The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The Evergreen line of Skytrain, the Greater Vancouver rapid transit system, was opened for service today. Here are speeded-up videos of journeys eastbound and westbound on the new section. (Warning - lights in the tunnel section, at this speed, resemble strobe lighting.) You can see trains on the Canadian Pacific tracks which parallel the transit line between Coquitlam Central and the northern portal of the tunnel.

That may be worth a quick visit in May next year.....

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.   Busy day, into the big city this morning for things - failed - then a brunch on a local café and then over to work to cut up a load of firewood that used to be studding walls in a storage unit we are taking over.  The chainsaw action didn't cause any GDB moments, I have a saw bench that holds the saw which makes it a lot quicker and safer, got a full trailer load of wood out of it which is good.  Free!  Just finished loading it into the store as the light was going.

We are off out tonight with the lovely Jayne, she is treating us to a meal at a Italian/steak restaurant we haven't been to before - which is very brave as we were going there the night Gary was killed so it has overtones for her.  She is determined to go as she likes the place, and wants to break the sort of taboo about it.  She is still bearing up a lot better this last couple of months which is so rewarding to see, she really needed a break from things going wrong after Gary's death, she had such an awful run.  The treat is in return for us pet sitting while she was away recently.  She is also back off to the Falklands after Christmas, which she is really looking forward to.  It is really good for us to see her improve, she means so much to us and we were beginning to despair, not knowing what more we could do to help.  Life, eh.

• Like 9

The saying "From Hell, Hull and Halifax good lord deliver us." comes from the fact that instead of hanging felons both towns used a guillotine.

Allegedly, the expression is "From Hull, Elland and Halifax, the good Lord deliver us" These towns, the first of which I live in, had a reputation of severe punishments. I'm not certain about the use of the guillotine but Hull was allegedly the first place to use the "long drop" hanging method in 1902.

A similar device known as the Halifax Gibbet had been in use in that Yorkshire town since 1286 and continued until 1650.  

• Like 3

How about a heavy-duty Jones sewing machine that hasn't been used since the early 1980s?

There are five six sewing machines in this house, the earliest dating from the 1930s early 1920s.

Corrections after conversation with SWMBO.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There are five sewing machines in this house, the earliest dating from the 1930s.

There's only one sewing machine in the NB household. Dating from the 1960s. That's Mrs NB.........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone

I got back from the show about an hour ago and I've finally caught up with all the posts from yesterday and today. How the heck does bags become cars, only when bl00dy predictive text says it can, that's how! I keep saying I should proof read, but I never do. Doh!

The Manchester show was very good, it was mad busy first thing. I still had to queue up outside despite getting a later train. So I think I'll stick with the later train in future. There wasn't as many bargains to be had like last year, but ho hum, I still picked a few items that I wanted.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've been back in for an hour after working on the shed extension, I got the last side panels on before SWMBO turned up. We then placed the floor boards in to give us something to stand on.

So then it was on to the roof first the 3 roof trusses were assembled and installed and then the panels put on. Most went straight on but a few showed that the odd screw hole on the eaves beam was misaligned. A quick drill sorted that. So all the roof panels are on now all the main structure is assembled it suddenly becomes a stiff strong shed, it needs some weight in it before the winter gales.

Next week just some trim to fit, screw down the floor boards, and layout the connection between this shed and the main shed.

So during the week I'll get the insulation and the final floor boards.

Going in and out of the main shed I passed, SWMBOs favourite sewing machine, a Singer treadle, that was her mother's, grandmother's, and it was secondhand before that. IIRC it was made in 1904. SWMBO has a modern all singing all dancing machine but doesn't like it and won't use it except for fancy stuff.

• Like 14

Allegedly, the expression is "From Hull, Elland and Halifax, the good Lord deliver us" These towns, the first of which I live in, had a reputation of severe punishments. I'm not certain about the use of the guillotine but Hull was allegedly the first place to use the "long drop" hanging method in 1902.

A similar device known as the Halifax Gibbet had been in use in that Yorkshire town since 1286 and continued until 1650.  

If I may quote from Wikipedia, an on-line encyclopedia,  m'Lud: "Felons were not decapitated in Hull, but were tied to gibbets in the Humber estuary at low tide and left to drown as the sea returned."

No, that's more than six grand, or for a large one, about sixteen grand. This is a large accurate frame that allows easier qulting over larger areas.

No necessarily that much. Lorna has one of these. They are available for around $800. She has a long arm sewing machine to go with it. I think the machine cost around $300.

• RMweb Gold

Battery bought and installed - eventually. The securing bolt on the battery tray required a large Torx driver, to be inserted down a narrow space. I don't have a long Torx (ooh!) so had to whistle up reserves from the other end of the village. Peter used to be Production Manager for Caterham cars, so had the required device. he was on his way to physio, having had a back op last month. 

• Like 14

That may be worth a quick visit in May next year.....

Cheers,

Mick

Depends what you want to see. There are (IMO) more spectacular views on other parts of the system. Also, the Skytrain runs beside/over railroad tracks in several other places.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If I may quote from Wikipedia, an on-line encyclopedia,  m'Lud: "Felons were not decapitated in Hull, but were tied to gibbets in the Humber estuary at low tide and left to drown as the sea returned."

I once heard a very entertaining lecture by a Home Office pathologist.  He told the tale that he always knew he was in Hull by turning his customers over and seeing if a certain orifice was somewhat enlarged.  

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Show closed at 4pm and we were on the road within 26 minutes with the car fully loaded. I drove us to Warwick services where my other half took over. Problems on M25 meant a detour via the M4 but should still be home just after 7pm. A quick unload of the essentials and it's a bus journey to Purley to meet up with friends for a few beers tonight.

The main part of th layout can be unloaded tomorrow.

• Like 13

They did similar to women in Wigtown, south-west Scotland, in 1685, for refusing to swear an oath that King James VII (King James II of England) was head of the Presbyterian Church...

Show closed at 4pm and we were on the road within 26 minutes with the car fully loaded. I drove us to Warwick services where my other half took over. Problems on M25 meant a detour via the M4 but should still be home just after 7pm. A quick unload of the essentials and it's a bus journey to Purley to meet up with friends for a few beers tonight.

The main part of th layout can be unloaded tomorrow.

Home just before 9pm.  Enjoyed shunting Dobris.

Bill

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Back from the west.

The quick look at Google maps confirmed by the traffic information on the satnav meant the journey to Isleworth was via the M25. We came back via the scenic route , Ealing Common, Hanger Lane etc down to the A13.

The afternoon was very pleasant. Lots of food, lots of arguments(not nasty ones just politic, Aditi's relatives like politics. )

Tony

• Like 11