The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Oh dear, several ERs in need of more than thoughts and compassion and I'm afraid that's the most I can virtually provide.

Dutch_Master - I do hope your 2017 improves things. Having seen similar circumstances in the early 2000's I know where you are, as Tony said, it will improve, hang in there.

Andy - hope you get some needed rest and you, Sarah and Amber can bounce back for at least some Christmas cheer.

ID - same predicament I'm afraid, at a loss for the Mrs this year, have a couple of "smaller items" I know she'll like but really should have something special and 1.5 days and counting!

Early Morning and real ER for me <bah> even though it's a day off.

Woke around 5:45 for a bathroom break and noticed my cell phone was "on" - wouldn't shut off by all the usual means for some reason.

Paniced as I want/need some of the pictures on the microSD card, so decided to get up and investigate/correct the problem. All sorted now and microSD backed up to PC.

So what do I do NOW at 7AM, still dark outside, Mrs and Whitney sleeping and will continue to do so for at least another hour or more <yawn> and no shops open to do the last minute shopping...

I know...surf RMWeb,,,

+1 and partly cloudy by all reports, still too dark to tell, feels like midnight still. Supposed to manage 2 and get 1-2 inches of snow according to the forecast.

I will be around all weekend, and checking in, but in case some are AWOL for the season, Merry Christmas to all the ERs and wishing everyone peace for the New Year.

• Like 4

I suppose a turkey could be microwaved, if it would fit inside the machine.

After all, in some US states they deep fry turkeys by simply dropping them in a bucket of very hot oil - usually out of doors, mind.

They do, and plenty of them also then manage to set fire to the decks/porches they do the deed on - quite spectacular too based on news/youtube reports!

Takes a little bit of thought before you chuck a large dead bird into a huge vat of boiling oil, but that seems to have escaped a portion of the population over here :O

On the subject - since we usually have turkey at Thanksgiving (great US tradition!) the family aren't inclined to have the same thing Christmas, this year we've chosen roast beef as our dead animal of choice :jester: will have most of the typical "Sunday roast" trimmings, so will feel a lot like home especially since Christmas is on Sunday this year :locomotive:

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Bern wandering round Oxford trying to find what I want for my other half but none of them spotted do far. So in another pub contemplating what to do.

I think that going to Swindon for beer is now not an option as I need to go to Reading shops to try again.

Normally she isn't out with us on Xmas eve but this year she is, so tomorrow is not an option for getting her presents.

• RMweb Premium

Bern wandering round Oxford trying to find what I want for my other half but none of them spotted do far. So in another pub contemplating what to do.

I think that going to Swindon for beer is now not an option as I need to go to Reading shops to try again.

Normally she isn't out with us on Xmas eve but this year she is, so tomorrow is not an option for getting her presents.

Going Shopping in Bern is a bit excessive.... :no:

• RMweb Premium

Storm Barbara is rattling the roof at the workplace.

Mrs NB shares the same name (apart from the storm bit....) and was in a remarkably good mood last night/this morning.

Should I be worried?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

My brother was so impressed with the deep fried turkeys at his brother in law's Florida residence he tried unsuccessfully to import one. He did however import a gas fired smoker thing from the US that is probably working away now.

Edit for photo.

post-6719-0-03620400-1482502692_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Sorry to hear of DM's problems, hope something more helpful transpires.

The early(ish) trip to Pangbourne worked quite well - all it required was a quick decanting of Mrs Stationmaster from the car after I entered the car park and the patience on my part to sit and wait for somebody to leave so that I could park, the 4 car drivers who arrived after me were not so patient and duly turned, eventually, and left and I got parked and set off along the road just in time to find herself with laden bags coming in the opposite direction.  She'd arrived in the shop with only one person in front of her, when we again passed the shop a few minutes after stowing the butchery stuff in the car the queue was out of the door; no luck for what we sought in the ironmonger's shop but purchase of proper job clotted cream (Roddas of course) went smoothly in the Co-op.  And for Baz's info the mini-roundabuout outside the Co-op was in an almost shambolic state but not as bad as it was late on wednesday afternoon.

Only a couple of cockwombles enroute in either direction but the police were busy at what might, or might not, have been an abandoned vehicle which caused a slight delay to the return working (although not as big a delay as the pair of idiots we followed over the last few miles back into town the leader of whom actually had to accelerate to get up to the 30mph limit) and what we couldn't get at the ironmonger's we got at a local garden centre, plus another small (fake) Crimble Tree for the hall.  So all done and dusted but bacon to restock tomorrow plus the 'paper to buy and pr*tt man still has his Beemer parked opposite my gate so obviously hasn't been resuscitated from his state of brain death and selfish stupidity.

Enjoy the rest of your day and may those who are suffering various illnesses look forward to an early return to better health.

• Like 2

Evening all,

I haven't visited for a couple of days, as I have been reading my way through Big Jim's layout thread. So I am rather sad to learn that some ERs are having a pretty carp time at the moment. I know it sounds glib, but I hope that 2017 turns out to be a better year for all.

We have visited a few Christmas Markets over the past couple of days, and sadly the mood was a little subdued at times. The sight of police armed with machine guns doesn't really improve the Christmas spirit - it is unfortunate that it is necessary.

I have also been replacing some of our outside lights before the weather gets to them.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

My eldest just burst into song...."I'm dreaming of a White Christmas, just like the ones I used to know...."

Does countering this with "Name 3" get me a place on the "Bah-humbug leader board"?

Really sorry to hear of DM's woes and would like to add my virtual support to him. Fingers crossed for you, mate.

The orange-branded Supermarket was heaving earlier. I'm sure the Dalai Lama would have a thought about "the pursuit of festive cheer acts to make shoppers cheerless." Why precisely people think that plonking themselves directly in front of shop assistants and without a "by your leave" demanding to know when more of product X or Y is due in stock when the poor s@ds are doing their best to stack shelves.

On reflection I intended to purchase a deodorant spray, so may pop back tomorrow to source the missing item. A half hour queue at the till would give me the chance to hear the rest of the cheery Christmas music they play and take a look at the Easter display that is almost overdue.   :jester:

Sounds like Yorkshire tea abounds everywhere apart from Leeds. So, purchasing this for a Yorkshireman can't count as Coals to Newcastle, I guess?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Storm Barbara has just made it presence felt around 3:30 with rain so heavy it was like a white out and very strong gusting winds, but it has died down now. I do hope that was it, time will tell!

• RMweb Gold

Storm Barbara has just made it presence felt around 3:30 with rain so heavy it was like a white out and very strong gusting winds, but it has died down now. I do hope that was it, time will tell!

I was in the shed running the layout when the heavens opened, I replaced my felt roof years ago with box metal sheets like they use on industrial buildings the noise was amazing, not seen heavy rain like that for a while.

I was in the shed running the layout when the heavens opened, I replaced my felt roof years ago with box metal sheets like they use on industrial buildings the noise was amazing, not seen heavy rain like that for a while.

After replacing the roofing felt on mine for the third time - so did I  !

Afternoon all,

My eldest just burst into song...."I'm dreaming of a White Christmas, just like the ones I used to know...."

Does countering this with "Name 3" get me a place on the "Bah-humbug leader board"?

Er..... well since you asked - 1970, 1981 and 2010.

• RMweb Premium

Stationmaster: a neutral turn in a CR2 would do wonders fro that mini roundabout...

AndyB: plenty of Yorkshire gold tea in Leeds - but its a long way to take some to the Stationmaster as it seems to have fallen foul of the South Yorkshire Border Patrol.

Her indoors managed to get drenched in the storm walking from the car to the front porch on her return from the  how much did it cost  hairdressers.

Fixtures just about sorted .. again... try doing 22 games for 14 teams.. yep its doesn't really work that well...

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Late on parade due to a lie-in of sorts, logging, delivery of the last few local cards, taxi duty, trip to bank, back home and tried to catch up to no avail, then taxi duty.

I have now caught up, and really feel for Dutch Master, whose tale does ring a few bells, as I too have been there, when I "left" the phone company, and was some months in arrears, and with the staff of the lender starting off sympathetic, but that wore off.  So I can identify where you're coming from, and hope that something will turn up.   Any nasties that come your way are a dozen times worse for being at the festive season.

Likewise Andy, hope that things calm down for you, both in terms of family health, and the job....

Good to have Flavio back amoung our number, too - the usual pragmatic medical sense.

Rick - lovely pics of Sharon's contributions to the gardens, and I hope she can bring a similar flair to the UK gardens once she gets herself established.

Generic greetings to everybody else who might be ailing, or celebrating.

I'm logging off now, as I'm cream crackered, the stove is lit, and dinner is over, and a glass of port is calling (well it it the festive season after all).

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 3

Sounds and smells of cooking in the kitchen

Sounds of swearing in the living rooms as she completes sewing for a pressie to be delivered tomorrow

There will be sounds of swearing from the kitchen when she discovers what she has to clear up.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Premium

Decided to put the fire on tonight. I took a photo but it's a bit grainy.

post-27337-0-28800100-1482516887_thumb.jpeg

As you can see, we've put our stockings up too!

• Like 17

Well, Mrs went out first to finish the Christmas food shopping whilst I watched Whitney, then I was/am supposed to go out for a few last minute bits...

The light snow we are supposed to get amounting to 1-2 inches, has turned into a moderate snowfall so I may well not go after all

Picture shows/is considered light to moderate at best here, in the UK this would likely be considered an all out snow STORM!!! :O  :jester:

post-20244-0-55773200-1482517734_thumb.jpg

We'll see how it turns out, Jemma is due in/out around 6PM, then out again to Washington DC for overnight. Not expected to be much of a problem save having to de-ice the plane if there's precip...

• Like 17

Eyelids have been duly inspected. I've now been fed and watered so now I'm ready to do a bit of modelling this evening.

Rick - Kew Gardens is definitely going to be regularly on my visiting list after seeing what Sharon has achieved in Australia.

• Like 16