The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Sherry had the 1.4 engine in her previous Fiesta - the new one has the 1litre turbo and is night-and-day more performing and more economical. Engines have suddenly evolved. I am hoping to be equally impressed with the 0.9 litre in the Clio estate I have on order.

Aditi had the Renault 1.6 8v engine in her 1998 Clio. The 1.4 16 v in her Fiesta is quite nippy compared to the old Clio. My Land Rover isnt too fast from a standing start but is quite quick once rolling. Aditi doesn't like me putting the gear selector into "sports" mode as it sounds aggressive!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It's been a quite night here, Sheila has been out with here Zumba friends, but I got to play taxi driver, dropping her off at the restaurant and then picking her and a couple of friends up when it was all over, I just had to wait for the text. Whilst she was out I finished off the knobs I painted this morning and refitted them to the hall cupboard, so tomorrow I've got no tasks to complete, so the day is mine!

I think I'll cash in all the brownie points earned this week :-)

Goodnight all.

• Like 7

We went to see local Christmas lights this afternoon. We got there too early - they weren't switched on yet - so we went for a drive round some neighbourhoods we don't often see. We got to see some natural light displays with an orange sun going down in a clear sky. I couldn't stop on the road because it was just two plowed lanes and there was traffic right behind us, but I did get a few photos of the sun through snowy trees:

attachicon.gifIMG_1111.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1113.JPG

Then back to the artificial lights, which had been switched on by now:

attachicon.gifIMG_1114.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1126.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1128.JPG

Christmas lights here are still  a bit of a "work in progress".

post-25691-0-38889100-1481868333_thumb.jpg

I managed to attach a lanyard to the top of that tree (it's about 35 feet tall) and haul a string of lights all the way to the top, but it's going to take quite a few more strings of lights and a lot of rearranging to make it look half-presentable.

• Like 14

Good morning one and all

I bought a pair of cords yesterday.  I cannot remember the last time I did that.  The objective had been a new pair of jeans but those in Primark in my size only had button flies and my fingers are no nimbler than they were.  Today, following the rediscovery of an almost out-of-date voucher for £6 whilst looking for something else, I will try and find some additional underwear.  What I need to take with me on holiday is pretty much assembled now and, thank goodness, fits in the new suitcase.  Between now and Tuesday afternoon there are bound to be a few "ooh, must pack that" moments.  It just won't be the same otherwise.

I also need to do a fodder run today as I will be in London tomorrow and will need something for Sunday lunch that is not just plucked from the freezer.  Later today there will be ironing.  Joy to the world [that is seasonal, isn't it?].

Before I move on to the wisdom posted elsewhere, warm thoughts to the lonely and depressed, to all travellers and to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving and missing.  This post has been the most typo-infested for some time but, I hope, all is now corrected to expunge the bursts of fluent Crabtree.  What was I saying about nimble fingers?

Chris

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,e

Dry here but a cloudy day forecast with the occasional sunny interval.

Yesterday was a good day as my track is now ballasted! I also finished off running in my new A4 and Terrier and can now think about building the station platforms and doing some scenic work.

I managed to make a small addition to the shopping as well when a rather nice looking piece of fillet steak found itself in our trolley. This is for me tomorrow as The Boss is going out for a Christmas meal with workmates. Due to circumstances beyond my control my usual pre Christmas meet with old workmates will not happen. We're hoping to do it in January.

Chris has just (rather sarcastically) asked if she can make an appointment to speak to me regarding arrangements for the festivities as I seem to be rather tied up doing other (more important things) on here and dealing with model railway issues etc. Knowing her I envisage this will take up quite a while.  :whistle:

Have a good one, 

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Slightly below zero outside but the sun seems to be fighting through at least. I do concur that clear skies and sunshine with frost beat mellow dreichitude any day!

20161215-_dsc0754x3k15.jpg

Last night was quite crisp and cool as well, with 1230 "Bochum" at the Schillerplatz loop in Markkleeberg.

Ahead of my shift today, I'm booked on an interview for a project currently ongoing in the company, aimed at finding ways and means for reducing stress and improving workplace satisfaction for driving staff. We shall see what may become of it but with traffic volumes continuing to grow, ensuring health and indeed sanity among us will certainly be of prime importance.

The interview will be with a psychologist doubling as tram driver on a part-time basis, so I guess he will, to some degree at least, be doing this job out of personal fascination. I'll certainly be interested as to what he may relate from his experience.

The project will also entail this colleague riding along with me some time early next year (probably) so that I can discuss any situations I might have perceived as being difficult during a debriefing.

Later, folks…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, on this dreich day, I'm late on parade because of the doctors appointment being somewhat later than work.

As I put the ashes out from the fire, the geese were flying over, they are very noisy. They stay overnight in the fields around the broads and in the morning fly out to the coast over us, then fly up the coast to feed on the mud flats / marshes. The flight time is modified a bit by the state of the tide. Sometimes they'll stop off when they see an interesting field, They were on the recently harvested beet Fields eating the chippings left over the other day.

After much discussion it's been decided we are going to Gt Yarmouth after the docs

See you later after the prodding...

The interview will be with a psychologist doubling as tram driver on a part-time basis, so I guess he will, to some degree at least, be doing this job out of personal fascination. I'll certainly be interested as to what he may relate from his experience.

The project will also entail this colleague riding along with me some time early next year (probably) so that I can discuss any situations I might have perceived as being difficult during a debriefing.

That's a novel, and rather forward looking concept.

• Like 1

Morning all. If my knowledge is correct, the page number - 5509 - matches a steam locomotive named after our old local regiment " The Derbyshire Yeomanry". It has sadly passed into history as has the public house that carried the same name. My parents had their wedding reception there. Anyone wishing to stage a similar event in the building would have to make do with a Big Mac and fries since the building is now a drive through McDonalds.

Here in this small area of Derbyshire I am still in bed. I definitely made the correct decision, health wise, to not go on today. I am just awaiting the first of what, will surely be, a load of emails from the boss. The last request arrived at just before 10pm last night. I am sure there will be plenty more today.

Great to her Grandad Bob had managed to make some modelling progress. Perhaps he could post some pictures. Have a good day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Remember to make sure to seal the transaction with a kiss, otherwise you risk loosing said brownie points instantly w/o recompense! ;)

DONE!

• Like 14

Last night's Christmas Lights in Boston, UK were, as expected, a dismal sight.

Despite being a late night opening for shopping, most places were shut including our little branch of 'Next'.

And the bin-emptying charge for 2017/18 is going up by 3%.

Another recession year approaches, methinks !