The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

If only Wadebridge wasnt so far from home I would make the trek but I suspect that we wont be going any further than Reading on Saturday.

last time I was in Wadebridge I had walked from Padstow along the closed line to Boscarne Jucntion It was in the mid 80's IIRC and they had just started redveloping the area around the station building.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I do hope they mentioned there is no record in his lifetime of being Called anything but Robert!.

It amuses me the Wiki says he was brought up in poverty and then talks about his mothers servant, and him being sent to tutors for education..

I'll be enjoying the 3rd annual Snowflake sailing clubs very successful Burns night on 28th Jan, get bookings in early or you wont get a place!! We have member of Horning sailing club, who does the piping for us and another Scots sailor from Wroxham club who does all the traditional speeches.

All the proper food is served and there is a bottle of Whisky of every table of 8. I of course will be wearing the full formal kilt get up as will several others, there will be one or two In trews as well, Every one will wear some tartan.

The Haggis will come from Norfolk as it's very well regarded and exported to Scotland!!! https://stv.tv/news/north/38462-jura-imports-haggis-from-norfolk/

After the dinner there is a quiz on Scotland and Burns, and the winner of each question gets a tot of whisky to be drunk immediately!!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

AAARRRGGGHHH

Just two days away and the drivel erudite echanges have run up to seven plus pages, and next to no time to catch up. 

So hopefully I've not missed anything vital or exciting.  Meantime, generic greetings are the best I can do.

Not a lot more to report, so I'll probably be back later as I need to go out to pick up my insulin, and of course, that also means "are you passing to Co-op, well can you get...".

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

I do hope they mentioned there is no record in his lifetime of being Called anything but Robert!.

It amuses me the Wiki says he was brought up in poverty and then talks about his mothers servant, and him being sent to tutors for education..

Sounds like someone's been meddling.

BIN day - dutifully place at street-side. Additionally a recliner that has seen better days. Mrs decided it had to leave the premises, we tried several (about FIVE) places to donate it to, it's in good enough condition certainly for someone in need of a comfy chair (cue ALL the Monty Python jokes...), but sadly couldn't fine any group interested in it, so we are paying $20 for the BIN company to take it to the land-fill. Hate doing that <sigh>

Yesterday Whitney was relieved of her "cone of shame" and so far appears to be doing OK without it, i.e. NOT favouring licking the stiches on her tummy - they're pretty much healed now.

Around noon I'll take Jemma to the airport as she's going to visit some friends for a few days up where she went to uni, back Sunday evening.

After that, I'm HOPING to get into the optician, two years since I've been, and I'm noticing a slight deterioration of focus close up - 6 inches or less - when detailing stuff. Need to fix that!

Woken at 4:30AM today - the departure from MSP of an Antonov 124 http://flightaware.com/photos/view/2341-70a9f2a7f42ccbd3e7e72967bfa04f85a9a1e643/aircrafttype/A124/sort/votes/page/1 apparently heading to Cold Bay, Alaska, so no doubt heavy - woke the house as we estimated it departed from one runway and made a circling departure to minimize the noise issues, of course that meant it crossed us lower than it usually would, and Jemma expected it was landing in the back garden! :jester:  :jester:

Very unseasonably mild here too (as Pete mentioned from NJ) with the low hovering around zero and high expected around 5, sunny all day, that'll reduce the snow pack further.

Make BIN day count :)

Another mild day here, in contrast to the southern half of the country which makes a change. A lot of Scots say that "we'll pay for it later", so we'll see. Can always get a very cold week in February or March, even though meteorological spring starts 1 March, just 6 weeks away.

Hope your day went well, Andyram. You never know, a four-day week could be just what you need for a while to help your batteries recharge. And if this doesn't work out there's bound to be something else along soon.

Sounds like you had fun at your early Burns' Night, Ian. Hope it included some good malts!

Have a good night

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 18

Lovely day here today, cold but no complaints.

Parcel Farce delivered the parcel and all credit to the senders, attached to the outside of the parcel in a clear plastic pouch was a small map showing our bungalow. No mistakes to be made by the deliverer.

Just saw a meteorite. 1st one I have seen for years. The direction looked as though Torquay could be history. It looked about 25° ascent and low down.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening, less meh today.  Mad day at work, John takes Thursdays off and the other manager called in sick, so muggins had to do all three roles.  A bit frazzled TBH now.

All under control though - just - a late rush of orders caused a bit of a blur!

Off tomorrow, bike club am then garage pm, packing up my US loco fleet for the big scrapping of the layout, followed by not being able to fit enough Southern region 3rd rail in on the new one.  Why is it we always want more than we have space for?  Some people like little layouts - I want 12 coach trains and speed. And shunting  And industry.  And a parcels depot. I might get 5 coach trains and a bit of a parcels depot.

Just saw a meteorite. 1st one I have seen for years. The direction looked as though Torquay could be history. It looked about 25° ascent and low down.

To be ultra picky, it's only if they land that they become meteorites - when they're flying they're meteors

The -ite suffix is a Greek derivative meaning rock or stone. 

• RMweb Gold

I can run trains with 50 wagons and my station can just about hold an 8 coach train and loco. However not a lot of shunting operational type interest. However it was built to watch trains go by. Also it is in the garage. That isn't really a problem due to the local climate not being severe enough to really chill a semi integral garage structure. However I haven't felt well enough for a while to be crawling around in the garage. I have just ordered the Cameo Layouts book by Iain Rice so perhaps something that can live on the dining table!

• RMweb Gold

I made that mistake until I took an Earth Sci degree.

When we were sorting out Mum's possessions after she died we found the note Dad had written about her pay ( he was a union shop steward at the Rover factory) also asking her if she would like to go to the cinema or for a drink after work. It was written on the back of a Meteorite engine test card! I think in that case a Meteorite was a smaller Meteor!

• Like 15

Another wasted day at the clients site but at least we're getting paid for it and I'm not back there until Monday. A good journey to the midlands and the hotel is reasonable.

An evening of preparation for the audit tomorrow is in store so no chance to relax yet.

Andy - I hope that the visit went well and provides a new opportunity

Most meteors are around the size of a grain of sand, rarely more then 2mm across. Those larger lumps that come to ground started off quite a lot larger and resist the frictional heating of the air enough to come to the surface. Then they're meteorites.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 2