The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

You jest, of course, unlike the catwalk model who commented (apparently quite seriously) some years ago that a spell in a Nazi concentration camp might have its benefits.

By the way, my RNLI pocket diary's metric conversion table tells me that 1 kg equals 2.2046 lb. Best not to mix metric and avoirdupois, I suppose. 

Edit: corrected punctuation. 1 kg does not equal one short ton.

OOPS! Well spotted, that should have read five kilos.

• RMweb Gold

OOPS! Well spotted, that should have read five kilos.

I weighed Matthew's cases with my luggage scales this afternoon before we set off to the airport. One read 34.4. My first thought was he will have to repack, then my second thought was I probably couldn't lift 34Kg so easily (especially today, my ribs really hurt now! ) and I finally looked at the display and it said lbs.

Tony

• Like 1

Good evening all!

Thanks to Southern Failways for allowing me to exercise my car!

I'm still waiting for a 1963 or 1947 winter, the Milankovitch cycles indicate we are now on a 30year down turn in temperature. It will come some time in the next 20 years.

All those supermarkets with just in Time delivery, will run out of food, if you can get to one, there will be many struggling to find food and petrol.... then they'll have something to worry about...

I always thought that so-called global warming was cyclic! Didn't know it had a name, too!

Off to see Sister Rheumatology tomorrow; hope I don't cause another scare.

Edited by JohnDMJ

• RMweb Gold

I weighed Matthew's cases with my luggage scales this afternoon before we set off to the airport. One read 34.4. My first thought was he will have to repack, then my second thought was I probably couldn't lift 34Kg so easily (especially today, my ribs really hurt now! ) and I finally looked at the display and it said lbs.

Tony

I happily hump (ooh!) 20 kg bags of feed around, but 25kg takes more doing. 

Sherry likes a rice pudding, which she uses to settle an empty or turbulent tummy. I'm not really a pudding person. 

Regrettably, the horsey corpse is still under wraps on the grass verge, and I will not be on my booked Eurostar tomorrow. Fingers crossed I make Thursday!

• RMweb Gold

In a former life when I was young and fit I could quite happily handle 50kg bags of sand, ballast, cement etc. Would not be silly enough to try it now. Over the years they reduced the size to 40kg and now 25kg. The old coalmen would laugh at that as at one time I'm sure they used to carry 2cwt (approx 100kg for the youngsters)sacks.

There was a tale told at my yard in Epsom of one legendary old timer who carried 3 cwt cement from the yard to the other end of the High St  -( I bag under each arm and I across the shoulders allegedly)

Having seen some of those guys in action loading and unloading lorries by hand back in the Sixties and I can actually believe it.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

In a former life when I was young and fit I could quite happily handle 50kg bags of sand, ballast, cement etc. Would not be silly enough to try it now. Over the years they reduced the size to 40kg and now 25kg. The old coalmen would laugh at that as at one time I'm sure they used to carry 2cwt (approx 100kg for the youngsters)sacks.

There was a tale told at my yard in Epsom of one legendary old timer who carried 3 cwt cement from the yard to the other end of the High St  -( I bag under each arm and I across the shoulders allegedly)

Having seen some of those guys in action loading and unloading lorries by hand back in the Sixties and I can actually believe it.

And how were their backs in later life, I wonder? I've known one or two builders who regretted their own strength as younger men. 

• RMweb Gold

Some of the old boys I knew were as fit as a fiddle with no problems at all while others weren't and suffered greatly.

Oh and in those days no early retirement for the workers, they stayed until 65 (or they dropped)

We did have a yard foreman, Jack - a lovely bloke and a big strong fellow who had a heart attack in the cement shed and died in the ambulance. He was only 49.

Edited by grandadbob

A friend of mine from years ago was an amateur heavyweight boxer.

I've seen him carry two 40kg bags of cement - one in each hand without any visible effort.

I never had any problems with yahoos in the company of Big Jim.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't often snow here, the surrounding relatively warm sea keeping it off - however three years ago this happened....

post-10195-0-56595300-1484080521.jpg

Laugh?  I should say so.  The bobbies left it there whilst they attended to other matters, and when they returned they couldn't find it!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Actually I quite liked semolina, as long as it was piping hot but when it was allowed to get cold yeuk!

Didn't, and still don't, like dessicated coconut and wondered why they put it on top of skool jam tarts so used to scrape it off. Now coconut in curries and stews is just great to eat.

60mph winds expected later tonight - as ever tmrw's the day to put out the lightish paper/plastic/metal recycling bin so will probably be all over the street later - hope not!

Have a good day

Mal

I hope there's no connection with the curries and the 60 mph winds. :jester:

My pet hate with school dinners was Spam Fritters. The work of the devil (or some wartime commitee).

However I did like their mash potatoes covered in school custard (we used to have

fights over the "skin").

Best, Pete.

Spam fritters. Now you're talking :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

... contracted out the catering to Gardner Merchant (later Sodexho) so what we got there was basically company canteen / 3-star hotel catering complete with trolleys and heat lamps. I generally kept to the salads - usually chicken - which at least looked and tasted like salads should be.

Sodexo was contracted to the University. The incoming Union President made her election stand on getting rid of them - she succeeded.

• Like 14

I'm reminded of the delivery and installation of my new washing machine a few years back. One guy presented for the process, uninstalled the old one and carried it out to his van before carrying the new one in and installing it!

• Like 16

Steak and Kidney pie takes time to make properly - and time costs 

So it's not on restaurant menus.

IIRC, Steak & Kidney pud is still on the JDW menu!

Edited by JohnDMJ

Sodexo was contracted to the University. The incoming Union President made her election stand on getting rid of them - she succeeded.

They were also eventually given the heave-ho from my school when the latter discovered the art of cost-cutting.

Sodexho also ran the catering for the Great Eastern Hotel in Liverpool Street, albeit of a distinctly 5-star level. One of my old clients was and probably still is Front of House Manager there. He came from Côte d'Ivoire and worked his way up from the bottom.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Another day, another dollar earned. The roads were busy, but not excessively, but there were plenty of cockwombles around, lurking in the lane next to queueing traffic hopping to push in, as usual they were mostly Merc, BMW or Audi drivers, ¥{#|%#^\+*]{ ejits!

My route from Kirkham to Southport took me past Transport Models, near Preston docks and as I thought it was rude not to call, I stopped off for some paint and associated supplies. Despite all that, I still managed to get home early enough to collect the wood that I ordered yesterday. This is now safely stored away in the cellar, where I will start construction of the base boards next weekend.

An early night is on the cards tonight as I have to be at "The Christie Hospital" for 8:10 tomorrow morning for my 6 monthly check up and blood letting/testing, I won't get the results for about a week, unless they find something they don't like the look of, so fingers crossed. I've also got the rest of the day off work too!

Duncan. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Mike. As I mentioned before, just drop some dry noodles or thin pasta strips in hot oil and they'll puff in seconds.

Goodnight all.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

There are some people in life who know the square root of badger all about a subject but believe that everyone should cow tow to their unfounded opions. Hopefully they can be kept in other threads on RMWeb!

Sleep well most, have a good day Rick and Wigan Wallgate....

Baz

Good evening everyone

Another day, another dollar earned.

Goodnight all.

A whole dollar!!!

My overtime amounts to another grain of salt on the peanut (if, that is, there is such a thing as a peanut!) (Allegedly, there is not.)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 1