The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I didn't actually say how good Basildon was just that there isn't much point Benfleet trying to attract people to the town with Christmas lights. People from Benfleet are more likely to go to Basildon to shop than vice versa! As for "cultural" events Southend or Basildon are the local hotspots.

When people mention Basildon, the only thing I can remember of it is this:

post-6879-0-91009400-1480267954.jpg

Then again, this:

post-6879-0-85505600-1480268005.jpg

...wasn't much better in cultural terms.

:jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Quiet here today, but everybody's at Warley, I guess. 

Still took me an age to catch up, as I am also catching up on lots of other computer related matters, like the 62 emails that I haven't read yet.  I'm also still having to rest up for a while each day (as does 30747, and as she's got a hard week at work next week, it's more vital for her to be fit than me).  So since yesterday I've managed to read and rate everybody's offerings, and greetings are as usual on offer from the 45156 household.

I dod have a yeuk moment the other day, when I was clearing the kitchen drain, as there was a nice ring of fat round the pipe, and I scooped it out with a spoon.  It was at this point that the elbow shattered, and I went for a new one.  When I got back I asked why 30747 had cleared the debris up and she said she hadn't, but when I looked around, there were some very satisfied pigeons sitting on the fence, eyeing my every move!

May get back in a while.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 4

Torquay Town Centre is on its uppers for shops - compared to the vibrant place it was a decade ago - as, I think, are plenty of other similar town centres. Parking issues limit the appeal compared to the out-of-town stuff - e.g. The Willows - and so as fewer retail units are occupied, charges to do so rise and rise as punter numbers dwindle. And while few councils are popular these days due to universal funding issues and cutbacks, Torquay does seem to have a particularly unpopular lot.

Agreed Ian. So many closed shops in the lower part of the main drag. The Mayor makes some pretty unpopular decisions. That said it isnt all doom and gloom, BHS has a new tenant which although a cheaper end shop is good to see.

• RMweb Gold

Torquay Town Centre is on its uppers for shops - compared to the vibrant place it was a decade ago - as, I think, are plenty of other similar town centres. Parking issues limit the appeal compared to the out-of-town stuff - e.g. The Willows - and so as fewer retail units are occupied, charges to do so rise and rise as punter numbers dwindle. And while few councils are popular these days due to universal funding issues and cutbacks, Torquay does seem to have a particularly unpopular lot. 

Much the same every I fear Ian.  Our 'Town Manager' (yes, we really do have one) has had her latest brilliant idea accepted by the District Council (who now say it's their idea of course) to be implemented in December up until Christmas - free parking in the three town centre car parks every Tuesday in order to 'encourage shoppers'.  I'm struggling to follow the logic of this as all of these car parks - which aren't expensive anyway - are full by about 11.00 every day so quite how making them free encourages people I don't know.  

Presumably the idea is to tempt in mugs who will then find the car parks full and go and park on double yellow lines (quite common here) or in residential roads on the basis that 'we're here now so it must be worth parking somewhere if they're giving it away'.  Strangely the free parking will not apply on the day of the 'Christmas Fayre' (which is actually usually quite good and which shuts all the roads in the town centre) and didn't apply during the three days of the 'Christmas Market' (which wasn't too bad although it was mainly takeaway food).  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

E'ning all. A lazy Sunday it was, now culminated in a good dinner of cooked sausages with stewed kale and caramel potatoes. This is now being followed up with a sip of whisky. Simple pleasures, eh?

Hope everyone who's been to Warley has survived the endeavour! Other than that, nothing noteworthy to report, so, have a splendid evening, everyone. :yes:

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

BTW, after the great contact from Debs, it has gone quiet on here, but followers of her FB pages will know why.  It's not really my place to pass anything from FB to here, but I hope that Debs does read this and update us here as well, as there's lots of us here who do want to hear from you.

Ivan,

Please excuse my ignorance but why the stockings? Does Bill wear them all the time?

Our alcohacks take us over some rough ground so the boots are partly to stop the mud (of which there is plenty at the moment) from clinging to his lower legs. The other important purpose they serve is to cushion his legs if they happen to strike each other, which can happen occasionally - you will see them worn by horses that go jumping or racing. He only has these on when he goes out, but they're not needed for turning out in the fields in the morning.

• RMweb Premium

I did a couple of hours of gentle shed assembly this morning, before getting ready to go out.

Then we went out to the first *******mas dinner this year, we nearly didn't make it, we got to the first junction where we go straight on and the driver from the side road pulled out on us. Queue locked brakes and tyre screeching thank God for ABS. Both the roads are single track so there was nowhere to go.

After a very good dinner attended by 30 people, we got back just in time to miss the end of the Grand Prix. Since then I've been lying on the sofa ready to explode, snooring for some of it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

A busy day once more at Grumble Glen, the morning's task for  one group including NHN was pumping out the blue square box that we refer to as the Turdis.  Eeeeuuooo.  No more needs to be said other than we earned brownie points of a different type......

The afternoon was rather more pleasant and very much less smelly working on the new Steamplex engine.

F1 was another demonstration of how good Verstappen is at overtaking, and how poor Vettel and Rosberg are at the same task.  Watch out next year boys, he'll be after you! 

• Like 11

.... pumping out the blue square box that we refer to as the Turdis. Eeeeuuooo. No more needs to be said other than we earned brownie points of a different type......

Portaloo? Davlav?

You haven't seen turds until you've seen the ones Bill can put out after he's completed his internal processing work :jester:

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Collected the car yesterday after having the new clutch fitted. This morning I noticed a small pool of oil underneath the gearbox. When I returned from collecting my parcel I placed a flattened cardboard carton underneath it and when I checked it it was still oozing oil so its back to the workshop in the morning if more oil leaks out.

Evening all. Thanks for the kind comments. It has been a difficult few weeks. The time spent at home with Sarah this weekend has been very welcome, as was last night's night out and full night's sleep. Today we went out to one of the out of town shopping outlets in the morning. There was a 20% off everything sale, which included the Hornby concession. This is due to close in the early part of the new year so I hoped for some bargains. I did pick up the track that I needed for the new project. I was also tempted by a weathered Thompson 01 which was already reduced and then, with the additional 20% discount, looked a steal. Once home I opened the box and found the contents to be a weathered Churchwood 28xx. A nice enough model, but not what I bought. I have contacted the store and hope that they will still have a weathered 01 in stock. The woman on the other end of the line did not sound very knowledgeable.

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Arrived home at about 8;30 tonight having survived my 4 days at Warley. Apart from almost losing my voice a great time was had and a lot of ERs met and chins have been wagged...

Lots of work to do tomorrow and, for reasons known only to my head I managed about 4 hours sleep last night... plans were churned re the demo area for Warley next year...so I hope everyone sleeps well!

Baz

• Like 1

BTW, after the great contact from Debs, it has gone quiet on here, but followers of her FB pages will know why.  It's not really my place to pass anything from FB to here, but I hope that Debs does read this and update us here as well, as there's lots of us here who do want to hear from you.

Thanks for the supportive thoughts, Stewart.

Regrettably, our plans for the weekend and Warley, became rather pyriform; but we are very appreciative to the staff of Queen`s Medical Centre University Trust in Nottingham, for sorting out my acute difficulties on Saturday and overnight into Sunday.......and especially, for helping calm a very concerned Passepartout.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Barry for arranging my weekend.....

Quite a few ERs seen and chatted with at the NEC. More names to faces, or is that faces to names?

Busy day driving tomorrow and then the commute for a couple of days. Bill's errant Cobalt will be examined on Tuesday......

Have a good week folks,

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I would have been home quicker from Warlet but, having had a visit from a certain Hippo, a bit of mud removal from my home for the weekend was required :jester:

Time for some sleep! Night night, sleep tight, hope the bugs don't bite as my Grandma used to say.

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the supportive thoughts, Stewart.

Regrettably, our plans for the weekend and Warley, became rather pyriform; but we are very appreciative to the staff of Queen`s Medical Centre University Trust in Nottingham, for sorting out my acute difficulties on Saturday and overnight into Sunday.......and especially, for helping calm a very concerned Passepartout.

I had to Google "pyriform". My initial incorrect guess was something related to pyretic!
  • Like 2