The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Sun's out. looks like I will be able to spray.

Sun's out here as well now but I don't think I'll be doing anything modelling related like spraying though! It looks as though it may be worth putting some washing on the line. My neighbours are returning from Denbighshire today. I shall of course tell them it has been sunny every day here while they have been away.

I'm not aware of ever having seen any services like these :unsure: . Do you remember how long ago it may have been that you saw these? I was just thinking whether this may have been during the time where the 612s caused so much trouble due to their wheelsets, in which case I could imagine there was a shortage of them which was compensated by replacement services hauled by 218s.

It would have been a while ago now - at least five years because that's when I left the company in Frankfurt. Time flies! I don't think the units had been in service that long at that time. So it might well have been related to the wheelset problems.

Unfortunately, units seem to be springing up everywhere. I guess the Boppard-Emmelshausen line must have gone over to units by now - I know they were planning to.

The owls have just about stopped hooting now.

Thinking about it, I haven't seen or heard an owl for ages - there don't seem to be too many of them around here. Where I grew up, there were loads of owls in the woods around.

One of the strangest things I ever saw as a kid was a luminescent barn owl :O

Another Sunny day here in New York area - except it is still pitch black out and the sky is star strewn. Expecting some rain tomorrow evening and overnight.

Glad the Elections are over as the stupid adverts will stop. It's time's like this when one realizes that this really is a foreign country and not some offshoot of the UK.

Have a nice day!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

It would have been a while ago now - at least five years because that's when I left the company in Frankfurt. Time flies! I don't think the units had been in service that long at that time. So it might well have been related to the wheelset problems.

Unfortunately, units seem to be springing up everywhere. I guess the Boppard-Emmelshausen line must have gone over to units by now - I know they were planning to.

I asked a friend of mine earlier this morning and he said there were, in fact, loco-hauled peak hour services operated with 218s which terminated at St. Wendel. This must have been in the days when the Saarbrücken line was operated with class 611 units, which in turn were replaced by the 612s. Actually, the 612s were intended to be free of several technical problems which the 611s were plagued with, but turned out to not be terribly much better <_< .

Guest Max Stafford

I can sympathise with you there Pete. I'd be glad to see the back of all that shrill propaganda too!.

Mike, good luck with the bird-spotting. I've put three hanging feeders out, but no takers so far. All I get at the moments is the local starlings and Jackdaws coming in for the suet on the table!

Robert - I don't like the tilting Pendolinos over here for the same reason - the motion does make one feel a bit unwell at times.

As if there wasn't sufficient reason to dislike them already with the cramped and poorly designed internal layout and the irritating on-board communication systems... :rolleyes:

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

As if there wasn't sufficient reason to dislike them already with the cramped and poorly designed internal layout and the irritating on-board communication systems... :rolleyes:

I think the space problem which I, too, have heard many comments about is essentially a direct consequence of these trains being meant to tilt in the first place. The bodies need to be narrower towards the roof so as to not intrude into the clearance for the opposite track when tilting to the inside of a curve.

Morning all...

Is there an organisation that deals with internet addicts? Our BT line went down as the trees wore a hole in the cable again. Had no internet since yesterday afternoon and I've been climbing the walls. I never realised how much I used the web. Shopping, information and keeping in touch all gone. Glad to say normal service is back today, but I feel like I've been through cold turkey...

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about it, I haven't seen or heard an owl for ages - there don't seem to be too many of them around here. Where I grew up, there were loads of owls in the woods around.

One of the strangest things I ever saw as a kid was a luminescent barn owl :O

Harry Potter?

• RMweb Gold

Yep it's true. Just how did we waste, oops, utilize our time twenty years ago? Oh, I remember, we were busy working hard.......

Best, Pete

20 years ago I had to work for someone who was convinced that computers were a passing fad and that electric typewriters would be in use for at least the next generation. As we were working for an organisation promoting new technology in schools it did lead to occasional work based "difficulties".

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

I almost didn't get on today, as I decided to take a bus trip with Mrs 45156 and it was so nice to get out that we stretched the trip out so that we didn't get back until about half past two, and the arrival of a lot of post that had to be dealt with meant that I had to skip over the RM Web home page and go to lots of sites that are a lot less fun.

But Mrs 45156 got an invite to go out and leave me home alone, so that's given me a chance to do some catching up.

Went into the paper shop to see if they had this month's MR, so I could have a look at Gordon's handiwork, but they were still selling the old one, so I'll try again somewhere else.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Feeling a bit cold right now, so I think I'll prepare some tea now. Think I'll be going easy on the coffee for the next few days, though, as I cannot rule out this to have been involved in the most recent migraine attack. As I mentioned earlier this week, I'll see my GP today and talk this over with him. Perhaps I should have done this sooner, but, well...

Weather is predicted to be windy and increasingly rainy over the next several days. When I was riding the train to the city and back yesterday, I did notice there was quite a bit of wheelslip involved, and the drivers made good use of their sand, too. Think it should now pay off that those 423s have been refitted with additional sanding units! :blink:

Have a good day everyone! :)

Morning All,

Another day has yet to dawn - but it looks like it is going to be a windy and wet one. Unseasonably warm too. It should result in many of the autumnal coloured leaves that are currently still on the trees coming down. (Which of course will result in more wheelslip and more sanding! :rolleyes:)

I am not looking forward to the next couple of days too much either!

Have a good day everyone...

Actually got to bed early last night, 10:15pm! Then woke with a splitting headache an hour ago at 2:00am! Now drinking a pint of tea and I'll have one more before going back to bed.

We're expecting some rain today - it has been so dry that there was a 100 acre brush fire at Edison, NJ yesterday.......

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

Autumn colours have suddenly appeared this week and have to agree with Dd that it is spectacular.

Can't believe it's almost Friday already?!

Nothing much else to report really, although I did overtake a cyclist whilst cycling into college today (and payed the price for it later! laugh.gif)

Think I will find time this weekend to work on the layout and try out some of the Siflor tufts.