The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Forget the maths!  I really came on here to show that I did indeed venture outside, but only to have a proper look at this evening's purple sky, the sun setting off to the right, and take a photo (and no tweaking, just straight off the phone, saved and posted).

post-14049-0-02362600-1480542077.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

When I worked in higher education, if your department had not spent its budget it could not transfer it to the following year and had to spend it before the close of year or lose it, which ours did, of course.

• Like 5

Following the Bank of England's announcement, the NFU in Lincolnshire is now working on a scheme to introduce a new species of vegetarian beef cattle.  This will be followed by meat-free lamb.  Fat-free pigs are thought to be unlikely for the foreseeable future.

To balance this, we shall be growing beef vegetables including pork broccoli, ham cauliflowers and certain varieties of beef oats and barley.

Unlikely? Well, Tim Peake thinks we will be colonising the moon by the 2020s although I feel sure that some bloke called Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin said that back in 1969  :butcher:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

When I worked in higher education, if your department had not spent its budget it could not transfer it to the following year and had to spend it before the close of year or lose it, which ours did, of course.

I must have been very trustworthy as the director of the scheme I worked for gave me a pad of pre signed and dated official order forms very near the end of financial year. I already had a wishlist from the schools we supported " just in case" some money was found. I think I spent it on printers (Epson dot matrix).

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

We've had a very pleasant evening in the "Bell" much catching up has been done, plenty of beer has been drunk and a great evening has been had by everyone all told.

On the subject of yearly budgets, years ago when it got close to year end and the departmental budget hadn't been spent, there was usually a mad rush to spend the balance. TOOLS were the usual choice, I've managed to get quite a few for the workshop that way, not to mention a shed load of IC's that could be used for all sorts, some of which I'm only just starting to use.

Time for bed.

Goodnight all

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Following the Bank of England's announcement, the NFU in Lincolnshire is now working on a scheme to introduce a new species of vegetarian beef cattle.  This will be followed by meat-free lamb.  Fat-free pigs are thought to be unlikely for the foreseeable future.

To balance this, we shall be growing beef vegetables including pork broccoli, ham cauliflowers and certain varieties of beef oats and barley.

Unlikely? Well, Tim Peake thinks we will be colonising the moon by the 2020s although I feel sure that some bloke called Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin said that back in 1969  :butcher:

Sir Thomas More's sheep ,

"The increase of pasture," said I, "by which your sheep, which are naturally mild, and easily kept in order, may be said now to devour men and unpeople, not only villages, but towns"

Probably not Lincolnshire though.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a rather cool village. We've had a great meal out at an Italian Restaurant with our three kids and their other halves. They all then came back home and we exchanged Christmas presents as we will be away. A good time was had with wrapping paper all over the floor. The only down side is that Beth has got the new Cliff Richard CD and we will no doubt have it playing in the car on the way to France.

As regards end of year budgets all police stations used to smell of Fresh Paint by the end of March with lot of new furniture appearing. Once when I was raising funds for an IT project we held a big meeting on 1st April and our Force treasurer sat there hand writing invoices to those that bought in. They were all asked what date they wanted on the invoice so that the money could come from the right financial year.

Jamie

Finally finished the report day from hell. Unfortunately the client is going to have to spend a fair bit of money to meet all the legislative requirements so isn't going to be very happy. 

An ER tomorrow for yet another site survey but at least I should get to the club tomorrow evening.

Night all

• RMweb Premium

Local Authorities are also well known for using up the budget in the last few months.

I once worked (1980s) for a company that made screening equipment for water intakes (we took the big bits out before the small stuff was "processed". The majority of jobs were at sewage works water treatment works. The usual bits were dead animals and plastic containers [1] and I once had a machine jam because it couldn't cope with a beer crate on the cooling water intake at a power station)

About February, we usually had a rush of the smaller projects that had been sitting in the "quote sent, but awaiting customer to order" pile, materialise into - "can we have it in 8 weeks?"

Cheers,

Mick

[1] By the time waste water gets to a treatment works, all the brown bits have been thoroughly minced up and combined with general drainage water, so it wasn't actually as sh!tty as you think. But then again, we always had a good wash before we left site and a shower upon returning to our hotel after a day in the works.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

We've had a very pleasant evening in the "Bell" much catching up has been done, plenty of beer has been drunk and a great evening has been had by everyone all told.

On the subject of yearly budgets, years ago when it got close to year end and the departmental budget hadn't been spent, there was usually a mad rush to spend the balance. TOOLS were the usual choice, I've managed to get quite a few for the workshop that way, not to mention a shed load of IC's that could be used for all sorts, some of which I'm only just starting to use.

Time for bed.

Goodnight all

Was that the Old Bell? One of a chain owned now by a Manx based company. Part of it may have been Farrars' Harrogate Toffee shop at one time.

• Like 5

Local Authorities are also well known for using up the budget in the last few months.

I once worked (1980s) for a company that made screening equipment for water intakes (we took the big bits out before the small stuff was "processed". The majority of jobs were at sewage works water treatment works. The usual bits were dead animals and plastic containers [1] and I once had a machine jam because it couldn't cope with a beer crate on the cooling water intake at a power station)

About February, we usually had a rush of the smaller projects that had been sitting in the "quote sent, but awaiting customer to order" pile, materialise into - "can we have it in 8 weeks?"

...[1] By the time waste water gets to a treatment works, all the brown bits have been thoroughly minced up and combined with general drainage water, so it wasn't actually as sh!tty as you think. But then again, we always had a good wash before we left site and a shower upon returning to our hotel after a day in the works.

Now I know why you like the colour yellow so much.....

The only down side is that Beth has got the new Cliff Richard CD and we will no doubt have it playing in the car on the way to France.

You just need to get into the swing of it.

All together now:

We're all going on a Summer Winter holiday,

No more working for a week or two................

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 1

Morning all. A chilly start to the day but at least there's no frost. I didn't sleep too well and there's a lot of driving again today. The coffee supplies will be rapidly depleted.

Great to see an early post from Debs. It really brightened up my day.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 3

Morning All,

It is quite a bit warmer this morning - no frost, and a (relatively) balmy 1°C.

Oh well - better get on with work.  I have a mountain of paperwork to get through before Christmas, and realising that it is the first of December - time is getting a little bit short!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Lummy white rabbits already.

Need to finish some cards wrap presents ..oh wait ...buy presents.

Today I shall mainly be doing housework.

Stay calm, enjoy your day.

Baz

• Like 3

Good morning one and all

I felt like a cuckoo in the nest last night.  The model I took to the show and tell night - a Scammell Scarab maade form a kit purchased on Sunday at Warley - was the only one not set in pre-grouping times, or, as I sometimes think of them, prehistoric.  It provoked much discussion, unlike two rakes of coaches built for railways lost in the dawn of time and more 7mm Terriers than one could imagine.  It made a pleasant change from my normal stunt of bringing a box of bits from which one day will emerge a coach.  The mince pies were nice too.  Oh heavens, that's two taboos broken in one paragraph.

I just went outside to move the car, which had been partly fouling Mrs E-C's gate again.  Had the driver of the vehicle outside my house used a few more brain cells he would have moved further forward when parking instead of leaving a space equivalent to seven eighths of a Polo.  This is both wasteful and cretinous but having lived in this street for close on 37 years I would expect no different.

Today I am confined to the hovel until postie has been.  Then will follow a merry few minutes checking the eagerly anticipated paperwork for my Swiss holiday, noting with a mixture of delight and resignation who will be in the party.  If the name of the moaning old cow from Altrincham appears I will have mixed feelings, which may or may not include peace and goodwill.

Best wishes to all travellers, to the lonely and depressed and to the ailing, supporting, recovering, grieving and missing.  Early Risers is an equal opportunity thread.

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Many of you will remember this >>

Well someones made a model of it complete with moving market stalls. Its on my Facebook page (the model that is).

No using the toilet in the station..... Oh it's not a station....