The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The fist & mog has mainly departed so I can actually just about see the big house across the valley (not sure if the UK courts have yet secured it in accordance with Mr Putin's the Russian court's order to do so so presumably Mr Borodin is still in residence).  But still somewhat damp out there.  Must restock the ready use log pile in the porch today as we've been giving the wood burner a bit of action of late  (hint to Jamie - while the flue might be blocked you can also get problems if it is cold, a candle can provide enough warm air to help overcome the problem).

Have a  good day one & all

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Like this ?http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/Protective-Boots-and-Footwear/c-139.aspx

one of the cheaper suppliers  I use for marine stuff

or Like this? http://www.force4.co.uk/department/clothing/footwear/boots.html

another of the cheaper suppliers I use for marine stuff.

Indeed, the ones I have are by Gul. By far the best ones to wear when its icy.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I don't have any welly boots.

Quite warm here this morning, no foghorns either.

Not a lot planned for today now that the excitement of depositing recycling at the roadside has been completed.

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunny and a warm 12oC here at the moment.

My wellies are at least 15 years old and still in good condition, probably because I don't use them much. They are very useful as a shelter for spiders.  :yes:

Although late here today I was up early to take The Boss to work but then returned to bed. That was a mistake as when I got up again I had a splitting headache which is now abating.

Sipping coffee whilst typing and thinking about doing some more muddling.

Has anyone heard from either our New York correspondent or resident whelk lover? They don't seem to have visited for a while.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Morning all!

I'm signing off for the duration, as I won't have internet access where I'm going .....

First stop is Stroke Club Christmas lunch.  I'll be leaving early, so I'm not duty first aider, which means I can partake of drink!  And will!!  My progress to Benenden will be in a haze of alcohol.  I just need to remember one train time and that coffee can be purchased at Tonbridge.  I'm taking Guildford by Cobham to read; not an easy book but I may not have many distractions.

I expect to be amongst you again on Sunday.  Might even be sober. 

Bill

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm taking Guildford by Cobham to read; not an easy book but I may not have many distractions.

Have a good time, Bill. BTW is that a road map you're taking? I'd probably go that way myself to Guildford.

• Like 1

My mate keeps an old pair of wellies in his allotment shed. . . . 29 years old NCB wellies. Reinforced foot/ankle area, and steel toecap.

They could be older as he worked at The local colliery which closed in 1987.. . 

Spiders?. . . best to check for mice before in attempting to wear them!

John

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning, just I think depends how fast I can type so Good Afternoon just in case.

Thanks for the messages of support re my brother in law, much appreciated.

This morning has been spent doing various tasks as directed/instructed, talking of wood burners I have had to sort more kindling out this morning. Suggested that if SWMBO was going to keep on using as much as she does on the occasions she lights the fire then she might like to cut some to add to the pile!

On that note I retreated to the garage but I was brought a coffee later so all is well on that front.

My wellies must be about 20 years old, cannot recall the make (must have a look) but are fine and will see me out .

Aim is to get in the shed this afternoon for an hour or so fingers crossed.

Enjoy your day folks

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The youngest of our dogs was diagnosed with cancer last Friday, when Steph took her to see the vet as she was a bit out of breath but otherwise apparently OK. However, since then she has gone downhill rapidly and I think her days are numbered. One does feel a bit helpless, all we can do is try and make her as comfortable as possible.

Indeed, John, it may be that the treatment has to be palliative, patricularly if the cancer is very aggressive, and if so, then I know that the two of you will do your utmost to make sure that her days are as happy as they can be.  Short walks, good food, cosy bed, lots and lots of cuddles.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone

Still feeling carp, but we had to go out this morning, as we had an appointment with the bank to arrange our new savings account.

I should have been at a dinner event tonight to collect an award for my sponsored swims this year but I phoned them and cancelled that this morning.

It was 14C when we went out earlier, but it felt colder than that.

I think the rest of the afternoon will be spent resting.

Bah.

Bill. Good luck with the op tomorrow.

Stewart. Glad you've finally had your op and that it went well.

John. Sorry to hear about your dog, they really do become part of the family don't they?

Back later

• Like 3

Indeed, John, it may be that the treatment has to be palliative, patricularly if the cancer is very aggressive, and if so, then I know that the two of you will do your utmost to make sure that her days are as happy as they can be.  Short walks, good food, cosy bed, lots and lots of cuddles.

Sadly she is not eating but is still drinking. She also finds it difficult to get comfortable lying down. However, she is getting a lot of TLC.

• RMweb Gold

The saffron cake saga continues with SWMBO who does not like it, I raided the cake cupboard last night to find a huge lump of cake missing I asked SHE about it and was told "I was peckish" I've since hidden the remainder and left a few crumbs in the container with a note saying I was peckish, I'm not sure that was a wise move so I've hidden the knife block & knives as well. :spiteful:    

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A'noon all! Taking it easy today on my day off and after a minor dental treatment from which I just returned. Hope you have all been well and sending sympathies to everyone in need.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, John. I am sure you will know how to make her feel comfortable in however much time she may have left... :(

• Like 3

That explains why one of the seams opened on my Hunters after less than two years. My previous pairs were bought pre 2000. Inner tube repair patches are doing a good job on them at the moment.

Hunter shut down their Dumfries production line at the end of 2008, with the loss of 48 skilled jobs, after being unable to agree terms with Interfloor, the ultimate owner of the factory, on a new lease. The production tools, vulcanisers, etc. were all sold off to the Tigar Corporation in Serbia who tried to make a go of producing wellies to the old formula under the "Century" brand, but they had serious financial problems and took the decision to withdraw the Century brand from the market.

Hunter contracted with Beijing Patcus in China and used the latter's production line to produce what have been in effect imitations of the Dumfries products, but made to a significantly less durable formula. This helps Hunter's profits because they can turn out an infinite number of colour variations and drive the designer-label market that way, even though the product is clearly inferior. They recently opened up another production line in Indonesia to produce the "Norris Field" range which they claimed was more like the old Dumfries formula, but the jury is still out on Indonesian durabilty. 

My mate keeps an old pair of wellies in his allotment shed. . . . 29 years old NCB wellies. Reinforced foot/ankle area, and steel toecap.

NCB were generally provided by either Uniroyal, BTR or Dunlop back then.

I've got a pair of Barbour wellies that I got when I was about 15 and they still fit and don't leak. That's about 25 years....

I had a pair of Barbours that lasted 20 years from 1991, They were identical to the contemporary Hunters at the time, and I suspected they were made on the same Dumfries line. I spoke to an ex-Dumfries employee years ago, and she was adamant that they never produced anything for Barbour. Barbour always suggested that their wellies were made in Galashiels. It was curious how Uniroyal / Gates / Hunter never pursued Barbour in respect of copyright or design rights, and I wonder what the real story was.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly she is not eating but is still drinking. She also finds it difficult to get comfortable lying down. However, she is getting a lot of TLC.

Oh dear, John, not so good, but she will know that you are doing your best for her, and that she can rely on your love for as long as she needs it.

• RMweb Premium

I had a pair of Hunter Galloways which I bought new in a sale at our local outdoor/gun shop many years ago, but they were so heavy that I stopped wearing them.  I also found that the had a lack of grip in certain conditions, despite an apparently good tread pattern on the soles.  So they languished in the cupboard for many years, until I sold them on for about fifteen quid at the boot sale (pun not intentional - well yes it is :jester:

The buyer was as pleased as punch with them, and now that I know the background from Ivan, I know why....

Edited by 45156
  • Like 11

I had a pair of Hunter Galloways which I bought new in a sale at our local outdoor/gun shop many years ago, but they were so heavy that I stopped wearing them.  I also found that the had a lack of grip in certain conditions, despite an apparently good tread pattern on the soles.  So they languished in the cupboard for many years, until I sold them on for about fifteen quid at the boot sale (pun not intentional - well yes it is :jester:

The buyer was as pleased as punch with them, and now that I know the background from Ivan, I know why....

I had a pair of wellington boots issued by my employer a few years ago now. I only wore them  the once when I installed a telephone line into a portacabin on a building site. (I did say "a few years" ago.) The site was up to the armpits in mud and afterwards the boots were left in a cardboard box in the back of my van to dry out. Several days later I remembered the boots and I hit them against the tow bar bracket to knock the now dried mud off. They went with a very loud clang as the steel toe caps made contact and the vibrations ran up and down my arm.  It never occurred to me they were a "Totector" brand, I did wonder why they were so heavy without the mud! 

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Safety Wellingtons | Screwfix.com

www.screwfix.com › Safety & Workwear › Safety Footwear

Top quality safety wellington boots and steel toe cap wellies are available from the variety of great brands, including our own, providing a range for different needs and requirements. Pierce-resistant midsole and  shock-absorbing sole are only a few out of many features offered.        :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon/evening.

Wellies; currently use cheapo green Dunlop jobbies from Charlies (for those who hail from the East Riding Charlies is like Boyes), brilliantly comfy and hard wearing.

Washing machines; had a spell mending these for a living. Then I'd recommend Hotpoint as reliable and easy to work on. These days I run a fleet of base model Beko machines, one for us and two in our holiday cottages. At the risk of tempting fate I think they're brilliantly reliable, our oldest machine has clocked up nine years of hard use with no attention needed. Our newer pair are six and seven years old, again they've needed no attention.

• Like 13