The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I've been straying into Grandadbob territority recently. The cold weather has meant that the gas-filled struts on the car's hatchback have been rather sluggish. Twice I've opened the hatch, been distracted by something, turned back to the car and cracked the top of my head off the edge of the half-open hatch. With no follicular padding there, it has hurt!

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, guys:

A suggestion or two, if I may?

1. When expecting a cold morning, the Swiss remove their wipers from all glass to prevent them freezing on.

2. Fill a watering can with luke warm water and a drop or two of washing up liquid; pour that over you car's glass and avoid all scraping!

They work for me!

When we store our motor home, I put a piece of wood (1x2x2) under each arm to raise it from the glass. I keep them joined with a couple of feet of rope and hope to remember to remove it before using.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

pH: our previous car was beginning to suffer from hatch droop. The new one not only rises farther, but can be opened and closed with the garage door closed.

I did some modelling today and yesterday. Changed a long strip of fill from beaded plastic to Homasote so that trees could be pinned down. (Gluing to beaded plastic -- the glue is stronger than the plastic foam, and our cat is stronger than both.) finished the insert strip with WS grass but I'm now effectively out of Scenic Glue -- found a large solid lump in the bottom of one bottle. 

The prize gift that I gave this year was a photo of LNER 10000 on the Flying Scotsman. This went to a friend who trades as The Flying Scotsman

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Foggy and -2C here. I can see cars on the other side of the road have frosty windscreens . By the time I go anywhere the frost should have gone but I am not sure when the fog is supposed to go.

No idea what I am doing today. Perhaps I will fit a decoder to my Christmas loco.

Have a good day.

Tony

• Like 16

Sorry to hear the news about your mother Gordon. Lorna's mum left school in Paisley around the same time as your mum, but we have not come across a similar "instruction sheet" from Renfrewshire Education, although I'm pretty sure one must have been provided to her, and also to Lorna's dad.

When Lorna's dad died we asked her mum to come and stay with us in Idaho but she preferred to remain in Scotland. She is now happily ensconced in a nursing home in Renfrew.

Free to a good home - several hundredweights of freshly hand-shovelled snow. Mostly white, with earthen traces. Buyer collects. (The snow shovel is 50 inches tall.)

attachicon.gifIMG_1145.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1157.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1160.JPG

We've got quite enough of that sort of thing here already - thank you very much!

It took me about three hours to plow out the six inches we got last night.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Very quiet here and very frosty out so I think I'll stay in.

All visitors had left by yesterday evening so today it looks like some domestic duties are called for, putting back furniture to its rightful place and generally tidying up. After that I'm hoping to run my latest toy (County of Flint)

I was notified yesterday that a parcel containing a little blue loco is on its way here from Liverpool via Yodel 24 hour tracked service. So far entering the tracking number just gets the response "Sorry. we can't find that parcel. Please try again."  Now there's a surprise.

I think a light breakfast is called for before I break out the Dyson.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

Morning all. A frosty start to the day but at least there is no fog here.

Caffeine infusion has started before I head out to Ford. I just hope that the cockwomble count is low today. 

Have a good day everyone

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from the edge of Dartmoor. Sherry's cabin is a bit inhospitable on first arrival in cold weather, but the radiators etc kick in quite quickly, and we had a cosy evening.

Bill B - I have no objection to ecclesiastical architecture, which often - invariably? - surpasses much of that surrounding it. I am happy to visit churches, and Deb and I got rather good at inspecting Norman fonts in Cornwall. Sherry and I, in our illicit days more than a decade ago, enjoyed visiting Chartres cathedral, and Le Mans and Exeter are two more recent 'cops'. Your mention of a lady suggests you have found some good company - I hope so.

We hope, as the weather is supposed to be fine today, to get out and about. I want to visit Halwill Junction, which is the prototype for my Southern layout. I know there's not much left of the original, through which I last travelled in 1965, but we will see. Il Dottore has built a couple of structures for me in past years.

I hope you are able to relax between festivals, and those who are required to work can do so under less pressure than sometimes.

• Like 19

Morning all, many thanks for all your support and PM's.  They meant a lot to me.

Just about to start on the paper trail for the Registrar, so looking for the various certificates required.  Memo to self.  Get your own paperwork organised to make the task easier for others.

Last few stragglers here after the Christmas celebrations.  In fact it was a good thing most of the family were around as that kept spirits high.  They managed to drain our stock of wine and beer, so there were a lot of laughs on the way.

Excited about today.  Jackie's cousin learned to fly a helicopter in 2016 and whilst chatting over a beer on Boxing Day, told me he was going out from Goodwood today and had a spare seat, did I want to come?  Of course I jumped at the chance, so we'll be over the south coast later today.  Could be zooming down to Brighton or over the Isle of Wight depending on the wind speed and Air Traffic Control.  I'll take the camera, so some pics may appear later.

I hope he listened intently to his instructors.... :)

• Like 6

pH: our previous car was beginning to suffer from hatch droop. The new one not only rises farther, but can be opened and closed with the garage door closed.

I did some modelling today and yesterday. Changed a long strip of fill from beaded plastic to Homasote so that trees could be pinned down. (Gluing to beaded plastic -- the glue is stronger than the plastic foam, and our cat is stronger than both.) finished the insert strip with WS grass but I'm now effectively out of Scenic Glue -- found a large solid lump in the bottom of one bottle. 

The prize gift that I gave this year was a photo of LNER 10000 on the Flying Scotsman. This went to a friend who trades as The Flying Scotsman.

Can i just ask how one trades as (the Flying Scotsman).

• Like 9

Morning all,

We have a reasonably bright morning here. It is cloudy with patches of sunshine.

Enjoy your helicopter flight, Gordon. I have a friend who flies a Robinson R44 and I find helicopters to be fascinating machines.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Very quiet here and very frosty out so I think I'll stay in.

All visitors had left by yesterday evening so today it looks like some domestic duties are called for, putting back furniture to its rightful place and generally tidying up. After that I'm hoping to run my latest toy (County of Flint)

I was notified yesterday that a parcel containing a little blue loco is on its way here from Liverpool via Yodel 24 hour tracked service. So far entering the tracking number just gets the response "Sorry. we can't find that parcel. Please try again."  Now there's a surprise.

I think a light breakfast is called for before I break out the Dyson.

Have a good one,

Bob.

It's probably being used as a football at tea break at the depot judging by the state of the parcels left here for a neighbour last week I signed D. AMAGED for them, the D*ckhead delivering said that was strange name I just smiled.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Still foggy here at quarter past ten but the sun still trying desperatley to burn through. Interesting pic on a Facebook group, someones made a candlelabra out of four (garden) fork handles, ideal gift for a Two Ronnies fan. Unfortunately due to privacy settings I can't save it to my own timeline. Glad to hear from GDB and that he still has a full set of digits but I do wish he wouldn't worry us by telling us he's going to be sharpening knives and then disappearing for a few days. And talking of thermometres, when I had my fall a few weeks ago the thermometre was inserted in my ear. Apparently its one of the few places a thermometre can be inserted that gives an accurate reading of core temperature, I refrained from asking what other orifices are suitable. :O Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

a nice presentable frost out there today - looks even better when you don't have to go out in it - but the fist & mog hasn't really come up to forecast promise because although I can't see across the valley the Fog Object is in reasonably plain view so no need to call out Fogmen.

I understand a Tesco visit is planned for some resupply as there is now a little bit of room in the fridge.

Have a good day one and all and Gordon don't let him forget that you fly on the right (of features such as railways  etc).

• Like 19

I was an ER this morning, as I was up early to make a trip to Maryport to pick up a Display cabinet, as seen on the Bargain Hunters thread and it's own thread. After 3 years, I finally managed to get one!

I will be watching a memorial rugby match this afternoon, partly arranged by my son in memory of his best friend. The weather should be nice and sunny, and I will get the chance to catch up with some friends I haven't seen for a while.