The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ian: the reason for the new machine is that the old one was collapsing.  It's so slow doing anything and I couldn't get the old Firefox to show anything -- new browser doesn't find any FF files. I found a file with stored passwords in it but can't locate it now.

Good morning one and all

Another early night last night may just have helped to send the wretched cold on its way, plus of course more chemicals.  Today will be a long day for in addition to visiting Poorly Pal I need to nip into town beforehand.  At least the cards are now done and all but two of those that will be entrusted to Royal Snail are stamped and ready to go.  Other distractions may now be admitted.  One that will not is spending too much time hunting for the black felt tip pen purchased last week and lost already.  I will add one to the list for the fodder run tomorrow which on past form will lead to its rediscovery when least expected.   Something else to be added will be some bread rolls and stuff to put in them to help me through the ordeal that is Warley on Sunday.  Yum.

Today's best wishes:  for all travellers except the numpty who damaged Marlow bridge, to the lonely and depressed and to the ailing [snuffle], recovering, supporting, grieving and missing.

Chris

• Like 7

Morning All,

We have another fairly mild morning - the temperature is up around 10°C.  However, the mild weather seems to have started the cold and 'flu season.  Half of the office is off sick!

I don't have a lot else to report, so I guess it is time for a coffee.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 4

Morning all. A lousy nights sleep for some reason so plenty of coffee will be required to see me through the day.

Report writing again which I hope to complete early so I can venture out to the club tonight.

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most, evening to Rick.

Off to do some food shopping then pack car and off to the NEC. I hope to see some ERs at the weekend, Chris F thee is a large area in front of the demo area for people to meet in.

Perhaps the suppliers of navigational aids for lorries need to pay for the damage they cause? They make a fast buck as they really don't have to do a lot.

Tea required!

I may call in over the next few days. Just behave yourselves as Debs seems to be around a bit more than she has been (which is great!)

Baz

• Like 18

Morning all.

Haven't looked outside yet but it sounds like the wind has abated.

Normal service on Southern today, so disruptions, cancellations, etc. expected!

Morning All,

....  Half of the office is off sick!

Well, I hope the other half of the office provides adequate shelter for its inhabitants!

• RMweb Premium

Morning, ER time was 02:30, so I only got 4.5 hours sleep then I pottered down stairs, put the tv on to allow the news to send me to sleep again, only it didn't until just after 04:30  I then awoke at 05:20 Ahhhg  rush around to get ready and leave for work 5 minutes late but luckily had a good clear run in. 

The rushing around includes making up the fire, in days gone by, when we had an open fire, wind in this direction (North easterly) would suck the fire and all the heat out of the room, when we fitted the stove it became much better, but having built up the coal this morning, I very shortly after had to ash it up to slow the burn even with the stove.

It was on TV in our area the speed awareness courses are being stopped, and it will be instant points, that will hit the police budget somewhat, they had a nice little earner there around a hundred pounds per person and  quite on few people on each course.

I've just been off to read the article on Marlow Bridge.  Having seen the pictures, what part of 3 tonne weight limit and maximum 2m wide is difficult to understand?!?

I realise that bridges have always been targets for careless lorry drivers (I seem to remember that there was a railway bridge on the old A30 that was always getting clobbered) but it does seem to be getting worse.

While the vast majority of lorry drivers are sensible and courteous - and do an excellent job under very difficult circumstances.  There seems to be a percentage who completely ignore the rules.  On my way to work, one of the villages has an HGV ban on the main road straight through - there is a bypass that they are allowed to use, but some drivers just ignore the signs! 

We recently had a bridge over the Rhine that was closed to HGVs for several months and in order to enforce the ban barriers were placed at each end.  Numerous drivers were stopped as a result.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

You may have seen it but this bridge in the USA  has it's own web site 11ft 8 , signs warning lights nothing seems to stop them...

http//11ft8.com/

look up 11ft8 compilations on youtube.

Edited by TheQ

Good moaning from the usual place.

<insert 3 pages worth of b!tching about work here, but I can't be arsed to type>

All deliveries from yesterday err, delivered. Today should be quiet as I sit and twiddle my thumbs waiting for the wombles du cocque to remove 73% of their body mass from self inserted rectal orifices. Some of them have their heads shoved so far up their own bottoms they can see tonsils.

SWMBO reports that Southeastern are having a darn good attempt of wresting the most useless ToC in the galaxy crown back from Southern.

Paris booked over New Years. A bit of juggling and we now have 3 nights with the saving on the Eurostar fare covering the extra night of hotel. I know its all about maximising revenue but they seem to be taking the pi55. In one example there is a £137 difference in a single one way ticket on the same day only 1 hour later showing on their site. As it was, travelling on Thursday morning and back Sunday afternoon knocked £108 of the combined cheapest fares.

Tony, if you are heading to Whitechapel and fancy some goooood BBQ, the Pitt Cue is a medium but easy walk from there. pittcue.co.uk Good food and an on site brewery.

That's about all from me. Have a good one. Remember Thursday is the new Friday so TFIT!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and breezy start with sunny spells forecast.

I spent a bit of time working on the you know what yesterday doing a bit of b#ll###ing. I may do some more today after collecting The Boss and replenishing the comestibles.

This bridge seems popular with lorry drivers and caused me problems on a few occasions when I travelled to work by train to East Dulwich.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/notorious-tulse-hill-bridge-struck-by-truck-for-17th-strike-in-just-six-months-a3239591.html

Have a good one and duck when going under low bridges,

Bob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Breakfast being consumed, cats fed and the village is gradually getting lighter outside the window.  The boss departed early for Leeds so the house is quiet as the cats are now sleeping off their breakfast. I want to be a cat n the next life.  

Had a good evening at the club but better leave that to the layout thread, awl's look painful.  Now the ironing basket is overflowing and I better get it reduced so some suitable music will be selected to act as analgesic.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Brrr, hard frost this morning and temps not expected to reach much more than 3C but it is a bright and sunny morning!

Gabe and I went to see the new JK Rowlng film Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them yesterday and can confirm that it's good fun and very well-made. There could be more dramatic tension, though, imho. The special effects are superb. Am sure the kids and teens and mums and dads and grandparents will love it.

Have a warm day

Mal

• Like 12

Good morning all,

Dry and breezy start with sunny spells forecast.

I spent a bit of time working on the you know what yesterday doing a bit of b#ll###ing. I may do some more today after collecting The Boss and replenishing the comestibles.

This bridge seems popular with lorry drivers and caused me problems on a few occasions when I travelled to work by train to East Dulwich.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/notorious-tulse-hill-bridge-struck-by-truck-for-17th-strike-in-just-six-months-a3239591.html

Have a good one and duck when going under low bridges,

Bob.

Yup,

I was stuck behind that one!

Bill

Hello from a cloudy and breezy Somerset, but still dry - hoorah.

Had a curious dream last night that I was being given a very detailed guided tour around a collection of refuse skips at a recycling centre where items had been dropped into the wrong skips. This may have been partly due to the mouthful of 'vinegar' I swallowed yesterday evening while concentrating more on my book than the liquid. I should have realised when I unscrewed the top of one of my homebrew bottles and there was no fizz.

However, I did not and just up-ended the drink into my greedy gob - OMG, beer vinegar. Fortunately the rest of that batch have been fine, so maybe just my poor cleaning/sterilisation of that particular bottle or its top.

Mrs Jonny is going festive shopping today with her ladies wot lunch, so it might be an opportune moment to give the aquarium a decent clean-up and partial water change.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning

It's sunny, but cold, I think there may have been a frost but it had all but cleared when I took Sheila to her Zumba class armed with 2 boxes of cupcakes. Once she'd been dropped off I went to the butchers and bought our meat rations for the week.

Not much else planned for today, so I think I'll take it easy for a change.

Back later

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Was bright and sunny ealier on this morning but now clouding over. On the morning news it was said that that the Marlow Bridge is re-opening today. The problem with sat-navs is that they are only intended for car drivers not heavy vehicles. The answer is to make sat-navs where details of the vehicle type and size can be entered in, not foolproof I know and some are likely to abuse it but at least it will prevent some bridge damage. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 11

Back from my early morning trip to City of Derry Airport and tea and toast consumed. Fog and -5 degC did not make for a pleasant drive. At least there was little traffic on the roads at 5.30am. Much busier on the way bag so lots of salt spray landing on the windscreen. Needless to say, the washers had frozen by this time. 

However when the sun came up it was beautiful. Hoar frost everywhere, the sun shining on the iced up lough at the top of Barnesmore Gap (alongside the trackbed of the old County Donegal Railway)and just catching the tops of the Bluestack Mountains. Sadly, I did not have my camera with me.

The temperature at home has now risen to a staggering 0 degC. Forecast high for the day is 3 degC. But we do still have a clear blue sky, so it may be another day outside working on the garden.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning

It's sunny, but cold, I think there may have been a frost but it had all but cleared when I took Sheila to her Zumba class armed with 2 boxes of cupcakes. Once she'd been dropped off I went to the butchers and bought our meat rations for the week.

Not much else planned for today, so I think I'll take it easy for a change.

Back later

Cupcakes and Zumba makes me think of that immortal line in Calendar Girls where one of the ladies says that she needs bigger buns.  Won't go any further down that road. 

Bill, I hope that Hochstadt doesn't get stuck behind a bridge strike.

Jamie