The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening, from a sofa in a village.

There was snow on the mountain road on the way home, only a sprinkling ...

The most dramatic thing I can say about our weather is that it was quite breezy on the roof top car park at Waitrose.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You will find Rome a quite unique challenge, especially if - like I was - you are a pedestrian.

My brother suggested only crossing when nuns or people with babies were attempting to cross. However I didn't find any problem when we were in Rome recently. Near most major crossings there were uniformed traffic officers. It was November though.

• Like 1

Evening, from a sofa in a village.

There was snow on the mountain road on the way home, only a sprinkling but no doubt there will be cars heaped up upside down on top of one another up there by now.  Manx driving....and their parking is worse.

I could never go on a cruise, given the first career I would be trying to get into the engineroom most of the time.  The rest of the time I would be on the bridge being rude to the deck officers.  Tradition.

There was snow at quite low levels in Cumbria as well today. Hopefully it will not be there tomorrow, as we are driving to Shropshire for a family birthday weekend. Loads of good food and wine to be consumed.

We may visit Iron Bridge, as most of us haven't been there before. I was rather surprised by their prices, i.e. 10% higher with gift aid. Given that they then get another 20% gift aid from HMRC, this gives the, a total of 30% extra with gift aid. But why would anyone choose to pay an extra 10% for no gain to themselves. I just don't understand this. Perhaps someone could explain it to me?

• Like 1

My brother suggested only crossing when nuns or people with babies were attempting to cross. However I didn't find any problem when we were in Rome recently. Near most major crossings there were uniformed traffic officers. It was November though.

I think they get worse as the weather warms up. I was there in July / August. A lot of the cars seem to have dents in the bodywork.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

... Iron Bridge, as most of us haven't been there before. I was rather surprised by their prices, i.e. 10% higher with gift aid. Given that they then get another 20% gift aid from HMRC, this gives the, a total of 30% extra with gift aid. But why would anyone choose to pay an extra 10% for no gain to themselves. I just don't understand this. Perhaps someone could explain it to me?

From their website.

"Why are there two different prices for single site admission Tickets?

As an education and heritage conservation charity, if you pay us the higher amount and Gift Aid your donation, we can claim back 25% of the total cost of the ticket from the HMRC. This makes a huge difference to us and helps support all of our charitable work."

Think of it as a donation. Many museums and exhibitions do this.

Edited by Tony_S

Good evening all!

Be careful what you wish for ...

Chris

Surely, Be careful of that for which you wish?

Appointment with Dr Rheumatologist concludes that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. After consultation, had chest hands and feet X-Rays and collected new medication. Two blood test required in next 4 weeks and appointment with Sister Rheumatologist to be arranged in 4 - 6 weeks time.

Employer, whilst asking if there's anything that can be done to enhance my working environment, has withdrawn my services from our stand at Warley! I hope our guests from Kato and Maerklin will respect my replacement!

All is not lost and after some careful negotiation, I will be there on the Sunday in time for the RMWeb Gathering, presumably at the 'Spoons as has become customary.

Oh and the booze on a canoe is a lot cheaper. My last trip it was $10 for a 24 pack of Olympia from the grocery store by the dock.

$10 for a two-four, Andrew? That must have been quite some time ago!

• Like 6

Good morning one and all

Strepsils have just been added to the list for the fodder run.  I do hate being on less than full power and subjecting myself to chemical warfare but waking up with a sore throat was not what I had in mind for today.  Once the shopping expedition has been completed I plan to spend the day quietly, probably working on the cards.  Tonight I will watch as much of Children In Need as I can face before retiring early.  Tomorrow I intend to be at Portsmouth show.  I may or may not be the one with the face mask.

JohnDMJ, I'm up for the Sunday 'Spoons meet at Warley but I fear gravely that it may be just thee and me.  I know that many devout RMwebbers will be busy working on layouts, demo tables and the like and I know that Warley is too big to have a snowballs of seeing everything but it is sadly the case that, as a breed, they seem less and less inclined to meet one another and swap cordial greetings [blackcurrant for me, please].  The first time I met 'our' Flavio was at a Warley RMweb meet and we spent 45 minutes discussing the finer points of GW auto trailers!  Going out of the show to the 'Spoons was my idea because the beer inside the show was not very good.  Increasingly the same is true of the 'Spoons.  Hmmm.  Let me think about that.

Best wishes to the lonely and depressed, to all travellers and to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving and missing.  Snuffle.

Chris

Cue long explanations of Fraggle Rock not being in the UK.

Then you better not be bringing up any old chat on here about IOM government dysfunction. Hippos can be bluddy dangerous you know :)

Our doctor retired - actually some time ago - so Lorna got us into a different practice. It's actually a lot more convenient anyway. We had a "meet and greet" with the new doc on Tuesday. What we didn't realize was that the doc actually planned to ambush us with full-on examinations. Now, I've been a naughty boy, and I had not been to a doc for some time, and new doc was more than a bit concerned when he discovered my pulse was only clonking along at a sedate 43 PPM.

Mention was made of pacemakers, and I don't think he was thinking of Jerry & Co. Referral to cardiologist is being arranged - Yikes!

Bugrit. That settles it - I'm going skiing in Telluride. I'm sure the altitude will be beneficial. Hope my knee doesn't give out.

I've been busy with an idea. Unashamed plug herewith ('onest guv. It's not really about trains.)

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most, evening to those currently in the Southern hemisphere!

Shopping at be done, phone calls to be made then we are off to Cleethorpes. Tea at Steels (hopefully skate and chips followed by a pint (or two). Tomorrow will involve travelling, umpiring, I re travelling and then listening to herself playing in an orchestra.

But first... Mug of tea to be drunk...

Have a great day/evening all!

Baz

• Like 15

Morning All,

First of all, Happy Birthday to Pete.

We have a fairly mild morning here, although blustery.  The current plan is to leave work relatively early so that I can do a practise language test this afternoon.  Tomorrow is the big day!

Assuming I pass, I then have to take care of the paperwork.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

After Yesterdays Thunder hail etc,I went out 30 minutes later to find beautiful blue skies with a black line of clouds disappearing in the distance. There were also hail drifts of a couple of inches around the cars, the windward side of car was clean too, though the lee ward side was as muddy as ever. however four trips down our road soon made it all muddy again. you can guess why I don't clean the outside of our car... There were big piles of leaves under the trees on the way as the hail had stripped the leaves off of some of them.

As to the four trips I got home at about 16:00 15 minutes later than normal, because after the storm all the parents came out in their cars for the 100 yards drive from the house to the 5 schools I Have to pass on the way home. absolute chaos, as the increased number of cars clogged the roads totally instead of mostly. the it was a quick wash and brush up and turn round and drive back to Norwich for 18:30 and our curry on the company, good it was too, didn't finally get home till 22:00.

Roads this morning dry or damp, clear skies, but still windy so all those leaves were now blown against the hedges or buildings.

For traffic chaos try Saudi Arabia, 

On a three line highway you are parked 1 row behind a white line at the lights how many cars are in front of you?

8 they squeeze 4 into the 3 lanes and will have an extra row in front of the white line. The cars on the right of course will want to turn left and the ones on the left will want to turn right. None will use their indicators but all will use their horns.

To change lanes just gradually move your car across doesn't matter if there is something already  there.

Traffic lights.., changing to amber and red go faster, changing to red go faster still,steady Red stop ... maybe if you can . Lights on the crossing carriagway change to orange + red, Blare your horns, your carriagway changing to orange,  leave in a cloud of tyre smoke.

The traffic police are asleep in their cars under the motorway bridges to keep out of the sun. unless they have been told to arrest a number of people for speeding.  then they will walk down a line of cars in a traffic jam and arrest all the westerners for speeding.  Why Westerners? well if they arrest a local the local might have connections and they'd be in deep trouble, There is no point arresting the cheap far eastern labour they don't get paid enough to pay the fines. So they arrest the westerners, because they know the westerners can't get a visa to leave on holiday unless all fines have been paid...

Edited by TheQ