The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Accident tonight on the belisha beacon controlled crossing outside Waitrose in Teignmouth. Cars coming up the hill seem to think it is open house to travel uphill like they are on some hill climb endurance race. The elderly chap was airlifted to hospital.

I have been narrowly missed several times on this crossing, twice with both feet on it. One day someone will get my heavy bag of shopping through their windscreen.

Police officer told me there is nothing they can do.

• RMweb Premium

Accident tonight on the belisha beacon controlled crossing outside Waitrose in Teignmouth. Cars coming up the hill seem to think it is open house to travel uphill like they are on some hill climb endurance race. The elderly chap was airlifted to hospital.

I have been narrowly missed several times on this crossing, twice with both feet on it. One day someone will get my heavy bag of shopping through their windscreen.

Very simple send a probationer to stand just beyond the crossing and to stop and report any motorist who doesn't give precedence to pedestrians, at least that's what I and my colleagues were made to do.  As the offenders were usually allegedly friends of the chief or rather irate at being caught it was great practice in learning to talk to people under stress.  However I doubt whether a Sgt would be allowed to tell a probationer to go out and do such things these days.  The law hasn't changed though.  

Jamie

• Like 11

Evening all. 

Yesterday was weird, and I will return to it after the weekend.  Meanwhile there is white stuff in South East London but I returned from getting shorn before it started.  Busy preparing for a weekend in Stevenage at the CMRA exhibition; I will be badged so do speak to me.

Must go .....  Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Belisha/zebra crossings are now the work of the devil IMO. Especially those with the p0xy little flashing lights that are marginally brighter than a couple of matchsticks. There's one near me and I simply won't attempt to cross until I know the cars are stopped or at least very obviously slowing down. Visibility of the crossing isn't helped by parked cars that get as close as they can to the zig-zag markings without actually parking by them. Not that some people in a well known large town near me seem to understand what they mean anyway and "park" wherever they want................

They've recently installed a zebra crossing in Clitheroe  - it still has the faint yellow flashing lights, even though I've seen many upgraded to a large round LED cluster that is a lot more visible.

Having said that, there are some pedestrians that simply step out in the vicinity of a zebra - usually across the zig-zags - hoping that traffic will stop. Worst ones are those that cross the road near a pedestrian crossing, not realising that traffic is starting to move.

[rant over]

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

It is not just in Bristol then... where the slightest uphill gradient seems to be seen as an invitation to put the foot to the floor and display power seemingly unknown to the average pleb driver.

Strange behaviour; but then I originate from The Fens where a 'hill' is defined as the one place which is just above sea level.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening to most!

Walked down to the opticians earlier today through the snow blizzards and freezing breeze.. no snow here yet either!

My gentle stroll took in a trip to find out when indoor cricket restarts (Jan 22nd) - first night will have 3 ladies games and 3 mens games, some lunch 0- a ham sandwich from a well know baker which tasted of nothing...and my eye test. Minor change required to one lens required.

On my return home I inspected my eyelids for a while, had tea and then did some modelling.

Stay warm and safe if you are in the UK, stay cool down in Oz and New Zealand.

Baz

• Like 19

Welcome to page Udaipur.

post-13478-0-26015800-1484259551_thumb.jpeg

Been so busy I have not managed to venture on here in the last few days. My best regards to you all I hope you are keeping well.

The week seems to have gone ok thus far with no obvious issues. The boss is away on an exchange visit from tomorrow until the end of next week. I am hoping that might mean I can have a pressure free week. I am not counting my chickens though. The way this academic year has gone something troubling could easily pop up.

Yesterday I did meet the former colleague. It was nice to catch up, but no real progress. She has promised to keep her eyes and ears open for any appropriate vacancies. That is as much as I really hoped for really.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well that's another week almost over, I've now finished all the work that I have been given so far this month, so tomorrow will be spent in the orifice, booking more holidays before an early escape, with the excuse of taking some of my test equipment for its scheduled recalibration.

The weather was very cold today, raining for most part but it did turn to snow as I drove over the hills around Rossendale, but by the time I got to my first site visit in Clitheroe it had turned back to rain and so it remained for the rest of the day. All my work was completed by early afternoon and I was home I time for a cup of tea, once again catching Sheila as she was putting the kettle on.

The evening was then spent relaxing with a glass of beer and watching a bit of recorded TV.

It's time for bed now, goodnight all.

• Like 19

Welcome to page Udaipur.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Been so busy I have not managed to venture on here in the last few days. My best regards to you all I hope you are keeping well.

The week seems to have gone ok thus far with no obvious issues. The boss is away on an exchange visit from tomorrow until the end of next week. I am hoping that might mean I can have a pressure free week. I am not counting my chickens though. The way this academic year has gone something troubling could easily pop up.

Yesterday I did meet the former colleague. It was nice to catch up, but no real progress. She has promised to keep her eyes and ears open for any appropriate vacancies. That is as much as I really hoped for really.

Its time for a coup d'etat Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Woodseaves is in Staffordshire where the road is long and straight, and descends through the village. It was a speeding hotspot that 'nothing could be done' until they installed average speed cameras through the 30 mph restriction.

That seems to have slowed everyone down.

Much better than a single spot check camera.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just why when the police will nick for doing anything but keeping your hands on the steering wheel, is there a Citroen advert showing a beardy Pratt driving around taking pictures with his smart phone?

That shows how much attention I pay to adverts.

i thought the camera was built into the rear view mirror and pointed forward looking through the windscreen.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well getting out the snow shovels worked - and although the stuff fell it didn't last (except in a few odd places) but I bet they won't stop the overnight freezing.

Years with a beard - 42 this year,  Mrs Stationmaster has never seen me without one so even if I wanted to shave it off such action would be prohibited (I'm told)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Just cleared the light dusting of snow from Mrs NB's car. This was on top of warm windows, so had a partial thaw and was beginning to freeze into an icy layer. She's up at 6.30am for work, so I may have earned some brownie points.

Any overnight snowfall should be easily brushed off. Failing that, she also has heated front windows on her car................ :-)

An hour of modelling beckons.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

That shows how much attention I pay to adverts.

i thought the camera was built into the rear view mirror and pointed forward looking through the windscreen.

I had a look at the advert online and it is a built in camera. However its recordings appear to be sharable with other devices like phones but the advert does mention not using phones whole driving.

I'm told that these:

ISMA_snowmobilers_line_3.jpg

are much more fun.

Unless you get behind one. They all seem to have two-stroke engines and stink something 'orrible. Every time one passes me on a ski slope it makes me want to puke.

I had a look at the advert online and it is a built in camera. However its recordings appear to be sharable with other devices like phones but the advert does mention not using phones whole driving.

Presenters look away from the road frequently when driving and talking to camera. The worst one was thst ex news reader who presented the police chase series.