The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Oddly, CB, it is an IKEA basin!  However the overflow is within the porcelain.  Clever bit of moulding, wonder how they do it, lost wax casting?.....LOL.  Far too narrow to get a dead rodent of any size up also.  More drain cleaner of the sort that contravenes strategic arms limitation treaties inserted.  Purple smoke expected soon.

Dead rodent stuck in the pipe?

On one occasion the hot water was running very slowly at my parent's house. I found the problem - a dead sparrow was blocking the outflow from the header tank in the attic. :O

• Like 1

So, to the drains.

Overhaul of the trap on the basin proved noting - clean as a whistle inside, no smell.  Cupboard cleaned out, nothing.  Lifted foul waste drain lids outside, clean as a clean thing, not even a hint of smell.  Nothing to blow back into the system - look like nothing has passed down them!  Flush and water tested.  Bathroom still smells.

Next stage the bath panel and some boxing the bog waste pipe runs behind, although the niff doesn't seem to be coming from there.  Solid concrete floor so its not under the floorboards.

Getting fed up with this now.

Neil,

My late MIL had a similar problem in her bathroom a long time ago, which eventually went away. Some time later, I lifted some floorboards in the bathroom to change some plumbing, and found the decomposed remains of a very large rat. It had eaten partially through an electric cable and probably been electrocuted. You say that the floor is concrete, but could there be something similar above the ceiling?

• RMweb Gold

On one occasion the hot water was running very slowly at my parent's house. I found the problem - a dead sparrow was blocking the outflow from the header tank in the attic. :O

We spent one New Year with heavy objects weighting down a couple of the loos serviced by the drain shared with next door. After some remedial work was carried out to the drains a plug wasn't inserted into an unused access point. Rats got in but didn't venture up our toilets before they "deceased".

This we think is the source - having bunged it up this afternoon before we went out and the smell dissipated. However, we have already cleaned it to the best of our ability, and used the sort of drain cleaner you wouldn't let GDB use. Goggles and gloves stuff.  Its been washed through as much as we can, and still......pooh.  And why after 13 years since I installed it, does it suddenly smell?

It may seem odd to ask but can any water entering the overflow on the handbasin fall into an unexitable area?

• RMweb Premium

Oh goody! Another four inches of snow. I'm running out of places to put the stuff. It's been quite a Winter, and it's only just started.

The tractor awaits.

You need some more storage boxes.......

Cheers,

Mick

It's called an icebox in this instance, thinks me. :jester: Edited by NGT6 1315

• RMweb Premium

Neil,

My late MIL had a similar problem in her bathroom a long time ago, which eventually went away. Some time later, I lifted some floorboards in the bathroom to change some plumbing, and found the decomposed remains of a very large rat. It had eaten partially through an electric cable and probably been electrocuted. You say that the floor is concrete, but could there be something similar above the ceiling?

Tried that (and found some Mainline MK1 coaches I have no recollection of ever buying) - and the pipes leading from the extractor. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

It may seem odd to ask but can any water entering the overflow on the handbasin fall into an unexitable area?

It's entirely self contained within the porcelain and has never given trouble before, and nothing has been changed in the 13 years it has been in use! 

Evening all.  New year seen in with Doreen (actually 79) then a sharp walk to catch the last estate bus and straight to bed.  Up at 7:00am to open the church for the  8:00am service.  Joan filled the chalice for a congregation of three so, as chalice assistant, I had a lot of wine to consume.  Off to another church for their 10:00am service, home and gardened until the drizzle drove me indoors.  Now working on the Charles Roberts register.

Ivan, thanks for the hoof polish.

Bob, I think SHMBO should be sent on a first aid at work (or home) course.

Keep well all,     Bill

• Like 13

It's entirely self contained within the porcelain and has never given trouble before, and nothing has been changed in the 13 years it has been in use!

I just wondered whether some water going down the overflow when the handbasin was full could enter a 'pocket' of the porcelain rather than entering straight into the trap. When this 'pocket' was full any remaining overflowing water would then flow straight into the trap and exit. But the water within the pocket would remain and become smelly.

• RMweb Premium

I just wondered whether some water going down the overflow when the handbasin was full could enter a 'pocket' of the porcelain rather than entering straight into the trap. When this 'pocket' was full any remaining overflowing water would then flow straight into the trap and exit. But the water within the pocket would remain and become smelly.

Could it be some blockage of the overflow such as stale soap? and have you tried putting the drain cleaner directly into the overflow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It would seem logical that the first accident would be on the first day of the month and year. It was!   :yes:

Only minor mind you but blood was drawn as somehow I managed to nick my nose whilst shaving this morning. No I don't know how I managed that.

Blood is now flowing again as I've just blown my nose and started it off again.  :banghead:

Any takers on when the next  incident will occur?

I have managed to do a few grandadbobs today working under the layout. I'd take a photo but the reflections from the top of my head confuse the camera's light meter, bloodied bits notwithstanding.

Here's hoping that you all have a happy, peaceful and memorable year.

Warren

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, quite so - but why would it not have happened in the past?  It's had a good washing through several times in the last few weeks.

• RMweb Premium

Could it be some blockage of the overflow such as stale soap? and have you tried putting the drain cleaner directly into the overflow.

Yup, said that a few pages ago, we have done it twice today, with serious drain cleaner!  Then with a hot water flush. Thinking about a hand grenade next...... :O  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

A very quiet day here, I went down to the workshop and did a bit of tidying. I also put all the gearboxes I built before Christmas in my ultrasonic cleaner, which resulted in them all coming out looking very cleaner, well worth the reasonable sum it cost.

Tea tonight was steak and chips, not our usual fare, but it made a very nice change. I bought the steak a couple of weeks ago (it's been in the freezer since) after Sheila mentioned that she rather fancied a steak and chips for tea on New Year's Day.

Earlier this evening I spent about an hour on the phone talking to my brother in Canada. Once our conversation had ended, it was another glass of red and a bit of quiet time with Sheila, all in all a very pleasant evening and the cupboard which hides the idiots lantern hasn't even opened tonight.

Goodnight all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Just got home from Cumbria, did a few hours DJing at a holiday park in Silloth last night, really good night, great atmosphere and about 800 people in there, did an hour and a half set just after midnight playing some big dance tunes from the last 12 months and another 'happy hardcore' set for the Glaswegians

1E17EC8C-AE5D-4BF3-94E4-A7550EFF33B9.jpg

Wot - no handbag circles????? What on Earth do the girls now dance around????? ;)

More....mouthy.  Means well, but......gobby. Loud.

I encountered the type while living in East London.  Good sorts, volume permanently turned to 11, no sense of privacy or decorum.  If you wanted to know who had spent the night with whom you opened the window and listened to the noise.  If you didn't want to know you were unable to avoid it anyway.

Caught up with some sleepage.  Was finally permitted to access the bed at 7pm last night after a s*p*rm*rk*t run and a quick insertion of stir-fried cluckbeast.  Awoke at 4am with a thumping head, went back to sleep and resumed the morning at 9am feeling much refreshed.  A couple of hours now until I am required at the Palace.  Some posts read and rated, not up to date.

I think I saw white rabbits on my head yesterday but I was rather tired so they might have been hairs.  I'll get me coat ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back home from a very sociable night with my side of the family.

Junior NB arranged the food for the 15 and very good it was too.

She also arranged the party games and we were split into three teams - captained by myself and my two elder brothers. the teams were then drawn at random. My team consisted of SIL, nephew and other nephew's fiancée's future step-sister......

Although both my brothers are reasonably competitive, being the youngest of the three (54, 57 and 61!) always meant that  I've always had that edge to catch up.

Over four rounds or balancing Maltesers on straws, marshmallow throwing, elastic band coconut shy and chocolate mint eating, team NB was victorious.

2017 is off to a good start.

Tomorrow is a planned lie-in until out driving at midday.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Nothing that a decent vegetable curry won't solve....

So it's also a solvent now? :O  Well, in that case I'll probably stick to a chicken masalla instead ;)

There's some use for leftovers I'd never have thought of! :jester: