The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I stil fancy a Mustang, UK spec one but still guzzles gas and no room for layouts

It has to be an early Mustang as they newer ones aren't as good..

Hopefully a couple of Probate cases will earn enough money to buy a Citroën CX Series 2.

30852325210_bad1bcae46_k_d.jpg

La CX: Origine de la technologie créative

Not a Presidential?

• RMweb Gold

I stil fancy a Mustang, UK spec one but still guzzles gas and no room for layouts

Roof rack?

Ford keep sending Aditi details about the Mustang. She must meet their customer profile for such a vehicle.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Before I could drive a car I thought that perhaps one day I would like something sporty or stylish one day. After years of cars I could "afford" only by doing jobs on them myself I no longer desire sporty or stylish. I just want comfortable and reliable. However the only problem with my Freelander is that I have one of the last ones made. I either keep it for a long time or convince myself in a few years that a Discovery Sport is similar.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Roof rack?

Ford keep sending Aditi details about the Mustang. She must meet their customer profile for such a vehicle.

I get the odd email on it but we tend to fall out with the dealers when they try to rip us off just after the warranty expires.

The older Mustangs are great but imagine the cost of constantly filling the tank!

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes, Ivan, I immediately liked the CX when I fist saw it as a kid.

Will you try running it on three wheels, as I understand it could due to the way its suspension was designed? :jester:

My BX (19, 16v) ran fairly happily on three wheels. In other words I had no idea one of the rear tyres was punctured! As the tyres were VR-rated, replacement was not cheap. 

• RMweb Gold

Tony, my son Steve bought a new Discovery Sport last year and loves it. So do I and if I can ever afford it I'd buy one. However I don't know how it compares to a Freelander.

I have driven a Discovery Sport for an afternoon "off road" . Driving position and seat comfort seemed similar. I didn't notice the extra inch or so on the dimensions. I would have to see if the expensive doggy box would fit. It won't go in a new Evoque. The new non sport Discovery has enhanced wading capability, 900mm, after which it floats allegedly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Finally caught up, I've not had chance to look in earlier, I've been too busy playing trains! It was a cold, wet and foggy start to the day today, but once Max and I had breakfasted Max played for a short while with his cars for a while, whilst I got the trains set up. Once set up, we spent most of the day playing with them, he particularly likes the engines that are sound fitted, but kept changing his mind as to which was his favourite, today it was the Heljan - LION (sound fitted), close second was the Bachmann - WD 2-8-0 (sound fitted) but he also liked operating my Hornby - Adams radial (non sound fitted) too, as it's very fleet of foot! I only had to show the controls a few times and then he was away, toggling quite happily between the two. Young kids really do get the hang of modern technology don't they?

Once he'd gone home, Sheila and I sat down with a brew and relaxed for a bit, then I went to prepare tea, which tonight was a vegetable lasagne, with a hint of chilli, just to give it a bit of an edge, it always goes done well with Sheila.

Time now to put up our feet and enjoy a glass or two of red.

Baz. My last car was a Civic, very nice it was too!

• Like 8

Before I could drive a car I thought that perhaps one day I would like something sporty or stylish one day. After years of cars I could "afford" only by doing jobs on them myself I no longer desire sporty or stylish. I just want comfortable and reliable. However the only problem with my Freelander is that I have one of the last ones made. I either keep it for a long time or convince myself in a few years that a Discovery Sport is similar.

I`m very easily pleased these days (Oi!...titter-ye-not in the cheap seats!) :nono: ......for, as I`ve aged, I`ve become very risk-averse and so, reliability and safety are now paramount!

My Peugeot was chosen for me by my dear 'Passepartout', my wish-list only specifying: safe/Euro-NCAP 5, fuel efficient and large enough for someone 5' 14"......He chose really well! :angel: 

.......wouldn`t let him choose for me any item of clothing, though! :no:

• Like 11

Oh yes, Ivan, I immediately liked the CX when I first saw it as a kid.

Will you try running it on three wheels, as I understand it could due to the way its suspension was designed? :jester:

This party trick (inherited from the DS) only works for the rear wheels, not the fronts, but it is useful for getting to the nearest tyre shop if you have a puncture. The nature of the suspension also means you can take it off-road like a 4x4 if you have to.

http://youtu.be/oZfB2sNEsU0

The headlights weren't that powerful, but the French firm Morette still makes and sells a North American-style CX set of four round headlamps in purpose-built frames as a straight swap for the originals. 410 Euros, though. Shame the Series 2 cars never benefited from the ellipsoid projector-lens headlamps that were finding their way onto cars from about 1987 onwards.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 12

Hopefully a couple of Probate cases will earn enough money to buy a Citroën CX Series 2.

Always knew I should have been a lawyer!

Evening all

Great to hear from Debs, also that Gordon's problems are lightening a little.

Popped out to Holyrood Park today to watch (Sir) Mo Farah in some cross-country - he came 7th, I think. It was on BBC1 Scotland, unsure if the rest of the UK could watch it live. A good day for it. Then a stroll to our new Barrelhouse pub which has some good beers.

Trying the new Tom Hardy late-Georgian prog Taboo just now - looks like it coud be good, but will wait and see.

Think that postponed ops are rescheduled quickly, so trust that Sherry's is.

Hope you all have good weekends

Mal

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Baz. My last car was a Civic, very nice it was too!

My current car is a Civic - a 2.2 CDTi ES with sun roof....we have had it for 8 years and it has done 94000 miles (bought second hand) so buying another one was a no brainer. As we don't do huge mileages any more ( I did do 30,000 miles a year for a while) we have gone for a petrol one. It has lots of whizzy things to play with...but I can turn the Navaid voice off.... apparently!

We popped out for a curry. Very nice, BYO, meat karahi and a Tandoori Roti.. yummy!

Baz

• Like 17

Always knew I should have been a lawyer!...

It works better financially if you are in a City firm, doing mind-numbing stuff like mergers and acquisitions, maritime, banking, finance, etc.

You won't get rich in high street private practice. Ask me how I know.

• Like 1

I`m very easily pleased these days (Oi!...titter-ye-not in the cheap seats!) :nono: ......for, as I`ve aged, I`ve become very risk-averse and so, reliability and safety are now paramount!

My Peugeot was chosen for me by my dear 'Passepartout', my wish-list only specifying: safe/Euro-NCAP 5, fuel efficient and large enough for someone 5' 14"......He chose really well! :angel: 

.......wouldn`t let him choose for me any item of clothing, though! :no:

That is pretty much the same things on our wish list - economy, safety, practicality and space (and the DAB radio helps!) As I am also about 5' 14", it can be difficult to find a small car that is comfortable. The VW Up fitted the bill nicely.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

That is pretty much the same things on our wish list - economy, safety, practicality and space (and the DAB radio helps!) As I am also about 5' 14", it can be difficult to find a small car that is comfortable. The VW Up fitted the bill nicely.

When we choose cars we need ones that someone with short legs can comfortably drive. Although the Freelander has so much legroom I can't reach the front bulkhead the seats and steering wheel are adjustable so someone barely 5foot tall can drive comfortably as well as someone taller. One of the useful "toys" on the present Freelander is that seat and mirror positions can be memorised for up to 3 drivers.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6

Welcome to page Newfoundland

post-13478-0-36026400-1483833352_thumb.jpeg

Today, like Jamie, I was at our church's men's breakfast this morning. It was nice to spend time with some friendly faces. The event took place at the church's Christian camp centre and a few of us made use of the table tennis table in the games room afterwards.

Some work was completed in the afternoon followed by a nice meal with Sarah in the evening. I have booked a table at a local pub for tomorrow as it is Sarah's birthday.

Night all.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I usually turn the fan heater on in the shed about 30 minutes before I go out there to do some modelling.

When I opened the door to commence the modelling within a suitably warm environment, I was confronted by a large yellow and black flying insect that had me running back to the house.

About 3 months ago, I observed a large wasp buzzing round my shed and I thought it had left via the open door. Looks like I was wrong and it had hibernated in my shed and I'd woken it up with the heater.

I knew exactly where the fly and wasp spray was, as it's one of my weapons that I keep handy - regardless of the time of year [*]. The other preferred weapon is a rolled up newspaper, but as I don't regularly buy them, it's not often that avenue of destruction is open to me..

Result of the spray was Newbryford 1, wasp population -1.

[*] The last time I was stung by a wasp - about 10 years ago - I had an allergic reaction to it that took three days to manifest itself in a very swollen elbow, that prevented me from driving and required treatment with the strongest anti-histamines that NHSs' best A&E department could muster. (It was a bank holiday weekend and my local GP wasn't open), hence my fear of the above mentioned beasts - Spheksophobia

Apart from that, it's been three weeks since I went to an ice hockey game and it was good to see the Blackburn Hawks back to winning ways with an exciting game against the Deeside Dragons.

0-1 down, then 3-1 up, 3-2, 4-2, 4-4, 6-4, 6-6 and 7-6 to finish. #COYH.

Much modelling was then accomplished after vanquishing the wasp.

Commute tomorrow later today to play with some model trains.

Have a good Sunday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 15