The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The weather forecast looks fair so a trot hobble bus ride into town is in prospect. I 'remembered' something else I had forgotten last time, tea and it looks as if what I have in stock will barely take me past the holidays. The events in Berlin are shocking, how anyone can imagine causing such pain and grief can further their cause is beyond me. Thats it for now, be back later.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Have a good holiday Chris and enjoy Switzerland as it is meant to be enjoyed - from a comfortable seat in a train.

We have just had a package delivered by Parcel Force and notwithstanding a label saying, boldly, 'No Signature Required' I had to sign for it - this presumably balances one received recently via some other carrier which I wasn't asked to sign for but which required a signature - just one of the wonders of Christmas shopping by remote ordering it would seem.

Very nasty job in Berlin and one can but wonder what the authorities, various, throughout Europe can really do to tackle the menace of nutters such as the perpetrator of this event - but the answer seems to be that they don't actually wish to tackle the root causes.  

On another note seeing Pete's comment about the difference between volunteer and paid services to mariners, including rescue at sea, all I would say is that the Coastguard service has seen a series of continuing drastic cuts in coverage with ever increasing centralisation of the continuously open monitoring/control offices and a lot of what were once full time manned smaller posts now covered by part time volunteers  (including one well known retailer of model railways as it happens).  With, also, virtually 100% automation of lighthouses etc the number of people physically watching over our coastline and shipping has been massively reduced in the past 30 years.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning form a sunny Surrey.

Walked  to the station early this morning (strike day 2 this week). We both got seats all the way as its starting to get quieter as we get nearer to the holiday weekend. Still coughing but think its easing very slowly. Hopefully it will clear by the weekends drinking activities.

Our last day at work is Thursday so I am planning on coming back into London hopefully for a beer in the Market Porter early in the morning then head off to do the new Chiltern service to Oxford using my Delay Repay vouchers.

Meanwhile a few days work left to do.

• Like 2

On another note seeing Pete's comment about the difference between volunteer and paid services to mariners, including rescue at sea, all I would say is that the Coastguard service has seen a series of continuing drastic cuts in coverage with ever increasing centralisation of the continuously open monitoring/control offices and a lot of what were once full time manned smaller posts now covered by part time volunteers  (including one well known retailer of model railways as it happens).  With, also, virtually 100% automation of lighthouses etc the number of people physically watching over our coastline and shipping has been massively reduced in the past 30 years.

Mike,

Yep. Sometimes you actually get exactly what you pay for.......

A little chillier, today.  -7C.  The cold air is now beginning to depart the East Coast and it will get increasingly milder (for the next week. at least). Sorry it’s heading towards Europe but it will be moderated by the Atlantic.

Later. Pete.

• Like 4

Not a lot!

The last thing we need is governmental control of the RNLI. Amalgamate with the Coast Guards at a time when the Government is making cuts to their funding? Definitely not. 

Thanks, It must be great to be always right.

Best, Pete.

Mind you, 'twas ever thus. I read in a history of the Great War (WWI) that while the British were relying on huge numbers of semi-skilled and unskilled workers in their shipyards - many of whom were barely literate and numerate, the Germans were employing the latest technology and skilled workers who had completed secondary and technische hochschule educations. A trivial factoid, perhaps, but who's selling - world wide - expensive and much sought after cars in 2017? Certainly not British Leyland. Both unions and management in the UK would do well to carefully study the German system (and German unions - like IG Metall aren't pussycats and German management a lot more pragmatic and realistic than their UK equivalent [not that either are without fault]).

Talk later!

iD

Sorry Doc, but that has upset me. These barely literate and numerate, semi- and unskilled and probably unionised people won two wars against the Germans. Efficiency is not everything.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Not a lot!

The last thing we need is governmental control of the RNLI. Amalgamate with the Coast Guards at a time when the Government is making cuts to their funding? Definitely not. 

I think there is a huge difference in the structuring and organization of the USGC and the UK Coastguard.

Compared to the USCG, UK Coastguard is a terribly underfunded runt, (no disrespect to the workforce who struggle on with the crumbs they are offered from central government) whilst the USCG is a fully armed force with fast patrol boats, larger ships as well as both fixed and rotary wing assets.

To be honest, with the massive contraction of the British armed forces over the past two decades, or so it would be a much better profile for our Royal Navy to follow.

However, my comments should not be taken as a slur on the RNLI, I think we are all very proud of their amazing record over the years and I have  now been a Shoreline member for over 30 years.

But isn't it amazing that such an organisation is funded entirely by the public.......................In fact when you look at all the other publicly funded air ambulances, hospices etc, you realise that the government bean counters must be rubbing their hands with glee.

• RMweb Gold

OK, so now i've got my ERs hat back on, I am now a much happier hippo.

We had a very good holiday and were able to take my mother out for her 81st birthday when we returned to the UK last Saturday.

I am now tasked with conservatory window cleaning, but having already done some ironing and cleaned out the kitchen fridge this morning, I am allowed some leeway.

I hasten to add that when I say cleaned out, I meant is was emptied, washed and refilled, and not the subject of a chewing, drinking and swallowing exercise.

An impromptu meeting of the OFMC took place in the kitchen yesterday evening and a plan was hatched to make some 7mm scale modular shunting planks:

Simply put, connecting two or more together using a common fiddle yard(s).

I now have the enviable task of drawing up the potential track plans and the dimension criteria for the baseboard heights etc.

It's suddenly gone very quiet................................

She's behind me, isn't she?

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Doc, but that has upset me. These barely literate and numerate, semi- and unskilled and probably unionised people won two wars against the Germans. Efficiency is not everything.

Ed

I would also add a great many weren't unskilled and barely numerate. School compulsory education came in in 1870, much of the working system in the UK then depended on Apprenticeship, you don't need degrees to hammer in rivets but you do need skill having worked your way up.

My grandfather completed his electrican Apprenticeship in 1919 in a Glasgow shipyard .

Being able to do exams does not make you a good worker, too many times over the years I have come across people who know their paper work but are B(12)(15)(15)(4)y useless at work.

I see the police is going the same way, you'll have a bunch of degree qualified paper superstars who will get bored stiff going out on patrol all day..

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, (Just)

Dry but dull here and that's the weather as well. There is a faint possibility of some bright or sunny spells this afternoon but I don't believe it.

Last night's Chinese takeaway never happened because our establishment of choice which is normally open 7 days a week was closed. According to their answerphone message they "were sorry but needed a day off for a break." Luckily the nearby fish & chip shop was open so we made do with that and very nice it was too. (My diet continues to go well  :whistle: )

A lazy day is planned by me with the most exciting thing being a haircut which should occupy at least 3 or 4 minutes.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edit because I managed to post before I finished.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Ed

It's also interesting to look at the outputs of their respective shipbuilding industries. We had an incredibly efficient naval programme that was able to produce 8 dreadnought style ships per year with all the long lead items such as armour plate and guns to fit them out. This is along with the necessary cruisers, destroyers and other support vessels. Thus capacity enabled us to maintain a very very effective blockade of Germany that had a major effect on their civilian population and morale. Thus after the battle of Jutland the British were still able to put an effective fleet of over 20 modern Dreadnoughts to sea within the next few days. New ships continued to join the Grand Fleet at regular intervals in succeeding years. By contrast Germany only managed to complete a few more capital ships in the rest of the war. I think they could be counted on one hand but don't have the exact info to hand. Yes the German ships were well built and proved to have very good damage control but there were never enough of them to threaten British control of the North Sea. There is a very interesting boo called 'The Battleship Builders' which examines the way that the British armaments industry achieved this superiority.

Jamie

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

To borrow a phrase "Ich bin ein Berliner"

In other news I'm with the usually-promulgated opinion-school that the RNLI does what it does best by remaining a volunteer body outside Government and therefore inherently free of micro-manipulation and funding cuts.  That they now also provide some beach lifeguards supplementing the numerous surf lifesaving clubs is an extension of their mission to save lives at sea.  

Coastwatch (formerly the Coastguard) has been cut by Government and is now a largely volunteer body also.  Several friends including the proprietor of one of our best-known retailers are or have been watch-keepers and have been instrumental in saving lives or averting catastrophe.  Westminster wanted to do away with physical watch-keeping suggesting that modern electronics would suffice.  Most seafarers, from inshore yachtsmen to trawler skippers, that I am aware of disagreed.  

And in other other news the Palace is as crazy busy as one might expect with summer school holidays coinciding with the last-week Christmas shopping rush.  Car park scuffles have been reported in any suburbs as people fight for spaces.  Today was a very pleasant 25C and sunny after a stormy night.  We had one minor skirmish between a cyclist and a taxi driver on the station rank and we had an emergency in the toilets with a nine-months pregnant woman complaining of severe abdominal pains.  She was removed by ambulance though they didn't suspect labour was imminent.  Taxi driver was dealt with by the police while cyclist went to first-aid to have his minor injuries dressed.

Christmas music of some variety is playing at home.  My iTunes playlist contains everything from church choirs angelically performing traditional carols to the Wombles wishing me a Wombling Merry Christmas!  Final cards and gifts dealt with.  First Christmas cards arrived this morning - the boat has obviously landed from home as the mailbox was stuffed full with British-stamped (or stickered) items!  Weather forecast for the entire four-day holiday is 35C and sunny.  

My final Christmas in Australia (so far as can be determined) is at last taking its warm and festive shape.  

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I clicked like for Gwiwer's post but I'm not sure about Wombles....

As an Ex Tesco maintenance man the chaos and stupidity of people during this week is always amazing. From people parking inside roofed trolley bays. Trying to park  and getting stuck on kerbed grass embankments. Parking in the way of the warehouse entrance, so the delivery lorries can't get in.

The occasional fight between parkers, and between shoppers. Then you get them coming in at stupid o'clock with screaming children sometimes all of them still in pajamas. We often had to put someone on point duty at the petrol station to stop shoppers blocking the petrol station and queues for the petrol station blockiing the store.

The stores only closed for 24 hours!!!

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon

I've finally had some work dispatched to my laptop, a quick schedule has been drawn up, so very soon I will make my escape!

Enjoy what's left of the rest of the day.

• Like 16

However, my comments should not be taken as a slur on the RNLI, I think we are all very proud of their amazing record over the years and I have  now been a Shoreline member for over 30 years.

You don’t have to add that. All of us here have supported the RNLI over the years, it’s a given as they say over here.

I’m not sure that  in it’s present state the Royal Navy would be particularly effective as a Coast Guard, sad to say. There appears to be confusion as to whether it should be a “long arm” of British interests or not. The view seems to change every week, alas.

Basically I agree with your post, however.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I too was surprised at the suggestion that working people from my grandparents generation had poor literacy and numeracy skills. Maternal Granny was born in 1888. She left school at age 12, though they must have packed a lot in as she was perfectly literate and could do vulgar and decimal fractions and could do financial calculations. My grandfather was a carpenter and seemed quite capable. I thought by 1900 in Britain there was a very high literacy rate.

As for Dreadnoughts...

I went on the USS Texas a few years ago. There was a lot of historical information about pre WW1 arms races. The US were in an arms race but with the British. As the Royal Navy "upgunned" or added armour so did the US Navy. As it was they ended up on the same side.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Just been visiting my favourite weather site, XCWeather, looking at the forecast for Saturday, as I have a long drive in the expected heavy traffic, the most wind I can expect is 20Mph and not that much rain. But I had a look at an old haunt, Benbecula, currently gusting 43mph they are, on Sunday, expecting an AVERAGE 78mph so that can be gusting 100+,  tie your hats on tight up North....

Edited by TheQ

Arrived back hame yesterday evening, a little sore and tired, but instructed to walk a little each day, then more the next and so on. Op was a success and discharged a little earlier than expected.

Mustn't lift anything other heavier than a glass/cup or mug.

Drat! That means I'll miss the Xmas cooking, washing-up, table-laying, vacuuming... and the same at Hogmanay...

Will scroll back through the posts later.

Have a good day

Mal

• RMweb Gold

I've done a bit of delving on the 'net (not Wiki!!) one figure shows that the literacy rate in Britain in 1870 was 76% - that of course was the year universal education was brought in so it might readily be expected to have climbed substantially after that.  Although it is shown, probably as a projection rather than formal data as just over 8)% at 1900 (while Germany, similarly probably a projection) is shown as c.75%.

The matter of labour skills as measured by output is a difficult one.  Britain had numerous yards engaged in warship construction until the end of WWI - a particular reason why shipbuilding was so severely hit in the late 1920s as many yards had concentrated exclusively on warships and had no civilian design and construction expertise to fall back on when the Royal Navy was seriously cut back by the Geddes 'axe'.  Simple comparison of hulls launched and fitted out during that war doesn't really work without taking into account the number of yards engaged in constructing dreadnought battleships and battle cruisers or able to take orders even if they would be delivered slowly - in Britain there were at least 8 privately owned yards plus two Royal Dockyards actively engaged in constructing battleships and battle cruisers between 1910 and 1921 yet I can find no record of a single dreadnought battleship being laid down during the whole of WWI although 13 were completed during that war and two others were seized from the builders when basically complete ready for export to Turkey - coming from a total of nine different yards.  One battle cruiser laid down pre-war was completed during the war while another five were laid down and completed (in about 18-20months each!) at 4 different yards during the war although a further 4 were laid down but the construction of three of them was suspended in Spring 1917 while the fourth was not completed until 1920.

The reason for not ordering more battleships seems fairly clear as they were taking an average of around 3 years to complete from being laid down plus they would be consuming a far greater quantity of amount plate than battle cruisers and no doubt existing orders were considered sufficient to meet fleet needs.  

In contrast the German Navy had only four battleships completed during the war which had been laid down pre-war while construction of another two was stopped before they were completed, no battleships were ordered during the war and one design which was considered was shelved before any vessels were ordered.  The situation with battlecruisers was little different - three which had been laid down pre-war were completed, a further four were laid down but only two of them were launched and they were never completed while a third class was designed  with three vessels laid down but they were all scrapped on the slipway.  The reason was not so much that German yards couldn't build such vessels but that the German Navy switched its emphasis to submarine warfare and wanted more submarines.  Interestingly, and for whatever reason, some of the German battlecruisers completed during the war took nearly twice as long to complete as similar vessels built in British yards.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

I had an email yesterday letting me know my Christmas present had arrived in a warehouse. So I thought I had better show Aditi a photo of what she had kindly chosen for me.

Matthew has genuinely asked for socks. I think Aditi wants cake.

Tony

• Like 18