The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good time at Mamma Mia last night with a big cast. Good singers and dancers. Think the Edinburgh Playhouse is the largest theatre outside London in the UK with just over 3,000 seats. Not a sell-out, but almost full. A nuisance taking my mum home in her wheelchair was the number of black cab drivers who refused to carry a wheelchair. Got one on the 12th attempt.

Eldest son was stung on the back of the neck yesterday by a wasp - never heard of wasps about in mid-December here, they've usually seen their last by October and certainly November. Who says there's no such thing as climate change?

Am due in hospital tomorrow by 7am for stomach hernia op; expected home in 5-ish days, so will probably be out of contact until next week.

Before that will pop into the cinema to see Rogue One; for some reason I keep referring to it as Rogue Traders, but it could be if it took place in the Tatooine Cantina...

Hope all goes well for everyone

Mal

He wouldn't have lasted very long driving for me!. . . .He should be ashamed of himself..

I don't suppose you thought to get plate/licence numbers? Those who refused probably violated local by-laws. and should be dealt with.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I woke up at 7 this morning, rolled over and didn't wake again until 8:15 so still a bit bleary-eyed. Made an interesting discovery last night. Measuring up items to see if they fit in to my trailer it turns out that the floor area and dimensions are exactly the same as two A1 sized paper (A0?), just over 105 cm. long and approx. 84 cm. wide. Discussions were taking place earlier last night re. a new club layout and transport arrangements especially when the one member who has a van is not available. It requires a bit of jiggling about to get even the smallest layouts into some cars so I will offer them the use of my trailer as transport. Even if I am not available some other members have cars fitted with tow hooks so that shouldn't be a problem. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Just heard on the news that for anyone travelling on the M3 southbound Fleet Services is closed due to a fire.

https://twitter.com/HantsPolRoads?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Have a good one,

Bob.

I thought I could smell smoke in the early hours still it was in need of refurbishment I just hope there were no injuries. 

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

My earlier post seems to have been committed to some hidden Android cyberspace. I did wonder if Robert also needed a new iron, perhaps a sticky thermostat caused the problem.

AndyB's civil service comment amused me as Matthew was rejected by the Civil Service as he wasn't a quick thinker preferring to be correct instead. Apparently the Civil Service only recruits those who make make decisions rapidly. I was surprised to learn that.

I recently purchased a Wickham Trolley. I was amazed to see how tiny it is. I have seem the thread where brave people have shown their decoder fitting methods. The decoder I ordered is really tiny and should fit as long as I don't drop it and lose it in the carpet. I won't do it today though. My brain can just about cope with some shopping and taking Robbie for a walk. When Matthew is home we seem to need industrial quantities of tomatoes, milk and peanut butter.

Tony

Good time at Mamma Mia last night with a big cast. Good singers and dancers. Think the Edinburgh Playhouse is the largest theatre outside London in the UK with just over 3,000 seats. Not a sell-out, but almost full. A nuisance taking my mum home in her wheelchair was the number of black cab drivers who refused to carry a wheelchair. Got one on the 12th attempt.

Eldest son was stung on the back of the neck yesterday by a wasp - never heard of wasps about in mid-December here, they've usually seen their last by October and certainly November. Who says there's no such thing as climate change?

Am due in hospital tomorrow by 7am for stomach hernia op; expected home in 5-ish days, so will probably be out of contact until next week.

Before that will pop into the cinema to see Rogue One; for some reason I keep referring to it as Rogue Traders, but it could be if it took place in the Tatooine Cantina...

Hope all goes well for everyone

Mal

Trust your op goes well, Mal!

Yesterday in upstate New York a young teenage boy was killed in a snow bank by the side of the road. Collapsed on top of him and a friend who survived in an air pocket. The collapse was thought to be caused by a snow plow piling on more snow. The poor driver didn’t’ see them - and he was a Fireman too. The chap is in “shock”.

I bet his devastated parents wished it was warmer.  Pretty cold here but not as much as in Ian’s neck of the woods.

Best, Pete.

Morning all (it was when I started reading through from my last post on here). A hectic nights work that started badly thanks to traffic. 3.5 hours to get to Watford. Unfortunately the job hasn't gone to plan and I'm back there later and it could be a long night.

This also means that I won't be able to get to the club tonight. Second week in a row.

Mal - Good luck for the op and hope to see you back here soon

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Gold

Enjoying (?) the slowest Eurostar trip in ages. Just arriving at Ashford 45' late. We left Gare du Nord almost 30' late, held due to a preceding TGV hitting an animal. As a result I have seen the delights of Arras, not on the TGV network!

This will prevent me from catching my intended service from Padlington, and thus being met by Sherry. She will have gone to the theatre for tonight's performance by the time I reach Torbay.

Just passed a pair of Class 67s sandwiching a lot of heritage Pullmans.

Hope your day more on target than mine.

What day are you going home Ian?

High Wind Watch on Thursday night (Wind advisory during day) 50 Kt gusts - with an increase in moist air expect persistent snow showers over City and Long Island, possibility of widespread power outages with a temperature of -8C - I dunno what the windchill factor is. I agree about the World is ending shite even NOAA get in on it nowadays.

I can remember  -12C in Essex (England) yonks when I was a kid, BR was suffering a strike and waiting for a bus in Shenfield my boots stuck to the pavement... It don’t usually get much below 0f ( -17C ) in Jersey in January

Nothing you hearty Minnesotan types should worry about.

Best, Pete.

Fortunately headed home today (Thursday) Pete, and watching the aviation weather as a result.

Still appears to be that whilst there'll be no precip by the time I leave the winds are going to be high enough for JFK to be a major pain in the rear as they'll be more limited with runway useage and required increased separation issues - side note for those wondering; high winds, even nominally on the runway heading, increase the possibilities of go-arounds as there are greater chances for unstable approach situations with gusting etc. Jemma has noted there are always more go-around calls into high wind situations than low visibility.

Indeed the weather will be far more "exceptional" once I'm home, currently -23 with a high of -16 around the time I arrive. Warmer tomorrow some, then it "gets cold".  We're supposed to get 5-8 inches of snow overnight Friday and into Saturday with highs of -14 Saturday and -23 Sunday, respective lows forecast -14, -31 and  -26  for Friday, Sat, Sun.

We might be considered "hardy" there, but mostly we're sensible, and bloody stay INSIDE once it starts getting that cold :rtfm:  :jester:

Morning all, POE for me today, heading back home this afternoon and won't be back to Long Island the dungeon until the second week of January - YAY!

More scurrying around yesterday, but still not reached fever pitch here, let's face it there's still a full TWO DAYS to go before their monthly financials are due to be presented to the board - that probably means panic/change requirements will set in about an hour after I leave here :O

I'm wondering if the NYC ABC morning team (Good Morning America) and its local ABC affiliate might be reading RMWeb... this morning they actually were LESS panic-stricken about the weather. Did they read my post from yesterday? :jester:

I have some good news to share, but will keep you all in suspense until I get home and review the situation myself as the "news" needs probably another 24-hours to stabilize. :secret:

-2 driving in (-4 at JFK) with wind chills around -4 to -7 respectively.

Hoping to carpe airplane, and hope everyone has a similarly successful day...

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Enjoying (?) the slowest Eurostar trip in ages. Just arriving at Ashford 45' late. We left Gare du Nord almost 30' late, held due to a preceding TGV hitting an animal. As a result I have seen the delights of Arras, not on the TGV network!

This will prevent me from catching my intended service from Padlington, and thus being met by Sherry. She will have gone to the theatre for tonight's performance by the time I reach Torbay.

Just passed a pair of Class 67s sandwiching a lot of heritage Pullmans.

Hope your day more on target than mine.

It can only be the Belmond Pullman set with DBC 67's Thankfully they won't let Death Coast Railways near them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Finally caught up, so generic greetings are on offer.

Not a lot to report today, except that 30747 has a mega-stinker of a cold, so no doubt it's headed in my direction now.  I forgot to say that fangmeister has decreed that a large filling is breaking down, and I will need to revisit in January - luckily it doesn't seem to be troubling me.  Oddly, it would be cheaper if it were, as an emergency treatment (even a filling) is cheaper than a band 1 treatment on the NHS (which luckily our dentist still subscrobes to)

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

Thanks for all of the supportives, everyone!

Just to say that I reckon Rogue One is the best Stars Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back - no spoilers here, good escapist stuff to take my mind off things for two hours fifteen mins, but good to see some old friends and a sarky droid. Lots of action, some great flying, sadly street fighting rebels took me to the horrors of Aleppo for a bit longer than a moment. But if you like Stars Wars, you'll love this.

Back in a week

Mal

• Like 5

I expect many of you will have seen this on FB already but it is pretty good.

Please be advised that all members planning to dash through the snow in a one-horse open sleigh, going over the fields and laughing all the way are required to undergo a Risk Assessment addressing the safety of open sleighs. This assessment must also consider whether it is appropriate to use only one horse for such a venture, particularly where there are multiple passengers. Please note that permission must also be obtained in writing from landowners before their fields may be entered. To avoid offending those not participating in celebrations, we request that laughter is moderate only and not loud enough to be considered a noise nuisance.

Benches, stools and orthopedic chairs are now available for collection by any shepherds planning or required to watch their flocks at night.

While provision has also been made for remote monitoring of flocks by CCTV cameras from a centrally heated shepherd observation hut, all facility users are reminded that an emergency response plan must be submitted to account for known risks to the flocks. The angel of the Lord is additionally reminded that prior to shining his/her glory all around s/he must confirm that all shepherds are wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment to account for the harmful effects of UVA, UVB and the overwhelming effects of Glory.

Following last year’s well publicised case, everyone is advised that EC legislation prohibits any comment with regard to the redness of any part of Mr. R. Reindeer. Further to this, exclusion of Mr. R Reindeer from reindeer games will be considered discriminatory and disciplinary action will be taken against those found guilty of this offence.

While it is acknowledged that gift-bearing is commonly practised in various parts of the world, everyone is reminded that the bearing of gifts is subject to Hospitality Guidelines and all gifts must be registered. This applies regardless of the individual, even royal personages. It is particularly noted that direct gifts of currency or gold are specifically precluded under provisions of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Further, caution is advised regarding other common gifts, such as aromatic resins that may initiate allergic reactions.

Finally, in the recent case of the infant found tucked up in a manger without any crib for a bed, Social Services have been advised and will be arriving shortly.

Compliance of these guidelines is advised in order for you to fully participate with the festive spirit.

Cheers

Risk Management Team

• Like 14

Evening all. My apologies for being away for a few days and missing out on the latest events. Best wishes to Mal who I see is facing an op. Hope all goes well.

My time away has not been great. I have come down with another cold type bug that has hampered me all week. I struggled through the three Christmas performances on Monday. In the evening we needed a stand in Lead Angel after the parents of the original incumbent decided not to bring their child back for the evening showing. The replacement, with only a brief practice, produced a better performance than the child they replaced.

On Tuesday my voice had just about disappeared. It was Amber's birthday and I crashed out shortly after she went to bed. Yesterday I ran the school whilst most of the staff were out on a full day trip. Sarah was out all evening at the Forest match, she was staying over at her mum's afterwards as she had an appointment in Nottingham this morning. As I was on planning time this morning I was due to take Amber to school before heading into work in the afternoon. Neither of us made it. Amber was not well when I collected her from my parent's and decided to throw up all over our bedroom at 11.30pm last night. I had a vomiting spell too. As a result neither of us were at our various schools today. Guess which school was most understanding? Correct...not mine! A couple of challenging emails received during the day did little to help my mood. I somehow think the head may be wondering if I am pulling a sickie. (I am not).

As for the other job....interviews are tomorrow, but I will not be there. No word, means no shortlisting. I may contact them in the new year for feedback, but I guess it will be my lack of experience in the upper years will have proved my undoing.

Had a look online today, but nothing else out there at present.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, that's tough not to get shortlisted.

But the positive thing is that you'll be going on Christmas holiday with a job to go back to, albeit one that can be somewhat testing.

Sure get the feedback and see if you can fill any gaps and apply again. 

Enjoy your break.  

• RMweb Premium

You should have bought another Focus diesel estate. We are now on our third one, the first two both covered nearly 200,000 miles in just over seven years. Economical, good looking and loads of carrying space.

There weren't any around for the money I had.  Don't forget here on a small island choice is limited and bringing cars from across fraught with difficulties.  It had done over 150k, was still economical (1.8TDCi) and worn out suspension! I found the newer 1.6 diesels a bit poor in comparison with the 1.8. The B-Max is almost as economical, gutless in comparison (1.4 petrol) but has much better suspension at only 25k.  It is an OK drive, very spacious and useful with the missing b-pillar allowing unrealistic loads to be fitted inside!  We also have a 2L HDi Picasso so have plenty load lugging ability, plus the van of course.

PS - No Dual Mass Flywheels to cost a grand to fix either..... :O  :triniti:

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Gold

I expect many of you will have seen this on FB already but it is pretty good.

Please be advised that all members planning to dash through the snow in a one-horse open sleigh, going over the fields and laughing all the way are required to undergo a Risk Assessment addressing the safety of open sleighs. This assessment must also consider whether it is appropriate to use only one horse for such a venture, particularly where there are multiple passengers. Please note that permission must also be obtained in writing from landowners before their fields may be entered. To avoid offending those not participating in celebrations, we request that laughter is moderate only and not loud enough to be considered a noise nuisance.

Benches, stools and orthopedic chairs are now available for collection by any shepherds planning or required to watch their flocks at night.

While provision has also been made for remote monitoring of flocks by CCTV cameras from a centrally heated shepherd observation hut, all facility users are reminded that an emergency response plan must be submitted to account for known risks to the flocks. The angel of the Lord is additionally reminded that prior to shining his/her glory all around s/he must confirm that all shepherds are wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment to account for the harmful effects of UVA, UVB and the overwhelming effects of Glory.

Following last year’s well publicised case, everyone is advised that EC legislation prohibits any comment with regard to the redness of any part of Mr. R. Reindeer. Further to this, exclusion of Mr. R Reindeer from reindeer games will be considered discriminatory and disciplinary action will be taken against those found guilty of this offence.

While it is acknowledged that gift-bearing is commonly practised in various parts of the world, everyone is reminded that the bearing of gifts is subject to Hospitality Guidelines and all gifts must be registered. This applies regardless of the individual, even royal personages. It is particularly noted that direct gifts of currency or gold are specifically precluded under provisions of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Further, caution is advised regarding other common gifts, such as aromatic resins that may initiate allergic reactions.

Finally, in the recent case of the infant found tucked up in a manger without any crib for a bed, Social Services have been advised and will be arriving shortly.

Compliance of these guidelines is advised in order for you to fully participate with the festive spirit.

Cheers

Risk Management Team

Actually if the birth of Jesus were happening today none of the participants would be able to get to Bethlehem due to the big wall erected by the Israeli government.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There weren't any around for the money I had.  Don't forget here on a small island choice is limited and bringing cars from across fraught with difficulties.  It had done over 150k, was still economical (1.8TDCi) and worn out suspension! I found the newer 1.6 diesels a bit poor in comparison with the 1.8. The B-Max is almost as economical, gutless in comparison (1.4 petrol) but has much better suspension at only 25k.  It is an OK drive, very spacious and useful with the missing b-pillar allowing unrealistic loads to be fitted inside!  We also have a 2L HDi Picasso so have plenty load lugging ability, plus the van of course.

PS - No Dual Mass Flywheels to cost a grand to fix either..... :O  :triniti:

Sherry had the 1.4 engine in her previous Fiesta - the new one has the 1litre turbo and is night-and-day more performing and more economical. Engines have suddenly evolved. I am hoping to be equally impressed with the 0.9 litre in the Clio estate I have on order.
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

They're very delicate, Ian (the Ecoboost engine).  The slightest overheat and they are scrap - lot of talk on the forums about them. Good when they're going, but long term reliability is dubious. (100k miles plus - which all our cars do!) Decided to go for the safer high mileage option!  45+ mpg regularly on my commute, happy with that.  Miss the torque of the diesel though.