The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

To prevent unfortunate incidents of this nature in future, replace a section of the support tube with plastic pipe and connect the upper metallic part to 230V AC 50 Hz, although you might want to add a resistor is series with the supply if you want to stay out of the High Court. Either way, it won't affect the birds in the slightest.

Being both a retired electrician and a J.P., I'm afraid as much as I would wish to do this, I fear I may find myself in places I only visited. 

To prevent unfortunate incidents of this nature in future, replace a section of the support tube with plastic pipe and connect the upper metallic part to 230V AC 50 Hz, although you might want to add a resistor is series with the supply if you want to stay out of the High Court. Either way, it won't affect the birds in the slightest.

We had one wired up to an electric fence witch was all very well till the culprit went on holiday and muggins went to fill it up and found out the hard way!

Evening All,

Intoxicating substances consumed, innocent passers-by gunned down and a great time was had by all (I am, of course, referring to my video game & Negronis evening)

Because he told several major untruths, which swayed a number of voters (I've met several). He then admitted that what he had promised wouldn't happen, immediately after the referendum result (at least that is how I remember it).

If someone sold you an air ticket for a specific flight and then changed the destination, cost, etc. after you had paid then you would be right to ask for the contract to be cancelled and your money back. Or have I got modern politics and commerce wrong?

If the UK (or any other country for that matter) was to be led by politicians who only told the truth, the House of Commons might see as much as 3 MPs on a good day. I see Farage's being "economical with the truth" being no different to the huge whoppers told by the other side. Anyone who believed the stories and promises put out by either side must have been naive, optimistic or desperate... Quite frankly, the best that one can hope for nowadays is that the manifesto of the party one votes for indicates that the party in question is roughly going in the right direction that you - the voter - wants it to go in. Anyone who expects a party to deliver "free treacle sponge for all" as stated in their manifesto is going to be severely disappointed, but the voter who is expecting from said party nothing more than a favourable disposition towards steamed puddings - despite what the manifesto pledges - is not going to be disappointed.

Yep, that's modern politics for you: identity politics, virtue signalling, no opinions held that haven't been tested out by focus groups, unrealistic promises and simplistic proposals for dealing with complex problems (not to mention riding the gravy train/snouts in the trough/fingers in the till and jobbies for the boys...). By God do we need a Vetinari!

G'night all

iD

Edited by iL Dottore

.... Anyone who expects a party to deliver "free treacle sponge for all" as stated in their manifesto is going to be severely disappointed, but the voter who is expecting from said party nothing more than a favourable disposition towards steamed puddings - despite what the manifesto pledges - is not going to be disappointed......

http://youtu.be/P2MQEYrjmZs

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had a lot of problems with Cobalts on our home layout as well. Fair play to DCC concepts, they upheld their lifetime guarantee and replaced them, some with later models which i'm told don't have the problems of some earlier ones. Time will tell.

Our exhibition layout uses cheap servo motors which have been trouble free now for several years and we find are a lot quieter than Cobalts or Tortoise motors.

As some of you will know, or have sussed out, I have more than a passing interest in all things DCC Concepts.

I will be having a chat with Bill at Warley to try and help him out.

There are known historic problems with some of the earlier models and these have since been designed out as Jol says a few posts back.

However, as I hope you'll understand, that is all I will say here, as all other Cobalt correspondence will be in other places.

Back to the holiday.

Whilst loading at Charlotte to fly to Philadelphia for onward to Manchester, we were informed that the flight was full and to take your allocated seats. As we were "Group 3" in the loading order behind every man and his dog with some sort of priority, credit card, frequent flyer, name begins with the letter "S", we were in the last 10 or so on board an Airbus 319, despite being at the gate ahead of the vast majority of the passengers.

Once on board, they announced that if you couldn't fit your carry on in the overhead or under the seat, then it had to be checked into the hold. At least the likes of the budget carriers inform the passengers of this BEFORE the plane is boarded to give passengers the chance to check it into the hold without any charge.

As for boarding, why do people have to have a chat with their fellow passengers whilst standing and blocking the aisle, bearing in mind that those that are first on are usually towards the front of the plane and some of us may actually want to sit further back. Also having plenty of discussions about which seat they are sat in. The row in front was a case in point. One of the passengers behind us upon seeing his seat was occupied, said "I'm in seat F" (a window). The reply from the current incumbent in seat F was "I have a ticket for seat A (the other window) - you can sit in that one".

Just sit in your allocated seat in the first place, you c*ckwomble.....

As we were transferring and only had about 90 minutes at Philly, we (Mrs NB) was reluctant to give up her carry on as it contained all our travel documents, money and one or two fragile items. As we were virtually last on despite the early gate arrival, there was no overhead locker space and the stewardess pretty much demanded that her bag was checked into the hold. When Mrs NB protested about our short transfer the stewardess agreed that we needed the bag and backed off to the safety of her crew space.

There seemed to be little finding of any overhead locker space by the crew. Then one of the ground crew walked down about 5 minutes before scheduled departure with a bag tag and simply said. "The bag goes in the hold, here's a luggage tag to check through to Manchester. The bag goes in the hold or we don't fly. End of".

Arrogant tw@t.

Cue much activity emptying out the relevant stuff into mine and Junior NB's bags. We almost forgot the passports - now that would've really screwed our international return. Within about 2 minutes of the door closing behind the ground crew with our bag, we were pushing back, so had no idea if our bag had made it into the hold.

And then the onward flight from Philly to Manchester.A few weeks ago, we changed our seat allocations from ABC, one row from a toilet, on a Airbus 330 (2+4+2 seating), so one of us was in the centre section, to CDE on a row away from the toilets.

Boarding passes issued and they're still the same ABC on the same row. We questioned this and they said that seats were only allocated 24 hours before and our attempted change a few weeks ago was only a "preference". So if they're only allocated 24 hours in advance, how did we end up in the same seats as originally allocated weeks ago, despite our preference to change. Bunglec*nts.

Then more passenger fun at boarding as two girls (early 20s) two rows in front, spied the four behind me (CDEF) free with about 20 minutes to departure. They decided to camp there as it was better than the two seats they had.

Two minutes later, the four passengers with those seat allocations arrived and wanted the girls to move. The two were reluctant to move until firmly told by cabin crew to sit in their allocated seats.

Just sit in your allocated seat in the first place, you c*ckwomble.....

More chaos ensued as the two wanted to go in the opposite direction to the four and couldn't get their head round the fact that they could've exited the seats in the other aisle and walked down to the cross-corridor. C*ckwomble plus.

I managed to get bitten by an insect just above my ankle on the last day and I don't always have a good reaction to these things and it had started to swell slightly meaning that my anle became very painful. "Where were the painkillers?", I asked Mrs NB. Yep you've guessed it, in the bag that had been removed from us the previous flight and it's location wasn't entirely known to us. It was hurting to the point that I couldn't sleep and the recourse was to the cabin staff and a couple of aspirin.

Then we retuned to Manchester for 3degC, sleet and flooding motorways. More c*ckwomble activity with speeding drivers and lack of lights. At least we managed a crash free route as there were plenty of reports of incidents on the M56/M60/M62/M6, but not near the bits we were using.

Much sleep was had and the golf club annual award evening attended where Mrs NB and myself collected 4 prizes between us.

(As you probably guess by this missive - I am now well wide awake). I don't have to get two work until about noon Saturday, but it could be a long one from then.

Apart from that, the trip was really good.

Apologies for some rail related pics...

One for Dom - Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) Blue Line. Just round the corner form our first overnight stay. This is part of the elevated sections where it crosses a number of busy roads

post-408-0-99963100-1479518840_thumb.jpg

A stopover in Gaffney SC for lunch. By chance, we found a Food Network TV Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives featured diner, but this was the view the other way...... 4787 is a EMD SD70M,  a General Electric ES44AC 7500 and 3829 is another SD70M. About 13000hp up front.

post-408-0-02731600-1479518842_thumb.jpg

The wedding was in Greenville SC. The day after, we had a wander into downtown and what was once a heavily industrialised and run down area has been transformed into a pleasant space to spend an hour or two. Falls Park on the Reedy River

post-408-0-17570700-1479518843_thumb.jpg

A wrong turn in Savannah resulted in this find of Georgia Central Railway GP38/GP20/GP9. There is a connection between the colour scheme of the far two locos and a UK freight operating company - and it's not Colas Rail

post-408-0-22137500-1479518844_thumb.jpg

After dropping off MRS and Junior for their food trip, I headed to the Alabama Junction area and came across this old bridge that once took the Central Railway Of Georgia into Savannah city.

post-408-0-91149100-1479518844_thumb.jpg

Viewed from the platform at Savannah Amtrak station, a southbound CSX service headed by SD70MAC 4826, with an ES40DC/C40-8/GP38-3 for company. (Before you think I'm an expert on US motive power, it's dead easy to research loco fleets with this interweb thingy)

post-408-0-73457200-1479518845_thumb.jpg

There was quite a bit of haze created by the wildfires far upstate in eastern Georgia, South & North Carolina. It hadn't rained in that area for 10-12 weeks.

post-408-0-51905200-1479518846_thumb.jpg

Savannah Amtrak station is described as "functional". Despite there only being a maximum of 6 trains each day, The Silver Star, Silver Meteor and Palmetto, the ticket office is manned with two people for most of the day............)

post-408-0-31556500-1479518847_thumb.jpg

This is a transfer service from Savannah docks to the main Savannah yard, headed by Rail Link's 1210, a EMD SW1001-1 and CF7 (A different operating company to the previous orange/yellow/black locos, but with the same UK link. Rail Link seem to operat a lot of the switcher/transfer duties in the Savannah area on behalf of CSX

post-408-0-10134800-1479518848_thumb.jpg

First Coast Railroad 1605 - A EMD GP16. Yet another orange loco with another company name. Looking like a new repaint I think this was on transfer to the First Coast Railroad which operates in the deep south of Georgia and into Florida. FCRR only has four locos, so to find this away from home was lucky

post-408-0-87847100-1479518848_thumb.jpg

And a SW9 switcher shuffling about the Columbia Oil terminal on Telfair Road. It must have made about 6 moves across the road as this is the shunting neck into the oil terminal with sidings that seem about two cars long.

post-408-0-84016900-1479518964_thumb.jpg

I'll post a few "normal" holiday snaps later and reveal the UK connection with the various companies above. (Unless any of our US enthusiasts know.........)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Semi-frustrating day. Since the old laptop started warning us about impending HDD failure, we decided to replace it. Yesterday we bought anew unit and passed ours over to the dealer to transfer data etc. Brought it home and am tryinh to deal with Windows 10.

This post comes from the iPad.

• RMweb Premium

A convivial evening had with a long time railway modelling friend. Tetleys dark mild on offer so I drank a pint or two. Takes me back to 1975 when, as an engineering student in Leeds I was told to drink that and not the Bitter.

Breakfast to be eaten then off back to Leeds for some indoor ladies cricket umpiring before a return here for the concert tonight.

Have a great day. Sleep well Rick

Baz

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Mick

Sorry to hear of your flight woes. Were both flights the same Arline and did you book direct?

I now generally book direct if I can and find that if I do then I get the seats that I have selected. However if it's a code share and a different operators plane then that were we have had our seats reallocated.

The Orange locos parent company now own One of our operators.

Morning all

A very good run up the M25, M40 and M1 till just before Sheffield where are delay was shown and getting worse so we came off and worked our way through urban Sheffield then rejoining Ned at Meadowhall.

Layout set up in plenty of time for opening at 5.30. A busy evening then after closing at 9pm we headed into Wakefield town centre for a few jars.

Speedy Gonzales got us back to othe hotel in what must have been record time for a taxi. Good job the inside had handrails.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Off to Berlin later to assist in furnishing a flat, so looking forward to a little bit of a road trip. Weather is unappealing, and has been so since the afternoon ours yesterday.

Re my quiz photos from last night, one of the following images may serve as a clue to where I had taken them! :yes:

20161118-_dsc0700axjup.jpg

1341-1319 at the top end of Line 4 at Landsberger Straße on my first part…

20161118-_dsc0703-26gj6g.jpg

…followed by a fairly short second part on a Line 16E extra service due to a tourism and camping exhibition currently taking place. Here, 2158-2055 are seen stood…well, where is that, Vincent?  :scratchhead:  :wink_mini:

20161118-_dsc0705k2j1p.jpg

While this is unmistakably at the Exhibition Centre, of course.

Will try looking in later, so, enjoy your day, everyone…

• Like 15

Good morning all !

Today the state is to ban all cold calls inviting us to fritter away our pension fund !

Our biggest cold callers are those automated messages about 'benefit changes' which mysteriously ring from a different 'std code' every time - how do they do that ?  Yes, I can block it on my Truecall machine but of course the number changes next time they ring........

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all !

Today the state is to ban all cold calls inviting us to fritter away our pension fund !

Our biggest cold callers are those automated messages about 'benefit changes' which mysteriously ring from a different 'std code' every time - how do they do that ? Yes, I can block it on my Truecall machine but of course the number changes next time they ring........

I am getting a cold call once every weekday. However it's a different last four digits every day so it's difficult to block but I just don't answer it any more. Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Went out to the MRC last night, 18:30 and ice was forming on the windscreen, chatting to others at the club, those of us near the coast had ice but inland didn't most unusual it's normally the other way around. This morning as well as heavy frost there are little trails of snow where we must have had a small shower.

When I've had breakfast, it will be time to get into full warm sailing gear, as I'm off to the the motor boat to finish the final bit of winterisation, draining the drinking water tanks.

After that it's back to the house and trim a little off the bottom of our bedroom door. The house has moved a little, 1906 house, lime mortar walls, very little foundations.

Depending on time left then it'll be some work on the model railway shed before getting ready for a dinner at the sailing club.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning al from  slightly damp village.  No white stuff this morning in the southern uplands of Leeds.  Off to the show again shortly for another day.  

Baz, I also used to drink Tetley's mild as it didn't give me a headache, bitter always did, even just a couple of pints. 

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

It's a bit frosty here but there is blue sky and sunshine and it should stay that way for most of the day. Rain is forecast for this evening.

Mrs GDB aka The Boss is already busy in the kitchen making preparations for tonight's do. This is actually in honour of my birthday which is not until  December but it's the only Saturday before Christmas that we can get the immediate family all together in one place. I will of course be supervising proceedings but will have to do it from a distance because I've been told to keep out from under her feet. I really don't know how she'll manage without my help.  :scratchhead:

This afternoon there is the England match v Fiji to watch and I'm looking forward to that. I suspect a beer or two might accompany the game before the meal tonight.

Have a good one, I certainly intend to,

Bob.

• Like 4

Good morning all,

It's a bit frosty here but there is blue sky and sunshine and it should stay that way for most of the day. Rain is forecast for this evening.

Mrs GDB aka The Boss is already busy in the kitchen making preparations for tonight's do. This is actually in honour of my birthday which is not until  December but it's the only Saturday before Christmas that we can get the immediate family all together in one place. I will of course be supervising proceedings but will have to do it from a distance because I've been told to ...

Bob.

So GDB now has an "Official" birthday - just like the queen.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday was POETS - easy when you have a day working from home.

Today is "We need go go and get some fabric/sewing machine needles" day.

I may be gone some time.

I got some material that made the coach roof's fro my Midland EMU's from a shop like you will be visiting.  The stressed out mothers of several brides to be were not amused at me wittering on about hex weave fabric whilst brandishing a wooden roof moulding.  The assistant though was very good and I got all the stuff I needed for 50p.   1 square metre of bridal veil that makes fabulous 7mm chicken wire.   So be adventurous and turn every opportunity into a modelling one.  Good luck.

Jamie

• Like 13

Good morning from a very cold Somerset. The showers are gathering again by the looks of the sky to the west.

40mm of rain now in the last 72 hours, and much more to come overnight by the looks of the forecast (with maybe snow over the hills, although the forecasts seem too cowardly to mention it these days in marginal situations; possibly in fear of extreme media exaggeration). However we will have to go some to beat Nov 2012, when we had 186mm in the month and the allotment vanished under water - but records are there to be broken.

A couple of spoons of cough mixture before bed resulted in a calm night, so things might be improving slowly.