The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A bit foggy here at the moment and it will be mainly cloudy but dry throughout the day.

I rarely wear jeans these days, I prefer cargo trousers with their extra pockets.

Although I have lost some weight (12 ozs this week!) my waist size is regrettably about 8 inches bigger than inside leg. (Note to self must try harder)

Further to that it appears when I was in Sainsbury's earlier this morning a couple of their "Cornish" pasties fell into my basket. That should help with the diet.  :whistle:

Need to sort out some paperwork this morning and then I may go and play with some trains.. Talking of trains I had an email from Hattons stating that a little blue item I have on order should be with them from Monday. Hopefully they will also get the little decoders for them as well as they are showing out of stock. 

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14

Am I the only one to find the Star Wars series unwatchable?

Best, Pete.

No. Not at all. They are a money spinner as you say. Similar is that wizardy thing. She promised "its the last book" since when there have been more books, 2 stage plays and a partridge in a pear tree

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Fist & mog as returned and while we can't see Boris's Winter (and Summer) Palace across the valley we can at least see across the road and just about to the other side of the next one.  I am informed that today is 'clear the dining room table day' which will carried out with the assistance of laddo as a sort of Sherpa porter to convey various items up the ladder to the higher reaches of the attic.

In the meanwhile, and albeit with a considerable difference in size from those we bought yesterday, I illustrate below what proper job pasties should look like.  These are from the kitchen of Mrs Stationmaster and are, of course, of proper Cornish heritage as the first three letters of her maiden surname were 'Tre..' and she descends from a long line of those with such a start to their surnames plus a branch of the Pellew family although she had the slight misfortune of being born a couple of miles on the English side of the big river.  And no carrot or mince has been anywhere near these culinary delights which for some reason (??) seem to disappear at a considerable rate whenever she makes them.

Have a good day one & all

post-6859-0-61511700-1481970097_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

You can get zip fly jeans very cheaply at Pennys in Ireland. They trade as Primark in the UK. Yes I know people turn their nose up at Primark/Pennys but I have always found their clothes very good value.

I have found M&S very reliable and lasting.

In the meanwhile, and albeit with a considerable difference in size from those we bought yesterday, I illustrate below what proper job pasties should look like.  These are from the kitchen of Mrs Stationmaster and are, of course, of proper Cornish heritage as the first three letters of her maiden surname were 'Tre..' and she descends from a long line of those with such a start to their surnames plus a branch of the Pellew family although she had the slight misfortune of being born a couple of miles on the English side of the big river.  And no carrot or mince has been anywhere near these culinary delights which for some reason (??) seem to disappear at a considerable rate whenever she makes them.

attachicon.gifDSCF9397.jpg

They look tres good Mike.

I have never thrown a pasty away until I bought one a couple of years ago and it contained peas. Whilst I eat peas they were just wrong!

• Like 2

Morning all. I am just in the process of dragging myself out of my pit after a disturbed night. Amber's vomiting antics from a few days ago has wrecked our duvet so we have been managing with a single duvet and a travel blanket until we can buy a replacement. Amber joined us last night, bringing her duvet with her and her cough! Her coughing meant a disturbed night with sleep being difficult. The cat did not help. Cat number three decided to lie on my side, and would not move. The result was a bad back this morning after trying to curl around him.

I spent much of yesterday in front of the laptop trying to get through some planning for next half term. Normally this would not be an issue, but it was heavy going this time around. Recent events and criticisms have left me questioning everything and, as a result, I did not get very far. I think at some point today I will be back in front of the laptop trying to make further progress.

Today Amber should have been off to a child's party at the same location as her party last week. We have decided to give that a miss though. The running around will not do her cough any good. Later we are due to go to my parent's for a pre Christmas family party. The jury is out on whether we will make that.

Moving onto the jeans debate. I also find buying them a bind. I do not mind which type of fly, but the fit becomes an issue. I used to be a consistent 32" waist, but after breaking my arm and stopping football my size crept up towards 34". Now I seem to have settled somewhere in between. Few shops do 33" waist jeans. As for the different fits regular, boot, wide, skinny etc..the mind boggles!

Baz thanks for the information on the model loco. It looks great. Kit building is well beyond my skills so I am very envious of those who can. My great uncle was a prolific scratch builder of 00 gauge models. He never had a layout, running them up and down a small shelf. When he and his wife moved into a warden controlled accommodation he downsized his collection, selling some through my dad's toy fair stall. I duely purchased his Stanier Mogul and Somerset and Dorset 7F. When he heard I had acquired two he then gifted a Standard 4 2-6-0 to me. This was is favourite model and he felt I would look after it more than his own son. One day I hope all three will run on a future layout of mine.

Have a good day all.

Morning all,

Fist & mog as returned and while we can't see Boris's Winter (and Summer) Palace across the valley we can at least see across the road and just about to the other side of the next one.  I am informed that today is 'clear the dining room table day' which will carried out with the assistance of laddo as a sort of Sherpa porter to convey various items up the ladder to the higher reaches of the attic.

Have a good day one & all

attachicon.gifDSCF9397.jpg

Mike, if I pm you my address can you pop a couple in the post?

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Chris, I shouldn't worry about Tandori causing 'volcanic eruptions' but it is very spicy. Tandori means oven and traditionally used to mean cooked in a clay oven (rather similar to a pizza oven). Pete, the reason for the leg/waist ratio changing must be the legs getting shorter, better be careful though or you will find that your legs might not reach the floor. :jester:  

Morning all. Just surfaced after a much needed good nights sleep.

It wasn't until I looked out of the window this morning that I realised how much old railway architecture surrounds me. I wish I'd brought my camera now.

Off into town in a while to do a bit of shopping and catch up with a few friends before a power nap to prepare for tonights festive occasion.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Foggy first thing, but it has now started to clear, I'm off to spend an hour or three in the workshop, I may be some time.

Back later

• Like 15

Am I the only one to find the Star Wars series unwatchable?

Certainly not! Did glimpse a bit of it once but wasn't impressed!

Much to the amusement of my colleagues, whilst I understand the concept of R2D2 and C3PO and May 4th, I ain't got a scoobie as to what they're talking about in this area!

No. Not at all. They are a money spinner as you say. Similar is that wizardy thing. She promised "its the last book" since when there have been more books, 2 stage plays and a partridge in a pear tree

Money spinner indeed! Now. Miss Moneypenny, why are Bond books / films still coming out long after Ian Fleming's demise?

Regarding the wizardy thing, far too much hype.

Even lost the plot with Discworld after about book 13 (although they were all Pratchett!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning, late night last night, to much food and drink consumed I think, a quiet afternoon beckons.

Still foggy outside at this time, roll on the 21st ie the shortest day.

Enjoy what your doing

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Just checking in safe home from the Saturday-night-before-Christmas shift.  The scores: three assaults (none on staff this time but very unfortunate for the innocent parties), two arrests (one being the assaulter), one police member downed (and swiftly upped again by his colleagues) and one complete street closure with multiple emergency vehicles attending a gang brawl.  Uncommonly, but thankfully, the train ride home was uneventful.

Earlier we popped over to the neighbours (actually three houses round but we're all around the top of a court, cul-de-sac, close or what ever you care to call it) for breakfast which became a Buck's Fizz breakfast to farewell Mr. neighbour senior.  I don't enjoy champoo at the best of times and with duty calling was happy to confine myself to the Buck's without any Fizz.  A most convivial couple of hours.  Our next appointment with the whole family is in London some time next year.

Tomorrow (Sunday) it's my turn to cook breakfast then we have to wade through some paperwork in connection with Sharon's visa in order that the electronic response is correctly submitted for their immediate attention.  One more late shift at the Palace then I can have Moan-day to rest up!

Back soon.  Sleep callzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 18

Evening all from Estuary-Land.

Thanks for that Shortliner, I've ordered a couple of pairs though the offer seems to have changed to £20 each or two for £30 so I ordered two pairs. I notice that they also stock gilets, something that seems to be hard to find in the local shops so I'm going to have a look later on.

Phil - no problem at all - If you placed an order through the Inter-webby netty-thingy, you may well find that you end up on their mailing list - whilst this may sound awful - their posted catalogues and frequent offers are worth a look, and they also send vouchers (usable through the internet) like " 20% off until....." and similar - and also offers through emails - we have discovered that these can be very good offers and worth having - so you may find that more are forthcoming, and they can always be filed in Bin13 if they are not needed - my lady has been using them for years, and won't order from any other calalogue supplier.

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO having done her usual trick with the corned beef tin breaking the key it was shoved in my direction, it's amazing what you can do with a pair of scissors and brute strength.  :butcher:

Bob 1 Corned beef tin 0

post-8647-0-47814600-1481984921_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

SWMBO having done her usual trick with the corned beef tin breaking the key it was shoved in my direction, it's amazing what you can do with a pair of scissors and brute strength.  :butcher:

Bob 1 Corned beef tin 0

attachicon.gif001.jpg

When I saw the signature of Bob and the photo and the tool, I must admit I shuddered.

Then I realised which Bob, and breathed again 

:jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When I saw the signature of Bob and the photo and the tool, I must admit I shuddered.

The other Bob is my Railway Exhibition Buddy, I had the pleasure of visiting the scene of many of his accidents last week and it's a tight fit crawling under his railway.   

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Bob 1 Corned beef tin 0

attachicon.gif001.jpg

Nooooo, I wouldn't use scissors. Hammer and chisel would be my preferred method. :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, a dreich day again, the sun only condescended to turn up 30 minutes before sunset as I was packing up.

The day has been spent slowly working on the shed extension, for some reason I was feeling knackered before I started. First I've been busy with expanding foam and silicon sealant making it water tight to horizontal rain.

I then laid the foundation blocks and then a decking floor on top of that, well not quite, after the blocks I did some more insulation as a recovery time before the floor.

The floor is secure and I'm happier than I expected with it. So now, I've started fitting the framework for the walls. With something happening next weekend it'll be a fortnight before further work.

There is a nice smell dominating from the kitchen , sadly no pasties but time to go and eat. Bye...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18