The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 inches of snow so far, with more forecast for the next couple of days. Then it gets cold - minus11C forecast for Friday night. Long term forecast is for this cold to stay around till the middle of January.

attachicon.gifIMG_1099.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1100.JPG

What are they doing to us? This is Vancouver - we can't cope with this! 

It's going to have a dreadful effect on your local cash crops (wink, wink - say no more).

Not so much snow here, and fortunately it's light and fluffy because it's so cold. However, they say it's going to drop to zero (F) next week. I can't be bothered converting that into C, but either way, it's FFFFing cold.

• RMweb Premium

Wimps! Try Arizona for a couple of years.

"Welcome to the Valley of the Sun" they said, and they weren't kidding.

54C is the hottest I have officially experienced.  I reckon allowing for open-air versus shade (not that there was any shade) temperature it was a few more.  That's 130F on the scale more commonly used by Arizona ;)

• Like 6

54C is the hottest I have officially experienced.  I reckon allowing for open-air versus shade (not that there was any shade) temperature it was a few more.  That's 130F on the scale more commonly used by Arizona ;)

The average high in Phoenix is way beyond Melbourne. If you were in Alice Springs I might be more sympathetic.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That list is familiar to me having worked in Saudi, except the beer cans...to work on a car you put the tools in a bucket of cold water or you couldn't pick them up.

When we spent some days loading equipment into packing cases too big to go in the building, we put a thermometer on a chair behind a crate so out of the direct sun. It went off its scale 70C!!!! We were surrounded by a huge area of tarmac and concrete....

A day spent outside meant drinking A two gallon (USA gallons) of lemon ice water and still weighing less when you come inside at the end of the day.

It's a place where changing your overalls half a dozen times a day is not considered unusual!!

It's also a place where you see the pigeons sat in a neat row on the road, one sat each under the shade of the head of each street light.

The "offical" temperature doesn't go over 50C as then you can stop work.

Edited by TheQ

Good morning one and all

The new meds have been retrieved successfully and joined by some tiny Vitamin D tablets.  I now need to repack my travelling medicine chest prior to beginning the packing process for my seasonal holiday.  A new suitcase awaits its first contents and the battering that being loaded on and off a Eurostar will bring.  Despite there being over a week before departure the final ramming and squeezing is bound to be rushed because it always is.

Today should be relatively tranquil.  I need to do a bit of prepping for Tuesday's lunch but apart from that the major event of the day will be boiling up the beef stew again for there is plenty left.  Tomorrow I have a meeting at the Ace Cafe near Stonebridge Park.  It is a small gathering of railway photographers so what, one might ask, am I doing there?  Well, I have been invited and I prefer not to decline invitations.  Let us hope that Thameslink and London Overground behave long enough for me to get there and back.

Warm thoughts to the lonely and depressed, to all travellers, to Kelly and Richard on their engagement and to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving and missing.

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Delighted to hear Kelly is engaged. Not every couple bother these days. It's about commitment.

Mention of Gresley & Wychnor reminds me that Andy P and Peter BB are members. Their stellar trip across country to Jock's funeral on all our behalfs will not be forgotten.

The fog never really lifted yesterday. We are about 120 miles from Paris, but evidently air quality there is dire, no doubt for the same reason. Public transport being made free tells its own story. I can't remember when it last rained, which is weird for this time of year.

Sherry having seen the surgeon on Monday, and been told her op would be 3rd January, she was mildly surprised to get a letter saying it will now be the 12th. After New Year in Torquay, I will nip home for a few days before going back to be nursey. That should enable me to take delivery of the new car, and get it insured.

I hope your weekend going well.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Congratulation to Kelly & Richard.

Should be a dry day with some sunshine,  with luck.

Rugby duly found and watched yesterday, Leicester got "Munstered" and Saracens smashed Sale.

Did the domestic stuff requested as well. I had to really because it was mainly moving my "railway stuff" that had migrated from the correct location to other rooms in the house.

Today I will be visiting the Bexley show with Bob 81C. I have managed to find some tokens for my wallet just in case I see something I really "need".

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations Kelly and Richard.

Her indoors has decided we need to be awake. She has made us a pot of tea, and I am now partaking of a mug of tea.

This afternoon we are undertaking some Scorer assessments. The last ones before a new process is brought into use on January 1st. Life, for a volunteer, is getting overly complicated.

Have a great day and wishing everyone well(particularly those enjoying extremes of temperature and weather)

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Fairly gloomy outside, and windy. Yeuch. But on the up side, congratulations to Kelly, and all the best for the two of you! :yes:

I admit my sleep hasn't been that good in recent weeks for unknown reasons and was so poor on Friday/Saturday night that I stayed off work due to obvious safety concerns. Going to see my doc on Monday to discuss options to help me sleep through (falling asleep isn't much of a problem, though) which I'm sure you can tell is quite crucial in my line of work.

Other than that, we have pretty much all presents accounted for, and so can avoid the shopping madness that's going on in the city these days. Thank the Universe…

Also going to pick some kale for dinner later as we found a nice recipe for a kale quiche with smoked sausage (which is a modification I suggested) and cheddar which we wanted to try.

Enjoy what you do, everyone…

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Congratulations to Kelly and Richard.

Dull and damp out though it isn't cold.

I don't usually go shopping on a Sunday unless we are collecting a click and collect purchase but coffee bean levels are at a perilously low level. I could cope but Aditi might not.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Fairly gloomy outside, and windy. Yeuch. But on the up side, congratulations to Kelly, and all the best for the two of you! :yes:

I admit my sleep hasn't been that good in recent weeks for unknown reasons and was so poor on Friday/Saturday night that I stayed off work due to obvious safety concerns. Going to see my doc on Monday to discuss options to help me sleep through (falling asleep isn't much of a problem, though) which I'm sure you can tell is quite crucial in my line of work.

Other than that, we have pretty much all presents accounted for, and so can avoid the shopping madness that's going on in the city these days. Thank the Universe…

Also going to pick some kale for dinner later as we found a nice recipe for a kale quiche with smoked sausage (which is a modification I suggested) and cheddar which we wanted to try.

Enjoy what you do, everyone…

As a survivor of 30 years of shiftwork sleep was very important to me.  I found that once I was past 4o it got harder.  I resorted to all sorts of things such as a blackout blind behind the curtains, earplugs, an eyeshade and an over the counter med called Nightol in England were all things that I tried, they did work to a point.  They then put us onto a shift pattern called Ottowa where we never worked more than 2 days on the same shift, 2 earlies, 2 lates and 2 nights.  It was all to do with circadian rhythms IIRC and did seem to work.  However I wish you well Dom.  In your job it must be terrible to feel that you are on the verge of falling asleep.  I found that when I got promoted to somewhere 17 miles away and the shifts ended at 7am rather than 6am so I had the motorway commute in heavy traffic with the window wide open (in mid winter) and the tape player at full volume, trying desperately to stay awake.   Fortunately I survived. I wish you well.

I was thinking more of the suspender belts.

It's whether or not the seams would be straight enough to pass muster that worries me.

Anyway morning all from a slightly cloudy and cool Charente.   It has been very sunny and warm over the past week with no wind and no rain.    Half the kitchen is now painted and hopefully later today I can start putting up fittings for the new lights which are the ones that fit between two wires that stretch across the room.   Some templates need to be made for drilling.   However first off we are going to the local market about 10 miles away.   I might even start work on some coach sides.   However I am becoming increasingly distracted by the news that Finney duchesses are going to be available again in the spring.  I must tell my thoughts to behave.

Congratulations to Kelly and Richard and felicitations to all others where ever you are on life's great unfolding adventure into the unknown.

Jamie

• Like 18

Morning all. Another good nights sleep which now means that I feel even more tired.

A quick pack up of the room before heading back to help at the Mince Pie weekend. Once that finishes. a quick trip to Wolverhampton in preparation for tomorrows work

Have a good day everyone

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Congrats to Kelly and Richard.   And it's bright & sunny here - which will no doubt be good for the town's 'Christmas Shopping Day' so a good reason to steer clear although herself and her friend were dragged round numerous shops yesterday by the friend's daughter who was apparently in 'demon shopping' mode while friend's husband sat reading my railway modelling mags and I provided various things to entertain the two daughters such as a couple of cats to play with (fortunately the cats were compliant) and opening up the dolls' house.  However I failed dismally when one asked to watch tv and I couldn't provide something called 'the cartoon channel' - seems we don't have the right programmes on Freeview.

G word mentioned for today so I shall watch.  My advice of my ultrasound appointment arrived yesterday - coincidentally it's on the same day as an AAA one I had previously arranged so I will now have two on the same day in two different hospitals 8 miles apart, fortunately the times allow sufficient interval to get from one to t'other - all being well and assuming the first one is punctual.  

But more important things this week as tomorrow is the first OFs' Christmas nosh of the year - in Exeter so it will definitely be something of an ER job for me in order that I can be punctual at the Imperial at 11.30  (one other member of RMweb, but not normally this little part of it, will also be in attendance); it's mainly people who worked in or were closely associated with Control offices over the years and a mix of former WR and SR sorts, one of whom I first worked with, er, hmm, 51 years ago).  

Have a good day everybody

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

mainly people who worked in or were closely associated with Control offices over the years and a mix of former WR and SR sorts

Have they decided who owns the line between Salisbury and Exeter yet? ;)

What ever the answer to that question "avagoodun"

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Have they decided who owns the line between Salisbury and Exeter yet? ;)

What ever the answer to that question "avagoodun"

In my time that was simple - it was 'ours' and what's more it was under 'local control' of the Supervisor at Yeovil Jcn who arranged all the current ops alterations to crosses duly guided by the LSWR clock on the office wall.  The only time anybody else stepped in - often me in my time in that part of the world - was when WR route diversions were taking place or on other odd occasions such as the weekend I converted the entire train service west of Salisbury from Class 33 to diesel hydraulic haulage.  

I haven't got a clue what happened when the Southern got back part of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Update.

It is very sunny now. I thought earlier the cloudiness would last all day. I went back to sleep after posting earlier but was woken up when Matthew rang. He had eaten something suspect yesterday evening and wanted to tell us about how unwell he had been. Despite this he was quite cheerful. He asked if he did a PhD in London and lived at home could he have Aditi's study (once long long ago my train room! ). Aditi has started planning the tidying and redecorating! I suggested Matthew could have the garage or the summerhouse. They assumed I was being humorous.

• RMweb Premium

Update.

It is very sunny now. I thought earlier the cloudiness would last all day. I went back to sleep after posting earlier but was woken up when Matthew rang. He had eaten something suspect yesterday evening and wanted to tell us about how unwell he had been. Despite this he was quite cheerful. He asked if he did a PhD in London and lived at home could he have Aditi's study (once long long ago my train room! ). Aditi has started planning the tidying and redecorating! I suggested Matthew could have the garage or the summerhouse. They assumed I was being humorous.

I suspect that I might have to quote a market value rent for the room if that was mentioned in our household.   However I have a feeling that that idea might also be dismissed as a joke,

Jamie

• Like 14