The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning again from a rather windy village. However when I opened the curtains I discovered that a casement window from my modelling room had blown open, torn itself off it's frame and smashed down onto the drive, which fortunately was empty.  The odd thing is that I was downstairs eating my breakfast and browsing RMWeb and never heard the window fall only about 15 ' away from where I was sitting.

Regards to all.

Jamie

RMWeb has that effect on all of us, Jamie.

Sunshine and dry roads in Cornwall at the mo, so it's been leathers on and bike out for a bit of a blast to clear the cobwebs.

Getting a little bit blowy now tho.......so the bike has been washed and buffed and is stood outside gleaming in the sun.

Now to go through more stock......to see how many more kits have suffered with plastic meltdown.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Matthew's secondary school wasn't in any way prescriptive about eating food but the "food technology" teacher was. One homework he was supposed to list the ingredients on some sort of packet meal/ ready meal from home. He couldn't find any so listed the ingredients for Robbie's dog food. Teacher "not amused". Once when they were taste testing burgers one girl got upset as the teacher insisted she taste the burger even though she was a vegetarian "you are not eating it, just tasting it". Matthew rescues her by hiding the sample on the floor where it is probably deterring mice to this very day.

Happy Birthday LE

Not often I can say this, especially in winter given I'm usually in the US equivalent of the North Pole, but as I'm on Long Island, apparently this morning it's the SAME weather here as both GDB and Tony have.

Sharp change from yesterday given it's now +7 and had rained moderately before I left the hotel. Of course, +7 still means everyone had winter coats on!   :jester: Why??

Little to report from yesterday, however weather conditions stalled Jemmas' first day of a 4-day trip. Over two hours late leaving Minneapolis for Toronto, delayed back out of Toronto and therefore finally taking a delayed flight to Chicago/Midway to end her day. Apparently from Minneapolis across the upper mid-west yesterday was a mess of snow and high wind.

Here ends a totally useless, to most everyone, weather report :O

+7 partly sunny driving to the dungeon, with high supposedly creeping to maybe 8.

Have a good HUMP day.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

If you live in Norfolk and Suffolk on the coast or you live on the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads or on any of the rivers in Suffolk. You are now on Flood alert.

Southwold Marshes and Some areas around Felixtowe or up river from there, you are on "flood warning"... Expect Flooding.

Thats the official line.

With the storm coming down the North Sea on Friday I'm expecting more alerts / warnings  to be issued by then.

There are also "flood alerts" for all low lying coastal areas of Yorkshire as well, with a small area under the Humber Bridge on "Flood warning" ... Expect flooding

Edited by TheQ

Morning (just) from Estuary-Land. Didn't sleep to well last night hence the late start. The eczema on my ankle was really sore and sensitive and I eventually had to put a dressing on it to stop it rubbing on the sheets. I'm late this morning as I went back to bed after checking out the weather report. Spam fritters, I love them but they are probably the most unhealthiest food item you could eat.

Or if you are a cannibal Kate and Sidney. :jester:

Thanks Bob for the information on the diet and belated many happy returns to LE.

PhilJ W - as an occasional sufferer, after a major flare-up I was given Fucibet Cream - haven't had a repeat performance in over two years - you just rub the tiniest bit on the affected area - may just help

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, the internet link to the model railway auction up North seems to have stalled....

Oh no it hasn't - currently on Lot 378.  

Were you trying to watch during a break (or had the bidding got in a tangle - there was a  pause earlier where I reckon someone probably bid on the hammer but obviously decided to be acceptable as the lot went in the room and beat the internet bidder?)

How many Bavarian pacifics can one man need?

If they are S3/6s, then there are quite a few variations. The best of the lot was the reboilered Br 18.6, but all S3/6s had been withdrawn by 1965/66. Of the preserved survivors, none except 18.478 has ever run and I get the feeling that it's not economically viable to revive the others.

• RMweb Premium

I have had a frustrating time this afternoon. I fitted a sound chip to a loco before christmas.. all was OK. The user has mangled all of the CVs and I understand that the person who programmed it is very lazy (lokprogrammers are wonderful things!) CVs reprogrammed via the SPROG (great bit of kit)!

However, Navaid voices turned off... car taken for quick trip to test out various bits of kit... seems fine!

Mussels for tea as herself has decreed we need some shellfish... no whelks are available!

Baz

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

My trip to Brentwood should have resulted in a quiet read in the cat park at the station but the car park now seems to be a bus park for rail replacement buses for the TfL services to Shenfield. So I drove off to the town centre, parked and had a wander round until Aditi was ready. I get to be designated driver again this evening. Aditi has a French Circle meeting and needs to supply their IT resources and do the money collection as the hon treasurer is unwell. I could sit in a pub round the corner in Leigh but will probably come home and return a couple of hours later.

It did get up to 11C here at lunchtime but it felt colder than it was during the last few days when the temperature was lower. I can't imagine we will have weather conditions bad enough down here to call off our proposed visit to Enfield tomorrow. In fact it is more likely to be cancelled if MiL informs us that she has planned to be out.

Tony

• Like 2

Like the cherry tree idea, too, Ian. Have a good journey.

Windy night here, too - Jamie hope you're able to repair the damaged window soon. See a truck was blown over on the Forth road bridge and the driver charged with dangerous driving - there will have been signs saying no high-sided vehicles - but it will still have been a scary moment for the driver. Usually curtain-siders go over in the wind because the curtains act like a sail, and no exception in this case.

From primary school I recall rissoles and loved them. Never had anything like them since. There must have been some onion in them. They weren't the same as burgers, though. Anyone else ever have those?

Travelling to London tmrw to meet some ex-skool pals for lunch, then Gabe and I travelling down to Southampton to be with Bil + wife. Flying home Sunday from Southampton - can't face the Sunday travel rail slowdown/bus replacement for 500 miles! So will be absent from here until then.

Meantime, happy birthday LE, and hope that your weekends go well.

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 14

Brrrrrr!.......a cold day to be stuck up in the air.......or in a house without power!

Is this work related to the catastrophic earth/neutral fault from a year or so back?

Sorry - couldn't reply sooner as the power was off and I went out to lunch.

Storage heaters coped.

Not directly related, Debs.

We now have 'modern' wiring arrangements throughout the village so the ancient arrangements could well have been at fault before.

Got off lightly really.

Only extra expense has been a very impressive LED torch (SWMBO dropped the last halogen version and cracked the top of the dishwasher)

and a new gas camping stove which I am quite happy to leave, unused, in the box.

Certainly wasn't the weather to climb big sticks today.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Like the cherry tree idea, too, Ian. Have a good journey.

Windy night here, too - Jamie hope you're able to repair the damaged window soon. See a truck was blown over on the Forth road bridge and the driver charged with dangerous driving - there will have been signs saying no high-sided vehicles - but it will still have been a scary moment for the driver. Usually curtain-siders that go over in the wind because the curtains act like a sail, and no exception in this case.

From primary school I recall rissoles and loved them. Never had anything like them since. There must have been some onion in them. They weren't the same as burgers, though. Anyone else ever have those?

Travelling to London tmrw to meet some ex-skool pals for lunch, then Gabe and I travelling down to Southampton to be with Bil + wife. Flying home Sunday from Southampton - can't face the Sunday travel rail slowdown/bus replacement for 500 miles! So will be absent from here until then.

Meantime, happy birthday LE, and hope that your weekends go well.

Mal

Mal,

M&S do some things called Crisp Bakes - in various flavours - which are not unlike rissoles although it depends on which ones you buy.  Might be worth a look to see if they're available in any branches you happen to have up there.

Some of the best rissoles I have ever had were in the NS staff canteen in the new (1990s) signalbox building at Amsterdam CS - I'm not at all sure what was in them although one seemed to be mainly potato but they were all rather yummy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon form a slightly chiller London. Wind picking up around the Shard as I approached LBG station. The last train out of here to East Croydon that makes a connection is on time so far. There is one more service just before 5pm to Brighton that is a Southern operated one is supposedly running. Fingers crossed for he connecting train home runnng.

Off to mums tonight if all goes to plan. Will be the first time that we have seen her this year. Tomorrow possibly not a god day if the weather does take a turn for the worst.

Hopefully a better nights sleep tonight as only managed 3.5 hours last night.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

All posts read and rated, and happy birthday LE - pleased to learn that Ian has had a result in having Bronte taken away - one less worry,  now you can get on to the UK to do some family support.

Generic greetings to everybody else.

Very cold and very wet here today, and I've got the stove going good style - much to Lily's delight as she has had two out of four walks which were far from warm.  I guess that the wind chill factor is probably about 6o down on the air temperature.

Not really a lot more to report, so back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 2