The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It did seem quite a large vodka martini, now that I think back to it.

You're not allowed to use your own credit and debit cards on board; everything has to be on the Cunard charge card which doubles as the electronic door key to your cabin. It's only when you return to home port that the final (whopping) bill is presented  :O 

We got an interim bill about 10 days into the cruise and a final bill on the last morning. On some of P&O ships the cabin tv can display your current expenditure. This wasn't available on the Queen Elizabeth. I believe you could enquire at the pursers office.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Somewhere in the North Sea I realised that maritime internet services were very expensive.  :O  :scared:

When at sea I leave my phone on but have data roaming off. Once in range of European shores I turn it back on as I get unlimited data and cheap calls as part of my O2 package . I kept it off near the North African coast though, that would have been as expensive as the Maritime service.

• RMweb Premium

The beach was nice and quiet today (and warm).

All pretty much packed and ready for the 4-5 hour drive to Charlotte.

4 direct and 5 via Augusta, if only to stand outside (and photograph) the gates of Augusta National Golf Course.

The decision will be taken over breakfast.

A quick hop to Philly, where the forecast isn't too chilly (see what I did there?) for the long haul overnight to Manchester.

Part of the fun for the NB family over the past few days has been spotting license plates from the 50 states. So far we're up to 48... At least 5 Alaska plates have been noticed down here in the South.

The mkissing two are Hawaii and Wyoming. Somehow, Hawaii may be a no-go tomorrow, and Wyoming is relevant as being the other, as it's the US state with the lowest population.

Have a good Thursday folks.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Part of the fun for the NB family over the past few days has been spotting license plates from the 50 states. So far we're up to 48... At least 5 Alaska plates have been noticed down here in the South.

The mkissing two are Hawaii and Wyoming. Somehow, Hawaii may be a no-go tomorrow, and Wyoming is relevant as being the other, as it's the US state with the lowest population.

Does this count? :sungum:

post-1557-0-24998300-1479360927_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

8oC and dry at the moment after last night's rain. Forecast is for sunny spells, scattered blustery showers and the chance of hail and thunder. Lovely.

I managed to get some more ballasting done yesterday but it's taking a lot longer than I planned. Trouble is after an hour or so I get bored with it. At this rate HS2 will be completed before my layout.

Today's main task is shopping at Sainsbury's  which will take a while as we're having a bit of a do on Saturday. My presence is essential to make sure that the correct quantity and type of alcoholic beverages are purchased. I can safely leave the food side of things to Herself although I might slip a couple of treats into the trolley for me. :yes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening to some, morning to most.

I will try and use a projected window of dryness today to collect my prescription from our local chemist.

Today her indoors has said I can do some railway modelling. Ooh err! What shall I do?

I tried out a loco I had bought the other day. Looks like it had a wonky chassis...err no, out of the 6 driving wheels one is 1mm bigger in diameter than the rest. So changing this may be a god idea. Anyone got a 22mm Romford insulated driving wheel? I know I had some but where???

Enjoy your day!

Baz

Good morning one and all

The Area Group meeting was good but the journey there and back was not.  Junction 13 was snarled but for those coming from the Bedford direction there is a simple way round it that necessity made me discover.  What should have been a 45 minute journey took just shy of an hour.  Coming back was even worse.  I wish I had known in advance of the plan to close the M1 north of Junction 11 and would have used the A6 instead.  The 45 minute journey was accomplished in 80 minutes.

Just for the hell of it I made chicken korma for lunch.  So far there are no ill effects.  Hitherto I have maintained that I don't like curry and it doesn't like me but the discovery that I can cope with a mild one has the potential to unlock all sorts of social opportunities.  There will be more home-cooked korma, not last because the contents of the jar of sauce are supposed to serve 4 and I do do hate waste.

The impulsive creature in me decided that I needed a haircut yesterday morning.  My barnet had got to the stage where it was like trying to comb a brillo pad.  Such major surgery is best accomplished first thing in the morning.  The only downside is that the salon staff insist on having the radio tuned to Chris Evans but a shampoo and style does not take very long.  After that experience I bought the stamps for the C******mas cards.  Today I plan to print the address labels and finish the text of the round robin before trotting off to the copy bureau with it.  All plans are subject to disruption!

It is nearly time for breakfast and laundry, oh happy day.  Best wishes to all.

Chris 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Breakfast sorted. Eggs on toast with a twist of salt and pepper. All washed down with a very nice cup of tea.

Somewhat moist here today.

Weather wise, slightly inclement. Some rain but unable to gauge severity due to it being dark o'clock.

Quiet time here so a spot of playing trains before work.

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

The ER Time was 0:49 this Morning and I couldn't get back to sleep even with the help of watching the continuous news well not till about 03:30 then I awoke again at 04:50....

rumble rumble thump thump thump beep beep beeo rumble rumble thump thump thump BEEEEEEEEEP rumble beep beep

Yes they were loading the sugar beet again yesterday, at least they stopped at 20:00 last night, the previous year it was 22:00. Mind You SWMBO will not be a happy bunny this morning as the first empty 44 ton Artic thundered 6ft past our door, as I tried to leave the gate at 06:00. They turn at the farmers yard 400 yards down the road ant then shake the house again as they come back and park up to be loaded.

Our road is looking like a ploughed field again, rain forecast later with high winds, but nothing compared to the forecast for Sunday that should wash the roads clean.

Dry roads at the moment though.

Nearly took out a cyclist at about 06:30 this morning, entirely dressed in black including his shoulder bag, on a black bike and no lights.......

Time to go and get set up more shunts to get done today...

Morning all. A grey start to the day and it's meant to be wet at times. Not that I care as I don't have to go out until this evening.

Report writing for the next 2 days which at least means that I can look in more frequently.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from our village. Weather looks to be mixed today. Not a huge amount to do this morning apart from a run into Morley to do some banking. Then this afternoon the preparations for the Wakefield Show start with two of us picking up the lorry and loading the portable stage and stack of chairs from my church. In the evening we start laying the hall out. Hopefully we will be able to dodge the worst of the showers.

Mick (NB) If you allow photos for the licence plate challenge I've got a slide of a Wyoming one somewhere.

All the best to everyone else in the word of ER's.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a damp looking but clearing skies Surrey.

No prizes for guessing the time keeping of the train this morning. 7 out of 7 journeys delayed this week.

Other half has finished here train trips for the week as sh is working from home as boiler man is due to service the boiler.

Tonight we load Banbury into the car ready for the journey up to Wakefield. Luckily not too early a start as we will wait for the worst of the London orbital car park to ease.

Moaning all from a sunny but still boring borough. Its so boring. (how boring is it?) Its so boring that a recent bridge reopening in Bexley village attracted 3 whole members of the public. <<that snippet made one of the local news blogs. Something slightly less boring is that Southeast Models have moved from Erith to Welling. No I'd never heard of them either. From what I gather they are a Hornby box shifter of sorts. Everything on their website seems to be from the Hornby group. Airfix, Corgi, Scalex, Hornby, Humbrol. At least I can get a tin of paint within walking distance.

Starting to formalise my escape plan from life, the universe, everything. Basically, I'm fed up and need a major change. If all goes to plan, a plan so cunning that you'd think it had a degree in cunning from Cunning University, I may be able to shave 3 years off my retirement date.

Work is a bucket of poo at the moment. I'm playing piggy in the middle between 2 projects who are fighting over my availability and having to be the puppet master behind the scenes for a live demo. Everyone else got to be on the jolly to Germany. Not me. If project B wins the fight then next week I'm stuck in fecking Stevenage. The week after that I'm going to be in bloody Wakefield. (too late to help Ian & Banbury though) Ian, can you recommend a hotel? Really don't fancy having to stay with the rest of the plebs. Of course if project A wins the fight none of the above will happen and I will be working from home for the next 2 weeks.

That's enough grumbling from me. Have a good one.

Good morning from a dull and very wet Somerset. Another 7mm since midnight to add to the 10mm of rain we had yesterday.

I thought my sore throat cold was on its way out, but last night it seemed to return with a vengeance. It might be a morning for watching the test match, but with India at 194-2 and England's rather inept bowling, that is not a pretty sight either.

At least the wrist RSI has gone away, and keyboard typing is possible again.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Premium

Moaning all from a sunny but still boring borough. Its so boring. (how boring is it?) Its so boring that a recent bridge reopening in Bexley village attracted 3 whole members of the public. <<that snippet made one of the local news blogs. Something slightly less boring is that Southeast Models have moved from Erith to Welling. No I'd never heard of them either. From what I gather they are a Hornby box shifter of sorts. Everything on their website seems to be from the Hornby group. Airfix, Corgi, Scalex, Hornby, Humbrol. At least I can get a tin of paint within walking distance.

Starting to formalise my escape plan from life, the universe, everything. Basically, I'm fed up and need a major change. If all goes to plan, a plan so cunning that you'd think it had a degree in cunning from Cunning University, I may be able to shave 3 years off my retirement date.

Work is a bucket of poo at the moment. I'm playing piggy in the middle between 2 projects who are fighting over my availability and having to be the puppet master behind the scenes for a live demo. Everyone else got to be on the jolly to Germany. Not me. If project B wins the fight then next week I'm stuck in fecking Stevenage. The week after that I'm going to be in bloody Wakefield. (too late to help Ian & Banbury though) Ian, can you recommend a hotel? Really don't fancy having to stay with the rest of the plebs. Of course if project A wins the fight none of the above will happen and I will be working from home for the next 2 weeks.

That's enough grumbling from me. Have a good one.

Wakefield isn't too bad Andrew.  I've sent you a PM.

Jamie

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's a beautiful sunny day and I'll be spending it in the kitchen baking cakes. Indent mind the baking,miss the fact that it's sunny outside! However, it's a good job that I am staying inside this morning! I've just had a phone call from Mrs W saying she's forgotten to pick up her front door keys, so I'll need to be in so I let her in when she gets back from her Zumba class.

Back later

• Like 13

The new washing machine works and is easy to operate. However, the rain is so heavy at the moment, we could just hang the dirty washing on the line and let the elements do the rest. Ah, the rain has just turned to hail. It really is very dark outside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chris Evans show,

Auctions for Children in need...

Take that to come and play at your place....

Went for..........

£1.1 MIllion!!!!!!

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 9