The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I'd want to try something that an etcher can use, so presumably that means any software that can deal with, and save, *.dxf or *.dwg format.

Draftsight does that no problem. PM me if you want more info. My North British Coach Etches were all done using it. I have no connection with the company.

Jamie

• Like 9

Draftsight does that no problem. PM me if you want more info. My North British Coach Etches were all done using it. I have no connection with the company.Jamie

Isn't that available as a free download from Dassault? I'm sure I've heard that name before.

• RMweb Premium

Isn't that available as a free download from Dassault? I'm sure I've heard that name before.

Yes it is Ivan, that's how I got it. I used to use Progecad which was also free but now is pay up front. Then I bought a version of AutoCAD from a seller in Ireland and also got caught out by Windows 8.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

The Dassault 3-d viewing software is great stuff, the only problem for me is that is it rather lumpy on a Mac making it difficult to halt views in the right place to check particular details (which is how I missed the missing cylinder draincocks on an upcoming model from the Cornish concern).

G'night all

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Or evening for those Topside.  A beautiful sunny day has dawned hear minus the heat of last week.  23 Celsius degrees are promised and we have most of those already by morning coffee.  

Neighbours and friends seem to be camping in their backyard right next to our fence.  Nothing unlawful about that - in a warm country and during the school summer holidays it's not unusual.  But they were yelling and swearing at each other until past 2am and have been at it again since 9am.  The temptation to record one of them yelling "Shut the f*** up" and play it back over the fence at full volume is extreme.

Tony - good to hear of successful navigation in the end.  C2C appear to be making a move on Liverpool Street platform space in advance of the Lizzie Line opening releasing capacity.  More and more trains now avoid Fenchurch Street. many of them timetabled to turn right at Barking.  Woodgrange Park remains one of the few stations in the UK through which timetabled electric passenger trains run but do not call.  The only service is diesel-worked for now.  Until the electrification of the Gospel Oak route is completed.  Future note - the 23 bus which covers the ground between Paddington and Liverpool Street is to be withdrawn in its present form.  The Lizzie Line will cover most direct links otherwise lost and there is now the option to transfer from one route to another within the hour at no penalty.  However the only all-bus option remaining which could be accomplished with just one change will be the take the 36 from Paddington - Victoria then the 11.  That is an absurdly long way round.  The 15 used to run a good cross-London service between Ladbroke Grove and East Ham which I used for Paddington - Fenchurch Street journeys but alas that too is a shadow of its former self now shuttling only between Trafalgar Square and Blackwall DLR station.

Baz - thank you and I'll let you know.  The day began inauspiciously when a few stitches were required in the uniform trousers followed by the removal of a stubborn spot of something or another the sloshing machine had failed to deal with.

3 hours later and the neighbours have finally shut the - up. Almost.  Phew.

Re. CAD, I've been using TurboCad for yonks. Works quite well, and not too difficult to grok. I recently purchased a download of TurbotCAD Pro. It's very similar to TurboCAD Pro, but considering how little I paid, I think it might be a bit fishy.

Good morning one and all.  From the late great Cyril Tawney:

Too soon to be out of my bed

Too soon to be back at this bus queue caper 

Or fumbling for change for my picture paper

On a Monday morning

Another Monday, another trip into town to fetch the local paper.  For some inexplicable reason the delivery brat did what he/she/it was paid to do while I was away and there were two issues on the doormat.  Clearly we are back to normal.  Shall I do that before or after the fodder run?  Decisions, decisions.  Said fodder run is a day early because I need to buy the ingredients for Poorly Pal's lunch tomorrow.  He wants chicken - no problem.

Buses from Paddington to Liverpool Street - try route 205 [Paddington - Bow Church] which IIRC was introduced to relieve the Hammersmith and City while the buckets and spades were out.  It doesn't go very near Farringdon but otherwise hugs the railway pretty closely.

I will have to watch last night's Sherlock again as I too had difficulty in following it.  But for that and a couple of Portaloo's new rail journeys I am pretty well caught up now.  The steak and trimmings went well and so far I am unscathed by the elderly caramel mould.  I must see if it is still on sale. 

Sir David Attenborough is talking about the Great T i t on the radio. I am reminded of a gem from Stanley Accrington:  "Now which politician behaves like a t i t?  Portillo, Portillo, Portillo".  It was a long time ago.

Double condolences to Ian and best wishes to the lonely and depressed, to all travellers [especially those attempting to use the Underground] and to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving and missing.

Chris 

• Like 18

Morning all. A dry start to the day and I certainly hope that it stays that way.

A trip over to Twickenham to receive stores for the job that was meant to be starting today but is now delayed thanks to the customer being a complete cockwomble.

At least I can get a couple of reports out of the way while I'm waiting.

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, it wasn't a case of early rising last night but a case of being unable to get off to sleep despite some pain killers.

So this was followed by being late up and having to rush around, so I left for work just 5 minutes late.

I've felt hot since yesterday afternoon and all through the night and do now even though I'm back In the temperature controlled lab, I hope I'm not coming down with something there is a lot of it about...

There is another spate of broken water mains in the area, so various roads are closed, but not on the direct route in . So it's OK coming in to work but I suspect there will be traffic problems on the way home

I have a huge cutting list for ply (6 sheets) lining the inside on the shed extension, so I'll be going home getting that later, I also need the battens to start framing up the shelving and work benches in there, as that will be holding much of the ply in place. Tin sheds are not designed to have shelves hanging on the tin, so everything has to be effectively free standing.

The computers here are automatically backup'd, unfortunately the sytem isn't intelligent, if your computer is switched off, twice a day you get emails saying it' couldn't back up. I have 3 computers I use. so each monday morning I have 6 emails to delete...

time to go into battle  .

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Good morning

It's raining, but it's warmer than of late. Today my travels will take me to Chorley and then Bury, so not too far to travel. I'm also hoping that the farm track I will have to negotiate in Bury will no be as boggy as I'm expecting it to be, fingers crossed.

Back later

Looks like we have another day of wind and rain to look forward to. Yesterday was slightly better, but I still got rather wet while out for my daily exercise. I am definitely getting fed up with this current weather.

Interesting to see mentions of a C2C on here last night. Is it something to do with Crossrail? In Cumbria, it is known as Coast to Coast, after Alfred Wainwrights walk from St Bees to Robin Hood's Bay in North Yorkshire, and also a cycling equivalent.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Damp out and rather greyish.

Like "The Q" I have a high temperature but I suspect it is just one of the strange side effects as the immunosuppressive medication starts to take control of my body. Not complaining though as it also means it is probably doing what it is supposed to. My intestines are much better for which I am quite grateful.

Simon, C2C is trading name for National Express trains that run on the old London Tilbury and Southend route. C2C was,once thought to be City to Coast but apparently not. Their adverts suggest alternative meanings.

Quite a few trains at weekends go to Liverpool St, They go via the Ockendon route, This enables a service that can go to both Lakeside and Westfield(Stratford) shopping centres. So popular they quickly put 8 car trains on instead of 4 car.

Matthew returns to Utrecht tomorrow. He will be flying to Schipol from Southend so not a long journey to the airport, Today he will be packing his suitcase and rucksack.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning from grid locked London.

Another very restless night with just three hours sleep.

So many trains withdrawn or cancelled that Redhill station forecourt full of buses, ticket office queues and platforms wedged.

Managed to get on the Thameslink service but stood all the way by the corridor connection. It was so hot and stuffy that a woman asked if we had a plastic bag as she was feeling ill. Some one did give her thier seat.

At Elephant and Castle I struggled to get to the doors to get off the train. Had to shout to those at the doors to keep them open.

Traffic outside was grid locked and couldn't get across the Pelican crossing so had to weave through the traffic. Bus stop had a large gathering. Buses not stopping as they were already full so walked to the office.

I need a bed under my desk.

Tomorrow is the Southern strike.

Hello from a cloudy but not too damp Somerset.

Compared to some folks' nightmare travel day, my trip into town ought to be a doddle. And I can try out my new trainers bought in the sales, reduced from £45 to £15.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Same in France and Costa Coffee, UK!

I had tea at Costa in Shrewsbury last Wednesday and it arrived in a proper pot with a jug of milk in support.

Even more shock horror was when the lawyer behind the counter asked which tea blend I would prefer!

I had to sit down and have a cup of tea to recover from the shock of it all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and it's a damp one here. 

Sympathies to Ian (OD). Sorry to hear of your loss. 

Funny to see Rick's post about bus routes - it brought back a memory of a time when I stayed at my Nan's and hopped onto a No 25 or 86 to get to college. She used to sit in the bay window of her flat and watch the world go by and hated visiting us as quiet suburbia wasn't for her. 

The weekend has flown by with a small amount of progress being made on "Project Carpentry". The "shelf" has now been painted and items fashioned from cardboard and plastic sheeting have been glued in place. I just wish I could find the London bus that I have "somewhere" that could sit neatly on top of one of the elevated gap-spanning structures! I bet when I look 3 will appear, much like the old #25 and #86.

Looks like by the year end I'll be working on 2 major projects at opposite ends of the country with a need to visit each site once a week. New tyres for the car may be needed but at least at 50p per mile I may be able to invest in a new loco for "Project Carpentry"!

Have a nice day folks. Andy

• Like 17