The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Mrs Stationmaster returned early from her day trip to Bath as the lady she was meeting was expecting a retimed arrival of her husband and daughter from NZ and had to do some urgent food shopping.  No problem for me though as I got to collect herself from the station in almost daylight instead of the soggy murk that descended a little later.

G'night all.

• Like 15

Morning All,

It isn't quite as cold this morning.  The temperature was around -1°C, but strangely we had a dusting of snow at home, but not much elsewhere - which is quite unusual because generally the temperature is a little warmer with us.

Congratulations to Jonny, and sorry to hear about your Brother in law.

Oh well - better get on.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hey up to all from a fog free North West Leeds highlands.

Her indoors up early for a pre music theory teaching swim so guess what? I am up early too!

Today I have to post a parcel to one of the ERs, finish cataloguing loads of model railway stuff and complete the housework.

Apparently it will be a balmy 12° C here later so I have been tasked to get the washing outside to dry.

Stay safe and may all medical operations and visits go well.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning All,

No fog this morning, a lot warmer with just a little light mist in places, the roads are very wet, we must have had some rain, I hit every set of lights on the way in on green, Yippee...

I missed one set of road works out of yesterdays long missive, that is probably because I've got so used to it, The Norwich Northern Distributer route.  A northern bypass with lots of roundabouts, It's been under construction for a year and we probably have another year of it to go .

Every time it crosses a main road  there will be a roundabout, but in the meantime there are traffic lights for the construction machinery to cross, guess what was happening yesterday....

New Haven Neil, yes that's a bit more power than we had, our total was about half yours, but we weren't over the horizon (that is looking down below the horizon in the distance), just old fashioned  brute force radar. You try carrying enough power to jam that in an aircraft over a range of frequencies...

Talking about frequencies I have some to measure time, to go and do some work...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Bonjour de La Charente Maritime.  The morning is looking good for another good day with lovely colours spreading across the sky.   We got various things done yesterday and did a fodder run.  We also had to pass our local vineyard to check it's winter opening times.  This checking somehow ended up involving the purchase of several bottles one of them allegedly to feed the Christmas Cake.    

Investigations into the non working heaters are continuing and I've also got to look at the flue behind the wood burner.  Lesser smoked wife was not a happy bunny when we tried to light it.   This afternoon I may even get chance to do some work on the railway room​ shed and erect some shelving.  

Alan, very sorry to hear about your BiL .

Jonny, congratulations on your new grandchild.

Regards to all other sufferers and those awaiting procedures.

Jamie

• Like 17

Good morning one and all

AndyRam, good luck with the job application!

Lunch today with a friend near Peterborough.  It will be my third visit to the Blue Bell in Helpston.  The route there and back includes the level crossing so I had better allow plenty of time.  Before hitting that particular road I need to whip into town to collect my Swiss francs and to drop some surplus books into Oxfam now that a carrier bag large and strong enough to accommodate them has become available.   Thry include that most unwelcome of raffle prizes, a railway coffee table book, lavishly illustrated but with tosh where the text should be.  Good riddance.

Meanwhile the car is loaded ready for tomorrow's visit to Poorly Pal, except for the food which of necessity is still in the fridge.  The beef stew or rather what is left of it is in a Le Creuset pan on the cooker because there is no way of fitting it into the fridge.  I can think of no better incentive to eat the rest of it.

My oat cuisine calls.  Best wishes, then, to all travellers, to the lonely and depressed and to the ailing, supporting, recovering, grieving and missing.  Of all of these bar the travellers there are too many.

Chris

• Like 18

Morning all. A late ER today which I really needed after the journey home. A grey miserable start to the day.

I've got 2 site visits today with the first one being 10 minutes from home but can't get access till 09:00. At least that's worked out well for me.

Time for more coffee before hitting the road.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 3

Hello from a much brighter Somerset today.

I might even try putting some washing on the line.

Apparently, we need to buy wellies as a present; but much head scratching has ensued as to which local retailer might have the best selection. Department stores are ok for the posh designer type costing four times their true value, but that means a visit to Bristol with associated travel fares or park-and-ride charges (Mrs Jonny is not yet eligible for a free bus pass - unlike my geriatric self).

We have finally decided to try the largest garden centre in the area, where parking is free. Prices will still have a 400% mark-up (as with most garden centres) but there may be a few pairs of wellies suitable for wearing to walk muddy footpaths at this time of year.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

I've god a code in by node. Where the heck did that come from? I don't know anyone who's got one.

Bah!

Back later.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

I've been so busy this last week that I've not had a lot of chance to catch up, but on skiimming a few posts, it does seem that I've missed a lot of news, and that quite a few among us are not having the best of times.  I'm sorry to hear this, and hope that anybody ailing or with ailing friends or family has better news soon.  Oh how I miss Jock's daily synopsis of ERs which was usually sufficient to keep up to speed.

Compare to some others, my news is pretty minor, but I did have the growth removed from my eyelid by the Opthalamic surgeon on Monday - the usual get there at one, sit around for hours to find that you are nearer the end of the list than the beginning.  I was quite surprised at how much work went into what I had done, as the GP said it would be simple, and I thought it would be done while I was sitting, but I had to lie on a theatre trolley, and then was on my back with various potions being infused into my eye, and a VERY painful injection into the eyelid margin - then a mask over both eyes, and some very strange sensations and smells while the growth was removed.  My eyesight in the affected eye is still not 100% but I am OK to drive - just as well, as 30747's normal lift to work has gone on early maternity leave, having given birth 7 weeks early, and as a result, I am now on two taxi duties a day, plus fodder runs, and all the rest. 

Anyhow, I'll try to keep up a bit, but no promises, but again, best wishes to those who need them, and if some kindly soul can update me on the events of the latt ten days, either here on in a PM, that'd be great.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Still a bit grey this morning but showing signs of brightening up.

Hello from a much brighter Somerset today.

I might even try putting some washing on the line.

Apparently, we need to buy wellies as a present; but much head scratching has ensued as to which local retailer might have the best selection. Department stores are ok for the posh designer type costing four times their true value, but that means a visit to Bristol with associated travel fares or park-and-ride charges (Mrs Jonny is not yet eligible for a free bus pass - unlike my geriatric self).

We have finally decided to try the largest garden centre in the area, where parking is free. Prices will still have a 400% mark-up (as with most garden centres) but there may be a few pairs of wellies suitable for wearing to walk muddy footpaths at this time of year.

I have a pair of seamens boots which I've worn very little in the last 30 years or so. I purchased them from a boat chandelers when I lived in Burnham-on Crouch. The big difference I found was that they were far better in icy conditions than normal wellies, and with the thick woolen socks warm and comfortable. Also although they were costly they didn't cost 400% of the normal wellie price. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 8

Strange weather. Overnight temperature 14deg C. Two days ago it was sub zero. 

The youngest of our dogs was diagnosed with cancer last Friday, when Steph took her to see the vet as she was a bit out of breath but otherwise apparently OK. However, since then she has gone downhill rapidly and I think her days are numbered. One does feel a bit helpless, all we can do is try and make her as comfortable as possible.

....we need to buy wellies as a present; but much head scratching has ensued as to which local retailer might have the best selection. Department stores are ok for the posh designer type costing four times their true value, but that means a visit to Bristol with associated travel fares or park-and-ride charges (Mrs Jonny is not yet eligible for a free bus pass - unlike my geriatric self).

Avoid the usual department stores and shops.

Having a long history with horses, I think I have tried a fair number of wellies, and I can conclusively say:

Avoid Hunter. Made in China since 2008, it is possible to kill a pair (RRP £90+) in 6 months. Shocking build quality, they mucked about with the rubber formulation, and this means the heel blocks wear down in next to no time, whilst insteps and ankles frequently crack. Designer-label rubbish.

Aigle: much better, but not everyone sells them. Look for Parcours or Parcours ISO models; they are properly built.

Le Chameau: the ones I swear by. They are expensive, but they go on seemingly forever. My oldest pair (neoprene-lined) is ten years old....and still going. No cracks, no leaks, no problem.

post-6879-0-39618100-1481132298_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan

Avoid Hunter. Made in China since 2008, it is possible to kill a pair (RRP £90+) in 6 months. Shocking build quality, they mucked about with the rubber formulation, and this means the heel blocks wear down in next to no time, whilst insteps and ankles frequently crack. Designer-label rubbish.

That explains why one of the seams opened on my Hunters after less than two years. My previous pairs were bought pre 2000. Inner tube repair patches are doing a good job on them at the moment.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Still a bit grey this morning but showing signs of brightening up.

I have a pair of seamens boots which I've worn very little in the last 30 years or so. I purchased them from a boat chandelers when I lived in Burnham-on Crouch. The big difference I found was that they were far better in icy conditions than normal wellies, and with the thick woolen socks warm and comfortable. Also although they were costly they didn't cost 400% of the normal wellie price. Bye for now, be back later.

Like this ?http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/Protective-Boots-and-Footwear/c-139.aspx

one of the cheaper suppliers  I use for marine stuff

or Like this? http://www.force4.co.uk/department/clothing/footwear/boots.html

another of the cheaper suppliers I use for marine stuff.