The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Persuaded the vacuum cleaner to work - of sorts. On the advertising it's the model good with pet hair. Please note the singular. Try to pick more than one up and it bu99ers up completely.

New one Tuesday.

If it's the one that rhymes with tax, then I had a similar experience, but found that it was down to the lousy filtration, and also lots of gunk choking up the airways - as we have a dog, this was also down to pet hair.  However, a very good clean, a wet clean to the filter, and a new bottom filter, then using a flexible rod to get the odd bits of mess out of the airways, and it fired up as good as new.

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

Good morning and merry Christmas everyone.

We had breakfast in bed today, as it's just the 2 of us. Phone calls have been made and my ears are still ringing from the squeals of delight when speaking to the grandkids.

We'll be eating lunch at around 2:00 so relaxing for now, but I'll start lunch about 1:00 as it will only take around an hour to cook. Then it'll be opening a bottle of red to go with it.

Enjoy the day.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon from a very sunny Charente. The Turkey has now been cooked and dinner will follow in due course. A bottle of Prosecco has been put to good use and we are now relaxing and watching/listening to Carols from Kings which is slightly strange in another country but very nice. Beth seems to be pleased with the things that have come her way.

I just hope that Bob is careful with that carving knife......

Jamie

• Like 15

Good afternoon from a very sunny Charente. The Turkey has now been cooked and dinner will follow in due course. A bottle of Prosecco has been put to good use and we are now relaxing and watching/listening to Carols from Kings which is slightly strange in another country but very nice. Beth seems to be pleased with the things that have come her way.

I just hope that Bob is careful with that carving knife......

Jamie

As you mention Carols From Kings, was I the only person who thought the choir had all been taught not to properly pronounce the letter "R" when singing?

'Once In Loyal David's City' sounded wrong to me, as did 'Ding ###### Mellily On High'.

Maybe it is how choirs are taught these days, or maybe I had been on the single malt....

Edited to add; this PC word censor is now getting ridiculous. Soon there will be no words left that do not have sexual connotations.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As you mention Carols From Kings, was I the only person who thought the choir had all been taught not to properly pronounce the letter "R" when singing?

'Once In Loyal David's City' sounded wrong to me, as did 'Ding ###### Mellily On High'.

Maybe it is how choirs are taught these days, or maybe I had been on the single malt....

Edited to add; this PC word censor is now getting ridiculous. Soon there will be no words left that do not have sexual connotations.

Despite the Prosecco I didn't notice that but will listen as it continues. I wasn't impressed with the new descant to Once in Royal but did like the descant on Ding D0ng merrily on High.

Jamie

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Just when I thought that my computer chair was safe, I went off for a coffee, and this happened - I think she was trying to get off RMWeb and onto one of the doggy online shops - or perhaps it was trying to contact her Sussex relatives on Facebook.

post-103-0-94013000-1482669583_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

A very Merry Christmas to one and all.   :friends:

Those of you who have read my ET thread may be aware I am likely to lose my mother very shortly.  I deliberately haven't mentioned it on here as it's Christmas and I certainly don't want to spoil the fun and games of today.  I know that you all will offer messages of support and goodwill, so please no posts that may detract from the festive spirit that abounds today.

I thought you may be interested in something I found in my mother's bits and bobs.  This was given to her in 1937 when she left school.  All I ask is that it is seen as a historical document and nothing more.  Out of respect to my mother, I certainly don't want to get pulled into arguments re PC etc.

I have every faith that ER's will respect my wishes and see this as what it is.  A document from 80 years ago that makes fascinating reading.

post-6950-0-83554000-1482674205_thumb.jpg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 5

Despite the Prosecco I didn't notice that but will listen as it continues. I wasn't impressed with the new descant to Once in Royal but did like the descant on Ding D0ng merrily on High.

Jamie

I didn't like the descant to O Come All Ye Faithful, but then I am a traditionalist where carols are concerned; and am not keen on these modern attempts to add extra arrangements to something which sounded great in the first place.

And, as far as I am concerned, no carol service is complete without an extremely loud rendition of 'Hark The Heralds' to finish.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to hear from Gordon, despite impending sadness in his life. And that letter from 1937 espouses values that would hardly be regarded as injurious today, if a little outdated. And, as for his generous wish not to cloud the day, let's not forget that Christmas is not a time of universal rejoicing, even in Christian countries, with plenty of lonely etc folk feeling excluded from the jollity - while the reality is that families famously spend a lot of the season falling out!

Bon courage at a tough time.

• RMweb Gold

I got up, cooked breakfast,. made a seeded bloomer, peeled the veg, made bucks fizz and took Elsa for a stroll around the houses.

In return I got five bottle of malt whisky; some bottles of port and Prosecco, a bottle of fruity home made gin and two bottles of tonic.

I also received a box of wine gums............................

Does anyone think I'm a raving alcoholic?

I also received a WRU hat and lastly, a bar of soap, flannel and hair conditioner:  These last three obviously being sent by someone who knows I go to model railway expeditions.

A note about the Prosecco.....

I, obviously being the spawn of the King of Smut, call it Prostitutio, a name that seems to have caught on in these parts/  It is even referred to as such by no less a virtuous soul that the Obergrumpenfuhrer herself.

I shall now retire to the muddy hollow (forward) wearing my hat, and can wallow whilst supping some of the gin and greeting passers by with the compliments of the season.

The flannel and soap will stay within it's wrapping as I'm building up for the small Cardiff show on Jan 21st.

Hippo Christmas

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

A'noon everyone, and once again, a very happy Christmas to you all. Especially to Gordon this time.

A lazy morning was followed by picking up Charlie the beagle at FiL's for taking him (the beagle :jester: ) for a walk at Lake Störmthal. Roast goose for dinner is in the oven and relaxation is again setting in.

Windy outside and inside, I am finding myself revisiting the concept for a North American scenario in the Great Lakes area. Poor credit card may be going to suffer once again...

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Great to hear from Gordon, albeit with a somewhat sad post.  Please keep us posted after the festive season.

DInner is now consumed in the traditional 45156/30747 fashion - all prepped first thing, and main (chicken) put in the oven about 12.30 - ate starter and let the main cook while watching part of a Christmas film.  Tended the veg and so on, then as we got the main up, put pudding on to steam at about 14.00.  After main, watched the rest of said film, and then had pud.  Wine was with the main, and a port after the pud.  Long gap in the meal meant that the hideous bloated feeling, and the thought of "oh no, not more food" didn't trouble us.  Works well if there's only two and you feel the same way about being overloaded.

Possibly back later.

• Like 16

Afternoon all.

Festive wishes to you all. Hope anyone suffering or otherwise feels better soon.

Awaiting Richard doing the final bits for dinner before eating (had to retire back to bed for a bit to stave off a migraine (successful)). I think he's clamoring to get at the single malt scotch he knows he's got... Can't think why...

The day seems to be goin well with no reports of people fallin over or cuttin digits off, keep it up folks!

Andy it seems that the obit section is just for people from the railway modelling community, I have noticed before that celebrity obits get moved to WT

• Like 2