The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Well actually the page has changed so we are in

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I was very sorry to miss out on the Kolhapur page.

While recognising the right of people to spend their own money in any legal way they wish, I think other Jubilees were more worthy of preservation than 45596. It wasn't representative of more than a few other members of the class (none of which was still in the same condition by the time 45596 was preserved), plus it's just ugly with that lump on top of the smokebox.

And, while I'm at it, I might as well say that I would have preferred 45562 to have been preserved instead of 45593 - both were available, but 45593 was judged to be in better condition. No logical reason, I'd just seen 45562 in action more often, including on what I read was the last Leeds-Glasgow scheduled for steam haulage throughout.

Other opinions and preferences are equally valid.

• Like 2

Good morning one and all

Flying visit today as I'm off to Whittlesey for the Straw Bear festival with lots of dancing in the streets which I love to watch.  There will be some top dance teams such as Mortimers Morris, Customs and Exiles, Chiltern Hundreds, Red Leicester and Gog Magog Molly.  Where did I put my balaclava?

Usual greetings

Chris

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most , evening to others.

Dom a 30mm Rarden would be the ideal tram v car weapon of choice...

Off to see some modelling colleagues today. Just hope the other road users steer clear of my car!

Noticed the the BBC concentrated on potential floods in the south..a little mention of the fact that Whitby and Scarborough had already had floods due to the tide/weather...time the North declared UDI...

Have a good day

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A little frosty here and it should be a dry, sunny but cold day.

Tea was taken to The Boss at 7.00 who said it's "too early to get up on a Saturday" and then did. She's probably thought of something that "needs doing."  Probably something that "we" need to do." Something in fact that I will need to do!.

I do have one or two things to do that probably don't fall within her parameters of "need."  :nono:  This of course means that I will end up in deep doo doo!

I don't care, playing with trains and watching rugby are far more important.

This evening we're off to Nicki's for a meal and a drink to celebrate SiL Steve's birthday. Believe it or not this will be my first (alcoholic) drink of the week because of my diet.  I've been counting calories and have been below my allowance every day so I've banked some for tonight. 

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 9

Morning all. A frosty start to the day which I am going to venture into.

Not a lot planned for the day.

Baz - Even with myself living in the south, I find it ridiculous that there was no mention of the potential floods further north.

Dom - I have to agree with Baz about the 30mm Rarden.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 16

While recognising the right of people to spend their own money in any legal way they wish, I think other Jubilees were more worthy of preservation than 45596. It wasn't representative of more than a few other members of the class (none of which was still in the same condition by the time 45596 was preserved), plus it's just ugly with that lump on top of the smokebox.

And, while I'm at it, I might as well say that I would have preferred 45562 to have been preserved instead of 45593 - both were available, but 45593 was judged to be in better condition. No logical reason, I'd just seen 45562 in action more often, including on what I read was the last Leeds-Glasgow scheduled for steam haulage throughout.

Morning. As someone who never lived through the steam age I am appreciative of those locos that have been preserved. The Jubilees are my favourite after "Leander" left a lasting impression on me during a Santa Special visit to Butterley in 1985. I have, as mentioned, had a couple of footplate rides on Kolhapur so that has become a special loco to me. I have also ridden behind Bahamas and, whilst it is my least favourite for the same aesthetic reason you mentioned, I think it is good to have an example of an alternatively looking Jub.

I understand people, who saw steam at work, will has their favourites that they wished had survived. That is totally fair and should be respected.

My regrets are that there is no example surviving with the Fowler tender and that the current operational pair are spoilt by their rotten liveries. Leander now can be mistaken for a Black 5 - LMS red for this loco please and, my still to cop, Galetea in that toy town BR red. Of course the owners put the money in and can paint their locos whatever colour they choose.

• Like 15

Mist early but all gone now and a nice bright sunny day in sunny Teignmouth.

We walked to and around town yesterday. The wifes first trip out since the knee op. Probably about a km altogether. She seemed to manage it quite well and no additional pain during or afterwards. She can now walk indoors without crutches and sometimes carrying things.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A quick look in as I'm off to the Brentwood toy-fair shortly. Had another good nights sleep despite the aches and pains, this might be down to the cocodamol I've taken before going to bed. I am trying to avoid filling my body with chemicals so thats the only time I take them. Weather looks like its going to be fine today if a bit cold. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have always been under the impression that a Jubilee was merely a three cylindered Hall, tarted up to look something other than Great Western.

Cracks ice on muddy hollow (forward) and submerges.

Edited to put the Great in Western!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7

Found a very large lady's handbag.

(The bag was large - not sure about the lady).

At the police station they unpacked it.

Full of rubbish including wrappings from feminine essentials.

... and £70+ in loose notes and change scattered throughout.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bit of a frostyish start but a dry day is promised - which is what is needed for replenishing the ready use log pile (again!!!).

Strange things 5XPs ('Jubilees' to many folk) - never really lived up to their promise and took a long time to get right although they seem to have been competent enough eventually although in my view definitely not the best of Mr Stanier's efforts in 3 cylinder design and rebuilding on the 'ell of a mess.

Now then HH - will you be heading for Pontcanna Fields next Saturday perchance?

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Northern UDI?

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1484391001950.jpg

The news broadcast I saw last last night had lots of footage from Whitby and Scarborough. Interviews with residents etc. Film of big waves and water running past ice cream stands and chip shops. Then off to Jaywick to film a few pensioners in a community centre. Jaywick isn't exactly the Essex Riviera so doesn't make for exciting news. Edited by Tony_S

I think a little efficiency or effectiveness is needed to enable GP Surgeries to cope.  Increasing hours will not improve the service.

Certainly I do not wish to criticise our GP Surgery but in the 33 years we have been here it has gone from two doctors and two staff to three doctors, a nurse practitioner and twenty three staff including many receptionists some educated in manners and speech, and some most definitely not !

One receptionist now shouts 'appointment ?' at visitors and even the large one, who cannot walk very well, has only graduated to 'Hi ya' as a greeting.  I now print off the web page with my prescription order and present it to her; as previously reported, if she forgets my name on the short walk to the shelves, she can always look at the paper. Likewise the timescale for prescription issue obviously varies considerably; however having recently received the same prescription for two items twice in three days with a cheery 'Oh we've caught up' tells me that the problem is not opening hours.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

We both had a bit of a lie in this morning, so we must have needed it. We have rain forecast for today, but at the moment the sun is out, so I'm off down to the workshop to do a bit of wood cutting, after that I shall make a start on building all the support beams for my base boards. I may be some time.

• Like 16

The news broadcast I saw last last night had lots of footage from Whitby and Scarborough. Interviews with residents etc. Film of big waves and water running past ice cream stands and chip shops. Then off to Jaywick to film a few pensioners in a community centre. Jaywick isn't exactly the Essex Riviera so doesn't make for exciting news.

Jaywick is probably the closest thing we've got to a Brazilian favela