the tagliatelle I produced was not bad at all.

While preparing the dinner, and with the prospect of a loft conversion no closer, I had thoughts of a temporary modelling project on one wall of the smallest bedroom. I would have a space of 10ft x 2ft, and thought maybe a loco shed scenario would be an option - mainly because any hidden area would only need to be 18 inches long approx. 

Any thoughts from others on whether I am getting too ambitious are welcome. The shed would be ER late 50s, and to keep costs down card kits would be to the fore. I was encouraged to see a cenotaph coaler now available from Superquick.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Very late on parade today, but I've finally managed to catch up and rate all of today's posts.

When I got up this morning it was a beautiful day, blue skies, sunny, a bit on the cool side, but no sign of frost. So, as we were having 3 of the grandkids round for tea tonight and as we had to go and pick them from school, I decided to go straight outside and make the most of the sunshine! Before I went to the workshop I retrieved a few bits and pieces from storage that I needed to make the control panel, as I needed to know how big to make the shelf, which is now almost finished. I also made a bit of a start on the control panel itself, I've fitted a power socket, a double pole mains switch, and the 3 output sockets have all been fitted to the back of the panel casing. There's plenty of room for switches, lights and a track diagram on the front as well as a means on light.

After the grandkids had gone home, the exclusive hairdressing boutique that is 'Vidal Baboon's' was once again open for business and I have been suitably shorn and I now look like somebody owns me.

Now I think it's time for a well earned bottle of red, put my feet up and a catch up of some recorded TV.

DD. Great news for you both.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Belated hello from a chilly Somerset.

I have recovered from an afternoon of pasta making; and even though I say it myself the tagliatelle I produced was not bad at all.

While preparing the dinner, and with the prospect of a loft conversion no closer, I had thoughts of a temporary modelling project on one wall of the smallest bedroom. I would have a space of 10ft x 2ft, and thought maybe a loco shed scenario would be an option - mainly because any hidden area would only need to be 18 inches long approx. 

Any thoughts from others on whether I am getting too ambitious are welcome. The shed would be ER late 50s, and to keep costs down card kits would be to the fore. I was encouraged to see a cenotaph coaler now available from Superquick.

I have built an 0 gauge layout including the fy in 10ftx 2ft 2in with a platform and goods sidings so you can make quite a range of choices in that space.

Don

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

If nothing else, it demonstrates the ultimate extreme of the American Dream: that anything is possible, and even an imbecile - albeit a wealthy and unashamedly self-interested one - can become President.

And after Trump, who's next? Paris Hilton? Gwyneth Paltrow?

Paris Hilton has hinted that she would like to run for president. :O Another 'celeb' who has been suggested is George Clooney so its not all bad.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ho, ho, very droll (for those not familiar with County Clare, Lahinch is the nearest town to yer man's golf course. Also a surfing centre).

Lahinch GC proper (not the Trump course) is fabulous. I was lucky enough to be invited to play there for a couple of days.

We arrived mid-afternoon hoping to go out for 9 holes but our host said it'll be unfit to play (otherwise known as absolutely persisting down) in about 30 minutes, as he looked along the coast towards a grey cloud.

Sure enough half an hour later and webbed feet were the order of the day.

The following two days were brilliant. It was the first time I played a proper links course.

On one blind tee shot, there was a spotter to see where your shot went. He was called George and it was the 4th hole. Yep - you've guessed it, his nickname was George the 4th.

I remember the trip for other reasons as well. We flew Ryanair with one of their 99p offers one way. Return was £29.99. It cost more to transport my clubs both ways than me......

It was also during the  time when the Irish had introduced the no-smoking in public places before the UK did. It was quite strange at the time to see everyone outside having a ciggy.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mick..... forms?????

baz

Count me in. Busy, busy, busy this week. Work and dealing with c&ckwomble ISPs and banks....... By coincidence, they are both Yorkshire based.................

I now have a few days off to catch up elsewhere..... including your forms.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of folks going to Women's marches across the country tomorrow - we're going to the on in St. Paul. Will be quite a nationwide event by all accounts.

Let's hope they don't descend into violence, and general disorder which in my eyes tends to destroy any credibility in their cause.

I note they have already managed this in Washington and London today.

• Like 3

Let's hope they don't descend into violence, and general disorder which in my eyes tends to destroy any credibility in their cause.

That assumes they had any credibility in the first place.

Which is why I remain a supporter of The Queen and her descents(for all the flaws) as the UK's Head of State.

The alternative of a republic with a president just don't bear thinking about. (Think Gove, Mandelson, Johnson. Bliar to name but a few presidential hopefuls)

During WWII, the UK was well served by King George VI and Queen Consort Elizabeth and PM Churchill. We were also lucky that FDR was on our side, too. Mind you, Eleanor Roosevelt didn't seem too impressed by the Queen, whom she thought "Queened it too much" ...

• RMweb Gold

Paris Hilton has hinted that she would like to run for president. :O Another 'celeb' who has been suggested is George Clooney so its not all bad.

Paris Hilton would be most unlikely to do anything I feel I am sure she would leave things to someone else, George might feel compelled to make an attempt ....

Incidentally would Paris have more or less brain than 'W' Bush

Don

• Like 1

Between Christmas and the New Year, I bought a railroad DVD from Pentrex, who are based in California. I got an e-mail on December 29, saying it had been mailed to me here in Canada. There was no tracking number in the e-mail. As of this morning, it hadn't arrived, and I was thinking I was going to have to get in touch with Pentrex to say it had been lost. It turned up in the mailbox about noon. Here is the explanation for the delay:

post-1771-0-05326700-1484951032.jpg

The outer bubble bag had been slit and then resealed with that tape. The cellophane wrapper round the DVD itself had also been slit. Remember, it was coming FROM the States, and this was the US Customs who had opened it, not the Canadian Customs.

I wonder what they were looking at it for. I sincerely hope they were disappointed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Between Christmas and the New Year, I bought a railroad DVD from Pentrex, who are based in California. I got an e-mail on December 29, saying it had been mailed to me here in Canada. There was no tracking number in the e-mail. As of this morning, it hadn't arrived, and I was thinking I was going to have to get in touch with Pentrex to say it had been lost. It turned up in the mailbox about noon. Here is the explanation for the delay:

attachicon.gifIMG_20170120_130134441.jpg

The outer bubble bag had been slit and then resealed with that tape. The cellophane wrapper round the DVD itself had also been slit. Remember, it was coming FROM the States, and this was the US Customs who had opened it, not the Canadian Customs.

I wonder what they were looking at it for. I sincerely hope they were disappointed.

Probably making sure that it wasn't a DVD of Trump antics....

Cheers,

Mick

Nothing herbal, then.

That would be much more likely to be going the other way. Depending on source, growing bud may be BCs third, second or first most important industry (in economic terms).

Far as I know, certainly in DC, it wasn't the "Womens March" that had all the violence etc. That I don't condone either. All the "Womens marches" around the country here were supposed to be tomorrow, but then again, I'm only a participant, so don't really know the organizational aspects.

My only hesitation about going myself was that I specifically don't want to be in anywhere that becomes violent/threatening, that's NOT the point <sigh>

Ceiling.......almost done....needs another coat though......apparently 2 isn't enough!

Back seems ok, a couple of good old G&Ts helped, along with the gabapenrin, so off to the land of nod to dream of riding the bike, biker chicks and the layout and all the things that need repairing since the granspdson discovered it!

Good luck to America, good luck to Trump, the worlds a continuously changing place so who knows.......

After all, if an ex movie star can do it.....

• Like 5

A very long day but more than worth it. Passed the audit with flying colours which means that there is only one more at the end of the month to gain another significant industry accreditation. What a difference to the rest of the week.

Don - Congratulations

My working week continues tomorrow. The joys of management.

Night all

• Like 6