The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

I'll have to backread later, as I've had a hellish morning so far.  Our thoughts of a lie in were rudely dashed this morning - first off, Lily wanted to go out at about 5.30 am, and when I went out with her, it was quite blustery, and also starting to sleet.  So back to bed, and about half an hour later there was a tremendous gust of wind, followed by a bang from the front dormer roof, and a window blew open (at least it wasn't like Jamie's and blew out as well - commiserations there BTW).  So we thought no more of it, as the dormer roof is metal clad, and does bang in some wind directions.  About half an hour later, there was an ominous dripping noise, and there was water dripping from the light fitting in the office room.  A quick grab of a towel and a bucket, and started to catch the water.  Tried my builder's mobile no, and thanks be, he was at home and not working away, and he arrived within the hour, and before I could get hold of my insurance company.  He just wanted to check that all the tiles and chimney pot were still in situ, and to get a measure of the job - he had another job to do first, and should be back by lunch time.  Insurance company checked and they have a record of strong gusts of wind around that time, so have said this appears to be storm damage - good.

Back later with an update and after I've read everybody's posts from yesterday.

I always slip our Binmen $20.00 at Christmas and it covers a multitude of sins for the year...  Although I must say that my supplied bin is nearly as tall as me and since they collect twice a week filling it is difficult, except on 4th July week when they only collect once per week. Of course if my daughter is home I can fill it fairly well.

Simiiarly I always give the same to the Mailman - it’s worth it I find.

Morning all,

However that laugh this week is on said cockwombles as the binmen played a lovely straight hand yesterday by duly emptying the bins but leaving any plastic sacks of rubbish; I expect they'd had a guts full of 'extras' a fortnight ago with the previous rubbish collection and last week with all the extra stuff left out for the recycling collection.  They don't have to take extra bags but generally they are fairly helpful so I'm fairly sure they'd just got fed up with being dumped upon.

Best, Pete.

• Like 17

A belated (I have been out sawing up old fence posts for the fire) hello from a cold but bright Somerset.

No snow here, but the sky went very grey just to the east an hour ago, as a snow shower passed us by.

Fri 13th means I have an excuse to stay inside and scan some slides of Peaks and Buckets.

I am so fair of skin and hair, that although I started shaving about 45 years ago, it is rarely more than once a week; it just doesn't show up enough.

• Like 14

I've never grown a beard. Apart from a couple of times in hospital I've never gone a day (and then only 1) without shaving. To me it is unthinkable, I just don't feel fully fresh and awake until I've had a good close shave. I also have another one if we're going out anywhere special in the evening. 

Good job we’ve moved on from “cutthroat” razors then.

Best, Pete.

....not sure about whether cyclists should dismount before using a Pegasus crossing though, as riders generally stay in the saddle..

There is a Pegasus crossing on the A405 (Bricket Wood interchange) which I used to ride across occasionally just to get the lights to change from "red horse" to "green horse" (it has never seen much use by riders, in truth) but my horse at the time hadn't been taught to touch the low-level button with his nose, so I triggered the crossing using the high-level push button.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Snowing quite heavily at the moment but the forecast is for it to clear later. It doesn't appear to be settling but its hard to tell as the patio is of brick paviors that tend to be slightly warmer than surrounding surfaces. I was surprised late last night when I put the binbags out that the snow had changed to rain but the rain had frozen by this morning, nice. Managed a fair nights sleep last night despite the sore ankle, the soreness almost disappeard after changing the dressing. I'm trying out a hydrocolloid dressing that seems to have the greatest benefits. Its applied like a normal sticking plaster but instead of the antiseptic pad it has what amounts to an artificial skin.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Unless it is a Toucan crossing.

I'm not sure about whether cyclists should dismount before using a Pegasus crossing though, as riders generally stay in the saddle..

I did say zebra crossing which are those protected By Hoare-Belisha Beacons. Traffic light controlled crossings are a completely different ball game.

Zebra crossings you are supposed to place one foot on the crossing to indicate that you wish to cross and then the traffic should stop before you cross. The others you just press the button, wait for the little green man (or Horse) and then cross.

They've just closed Norwich airport due to snow...

Ohh the flood warning (lowest level) now surrounds the area I live, we now could be an Island again, as we were in Roman times or the 1953 floods...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've had a beard on and off, since I was about 17, some 43 years now. I've occasionally shaved it off, but usually it's back within a week, as I can't be bothered shaving first thing in the morning.

• Like 12

I've had a beard on and off, since I was about 17, some 43 years now. I've occasionally shaved it off, but usually it's back within a week, as I can't be bothered shaving first thing in the morning.

I can't countenance any form of facial hair. Fortunately I've never had that much to start with (due in part to my ethnic origins), so I don't really need a razor. I just get the tweezers out and extract every single filament - it results in a much cleaner appearance and I don't get the stubble / shadow effect.

I discovered a while ago that the individual hairs that I extracted are bit like icebergs: more of their overall length is below the surface of the facial skin than above it. They're not all of the same cross-section either. Some are tubular, whilst others are rectangular. Strange yet weirdly fascinating.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Just been talking to son Steve on phone and he's just gone flying on the path outside his flat so is now walking in the road on the way to the station. (he phoned to warn me as I'm going there to do a little job for him)

Bob.

Oh Dear I wonder what he's going to do to himself.  :O

Morning all. Late on parade as I couldn't be bothered to set the alarm. Obviously I needed the sleep and consequently feel quite a bit better for it.

We've had more snow here this morning but it doesn't appear to be settling.

Thinking about those in the areas of possible flooding and hoping that it doesn't happen.

A day of taking it easy with the possibility of some modelling taking place.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 17

Unless you get behind one. They all seem to have two-stroke engines and stink something 'orrible. Every time one passes me on a ski slope it makes me want to puke.

Yes, but if you're riding one, who cares?  :jester:  ...and anyway your helmet will do a reasonable job of filtering out the fumes.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land.

A bit of snow fell yesterday at about 1000ft on the mountain behind us and all gone before sunset.  Can't speak for the bigger mountains though!  More rain and snow forecast overnight but I didn't notice!  Hailstones lying out there earlier this morning.  Gone now.

Kitchen/dining room swap progressing but, as more things are moved from one end to the other, I have to stop and think where they are when I need them!  Hoping to start a bit of modelling next week though.  Fingers crossed.

Hope it's not too bad where you are.  Take care and stay safe.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all; it's sunny here in the South with a cold breeze. We had some sleet early evening yesterday but it didn't last and was followed by clear skies and a bit of a frost, not enough to freeze the cat's rainwater bowl. The forecast is mainly clear and windy so I've got a load in the wash in the hope it will actually dry.

The last few weeks have been a bit stressful as Mrs mole's changeover from a DLA lifetime award to PIP failed to get the enhanced mobility component so she's had to give up her Motability car. As I don't drive (be grateful*) she's been almost totally dependent on the cars since 2004, and before that the DLA money covered running costs on a car her late father bought her. She's not taking it well and having trouble dealing with it. We are separated but she lives in a ground floor flat about 200m away and comes here every day to see Martyn and me and access her stuff/clothes, most of which live here. Without the car that distance is difficult for her. She was offered a scooter but has nowhere to keep it at the flats. She's appealing the decision and we have to prepare for a tribunal. Anyway we took the car back yesterday. The guy at the dealership said that a lot of their clients previously on DLA are winning at their tribunals so he hopes to see her back.

For a last run out we went to the Hambledon Folk Club to see an up and coming young trio, Granny's Attic, who were very good. Missed a turn on the country lanes coming back, took a long way round into Fareham to get to the M27, found it closed for roadworks, went back through Fareham and out on the A27 to rejoin the M27 further west. All of which succeeded in using up the diesel so the car was returned with about a spoonful left.

This and various other issues mean my mojo has well and truly fled; the nearest I got to modelling was clearing the desk (didn't last) and sussing out which stalled works in progress I could face restarting. Answer, none. My spending mojo is alive and well though, I recently picked up several new GWR and SR coaches with slightly damaged boxes for half price, two WW2 era buses and a Dodo, but I haven't even taken them up to the loft yet.

Commiserations to those suffering recent losses (including Bronte) and belated good wishes for recent birthdays.

*I never got on with driving and lost my nerve after an accident. Nowadays I get occasional micro sleeps so couldn't drive anyway. They mostly come when sitting down, as in driving, but I occasionally got them on a pushbike, fortunately with no disastrous results due to being on straight and largely empty roads at the time. I think a sort of subconscious boredom took over for a few seconds. Scary though. 

Having a beard cost me a job in 1965. I had my appendix removed and in the 6 weeks I was on sick leave, I grew a beard. Upon my return to work, my employer made life very awkward and after a couple weeks, I had had enough and walked out. It seems he didn't like beards, full stop.  At the labour exchange I was told I could not receive any benefit because of my departure but I was saved when my ex employer's name was mentioned and the fact I had been there for 9 months. "Must people we send him don't manage 9 days", was the comment and I received my benefits but I had to find my own job, which I did!

post-276-0-01731500-1484308454.jpg

I only shaved it off once, so as my wife and I could go to a fancy dress party as each other. She got a proper theatrical glued on beard, organised by our two daughters. Photographs of her are being held under the 30 year restriction.  However, I have one of myself.

post-276-0-44044600-1484309070_thumb.jpg

I did modify the facial hair but finally settled on the classic "Van Dyke". 

post-276-0-33220300-1484309284.jpg

I have hid behind this beard for some 45 years now.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I don't but I have thought about getting one.  Can't see what the problem is really.  :whistle:

My grandfather slashed his throat with a razor and threw himself downstairs. Apparently the death certificate had some tactful cause of death recorded. Granddad's wife (second , not my Dad's mother) thought my Dad would like the razor as a memento!

• RMweb Gold

Torbay. Bright, sunny, rather cold and worse in the wind. It's January!

Not long after my Eurostar left Paris, Sherry was advised that her op will now be on Feb 1st. So my visit makes rather less sense, as I shall need to be home again for a few days before coming back on 31st Jan to don my nurse's uniform. I will now return on about the 23rd, I think.

I had been (electric) shaving since about 1962, but first grew a beard in 1968. In them thar days I worked early and late shifts in the Control at Redhill. On early turn, cycling the 7 miles was a necessary evil for the 07.00 start, and with the onset of colder weather a beard helped! It has gone missing once or twice, principally in 1973-4, when a smarter appearance helped me onto a prestigious training scheme. But Deb, having seen pics of my bearded self, asked me to grow it again. I think it came off again for a few months in the mid-70s, but has been a fixture for most of the last 40 years. Sherry likes beards, Alison hates them, finds it phyically unpleasant if I kiss her cheek - hardly a 'fast' thing to do to a lady in France!

Hope your weather keeps at bay.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

POETS turned out to be a day of four halves.

The morning dawned warm but with the sky leaking quite persistently.  By lunchtime that had abated in favour of brief windows of blue in the above.  Upon arrival at the Palace that in turn had given way to heavier rain and intensely humid, near-Tropical, conditions.  Around 5pm one ominously black band of cloud low enough to obscure the tops of taller buildings blew in and we feared the Mother of all Storms might be unleashed.  Instead we received four hail stones before the air suddenly freshened with humidity gone and the temperature changed from 28C to 16C in the space of five minutes.  The cool fresh wind made it feel quite wintry but took the rain with it and by the time I had stepped off the train home the sky was clear blue though the evening decidedly cool for mid summer.

I fail to see the attraction in scraping the outer layers of skin from my face daily in order to present clean-shaven.  I have had the "full" beard and moosh-mash since shortly after graduating from university in 1979 though wore "chops" or "sideburns" during my student years along with the then de rigeur lengthy hair.  I did have a brief clean-shaven interlude for a couple of years once back in Cornwall but the last day on which I had a full shave was our wedding day 21 years ago and I have sported "marriage fungus" ever since.  I'm told to shave now would take a few years off my appearance; I am also told by SWMBO that I am not to do it.   As I prefer marriage to a life of vanity and age-pretence the only shaving here is the daily trim of the edges in order to maintain the required "professional appearance" at the Palace.

We camped at Jaywick, in one of the vast caravan sites, as a child and when we still had family holidays.  The paternal grandparents had retired to a bungalow near the Three Jays pub (well away from the sea) and Aunt and Uncle later joined them nearby in Great Clacton.  50 years ago I thought the place squalid, derelict and in need of a darned good levelling-and-starting-again.  Aside from the distress flooding causes it might actually force some improvements there in what has become a thoroughly unpleasant annexe to an otherwise quite reasonable town.  The only good thing about those holidays was the occasional appearance of an open-top Bristol KSW bus on the Jaywick Sands run.  And the journey home.  It would be safe to say there was never much any warmth nor affection shown on that side of the family.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 14