The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I learned to skate when I was 11 and we were still living in Canada. I found skating quite easy, but then I was still quite young. I could probably still skate now, I'd just be a little rusty, I think it's a bit like riding a bike, you never forget how to, you just aren't as quick as you were.

Never could roller skate though.

The advantage of parachuting is there in only one way to go. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good to see Debs among us once more and coming straight to the point as usual.  trust the vocal department is well on the mend.

Rain has actually stopped and I don't think the river has risen very much as yet - that will be in a couple of days time when all stories of weather in faraway places such as Bristol and Yorkshire will give way to shock horror, national disaster tales as the Thames struggles to rise to the top of its banks threatening continuing civilisation in the western world.

Very nice fettucine yesterday evening in the excellent cafe run by a Colombian chap and his Polish wife - one remarkable thing is the consistency of the food which is amazing; I have had the fettucine cooked at various times by three different people and it is always exactly the same, very good, taste (mind you all three of them are Polish, maybe that helps?).

Have a good day everybody and may the weather not bother you and your ills and ailments show improvement.

• Like 17

I`m hoping to have a cheering-up day out to the Warley M.R exhibition (which will also represent my first visit to the N.E.C) and so I`d like to ask for a little advice from any E.R`s whom have previously attended Warley.

Having some ongoing health issues, my breathing capacity and stamina for walking about is a little limited and I do have to use a oxygen nebuliser (self powered) at embarrassingly regular intervals.......and being keen not to make a fuss; I wonder if there are any quiet corners within the exhibition hall, where one might be able to sit and {as far as possible} not represent too much a public spectacle?.......Normally I retire to the car to do this when traveling, but I`ve been advised that the car parking at the NEC, might not be sufficiently close to hand, and not being the possessor of a "Blue Badge", I can`t use any of the more access-favourable parking areas.

Passepartout will be accompanying me on the day, to assist with practicalities; should we come upon another Aouda! :friends:

Please do say hello if you happen to see us on Saturday, although you probably can`t miss me; being 5` 14" :mosking: ..........I`m having to use a 'text to voice' App on my `phone to 'speak', and the App`s predictive-text feature often adds a frisson of situational levity and mirth to social meetings.......so please, go with the flow and laugh along with me. :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Is there actually any real difference between a strike day and a non-strike day on the Southern notwork?

I am beginning to think that!!

Mind you others were late today on Southeastern and last night out of Waterloo due to signalling issues plus Thameslink heading North of London was a mess.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the village, where for a short time we have had no liquid sunshine. A good night was had last night at our annual meal out with all the outlaws. Father in Law has been hosting this for nearly 40 years and each year tells us it will be the last one. He was very tired when we dropped him off last night but does remarkably well for 91. Pompous brother in law was even quite good company and for once I didn't have an overwhelming desire to thump him.

We've been back to the minor injuries centre this morning for Beth's stress fracture to be looked at. Not a lot of progress but we are to go back Friday. Now it's a day of chilling and relaxing after a busy weekend. Beth can still drive as the fracture is in her left foot, so has set off for a Lunch with her old schools friends, collectively known as the old BAGGS from the initials of the school. As I am in temporary charge of the house I can safely have curried eggs for dinner which I am now looking forward to.

I have PM'd Debs and assured her that she has many friends on here who will be on stands where there may well be space and a chair for her to sit behind layouts etc, as well as mentioning other corners.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 9

I`m hoping to have a cheering-up day out to the Warley M.R exhibition (which will also represent my first visit to the N.E.C) and so I`d like to ask for a little advice from any E.R`s whom have previously attended Warley.

Having some ongoing health issues, my breathing capacity and stamina for walking about is a little limited and I do have to use a oxygen nebuliser (self powered) at embarrassingly regular intervals.......and being keen not to make a fuss; I wonder if there are any quiet corners within the exhibition hall, where one might be able to sit and {as far as possible} not represent too much a public spectacle?.......Normally I retire to the car to do this when traveling, but I`ve been advised that the car parking at the NEC, might not be sufficiently close to hand, and not being the possessor of a "Blue Badge", I can`t use any of the more access-favourable parking areas.

Passepartout will be accompanying me on the day, to assist with practicalities; should we come upon another Aouda! :friends:

Please do say hello if you happen to see us on Saturday, although you probably can`t miss me; being 5` 14" :mosking: ..........I`m having to use a 'text to voice' App on my `phone to 'speak', and the App`s predictive-text feature often adds a frisson of situational levity and mirth to social meetings.......so please, go with the flow and laugh along with me. :laugh:

Hi Debs. I too have walking and breathing difficulties. Specifically for exhibitions I bought a "rollator". It is a walker frame, but with 4 wheels Between the frame is a seat with a storage box underneath. I can walk up to a layout, turn the gadget around and have a ring-side seat! Got mine second-hand from the local mobility centre for £40.

Enjoy the show

Ed

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Jamie , I am glad to read that you could give Debs some advice about the NEC. I have never been to the Warley exhibition but I did take Matthew to a Warhammer day there. I sat down quite a lot!

At least being 5' 14" Debs should have a good view of the layouts. After years of wearing flat shoes Aditi has bought some boots with 2" heels and I remarked they take her up to 4' 13" now.

Tony

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Jamie , I am glad to read that you could give Debs some advice about the NEC. I have never been to the Warley exhibition but I did take Matthew to a Warhammer day there. I sat down quite a lot!

At least being 5' 14" Debs should have a good view of the layouts. After years of wearing flat shoes Aditi has bought some boots with 2" heels and I remarked they take her up to 4' 13" now.

Tony

you have knee caps still?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have PM'd Debs and assured her that she has many friends on here who will be on stands where there may well be space and a chair for her to sit behind layouts etc, as well as mentioning other corners.

What a splendid response! I must admit having read Debs's post I felt any trivia I had to impart was simply inappropriate. 

Evidently I have reconsidered. Sherry tells me Exeter has no trains, and there now seems to be a thread on the subject. That city does seem to be a target for flooding, despite obvious channels that imply real money has been spent. Probably Cowley Bridge junction is a little too far out. 

I had a Hornby T9 which needed a decoder. I found one lying around - as you do - so opened the tender and popped it in. Off to the railway barn and yes, it answers to address 3, but no, it isn't very useable, with a very start-stop attitude despite altering starting voltage CV etc. . It had all the hallmarks of a decoder arguing with capacitors. Uncertain as to the manufacturer, I read CV8 and found 151. Back indoors, boot up the iMac and find a table, which shows it is ESU - a more expensive brand than I normally buy. Downloaded a pdf of technical stuff, and on page 68 (yes) found that resetting CV49 to 0 might be the answer. Back out to the barn and it worked fine, added suitable values for CVs 3 and 4, and it set off trundling gently about with a couple of those new Hornby Maunsell rebuilds. Just reminds me why I buy cheap decoders that offer fewer frills and take a great deal less setting-up. Sigh. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure more experienced Warley show people can give you more info, I've only been to Warley once but to dog shows at the NEC many times.

Parking can be a long way from the front doors try to get Passepartou to drop you off as close to the doors as security will allow.

The only seating at the NEC the year I was there at the Warley show, was  near the food stands (very expensive food) and around the display loco in the middle of the  hall, None were in a discrete area.

Your only advantage is the Male / female ratio is greatly in your favour unlike Dog shows where the ladies queue goes on for miles. One year I was at one the dog shows, the ladies spontainously took over one of the gents, the queues were that long!!!

........I have PM'd Debs and assured her that she has many friends on here who will be on stands where there may well be space and a chair for her to sit behind layouts etc, as well as mentioning other corners.

The information and suggestions within Jamie`s personal message, has been a wonderful reassurance and I now feel much more relaxed and confident about making Saturday at the Warley exhibition, a great experience. Thank you Jamie........The 'family' that is our E.R`s is {as always} such a great support and resource. :good:

• Like 15

Drove home from town today at about four o'clock and school kids were walking home in near darkness, wind, and rain. School uniforms were black from head to toe with a white shirt, that can only be seen from the front. I don't know who designs school uniforms but road safety doesn't seem to feature highly in the specification.

Stay safe all.

I could not agree more. Couple this with the staring constantly at a mobile phone screen and you have a recipe for disaster. This very morning I observed a young lady pass by our house with her eyes only for her phone. She didn't look away from it as she crossed the road junction. Neither did she see the rather large puddle in the gutter on the other side but she did jump as she got her feet wet!   

• RMweb Premium

Well that's the Christmas tree bucket finished. I've included a few photos, some of its construction and one of the finished item.

The frame.

post-27337-0-65300500-1479816724_thumb.jpeg

With the bendy MDF clamped on.

post-27337-0-51690900-1479816772_thumb.jpeg

Ready for painting.

post-27337-0-40298600-1479816833_thumb.jpeg

Painted and buffed up ready for the tree.

post-27337-0-65838100-1479816864_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

What a splendid response! I must admit having read Debs's post I felt any trivia I had to impart was simply inappropriate.

Evidently I have reconsidered. Sherry tells me Exeter has no trains, and there now seems to be a thread on the subject. That city does seem to be a target for flooding, despite obvious channels that imply real money has been spent. Probably Cowley Bridge junction is a little too far out.

I had a Hornby T9 which needed a decoder. I found one lying around - as you do - so opened the tender and popped it in. Off to the railway barn and yes, it answers to address 3, but no, it isn't very useable, with a very start-stop attitude despite altering starting voltage CV etc. . It had all the hallmarks of a decoder arguing with capacitors. Uncertain as to the manufacturer, I read CV8 and found 151. Back indoors, boot up the iMac and find a table, which shows it is ESU - a more expensive brand than I normally buy. Downloaded a pdf of technical stuff, and on page 68 (yes) found that resetting CV49 to 0 might be the answer. Back out to the barn and it worked fine, added suitable values for CVs 3 and 4, and it set off trundling gently about with a couple of those new Hornby Maunsell rebuilds. Just reminds me why I buy cheap decoders that offer fewer frills and take a great deal less setting-up. Sigh.

The decoder may have been purchased as a Bachmann decoder. All their early ones were ESU. I think the newer ones come up as Soundtraxx manufacturer ID code. Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

I've not been to the Warley show at the NEC for about 5 years. Until recently, I'd not been up to driving long distances (not forgetting the travel time) unless I really had to. It still tires me out now, but it's getting easier as time progresses. It's usually a very good show, but you definitely can't walk from the car park, you really do need to wait for the shuttle bus, which I always found to be a very service. You just need to remember WHICH CAR PARK you used. Oh and it's best to pay the parking fee before you go into the show, as the cues to pay after you leave can be horrendous, it gives you a quicker getaway too! As has already been mentioned the food is quite expensive, I generally take my own and the seating can be very hit and miss, it's quite often a case of grab one when you see one vacant.

However, as it's now so close to the Manchester show, I won't be going this year. The Manchester show, from my front door is a 15 minute walk, a 15 minute train ride and another 10 minute walk, it's so much easier than 2-3 hours driving there and the same amount back and on top of that the time spent at the show, for which you do need a full day! It all makes for a very long day.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The information and suggestions within Jamie`s personal message, has been a wonderful reassurance and I now feel much more relaxed and confident about making Saturday at the Warley exhibition, a great experience. Thank you Jamie........The 'family' that is our E.R`s is {as always} such a great support and resource. :good:

I think Jamie's idea is great as there can be a distinct shortage of places available to sit down - although there has been a positive effort over the years to add some more seating areas.  I hardly dare to say it but I think they might make mobility scooters available at the NEC although it sounds as if your need is for occasional rest rather than a problem with mobility - might be worth enquiring maybe?

I always go to Warley on the Saturday (except this year when I'm not going at all for 'medical' reasons - double hernia, seeing the surgeon next Monday) and it can get very busy and some areas get very crowded which can be a bit strenuous and rather trying especially if you're not on top form (it might be worth taking the awl ;) ).  All of that makes Jamie's idea an even better thing as that way you'll have a chance to get away from the maddening crowds.  So have a great day and sorry to miss you 

• RMweb Premium

Just to clear up any possible misunderstanding. I have made this suggestion to help Debs in her very specific circumstances and do not in any way suggest it as a general way of providing more seating within such a large venue. I would ask that it is treated in the spirit in which it was made. Many layouts would not welcome 'strangers' in their operating areas for very good reasons.

This is a special offer to one very special ER.

However I have often been helped by layout owners that I know who have allowed me to store rucksacks and jackets safely while looking around large shows, and have been very grateful. I even had someone's jacket stored behind my demonstration table this last weekend.

Jamie

• Like 8