The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

It's been awhile since we've had an EA..... and then along come five at once.......

Cheers,

Mick

Pointing, the ability of a sailing boat to sail as close into the wind as possible, pointing higher means heading closer into the wind, most important sailing on a river. 1 degree higher may take you one hundred yards further up the river Before having to change direction to avoid hitting the bank.

Spinnaker, a huge sail on the front of a boat, like the coloured sails marked 37 and 4 in this pic, it needs an extra pole to hold it out to shape as seen under the spinnaker of boat 37. A spinnaker normally gives you a speed advantage going with the wind from behind.

post-15969-0-28070800-1480882164.jpg

Jib, ( a large jib maybe called a Genoa) the normal triangular sail at the front of a boat when not using a spinnaker. As seen on the boat in the middle of the picture, attached by a wire down its leading edge, at the bottom of which is a drum, under the deck in our case, around which, is a long string to pull to roll up (furl or reef) the sail. At the top of the sail is a rotating joint to allow the sail to roll up but ours jammed.

To put in a Reef or reefing is to partly roll up or reduce sail area.

On the front of a sailing boat is a forestay,( there are side stays as well, all may also be called shrouds) that is, a wire which holds up the mast when the sails are taken down at the end of the day, at the top of our jib is a 6 inch diameter disk which holds the forestay away from the jib so that it can roll up or in our case because it jammed, it tried to all roll together which is physically impossible.

The type of boat I sail is a Yeoman class keelboat, which are those shown with their Spinnaker's flying. I was officiating during this race so am not in picture.

Keelboat, like a yacht it has a large lump of cast iron keel (half a ton in our case) hanging underneath to keep it upright. But a keelboat does not have a cabin a yacht does.

A Dinghy can be a small sailing boat, but it's keel which normally is removable, it does not have extra weight to keep it upright, the crew has to leap around from side to side to stop the boat falling over and themselves getting wet.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A Dinghy can be a small sailing boat, but it's keel which normally is removable, it does not have extra weight to keep it upright, the crew has to leap around from side to side to stop the boat falling over and themselves getting wet.

I never found keeping a racing dinghy upright had any bearing on keeping dry, especially when planing.

Good fun though.

As you can see from my earlier post, I am now reduced to acting as a temporary gin canister on a ship that tries to be a hotel. (Which is preferable to the less safe practice of a hotel trying to be a ship:-) )

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We are having a quiet evening now.

Aditi likes to take Robbie for an evening walk. Unfortunately she fell over and hit the ground quite hard. She got home but although she has some bruises and seemed a bit shocked at first doesn't think anything is broken. She said while she was recovering sitting against a wall someone did stop to ask if she were OK. Being the sort of person who doesn't make a fuss she assured them she was fine and was just resting. Unfortunately Robbie isn't like Skippy the kangaroo, and he didn't run home to fetch help.

Back to being an ER tomorrow for a 2 day trip to the midlands. Looking at the car tonight, it seems like I'll need to be a bit earlier to defrost before setting off.

Richard - Enjoy the cruise. Hopefully no canaries will be harmed. :jester:

Night all

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

As you can see from my earlier post, I am now reduced to acting as a temporary gin canister on a ship that tries to be a hotel. (Which is preferable to the less safe practice of a hotel trying to be a ship:-) )

Have a good holiday. We had the cruise I suspect you are going on, on our "possibles" list earlier this year. We look forward to a report!

Tony

• Like 2

Evening all!  Just back from Haydn's Seasons at the parish church.  I liked the music, even though I was directly behind the horns, but unconvinced by the text: "See the playful lambkins bounding", anyone?

Pretty well recovered from the ERA exhibition on Saturday.  A good nights sleep, although a bit late for the 8am service.

My news is that the knee is in for a service on Thursday.  I'm actually off to a Christmas lunch on Wednesday, so will partake of food and drink then catch a train towards the hospital.  As I'm having a general, my sister will collect me and keep an eye on me for a couple of days.  Not quite sure when I'm back, but have another Christmas meal on Monday week. 

Note that another ER is into hospital on Wednesday for a Thursday op, but I'll let him post details himself.

And so to another couple of threads, which will aid recovery.  Lancaster Green Ayre and Ally Pally 2017.  Jamie has invited me to assist in setting up, operating and breaking down his layout, so I've cancelled my trip to Germany in March.

Keep well, all.    Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

A day of contrasts.  First a good Tesco shop - the bill started at £190 something which was silly as the various reduced prices and bogoffs etc reduced to £161 - but that was just the start as the 'family & friends' type card then knocked it done to £145 followed by various recently received coupons and offers which meant we actually paid £122;  which left us wondering if they still made a profit (of course they did, they don't give stuff away - do they?).

So home for a spot of lunch but alas a portion of a rather rich butcher supplied pork pie and and dodgyish tomato reduced me to a state of major indigestion accompanied by various other things until such time - several hours later - when said pork pie and tomato duly headed in the opposite direction.  Not feeling absolutely top notch now but far better than I was.  Fortunately in consequence the roast lamb has been deferred until tomorrow evening and I only ate a small evening meal.

BTW Bill - Mrs Stationmaster is on a separate single person's state pension as she was fully contributed/credited on achieving the relevant age.   Trust the Happy Hippo and obergrumpenfuhrer enjoy their time on the briny.

And with that tale of the day G'night all

• Like 4

Evening all. A very thoughtful weekend has come to an end and I am now contemplating / but slightly dreading going into work tomorrow. The first team teaching session beckons first thing, apparently needed because I am so carp these days. I cannot say it is something I am looking forward to.

This afternoon I received an email from the head at the possible new school, informing me to apply anyway despite my lack of experience with the older age group. All weekend I have started to think through possible interview question answers. This may be jumping ahead at this point - but thinking this through has started to make me believe I could do the job. The result - I have started to fill out the application form this evening. Still quite a bit to do before the Wednesday deadline. Hopefully I can least complete a passable application in such a short space of time.

• Like 7

The livery yard Christmas p*ss-up takes place in two weeks time at The Paper Mill, Apsley, a pseudo gastropub which, although nowhere near Central London, charges Central London prices. Seems loads of people have been caught by parking penalties there as well, but we know how to get out of that.....

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. A very thoughtful weekend has come to an end and I am now contemplating / but slightly dreading going into work tomorrow. The first team teaching session beckons first thing, apparently needed because I am so carp these days. I cannot say it is something I am looking forward to.

This afternoon I received an email from the head at the possible new school, informing me to apply anyway despite my lack of experience with the older age group. All weekend I have started to think through possible interview question answers. This may be jumping ahead at this point - but thinking this through has started to make me believe I could do the job. The result - I have started to fill out the application form this evening. Still quite a bit to do before the Wednesday deadline. Hopefully I can least complete a passable application in such a short space of time.

I'm sure you aren't someone who takes such decisions lightly, Andy, and that you have thus given the matter a lot of careful thought indeed. So, may I just wish you nothing but good luck with your application!

Mawnin' awl (well, it is, isn't it?) …

As usual, I need to wind down a bit upon returning from work. Which wasn't too difficult today, but even so, having to stay focused for hours can only be demanding.

Was driving through patches of fairly dense fog in the very south of the city on one round but other than that, it was a cold and starry night, rather than dark and stormy! I do like walking a few yards outside at termini when the air is cold and crisp, I should say.

20161204-_dsc0727bejwf.jpg

First up was 1205 "Hannover", seen here on Schillerplatz in Markkleeberg…

20161204-_dsc0731l8jvl.jpg

…and later, 1227 "Düsseldorf", first in the same location…

20161204-_dsc0735a5jb7.jpg

…then at Wahren…

20161205-_dsc0737uukuu.jpg

…and inside Dölitz Depot prior to departing for RTD to Angerbrücke.

20161205-_dsc073895kf4.jpg

And just to give you an idea of what it looks like for me when I'm in the cab.

Now three days off, so having a little nightcap before mattress listening duty.

Sleep well, folks.

• Like 14

Morning all. The predicted frost has appeared so much defrosting before heading off this morning. A terrible nights sleep for some reason but it's not unusual for a Sunday night.

Another coffee to consume and one to take with me in the travel mug.

Andy - You know that you can do the job so good luck with the application.

Hopefully I'll be back later today.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all..

All is calm now but the about 3.30 Aditi was most unwell. Breathing difficulty and cLammy skin. We had intended to go to the minor injuries unit in the morning but we rang 111 and they sent anmbulance.

The paramedics checked her out. By then her breathing and temperature were more normal. The paramedics were very thorough though they were concerned about blood sugar being elevated and want her to talk to her diabetic nurse. We will be off to the minor injuries unit later for the wrist and ribs to be checked over. If Aditi had wanted more pain relief she could have gone off in the ambulance to Southend A&E. She is however much much better than when we called 111.

I think I will try and get some sleep now.

Morning all..

All is calm now but the about 3.30 Aditi was most unwell. Breathing difficulty and cLammy skin. We had intended to go to the minor injuries unit in the morning but we rang 111 and they sent anmbulance.

The paramedics checked her out. By then her breathing and temperature were more normal. The paramedics were very thorough though they were concerned about blood sugar being elevated and want her to talk to her diabetic nurse. We will be off to the minor injuries unit later for the wrist and ribs to be checked over. If Aditi had wanted more pain relief she could have gone off in the ambulance to Southend A&E. She is however much much better than when we called 111.

I think I will try and get some sleep now.

Glad to hear Aditi is doing a bit better. Any sort of fall can take a lot out of us.

Morning All,

We have another cold morning.  It was down to -6°C on the way into work.

Unfortunately, I have an all day meeting today - which to be honest, I don't have time for.  Oh well - There is still some time before the Christmas deadline.

Tony - Fingers crossed that Aditi's health settles down.  I hope she continues to feel better.

Have a good day everyone...