The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all; slightly under par today with a mild tummy bug (no flowers fruit or chocolate please, just send cash or Hattons vouchers) but otherwise I've had a reasonable enough day pottering about. Cheered by sorting out a hard to track down intermittent short with my Patriot's tender and adjusting the back to back of my 9F's pony truck. Also cheered and a little surprised, to tell the truth, by the 'referendum on third runway' by election turning out to be a 'referendum on brexit' by election. Further events of the day have also had a who'd have thought it quality to to them, in particular Nico Rosberg quitting Formula One. Got to admire the man for stopping at the pinnacle of his career. On the subject of knowing when to stop, I'll sign off now. Have a pleasant evening.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Definitely Poets day. Director wanted and went for beer with a number of colleagues just before 4pm but as I have to drive no chance of beer beforehand. Did get a train that was on time all the way home. Can't quite believe it as it's a first in a long while. Next one was cancelled though hence the rush out of the office of get the one that I did. However the bus was late.

Now to finish loading the car ready for tonight's trip.

Tomorrow we are at the European Railway show in Edgbaston.

• Like 18

A day where I managed to get some admin done this morning before taking mum to Moorfields. 4.5 hours of driving for a 20 minute appointment. So frustrating.

Surprising news from Nico Rosberg. However, it seems like he hadn't let the team know that it was a possibility.

Back later

• Like 2

There was a bit of a kerfuffle up at the end of our road today. The siren went off a minute before the alarm this morning and the fire brigade followed shortly after.

It turns out a tank wagon derailed and turned over in the marshalling yard. It was full of nitric acid, so the line was closed - and is still closed now for recovery. Fortunately, nothing leaked and nobody was injured. Just one guy treated for shock.

http://hessenschau.de/panorama/aufraeumarbeiten-in-bischofsheim-im-plan---keine-saeure-ausgetreten,kesselwagen-bischofsheim-100.html

Since we've been on about grammar, E.T.C. Should I point out that Cock-up isn't swearing . It's derived from putting your arrow incorrectly to your bow.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cock_up

And (yes I know you should not start a sentence with and),

"Balls -up" is also not swearing, but is a sailing term, if you have run aground you are supposed to haul up the Mast, 3 balls one above the other, to indicate, you have made a "balls- up" and are aground.!

http://www.atlassailing.co.uk/the-balls-up/

Rules are for the guidance of wise men, etc.

"and. In general, avoid beginning a sentence with and; its use is justified only when a very effective addition is desired or when an arresting accumulation is to be concluded."

(Usage and Abusage. A Guide to Good English by Eric Partridge)

I think that TheQ's usage might be justified.

• Like 1

All the cars are unpacked and put back into storage until they are needed next, I think that's a record for them being emptied and put back in storage.

Just how many cars do you have???

• Like 1

Since we've been on about grammar, E.T.C. Should I point out that Cock-up isn't swearing . It's derived from putting your arrow incorrectly to your bow.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cock_up

And (yes I know you should not start a sentence with and),

"Balls -up" is also not swearing, but is a sailing term, if you have run aground you are supposed to haul up the Mast, 3 balls one above the other, to indicate, you have made a "balls- up" and are aground.!

http://www.atlassailing.co.uk/the-balls-up/

Now they are saying the explanation of cannon balls and a brass triangle is incorrect for another popular saying.

There may be an interesting programme on channel 5 tonight at eight (repeated an hour later), Secrets of Great British castles tonight concerns Lancaster Castle. Like most of the local population I don't give the castle a second glance, it is just that big building overlooking the city. I have been on a guided tour of the courtroom, dungeons, and the drop room but hasten to add I was never a guest in HMP, which is now closed. The old nickname of Lancaster was The Hanging Town, which gave some indication of what to expect when hauled before the judges at the assizes. 

Stay safe all.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

And, I thought it was just us 'mericns that had a lot of cars.

(In Idaho, even when they expire, we don't get rid of them. We use them as garden sculptures.)

From two trips I had in a coach around a fair amount of eastern USA Idaho is not alone

in that respect , old tractors and pick-ups being  the norm , and all in long grass that

has been mowed neatly all around .

• Like 3

There was a bit of a kerfuffle up at the end of our road today. The siren went off a minute before the alarm this morning and the fire brigade followed shortly after.

It turns out a tank wagon derailed and turned over in the marshalling yard. It was full of nitric acid, so the line was closed - and is still closed now for recovery. Fortunately, nothing leaked and nobody was injured. Just one guy treated for shock.

http://hessenschau.de/panorama/aufraeumarbeiten-in-bischofsheim-im-plan---keine-saeure-ausgetreten,kesselwagen-bischofsheim-100.html

Have you recovered from the shock and subsequent treatment?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Our friends didn't arrive as they were stuck on t0eh M180- road closed while British gas fixed a gas pipe line - so they are arriving in the morning all being well.

Tea was paid for by youngest Herbert. he is getting ready for his new post which starts 2nd January.

Now worn to a frazz so I bd you sleep well.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

There may be an interesting programme on channel 5 tonight at eight (repeated an hour later), Secrets of Great British castles tonight concerns Lancaster Castle. Like most of the local population I don't give the castle a second glance, it is just that big building overlooking the city. I have been on a guided tour of the courtroom, dungeons, and the drop room but hasten to add I was never a guest in HMP, which is now closed. The old nickname of Lancaster was The Hanging Town, which gave some indication of what to expect when hauled before the judges at the assizes. 

Stay safe all.

The saying "From Hell, Hull and Halifax good lord deliver us." comes from the fact that instead of hanging felons both towns used a guillotine.

• RMweb Premium

Stay safe all.

And the site of one of the most famous witch trials - Old Mother Demdyke, Aice Nuttall et al that were marched over from the Burnley/Pendle area.

Mrs NB's Guiding district use a witch logo for their gettogethers... Although there is the added slogan of "The Good Witches of Lancashire East". But we have a black cat - is that a coincidence?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Did some washing tonight. Now, my washing machine had made grinding noises for a while, but it still worked. Sadly, in the centrifuge part of the cycle, the bearing packed up, completely solid. Fortunately the cycle was almost done and I could retrieve the now clean washing from the drum just fine. But I now need a new machine, just at a time when money is non-existent :angry:

A very low unhappy bunny from a low country :mad:

On to you tube to see how its done and about 15 euros for a bearing kit and you should be up and running again.

• Like 5