The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all

Been absent for a few days rushing about. Weather here cold, January cold - not as chill as the US or Siberia, obviously, but still cold. Feel for those in the south with the rain and flooding.

Great to have seen posts from Debs but also very sorry to hear about the loss of her last collie. Always a sad time.

AndyB - have you tried a quiet word with the plastic surgeon first? He might just do the right thing and cough up - or offer the entire community healthy discounts on his work. What's his specialty? Labiaplasty not suitable for everyone, I guess :no:

Hopsital has slotted me in for stomach hernia op on 16 December, which has brought all things C*******s forward a week or two. Been busy sorting the cards and wrapping gifts. Edinburgh's European* market opened on Monday so may pay an early visit there today in the watery sunshine. May even go on the big wheel again.

Oh, Happy Unbirthday, Pete.

Have a good day all

Mal

*what will we call it after Brexit? The free market?

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I'm not going to the Warley show, its simply to far away. I did visit the Peterborough show this year which for me was at the outer limit of distance travel wise. Talking of the Peterborough show the catering was quite reasonably priced IMHO, so if they can do that at a venue where there is no real alternative (its in the middle of a vast empty field) why is Warley so expensive? The one time I went to Warley was with a group in a minibus about 15 years ago. Problem was on the return journey certain persons insisted on stopping at a couple of pubs on the way home, I had already 'spent out' at the show and had to be up early the following morning so I was none to pleased. Thats my rant for today, be back later.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and it's a foggy start to the day here.

Last night I did some more work on "Project Carpentry". No injuries were sustained and all bits of wood fitted together nicely. The structure I'm making is about  5'6" x 12", hinged in the middle and could be used for all sorts of things such as miniature table tennis, perhaps balancing a display of fine bone china on, erm....I can't think of any other uses for this flat, plywood creation but if any springs to your minds then so be it - I'm far to nervous wise to speculate.   :secret:

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Last night I did some more work on "Project Carpentry". No injuries were sustained and all bits of wood fitted together nicely. The structure I'm making is about  5'6" x 12", hinged in the middle and could be used for all sorts of things such as miniature table tennis, perhaps balancing a display of fine bone china on, erm....I can't think of any other uses for this flat, plywood creation but if any springs to your minds then so be it - I'm far to nervous wise to speculate.   :secret:

Your not related to GrandadBob are you? :jester:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Vicks Vapour Rub, good idea ID,

Might I also suggest, for those that are prone to picking up germs in crowded venues, airplane, etc. Boots Cold and Flu Defence Nasal Spray (please note English spelling MS/Google).

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Amateur!!!  :jester:

Your not related to GrandadBob are you? :jester:

He can't possibly be, he doesn't qualify, see above!  :jester:

.....potentially useful, yet untried and of unknown legal standing, solution against massed B.O.  would be to send up a few drones above the Warley crowds to spray the crowds with deodorant (or if you are feeling particularly cruel Dettol)....

...or possibly sarin or ricin.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

How can you not skate?

Four short legs and a low centre of gravity must be the ideal thing to prevent falling over.....

Cheers

Mick

It's not the low centre of gravity but the independently working legs (four remember) that all insist on doing a Genghis Khan simultaneously.

The resultant belly flop then means, I've grounded, and with all my legs sticking out It is almost impossible to get up without inhaling deeply and giving the impression of  weeble (We wobble but we don't fall down)

• RMweb Premium

...or possibly sarin or ricin.

Careful, THEY may be monitoring us!  :O 

Stayed at home due to migraine which began in the tiny hours and was given doctor's orders to rest till Sunday. May just have to do with the couple of near-misses that occurred since last week. Well, if some bunglecunts of motorists appear to enjoy pain so much, maybe I…but I suppose I'd better leave it at that.

Anyway, haven't eaten a lot yet, so maybe I should remedy that first.

At least I have a decent reason for not attending Warley - though funnily enough I’ve often had the urge to cross the Atlantic to visit the big Scottish Show. A quick in and out without having to go through any London airport appeals to me.

The craic is what I miss the most...

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Happy I am not, :threaten: stupid computer failed to save six hours work (automated save in a test program, ) tried it again, very carefully making sure I clicked all the right buttons, yep failed again. Wiped the history file it's supposed to load it into, and it created a new file  and saved this time.

Now it's running we've just had a mains hiccup and lost one section of  20 minutes in the 6 hours run, so I'll have to do that again :threaten:

Meanwhile the windows 10 updates I mentioned earlier have completed on my desk computer, this one hasn't started yet, and ***+*** one that didn't do it's job earlier shouldn't do it until this programme is finished (I hope).

Meanwhile an outside customers bit of equipment is going well, but thats all manual measurements (which is why I got lumbered...)

Edited by TheQ

It's a bit like the first time you smell cannabis - you never forget what it smells like, and time is not a healer.

We went to Totnes a few weeks ago and the humungously strong smell of cannabis at the top of the town was no more. On several previous visits it smelt like the entire cannabis production of a small country.

Hope you escape hospital before my missus does Purley Oaks. She got a date for her knee op of 22nd Dec. I can see where I will be spending Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

• Like 2

At least I have a decent reason for not attending Warley - though funnily enough I’ve often had the urge to cross the Atlantic to visit the big Scottish Show. A quick in and out without having to go through any London airport appeals to me.

Best, Pete.

I am sure there is an opening there about missing the craic/crack but it is one comedy cul-de-sac I wont venture down today

Hope you escape hospital before my missus does Purley Oaks. She got a date for her knee op of 22nd Dec. I can see where I will be spending Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Better make sure the surgeon isn't on the annual Xmas staff night out on the 21st! :nono:

Mal

• Like 5

We went to Totnes a few weeks ago and the humungously strong smell of cannabis at the top of the town was no more.....

"Highs" don't last forever.

I see that yet another attempt to legalise cannabis is being made. In the rush to derive tax revenue from it, its proponents clearly don't, or rather don't want to, understand how it can exacerbate mental illness.

• RMweb Gold

"Highs" don't last forever.

I see that yet another attempt to legalise cannabis is being made. In the rush to derive tax revenue from it, its proponents clearly don't, or rather don't want to, understand how it can exacerbate mental illness.

Very useful and well-written, and yes, I have used their feedback form to that effect. Not being a smoker, this and other drugs have passed me by - alcohol has most of the benefits I "need"! I will be passing it to Alison, who herself has never used drugs - but has three sons now getting towards the target audience age. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Very useful and well-written, and yes, I have used their feedback form to that effect. Not being a smoker, this and other drugs have passed me by - alcohol has most of the benefits I "need"! I will be passing it to Alison, who herself has never used drugs - but has three sons now getting towards the target audience age. 

We have a neighbor in one of the flats is often on the drug. The problem is that it blows into our house when we have a window or conservatory door open. I cant stand the smell of it. Luckily we are often not at home at weekends.

Edited by roundhouse

Hello from a very dull Somerset.

I do believe that the rain has actually stopped falling, which is good news - and we only had 4mm yesterday which should not have caused too many problems.

Man cold has receded now and normality is beginning to return and I may treat myself to a nostalgic spell of listening to railway tape recordings that I made in the mid-1970s. It is difficult to believe they are now 40 years old.

40 years old, how time flies... chatting with the Bobby at Bardon Hill last week we were discussing up and coming railtours which might be worth a punt, he reminded me that next February will be the fortieth anniversary of the mighty Western Tribute tour when D1013 and D1023 did the honours for the last time. Scary thought that!

• Like 2

The information and suggestions within Jamie`s personal message, has been a wonderful reassurance and I now feel much more relaxed and confident about making Saturday at the Warley exhibition, a great experience. Thank you Jamie........The 'family' that is our E.R`s is {as always} such a great support and resource. :good:

Debs,

Playing catch up after a night on a Paramedic car.  Park yourself behind Höchstädt (B60) whenever you want.

Bill

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Mrs Stationmaster duly delivered to (the pavement outside) the audiology dept at the RBH in good time this a.m.  I then duly wasted my time driving around, and around, and around until I found a parking space in the next road about 10 minutes before she rang saying whatever it was had been completed.  Thence to fuel the Good Doctor's car (petrol at £1.11.9 and not actually the cheapest on offer in Reading) and finally to Tesco  while heading home.  Arrived home to duly find the bins had been emptied - good, and that some snotbungle had dumped a back of rubbish by our empty.  Being thoroughly public spirited I duly kicked the bag of someone else's recyclable rubbish down the road - nuffin to do wif me guv and it's now off my frontage, whoever dumped it there can pick it up at their convenience.

On a brighter note I  have just, literally received the questionnaire for my hospital visit on Monday - good job I have several days in which to complete it!  And on an even brighter note confirmation of the THV Patricia booking for next year with price maintained at last year's level (which was the same as the previous year) less a 7.5% discount 'as a thank you for you continued custom'   The only catch is the need to pay the deposit of course.

As far as the Warley show goes I think the entrance price (and I invariably pay at the door) at £15 is quite reasonable for such a large event and interestingly the Saturday parking fee at Reading station car park is also £12 so my total, apart from the diesel to get to & from Reading, to attend the show is £27 excluding any purchases and food & drink which makes it a pretty reasonably priced day out.  As Pete has also reiterated the best thing about a show like this is meeting and chatting with folk although obviously there are some great things to see as well but it does get very crowded.

Have a  good day one & all.

• Like 16

Is the NEC as expensive as the Jaarbeurs (where Eurospoor is held)? A day ticket is 12 euro. Last time I went (2012) our (then) secretary reserved 4 free parking tickets for himself, even though he had a wedding anniversary that weekend and wouldn't attend at all. He did show up on Sunday though. As a result, I had to buy 4 daytickets, that's nearly 50 euro :yes:  To say I wasn't too pleased is an understatement :angry:  He since left the club, joined our sister club instead but I understood recently his doctors now give him 2 yrs max  :O :rolleyes:

Really inappropriate use of smileys.

Ed

Careful, THEY may be monitoring us!  :O 

Stayed at home due to migraine which began in the tiny hours and was given doctor's orders to rest till Sunday. May just have to do with the couple of near-misses that occurred since last week. Well, if some bunglec*nts of motorists appear to enjoy pain so much, maybe I…but I suppose I'd better leave it at that.

Anyway, haven't eaten a lot yet, so maybe I should remedy that first.

There, that's better

Ed

Edited by edcayton
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Best, Pete.

While we were waiting to board our ship in Southampton recently we were chatting to a couple from Rhode Island. They didn't like flying to London either and had flown from Boston to Dublin and then to Southampton.